Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 11-10-2005, 04:05 PM   #1
russell

Default 1st appointment

Yesterday was my 1st bupe doc appointment. Of course insurance won't cover it. Doc said 1st visit would be $225 (CASH) & $150 per month after that (plus script cost). I told him I was $30 short. He said make an appointment for Friday, but they could not get me back in till Monday. He asked if I would make it that long. No, I said, I won't make it another hour! Come back in my office, he said. "I'll take the $195 you have if you will pay the balance on your next vist". I paid the man & he gave me a hand written reciept. I doubt that will be reported income! Anyway he gave me a scrip for 2mg Suboxone. I'm to take 1 & wait 2 hours. if i still have withdrawl symptoms, I take 1 more & wait 2 hours. I repete this again, for a total of 3 (max) my first day. Day 2 I am to start with 3 & take 1 more after 2 hours (if needed). this will tell me the dose i need to be on. I'm not to take more than 4 total (8mg) per day. He said if I still have symptoms, just live with them. I tried to get the script filled at cvs & walgreens. Niether had it in stock. They both called other pharmacies, but couldn't locate any, so I had to order it. It will take about a week to come in. How frustrating!! I asked the doc, when i find the right dose, do I take it all at once or take half in morning and half in evening? he said whatever works for me. now my questions:
What is the best way to take it?
Is 8mg enough for an 8 yr vicodin addiction (6-12 per day)?
Will the pharmacy stock it, or will I have to order it every
month?
Is the cost in line with other doctors?
If Suboxone works,I don't mind paying out of my pocket, after all, it's still cheaper than buying pills on the street. I do mind lining a docs pocket with unreported income!
Thanks to all who responded to my earlier post, your all in my thoughts. THANK YOU,
Russ
Unread 11-10-2005, 04:21 PM   #2
Mary

Russell, any chance you can get into another doctor? One that accepts your insurance. Something just doesn't sound right with this one. First off, nevermind about the cash only gig. But my first appointment and many others I have talked to and read about here, are in the doctor's office when they take their first dose(s) so they can be monitored by the doctor and made stable. God that was a frustrating day. I'm so sorry. The dosing just doesn't sound right to me - I was given 4mg to start and I was watched for withdrawal symptoms. And 'just live them'????? That's what the Suboxone is for. So you don't have them.

I'm hoping Dr. Will or Caroline will be able to clear this up for you. It just sounds fishy to me. Hang in there Russ, I'm sure we'll get an answer.
Unread 11-10-2005, 05:25 PM   #3
Dr.Will

Hi Russell,
The most important thing is to wait until you are in withdrawal before you take any buprenorphine. Otherwise, it can cause it. Read this section: http://naabt.org/education/what_bt_like.cfm

8 mgs./day should be enough. Patients with heavy heroin addiction stabilize on 16mg. If it isn't your doc should increase your dose until the withdrawal is gone, that's what it is for. You shouldn't have to "live with" any withdrawal.

As far as how often to take it; some studies have given it every third day, so once a day would be fine and is recommended. some people have trouble sleeping, so the morning is a good time. But if you have cravings in the afternoon, then split up the dose, it really doesn’t matter physically.

Price is a little high but not way out of line.

The pharmacy should be able to overnight any medication they don’t stock, try calling CVS or Wallgreens corporate headquarters.

My only concern is the docs philosophy of limiting you to 8mgs. Now that may be enough for you, and probably is, but the fact that he would arbitrarily set a limit is contrary to protocol.
Dr.Will
Unread 11-10-2005, 06:33 PM   #4
Caroline

