Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 05-25-2006, 09:12 PM   #101
DocsGetHooked2

I pay $5 for an 8mg Suboxone at Sam's Club. My doc charged $250 for induction and $100 per visit after that. I did not & do not use my insurance because insurance companies share your information similar to your credit history and it may impact my ability to get life insurance (or other types of insurance) in the future. It is an unfortunate situation considering my insurance covers all of this at reasonable rates.
DocsGetHooked2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2006, 09:22 PM   #102
BadHabits

How the hell do insurance companys "Share" information? That is a HIPPA violation at its best!!! NOT MAD, JUST SHOCKED!!
BadHabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2006, 09:46 PM   #103
SomeDayBFree

Neil ~

Anytime you apply for a policy, start with a new doctor, etc., you are given a form to sign authorizing them to obtain information about you. Most people don't think twice and sign it.

The bottom line is that signing that piece of paper is a requirement to obtain whatever service/insurance, etc. that you are trying to get. We voluntarily give away our privacy everyday . Whether we like it or not.

SomeDayBFree
SomeDayBFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2006, 10:41 PM   #104
BadHabits

Wow!!! Very interesting and a friggin violation of health rights....

~~N~~
BadHabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2006, 11:25 PM   #105
Stacey

I'm also doing this without my insurance being involved. I was denied insurance due to the sharing of information between compaines. The culprit was shingles on my eyelid many years ago and see the eye dr. yearly to evaluate poss. damage. No insurance for me from Blue Cross. Unfortunately, I had to go to the emergency room about 4 or 5 days after my sub. induction for dehydration and mental status changes....there will be unwanted info on the record with that mess....[xx(]
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2006, 12:45 AM   #106
RemissionRocks

im sorry but i just think its freakin ridiculous that people get charged a 900 induction fee, and pay hundreds of dollars a month! that high cost probably makes it nearly impossible for lots of people to receive treatment that they need to receive! after discovering any doctor can get a DATA waiver online for 100 bucks (50 if they are in the APA), i am really disappointed that no doctor in my town of 35 thousand has one! i guess i could make a few more phone calls, but so far every nurse ive talked to that has asked their doctor has refused. they think that it will cause a ruckous in their office, causing tons of low life people to come there and ruin the calm atmosphere. what a crock. that really makes me mad. i mean i could understand why they may think that...especially after going to a methadone clinic...they have a bad reputation...and some people that do go are a little out of line, and act inappropriate. one more thing...
i saw this advertisement on tv... about getting discounts or paying next to nothing for medications. i went to the website, and found thousands of medications on there, from duragesic, to ms contin, the list goes on and on. yet...no subutex...and no suboxone. what gives? and i am really surprised after reading the FDA has approved suboxone and subutex for the use of chronic pain. <sigh>

Anyone have any suggestions on getting a discount? I mean I guess I really have no room to complain since I pay 65 a month for doctor visits, and 70 for the script...but it is still a lot of money...I remember the days when I paid 5 for a doctor visit, and only 3 for a script of oxycontin. why does this stuff have to be so costly?
RemissionRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2006, 12:35 PM   #107
chicagofire

I was charged $150 for my first visit, each additional visit is $75. I do have insurance, and if they cover my visits will be $18. I am not sure if they will pay or not yet, I did not pre-cert my visit with this doctor or have a referral from my GP. I get my medicing 28 8mg bup for $30.00

"Always do sober what you said you'd do stoned. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Hemingway
chicagofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2006, 06:48 PM   #108
Chuck

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cho55cho

I am curious. Are your insurance companies paying for the Buprenorphine pills?
Mine is, but I am not too sure they know what it is. My primary doctor is prescribing it. And my primary doctor, belongs in their list. It is an HMO.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2006, 05:33 PM   #109
bobsled

I guess I am fortunate. My health insurance allows for a mail-in rx, so a 90 day supply costs me $20.
My doc is good about this, I see him every two weeks to check in.
bobsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2006, 05:49 PM   #110
Mark1963

I payed three-hundred dollars for my first appointment last Thursday. I was given thirty Subutex. I was told that there is a possibility that my insurance will pay in the future and possibly re-imburse me for this first perscription.
Mark1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2006, 05:05 AM   #111
angipooh

Hi! Since I've been on Suboxone (Aug 2005) my insurance has always paid and I get 120 8mg a month for $50 and then I lost my job and my hubby had to put me on his insurance which is BCBS and now I pay $35 a month for 120 8 mg Suboxone at Walgreens. I see my ther/Dr every month and it is a $25 co-pay. I'm so blessed and Thankful that my insurance will cover this medication because I feel that I would not be here today if I did not get help and find a "great" Suboxone Dr.
angipooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2006, 06:18 AM   #112
cowboy

