Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 12-09-2005, 01:08 PM   #1
JLO35

Default Getting My Husband Back

After many, many months of wondering where my husband went both physically and emotionally, a push from me to make him see his physicain finally made it possible for him to reach out for help. This is all really new to me, but it appears he has been suffering an addiction for over a year and a half. We went through Thanksgiving weekend holding each other, crying, and for him it was a weekend full confessions. The pains he was having going through WD symptoms which were extremely frightening to me. Before the weekend was over by the grace of God one of the doctors licensed to administer Suboxone called. It was Sunday at like 3 in the afternoon. Sunday just happened to be the worst of the days. I was actually afraid to leave him alone for long.

Throughout the weekend together I found out that my husband whom I share a home with, had been "eating" 40 10mg vicodin a day on an average, so as he spoke with the doctor, I could tell he was getting him in asap. You could see the pain and misery leave his face as he hung up the phone.

He has been on sub for 9 days today. I find myself smiling because the withdrawn, pale, skinny man I had been living with for the last year and a half was leaving our home and the man I married was coming back to me.

I don't know what the future holds for us. But I know that what ever happens we are in it together. He was afraid to tell me what he had been going through with trying to detox himself, to methedone, to...well it wasn't pretty. Now, he knows that I'm in his corner and the fact I am getting my man back is reward enough for me.

Unread 12-09-2005, 01:17 PM   #2
Phoenix

That is an amazing story and just the hope I'm looking for. Please keep us posted as to how recovery is going. Also, I'd love to hear your hubby's story about how he feels physically on Suboxone. Any side effects? If you haven't already read my six million posts, I am dealing with my boyfriends heroin addiction. He was on Naltrexone but had such a bad reaction that he decided to go off without telling me and went back to heroin. A devestation to my world beyond anything imaginable. (at least for me). I am trying to gauge how he will be physically on Sub. Everyone here has very positive things to say, I guess I just need as much reinforcement as possible. Thanks.
Judy
Unread 12-09-2005, 04:47 PM   #3
JLO35

Pheonix,
I so far am pleasantly surprised to see how well he is doing. Granted, I'm not going to try and act like I know the difference between a heroin and a vicodin addict. The common bond is that they both were/are addicted.

We are working with a local doctor and he is an amazing man. He had my husband in there on the first visit, gave him the induction dosage and by the time he was home I could actually see a glimmer of the man I met 18 years ago. It was a wonderful feeling. As far as the first couple days on subutex, the only adverse effect was that he was having a difficult time falling asleep. His doctor said that it might happen and considering we were away day in and day out during his home detox, it was almost normal. He gave hubby enough to get him to his next appointment where we told the doctor about his inabilily to sleep. Doc put gave him (4) Ambiens and told him 2 days on and 2 days off. That seemed to get him on a better schedule. Granted, he has had extremely stressful days since being on subutex, and on those days he admittingly took an extra 1/2 dose (he is on 8mg once a day). Well, they don't give refills on this stuff so he shorted himself and had to go 2 whole days on a half of his regular dose. I could tell just by looking at his face when he would come home from work that something wasn't jiving. He told me why. We went to an appointment day before last and the doctor told him that he was to take his 8mg a day and if he felt "edgy" or "anxious" don't take another half...take this - and gave him some instant stress relief "wafer" called Klonopin. It's a melt in your mouth deal that works fast if your getting that "icky" feeling. Luckily he hasn't had to take one yet.

This is all very new to us. I get a little worried still that he is thinking this is going really good for him. I need him to be more like "Ok, this is going well, let's keep it going well". His doctor tells us that he will probably be on this dosage of subutex for at least 6 months before the weening process starts. That will be an entirely different story.

Yes, I ramble, and for that I am sorry.

Unread 12-09-2005, 06:31 PM   #4
Phoenix

Oh my goodness, don't you dare apologize for rambling, I'M QUEEN RAMBLE. LOL Well that's good news because I know Tony has anxiety about starting because he isn't sure if he's going to feel good. With Naltrexone, he felt horrible. Okay, so what was hubby's induction dose and what is his daily dose now. It sounds like he's on 8mg now but I may be missing something. Tony's doc gave him a script for 14 2mg tabs. He, of course, can't use it because he hasn't been in for induction yet. What confuses me most is that he has to use the meds we bought for induction. So I'm wondering if she will start with 1 2mg tab and see his reaction, if nothing, 1 more 2mg tab. etc. etc. until she can find his stablization dose??? I'd be curious to hear your story.
Judy
Unread 12-10-2005, 01:09 AM   #5
JLO35

The first induction dose was 4mg. Doctor started sort of a counseling session, hooked him up for an EKG to see how his heart was reacting, than gave him another 4mg. By the time he left he felt "euphoric"...his words. The doctor said that this feeling would remain for a few days, but would even out. And it has.

Ask away Judy.

I'll help you as much as possible, k?
Unread 12-10-2005, 02:03 AM   #6
Phoenix

Thanks for your help. I'm trying to compile as much information as I can so Tony can have a stress free induction. I'm glad it's working out for you guys.
J