Russ, I take a number of factors into consideration when administering the first dose of Suboxone in the office, either a 2 mg dose or a 4 mg dose...these are...length of time of drug use, amount of drug regularly used, level of withdrawal on the Clinical Opiate Withdrawal scale, and body size. If a patient is borderline on the withdrawal scale, I may give only a test dose of 1 mg. My prescribing of Suboxone can be influenced by the number of detox or other treatment episodes, the likelihood of relapse and intensity of drug cravings, the presence of other medical conditions, eg, HCV (hepatitis C pos), psychological problems, and other subtle indicators. I've found that various docs have different methods of bupe induction, detox, and maintenance, but I allow patients enough bupe to occupy 100% of the opiod receptor sites (16 mg)...sometimes more is needed, sometimes less. Most pharmacies carry the 8 mg suboxone tabs (in my area anyway), the 2 mg seem to be harder to get and so may have to be ordered in advance. If you are paying for your own scripts, it is cheaper to get the 8 mg tabs and break it into halves. Some of my patients will even break it into quarters, not as easy to do, but because bupe is so long lasting (2-3 days), it really doesn't matter if they get an exact dose. Being able to have only 30 patients, I don't think most docs are lining their pockets providing bupe treatment. I probably have the cheapest rates for treatment in my area...but, it just about covers the cost of my malpractice insurance, licensing fees (6), professional society dues, Continuing Medical Education costs, office rental fees and office supplies, etc. Malpractice insurance is going up again this coming year, and I may be forced to raise my fees a bit. Hope this helps.
Unread 11-11-2005, 12:47 AM   #5
leeglegle

Russell:

Welcome! You are among understanding friends. I want to give you the same advice as Mary.

Listen to what Caoline and Dr. Will have to say. They are both suboxone qualified physicians who are selflessly donating their their time and advice to this website for the only purpose of helping people such as you, Mary and myself.

Mary and I can give you advice and encouragement as people who have encountered your problems. Do not hesitate to call on us for advice or help.

In the meantime, hang in there. You are going to change your life in ways you could only imagine before suboxone treatment.

Stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Peace, love and all the best,
Robert
Unread 11-11-2005, 12:59 PM   #6
russell

Mary & Robert, THANK YOU for the compassion. Dr. Will & Caroline THANK YOU for the quick response & non-judgemental advice. Mary, I have Aetna select insurance. the doc takes my insurance, but said there is not a billing code for opiate addiction treatment.
Please understand that although i to felt something was 'fishy' I was very grateful to the doc for helping me before i left his office. Out of compassion or greed, The doctor gave me what I went there for. Considering I detoxed for 24 hours before my appointment, I left his office happy, & full of antisipation. Ready to start a new chapter in my life. Excited! When I left the 1st pharmacy I was in agony and, well, you know...
Dr. Will & Caroline, let me explain fishy. I was ushered into his office. No b.p. check. No weight check. few questions regarding use. no questions about past attempts at quitting. I felt like I was just buying a script, which , I guess, I was. Since I was starting a new med, I was expecting to at least have my B.P. checked.
BUT, He could have turned me away when I was short on cash. Made me come back. He didn't! He also trusted me to pay the balance on my next visit. It sounds like a lot of folks must jump through hoops to get bupe. I didn't. He knew what I needed, & he gave it to me.
I'm concerned about his 8 mg limit, but Dr. Will has given me hope regarding this. As I read the post & see usage as high as 30 or 50 pills/day, & being helped by bupe, I am just stunned. I can't wait to 'just feel normal'. My highest usage was 15 vic ES before rehab in Jan. 03. I feel weak & hopeless that I can't kick a 6-12 pill habit.
As an employed, tax-paying citizen, voter, who do I petition to change these outlandish laws regulating bupe treatment?
What can I really do to help?
Dr. Will & Caroline, keep up the good work. You are more help than you will ever know!!
Unread 11-11-2005, 02:01 PM   #7
spar7an117

Russ,

So as to not belabor the excellent points listed above, I would agree with the stated information to seek another doctor. Having ogne through this over a yearago, I found a Physican (after some extensive search) that was empathic and truly understands the disease state...and was more interested in my recovery and treatement than payment.

He said that I had ot be in a mild wwithdrawal because the bupe has such a strong clinging ability to the site in the brain that it will actually knock off any other drugs already there. I barely made it to the office, and in about 45 minutes, I finally felt normal for the first time in years.