Just purchased my first script last week her in Oregon. For 30 8mg pills the price is $160.39. Through my insurance its $67.76. Expensive, but worth it to me.
Cowboy
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2006, 11:55 AM   #113
spitfire86

I am paying $50 for a 3 month supply of 8mg suboxone and $60 each month for the doctor visit in south east pa
spitfire86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2006, 05:52 AM   #114
suntanner

I am still visiting the Dr. weekly, which is $40.00-$20.00 co-pay. Walgreens charges $40.00 for 7-8mg Suboxone pills. The Dr. requires a once a month group discussion-which is paid out of pocket for $40.00. I need to ask my Dr. on the next visit-what's next as far as my appts. go.
I would like to start seeing him once a month if possible. Elise
suntanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2006, 02:41 PM   #115
Silvio

The Price at WalMart is $598.00 for 90 8mg pills in the Midwest.
Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2006, 11:27 AM   #116
Suri

My first intial appt. with Dr. was $200, then $90 each time after.
The price I pay for suboxone in Mich, is $300 for 24, 8mg pills.
My insurance does not pay for it, I have medicare and medicaid ins.
It is very expensive.
Thanks,
Suri

I'm sorry, I posted the wrong price, I pay $160 for 24, 8mg. suboxone at walmart in Mich.

Suri
Suri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 02:27 PM   #117
twins2772

Hi all New to board, my insurance covers mine, but my copay is still 35 dollars. Which is better than most from what I hear.[8)]
twins2772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2006, 01:11 PM   #118
chicagofire

Everything I have seen in my chart has been referenced to "pain management" I have seen no 303.40[?] (drug addiction) anywhere so far.
chicagofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2006, 06:31 PM   #119
zzzzz

I had an induction with two different doctors (first doctor who got me started made me uncomfortable so I tried another). Co-pay $15 for each visit. Co-pay for a weeks worth of Sub is $20. So for now I am paying $140 a month for treatment. Doctor says we can go to every other week is all goes well for a while.
zzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2006, 06:11 PM   #120
Suri

I just filled my 2nd script at another pharmacy. 50 2mg. pills for $130.
Does that sounds right? Is their a way to get suboxone cheaper if I don't have insurance>

Thanks,
Suri
Suri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2006, 04:47 PM   #121
Subhelp

Hello.. I paid $ 2.70 for the 2 mg here in RI. I've got a "10 cent" health plan. But to me, this wonder drug has give me a new outlook on life.
Subhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2006, 10:00 PM   #122
Bob34

6 dollars a peice here in Mississippi, 200 for the first visit and 100 there after , alot cheaper than chasing pain killers on the street
Bob34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2006, 11:41 PM   #123
cookie

I live in Alabama, near Tennessee and Mississippi state lines. I have called several doctors in all 3 states. Both my sister (who lives in TN near MS state line) are on suboxone. Average prices around here are $200 to $300 for induction fees and $75 for monthly visits thereafter. I just got my first subsription for a full month of 90 (8 mg) tabs for $82.00 using my BCBS insurance. I think for that amount of sub, most pharmacies around here charge approximately $550. I have read here where several people are getting 3 month supply from their doc. My doctor told me that he could only write for a month. Does anyone know if there is regulation pertaining to this and does it vary from state to state? This doctor never charged me an induction fee. I feel very fortunate to have BCBS.
cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2006, 02:48 AM   #124
josie

Actually, I believe that the doctor can give you a script that can have either five or six refills. I personally don't know any doctors that are doing anything but writing for a month at a time at the most. It is much easier to monitor tapering if one gets a script for only month, and thus have to go to the doctor at least once a month.
josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2006, 08:06 AM   #125
leesie

I have PacifiCare PPO, and I pay the highest copay on their "scale" for the sub, whether the rx is for 10 or 600, my copay is $35.00. My inductions was $850, and each subsequent visit is $150.
leesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2006, 02:14 AM   #126
lacey64

In Pottsville, Pennsylvania @ the Rite Aid my suboxone prescription costs $160.99 for 28 tabs of 8mg suboxone. That covers me for one week. Fortunately i have insurance and my co-pay is $18.00
lacey64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2006, 04:42 AM   #127
Jennifer2006

I am from Kentucky where Ive heard the cost is higher because of the enormous amounts of people who need this life saving medicine, does anyone know about KY prices?
Jennifer2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2006, 07:23 AM   #128
rockstar7