Hope this helps and remember you are among caring, compassionate patients and professionals here that can help!
Unread 11-14-2005, 09:07 PM   #8
spanky

russell Hi first off let me assure you that you ARE AMONG FRIENDS.We all have been there,done that, and bought the T-shirt if you know what I mean.Your question of what can I do caught my attention please see my and Tim's post under Let's make our voices heard on this site.There is much work to do concerning this drug and how it's prescribed and the laws that govern it.We could use your help!Please keep us posted as to your progress.I hope things get better and stay that way for you!.....PEACE SPANKY
Unread 11-16-2005, 10:54 AM   #9
Mary

Russell- How are you doing? Any word on your script coming in, perhaps early? Let us know. Thinking of you.
Mary
Unread 11-16-2005, 11:40 PM   #10
leeglegle

Russell:

Where are you? If you've started appropriate sub treatmnet, I'm confident you're in a better place.

On the other hand, if you haven't started, I'm worried for you.

PLEASE let us know what's happening and how we can help. PLEASE!

Call me at (757) 672-8082 if you need to talk.

Robert
Unread 11-17-2005, 06:29 PM   #11
russell

To my friends-
Thank you all for your concern! Sorry I haven't posted sooner, but I had a lot to say & needed time to write. Dr. Wills advice to call Walgreens corp. office was simple but effective. My script was available 4 days earlier than expected. I called Saturday & it was ready. Unfortunately, the co-pay was $50 & I couldn't afford to pick it up till payday,Tuesday the 15th. Its been a tough week, but whats a week compared to 8 yrs of hell? Whats a week compared to the rest of your life? Anyway, its thursday afternoon (day 3!) & I feel great!
I picked up the suboxone at noon on Tuesday. I was close to 24 hrs of detox & was feeling lousey, but in a good mood from the anticipation. I decided to wait till 3pm (24 hrs).Very cold, runny nose, watery eyes, high anixity. when the cramps kicked in at 2pm I knew it was time. I took the 1st dose (2mg) right at 2. By 2:35 my cramps were gone! At 4pm I still had most other symptoms & took my 2nd dose (look at me! taking meds "as directed"). By 4:40 most symptoms were gone. At 6, I still had some anixity & took a 3rd dose. In 15 min I felt fantastic!
I'm a 46/yr old, divorced father with custody of my 6/yr daughter & 7/yr son. I have zero support from any extended family. For years I've relied on pills to get me through making dinner, doing dishes, house cleaning, laundry, homework, baths, cub scouts (i'm a den leader!), girl scouts, modeling classes,& all the things that make up a families life. The guilt was horrible! Everybody else deals with life & I wasn't able to. I tried everything to stay clean: self help books, meditation, religion, native american wisdom, positive thinking, vitimin therepy, shamanism, counciling, n/a meetings, 1 rehab stay, & the good old stand-by: white knuckle, skin of your teeth, cold turkey! I quit for the 1000th time at the end of September for 1 week, for my daughters birthday. I really wanted her to have her father back, clean. God, the shame of relapse! Everyone tells me i'm a great father, how there so lucky to have me. It would make me cringe to here it! If they only knew how sad & pathetic I was without my vicodin!
Anyway, Tuesday, for the first time in years, I picked up the kids after work & made dinner,took my daughter to modeling class, finished homework & ran baths, All WITHOUT VICODIN! My energy level was high all evening & not one single craving! NO DEPRESSION! I felt as if the weight of the world had been lifted from my shoulders.
BUT, by 9pm I developed a slight headache. I had trouble sleeping & by 4am I got up & took 2 asprin. I got sick when I woke up at 6am. After my shower & coffee, I felt better & had no withdrawal symptoms. I decided 6mg was to much (and I was worried 8mgs wouldn't be enough!), so day 2 (wed), I broke one in half, and took 5 mg. on my way to work. I felt great all day! normal energy level, good mood, no headache or nausea. I took the kids to a roller skating party in the evening, ALL WITHOUT VICODIN! ALL ON ONE 5MG DOSE AT 8AM! I just can't belive it!
As we all snuggled in a chair reading a bedtime story last night the relief I felt was overwhelming!
"Dad, what's the matter?"
"Nothing, honey. daddys ok."
"Are you crying?"
"Yeah, just a little."
"Why, daddy? Why are you crying?"
"I'm just so happy!"
"That's silly!"
"I know. I love you so much"
"I love you to & i'm happy to!"
Our childhoods were so different. I had a horrible childhood till I was removed from my at home at age 11 (I know this is just an excuse & envied well adjusted people with worse situations). I never adjusted an became alcholic. I've been sober 12 years now, but understand I traded one addiction for another. The fact I can stay "normal" by taking medicine is amazing! Being stable on 5 mgs gives me hope for the future.
I don't know if there is a "honeymoon period" with suboxone, but I plan on being very careful of triggers in the coming weeks.
Anyway, day 3 is going great. I woke up symptom free & feeling fine. I took a 5mg dose at 8am. Its a cold, cloudy november day here in Detroit, But in my world, the sky never looked so blue! The air never smelled so good! The flowers are blooming! The birds are singing! It's a great day to be alive!
Not only has suboxone given me another chance at life, it has given my kids their daddy back!
I hope my story motivates ANYONE with a drug problem reading it to seek out a doctor, get on suboxone & get on living your real life! Don't become discouraged & give up. PUT AS MUCH EFFORT INTO YOUR RECOVERY AS YOU DO INTO FINDING YOUR NEXT FIX!!

I don't know if this post was proper for this forum, but THANK YOU ALL FOR THE THEREPY! I HAD A FEW THINGS TO GET OFF MY CHEST!
I will try to check in on everybody daily, & next time i'll keep it short & to the point.
with love & compassion to all!
Russ
Unread 11-17-2005, 07:15 PM   #12
gwen

russ! i am so incredibly happy for you and your two little ones! they have their daddy back. it's wonderful to hear you so full of life. isn't it amazing? i'm glad you took the time to write. i particularly love the bedtime story part. brought such a warmth to my heart. you certainly have been through so much in life, i'm glad the suboxone is bringing you to a good, happy, safe place. will you get counseling? i found it very helpful, especially when i found i was no longer depressed with the suboxone and always had a problem with depression. it's helping me with the guilt of being a mom relying on oxys to cope. we're the same age, but my kids are 18 and 20. and i just felt so guilty for 'losing' 5 years to oxys - doing the mom thing, but with the self-meds to get through it. the counseling helps so much because i can think much more clearly. you mentioned you don't have support from the extended family. we'll give you all the support we can. write when you can. and don't worry about how long or short the note is. we're all here for each other! as for the honeymoon period. after 5 months, i still look forward to each day and once again find beauty and laughter in all the little things i overlooked in the 'dark days' and don't even think about using. not even a twinge.
much love and peace-
gwen
p.s. give the little ones an extra hug and kiss for me!
Unread 11-18-2005, 11:13 AM   #13
Mary

Russ! Welcome back to feeling normal! I'm really glad everything with the script worked out. Phew. I'm excited that this medication is most likely the end of your long search. You indeed tried way more than most people I know, including myself. Gwen had good points about counseling, so I won't be repetitive. And I'll also chime in, nothing is too long or too short to write here. We are all here for each other. You are truly a wonderful, loving father.
Depression and addiction are both diseases. You've had one hell of a life with no support. Everyone 'deals' in different ways. I believe self-medication is generally a sign of depression, a lot of us have been there, done that. Shed the guilt. It's the past. Wasted energy. You're looking a brand new life - drug-free, therefore guilt-free. Ok. Enough of the lecture. Go have a great weekend with those lucky children!
With love and happiness!!
Unread 11-18-2005, 12:18 PM   #14
rac1210

Russ:

Bravo!! Sounds like you are a great man and a great dad. Your kids are lucky to have you. It may sound trite but everything happens for a reason.. maybe your journey and road to recovery happend to inspire others who are still in the rat hole of addiction. Find your own program of recovery that works best for you and reach out and help pull another person out of their rat hole. I promise you it will enhance your own recovery.
Unread 11-18-2005, 09:30 PM   #15
spanky