I just started sub treatment 2 days ago and today I was so tired (and this is a really attractive visual) I had a tablet under my tongue and I nodded off and drooled it down the front of me! YUCK! ;o) Anyway, induction and all visits, calls etc. for 1st 30 days cost $1000. That's unlimited # of times. My 1st script for 20 8mg tabs was $122 at a Walgreens in So. San Fran. The Dr. doesn't accept any insurance for this program unless you go through a inpatient treatment program at his affiliated hospital first. It was worth it to me because I was able to get an appointment ASAP. Cheers, S.
rockstar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2006, 10:53 PM   #129
imported_n/a

On 7/25, I paid $118 at Walgreen's for a qty of 20-8mg pills. That would be approx. $6 per pill rounded up.
imported_n/a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2006, 04:21 AM   #130
cookie

Jennifer2006,
One way to find out the prices in any area is to call the doctors on the prescbribing list,in your area,and ask the receptionist or nurse the costs of the induction fee and follow up visits. To find out the price of the prescription, call your local Wal-Mart pharmacy and a few other pharmacies in your area and they will be able to tell you the costs. If you have insurance it may cover some of the visits and prescription costs. You will find a list of prescribing doctors in your area by using the patient/doctor connection on the home page of this website.
cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2006, 01:33 AM   #131
Maureen

Doctor in OH charged $390 cash for induction/first visit which included all meds to make my daughter comfortable. After that it's $150cash a visit and that includes the meds for a few days. We're only 4 days in and go back on Weds (another $150, cash) and will probably receive enough meds to get her through the rest of the week and the weekend. I'm stunned at the difference in her. I'm holding my breath.

I'm told insurance will pay for meds once she's detoxed but not the doctor visit. I have not spoken with the insurance company. I've been told by some people that some insurance companies will cover the induction - but I have to submit the paperwork on my own. Once I get a handle on what's happening and collect myself (and the receipts) I will do that and let you all know what happens. I believe they will cover the costs of on-going talk therapy though. At first I was surprised that all of them required "cash only" but hearing what it is they go through with fraud, etc from some in this space I understand it now. I found it not too difficult to find a doctor here in OH but it seemed that half of them in our area only treated veterans through the VA system.

Dr. Abe Soliman (Board Certified in Addiction Medicine and Psychiatry) is having an open house educational event on August 22 at 6 - 7:30 pm at his offices at 8833 Chapel Square Lane in Cincinnati, OH 45249 513 774 9444 (just off I-71 about 20 miles above the city,) and he's going to talk about NEW OUTPATIENT treatment options including SUBOXONE for opiate detox and Vovitrol for once a month injection for alocohol craving. He asked us to invite anyone who might be interested in the program. Soft drinks and cookies provided... We'll be there!

Maureen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2006, 10:37 PM   #132
gettinbetternow

I paid 200.00 for 45 8 mg. tabs at a small pharmacy near Nashville. They have by far been the least expensive. And...they don't charge more if I only get a few pills at a time. I checked & Walgreens was 59.00 more for the same # 45.
gettinbetternow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2006, 09:01 AM   #133
Trunlu

So far--I just started today--I've paid $700 for the induction, which includes four 1:1 counseling sessions, UA and blood panels, and Subutex for the first month. After that, it's $150 a month for two 1:1 counseling sessions, the UA and blood work as needed. After the first month, I'm given a written prescription and will pay out of pocket. I know my doctor lets us decide if we want Subutex (which he prefers) or Suboxone. Suboxone, overall, is cheaper by roughly $1.20/pill.

There are also two local pharmacies which offer the meds at their cost, plus 6%, which is apparently quite a discount. (This pharmacy--both owned by the same man-is known for offering pretty decent discounts on most RXs, especially for those without insurance.)

When I know what my regular dose will be--I'm going to go with the Subutex--I'll update this post with that cost. (I've already spoken with the pharmacist to get a rough estimate on 60-8 miligram Subutex tabs and the quote was around $319.) I also won't know if the AAA discount will work until I have RX in hand. (I checked with Rite Aid, Walgreen's and Long's and they were all significantly higher, upwards of $400 for the same quantity.)

I also have the paperwork to apply for the free meds from the manufacturer, but it looks like it's only good for Suboxone. I'm going to call the hotline to see if it works for Subutex.

Like I said, I'll update when I get the figures.
Trunlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2006, 09:23 PM   #134
rufusxs

For my first script (which was written for 60 x 8mg pills) I paid $400 + NJ sales tax! That was during August, 2006, and was at an independent pharmacy that the doctor recommended.

However, I'm going to shop around for my refill and probably start out with Walmart next. If Walmart can beat the $6.67/pill price substantially (like $5/pill or less) then I'll just go there.