Russ WOW I'm a little overwhelmed at the moment.It's stories like that from people like you that make me know that GOD is alive and well and sits on the throne in his kingdom!He reaches out to us when we need him most .He uses our weaknesses sometimes to teach us and to make us remember just how blessed we are and to remind us to be thankful for what we have.I know just from that post that you sir are a good man and a wonderful father.Don't be so hard on your self concerning the vics,addiction is a desease just like cancer and you have it.So maybe you were in the dark about it before but now you see.What a powerful testiment you are for this wonderful drug.My eyes are a bit moist.When it comes to stuff like this I'm a big ol GIRL (No offence ladies).My addiction may cost me my wife (currently seperated)I had to sell my house(currently living with friends)and nearly lost my job(had it not been for the Bupe)But even with all that crap I feel VERY blessed.I'm alive and feel well ,I'm in fairly good health,I have 2 WONDERFUL kids and am blessed with a chance to get my beautiful wife back (currently attended marrage counsling.)She is not nor ever has been a addict so she really can't relate to my struggles she thinks I should just be able to put it behind me.She can't even begin to understand withdrawal much less post acute withdrawal syndrome (P.A.W.S).She thinks it's all in my head and I'm making a big deal of it just be positive and presto you're all better.So I still have things to work out but your story was just the shot in the arm I needed. God bless you.......IN MY PRAYERS SPANKY
Unread 11-23-2005, 07:38 PM   #16
russell

My dear friends-
All of you have a wonderful holiday. I don't have the internet at home, so this is my last post until Monday. You guys have all been so awesome! The support on this site is fantastic! I wish I could give each & every one of you a hug!

I have so much to be thankful for:

Mary- THANK YOU! The kids & I had a GREAT weekend. We went bowling & worked on a dollhouse i've been to "sick" to finish.

Robert- THANK YOU! Your concern was so genuine. I plan to call you over the weekend.

Gwen- THANK YOU! WOW! 5 months clean! I plan on addressing counciling in future posts.

rac1210- THANK YOU! I totally agree everything happens for a reason! I plan to address this also in a future post.

spar7an117- THANK YOU! I've decided to stay with this doc for now. I want to avoid those hoops most people seem to have to jump through.

Robin- THANK YOU! I've bought so many t-shirts I could open a boutique. I'm gonna call you as well over the weekend.

Dr. Will & Caroline- THANK YOU! By the time people find this web site they are desperate & need answers NOW. The work you do here is incredible.

If I missed anybody, I'm sorry, But THANK YOU too!

Talk to you all after the holiday! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
I love each & every one of you!

with love & compassion,
Russ (scott)
Unread 11-23-2005, 09:18 PM   #17
Deehat

Wow! Hi All - I am new here and hopefully have found a new home! It is so encourging to hear this story! I am so happy that I have found out about this - it is a dream come true and definatly an answered prayer. I have been an addict for about nine years - somehow I have managed to raise my son on my own when my first husband died (enter vicodin). I am re-married now and my son is a Sr. in college. I am a professional woman and I love my job - everything in my life is perfect except for the fact that I am lying to everyone I love and I am a big hypocrite. I tried re-hab once and I have tried to quit on my own more times than I can remember but always came back to my drug of choice. I blamed myself for so long for being weak, I have really grown to hate my self and have even thought at my lowest point of what would happen if I were to have an accident on the way to work - just one quick turn of the wheel and it would be all over - no more pain. I dont want to do that - I have so much to live for. Now I see that there is hope, that there is actually something out there that could work for me!
I would go today but I have been unable to find a Dr. in my area that either does not currently have less than 30 patients, or is not taking new patients until mid December. I have an appointment on December 19th and I pray I can hang on until then. I promised myself I would not fill another script and in a moment of strength called my Dr. and told him that I was seeking treatment and I do not want him to prescribe anymore hydrocodone no matter what I say. I think he was more worried about me reporting him than my health. I am glad I found out now that he doesnt care about me at all. As far as the cost, I am lucky that I can afford it ecspecially since I wont be paying for vic's anymore! Sounds like the cost is minimal compared to what this can do for me. I am so encouraged by this and I really hope that it works for me. I plan on talking to my husband tonight and addmitting to him that I am using again, I know he will understand and support me, he is a great guy. I am really lucky. By the time I figured out that I no longer need the vic's it was far too late. I am hopelessly addicted. I will post again my progress. I left my name with several Drs. just in case there will be an earlier opening. I was also very surprised that out of all the Drs. I called, most were full which tells me that there are a lot of people out there like me. I certainly would not wish this on anybody, but it is good to know that I am not alone. God bless everyone! Say a little prayer for me!
Unread 11-24-2005, 01:05 AM   #18
Mary

Russ and all, have a very happy thanksgiving!!
always,
mary
Unread 11-24-2005, 01:11 AM   #19
Mary

Deehat, Welcome! My thoughts are with you. Hang in there, we're here to lend what support we can over the cyber-waves. That's a great move leaving your name with all those doctors in case there's an earlier opening. Addiction is a disease, so please remember that when you start blaming yourself. Give yourself a lot of credit. You're doing something about it! You've made the first important step. It's great that you have the support from your husband. That makes a world of difference. And, as you found out from the doctors who are at there limit, and from us here, you're not alone. Have a happy thanksgiving. We're here for you.
Unread 11-28-2005, 01:21 AM   #20
leeglegle

Russell:

What can I say after our long phone conversation? Thanks for calling. I was honored you trusted me with the intimate details of your struggles.

I was also comfortable to exchange my honest thoughts and motives with you.

Thank you.

Robert
Unread 12-14-2005, 07:58 PM   #21
russell

ARRRRRRGH!!! S**T! I just spent a frickin' hour writing a post regarding my first 30 days on suboxoe, & when i sent it I was not logged in & lost it! S**T! Oh well, all is good. Can't post again till Monday. Love you guys! I hope everything went cool with Tony today! Can't wait to read all about it tomorrow!
Love & compassion,
Scott
Unread 12-15-2005, 04:18 AM   #22
Phoenix

Hey Scott,
That happened to me a while back. LOL Well, if you've checked the board, and you're referring to my Tony, it didn't go well. Check under the post asking for help. This board does rule.
Judy
Unread 01-10-2006, 07:37 PM   #23
russell

Dear Friends-
I hope all had a great holiday! I haven't posted in so long! I have been extremely busy at work with some end of year projects & my boss quit at the end of December & left me hanging. I finished up yesterday & from here on out work should slow down a bit. I've been working 12 & 14 hour days the past few weeks (not complaining), & that creates child care issues, as many of you know.

Although I didn't have time to post, I have followed the storys on this board faithfully. When I was off 4 days over Christmas, I could hardly wait to get back to work to catch up on "Judy & Tony"!! I'm SO happy for them. Man, what a rollercoaster of emotions! Thank God legleegle, gwen, spanky, Jake & the rest had the PATIENCE to help Judy during her time of need. You guys are absolutely the most compassionate people I have never met!

Today is 56 days vicodin free! I have had a few issues regarding my dose, but all is good. I feel so alive & full of life! This medicine has changed my, & my childrens, lives.

Tomorrow I plan on posting updates about my treatment. Also, I have a lot to get off my chest! I also need some advice concerning my kids (My daughter didn't come w/instructions!). I have SO much to say, and no outlet to vent, so if you don't mind? This might not be the site for that (Tim,if not, please let me know), but I consider you all caring friends, & I respect your opinion.

I am so glad I will finially have time to post, I love you guys!

Scott!
Unread 01-10-2006, 08:11 PM   #24
Phoenix

Hi:
I certainly don't mind lending support. I too have 2 girls, neither came with instructions!! LOL You have no idea how grateful I am to everyone here on this board who guided me through my roller coaster of emotions without a harness, or even a seatbelt, quite a scary time. So, in turn, I am willing to dedicate myself to helping anyone who needs it. I had it because of the self-less-ness on this board and would be honored to help anyone who wanted to vent, talk, whatever. It was quite a saga, Tony and I, and now we get to start a healthy life together.
Judy
Unread 01-10-2006, 08:24 PM   #25
Mary

Scott!! I AM SO GLAD TO HEAR FROM YOU!! I figured you were up to your eyeballs with work and the childrens, but, yikes! Happy Christmas, Happy New Year, and Happy Day 56!! Can't wait to catch up! Missed you, Mary
Unread 01-11-2006, 07:23 PM   #26
russell

Dear Friends-
While I made reference to an instruction manual for my 6 yr old daughter, it is my 7 yr old son that I really need advice for. She is such a sweetheart! She took the divorce in stide & personality wise seems like the same little girl. My issues with her are of the "girlie" kind. I finally can do a decent ponytail & braids!. For pictures she wanted her hair curled and fixed nice, I tried for 2 hours & she just looked ridiculous. i just brushed it all out. she was so upset with me because i couldn't get it right. I polished her finger & toe nails (bright pink) Sunday night, She loves when we do that! I put lipstick on her (its harder than it looks, guys!) & she thought that was so cool, I thought she looked like a clown, But of course i didn't tell her anything but that she was beautiful! We do girl scouts together & dance class. We play barbies together & are building a doll house. I think its important for her to learn to be a lady- & i'm not the best teacher! I try to teach the basics: keep your fingernails clean, be carefull sitting "criss cross-apple sauce" with a dress on, keep yourself clean "there" or you will have issues & so on! Any others? I wish I could hide her away from the big, cold, cruel world & protect her from all those "nasty" little boys! But I know I can't. All I can do is prepare her for life & hope she makes right choices. Tomorrow I will post regarding problems i'm having with my son. Thanks for listening!

Love you all!
Scott

Unread 01-11-2006, 08:01 PM   #27
spanky

Scott I was just wondering what happened to you .Glad to hear from you and that all is well!Still on Bupe??Stay in touch dude.....SPANKY
Unread 01-12-2006, 02:34 PM   #28
russell

Hey Robin & all-
I did it again! wrote a long reply regarding my last 2 appointments & someone came to my desk so I minimized the screen, when I restored the screen everything was gone! It takes me to long to type to have to do it over! That just frosts my .....! So, let me try again!

Yeah Robin, still on sub. 58 days! I feel great! At first I thought 5 mgs was enough, But by late afternoon I would start to fell s**ty, & by the next morning I would feel really bad. I was not getting the 36-48 hour coverage others were reporting. I had to call the doc with the dose I was comfortable with so he could write my script for the balance of my first months supply. I told him 6mgs & he wrote it for that. Even on 6mg I would wake up feeling crappy. I would be fine all day, but by morning if I didn't dose as soon as I woke up, I would feel bad. At my second appointment in December, we discussed this. I asked if I could go to 8mgs & he said no, lets try 7mg. So now I take 3.5 pills(2mg) a day I am doing a lot better. I wake up still feeling good & wait till early afternoon to take my dose. Although I still don't get 36-48 hour coverage, I don't need to as long as I take it every day. I tested it by skipping a day to see how I felt. By the evening I had cramps, night sweats, ect. Not to bad, & certainly not as bad as 1 day without vicidin.

At my second appointment, I was called into the docs private office. The nurse came in, took my $150 & wrote me a receipt. No bp check, no nothing, just took my money & told me to wait for the doc. He came in & we discussed how I was feeling & he agreed to up my dose to 7mg. Then he spent the remaining time, about 15 min, talking about my children (my favorite subject!) He discussed the importance of extended family & making sure my kids felt safe & loved. I felt as if he didn't think I was a very good parent because of the drug use. Even during my heavest use in 03, my kids were well taken care of & my bills got paid. I just listened to what he had to say & agreed with him. No discussion regarding how long my treatment would be or a taper schedule. I was afraid to ask!

At my third appointment last Friday, same thing. The nurse took my money & I waited for the doc. He talked about the kids.He asked how I was doing. I told him great. He kept my dose at 7mgs & told me he is required to do blood work 6 times a year. I have to go to a different clinic next week (as soon as I can get a day off!) & get the tests. He told me to use this time to get my life in order so I can begin to "detox". Still didn't give me a time frame & I was still scared to ask! I guess i'll find out in February!

I would like to get down to 2mg/day, & stay there indefinitly(sp?) for the depression. I already am checking out other docs in the event he won't go for it. I think he will be willing to do a long, slow taper. He might not be the greatest doc in the world, but he does seem to have a grasp of the suffering a drug dependent person goes through.

Well, I have to do some work now, but will post later about some concerns with my son.

I truly love each & every one of you on this board & only wish you all the very best!

Scott

Unread 01-12-2006, 02:45 PM   #29
gwen

scott, i'm glad to hear you're doing well. your doctor has, well, an interesting approach. i'm glad that you're going to check into other doctors just in case. i loved the story about trying to curl your daughter's hair. i got such a visual!! it was so cute. you are such a loving and devoted father. i have a son, he's 21 now, but i'll try to go back in time!! it's so nice to hear from you again! love and peace, gwen