My first doctor's visit (which included both the first meeting where we did the planning and he wrote the Bup script as well as the induction visit)cost $150. Each subsequent visit will cost me $70, plus the price of a script fill. For a 3 month treatment plan, that's 5 visit plus 5 scripts. Add that ($70*5 + $400*5) to the $550 of the first visit(s)/script, and you get $2,900 for the full course of treatment, or <$1000/month.

Considering that each one of my Oxy 80mg scripts cost about $700 (that for generics!), plus $120 for the Roxy 30mg, PER MONTH, the monthly cost is almost even and then as soon as my treatment is over the savings begin at a terrific rate. Whether I or my insurance company garners the savings doesn't matter to me, the principle is what matters.

$2,900 for a course of treatment that has given me back my life is one of the greatest bargains of all time, IMHO.

rufusxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2006, 05:09 PM   #135
skippy

Hi...I'm a newbie here but I think this site is by far the most helpful and informative sub website around. Thank you everyone.

I hope this is a good thread to ask this question. I live in Michigan and travel to Kalamazoo to pay $190.00 a week for my Suboxone. Needless to say, this is really draining the bank account. I would have no problem driving to Detroit or anywhere in Lower Michigan if there was a cheaper place to get treatment. Does anyone know of a doctor that wouldn't cost me so much??

I really, really appreciate any help, I am getting desperate because Sub is a miracle drug in my opinion and I don't want to be without it, but I can't afford it much longer.

Thank you so much for any suggestions you might have and taking the time to help me.
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2006, 11:33 PM   #136
Mary

Hey skippy, check out this topic for michigan doctors:

http://www.naabt.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1567

Good luck! -Mary
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2006, 03:55 PM   #137
Brooke123

Wow, it seems everyone is getting alot of pills with there scripts, I was getting 14 every week....Never did I get one for more than that...I paid $40
for that.
brooke

Addendum: WITH Insurance...
B
Brooke123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2006, 02:56 AM   #138
loriann

HELP!My BF lives in NY and doesn't have insurance. Does anyone know is Family Health Plus/Healthy NY will pay for suboxone? I have called Independent health, BC, and Univera (who participate) and NO ONE was able to tell me. Right now he is paying about $500 a month (16-24mg a day) Any info would be REALLY appreciated.
loriann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2006, 07:45 PM   #139
magicticket

I pay 145 for 30 8mg tab's if anyone has eckerd drug they are the best and cheapest price for it call around, If your insurance won't cover it then get your doctor to give them a call thats what i did and they agreed to cover it for a year and after 3 treatment centers and other things my insurance covers very little for substance abuse but my doctor got them to cover mine so you should give it a shot!
magicticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2006, 01:19 AM   #140
AZDinker

With insurance (United Healthcare) I pay $50 for 30 8mg ($1.66 a piece) at Walgreens. Without insurance, they're $172.99 for 30 ($5.76 a piece). This is in Scottsdale, Arizona. Copay for my doctor is $25.00 and I see him every few months for refills.
AZDinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2006, 12:14 PM   #141
remedy

$157 for (30) 8mg Suboxone tablets in Tampa, FL at an independent (cheaper) pharmacy. It would be $180 for the equivalent at our local Walgreens. This of course is without insurance. With insurance I used to pay $50 bucks because it was considered "non-formulary" medicine and of course the insurance company considered it was not-needed for my life. If only they knew I would be dead without it.

------------------------------
Life sucks, then you take opiates. Then you stop opiates. Then life never sucks as good as it did before you took opiates.

remedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2006, 01:06 PM   #142
pabrte

When I first started paying for buprenorphine (im the one who has been on subs now for about 7 yrs) I had to pay my dr $200 for the first visit, then $100 per mo after that. But if I cant pay he's patient. he'll let me pay it off. The pills run about $160 for 30, $306 for 60. However, at my appt wed we called a tele # I found in another site and there is a finacial asistance program. They are sending him the info and he's calling me when the paperwork is in. He was delighted! He told me that the reps from Reckit were just there and said nothing about this to him. he literally jumped right to the phone when I handed him the number. Here's the quote from other site:

"Dendrite, which is a division of Reckitt-Benkiser (the company that makes suboxone) now has a prescription assistance program. Each physician that has a bupe program is allowed 1 patient to get free medication from the company. Your physician will need to call Dendrite at 1-866-512-2216 to get the paperwork. The physician needs to fill out the paperwork and both the patient and physician have to sign the forms.

Once this is done and sent back to the company, the patient will get their suboxone free.

This is a new program and many doctors are not aware about it yet. If you are on suboxone and need assistance with your medication just contact your doctor and give him the number. He can let you know if he already has a patient on the assistance program."

Now, there are other numbers posted here and we didnt try them. I dont know if there are two programs or not, but apparently a dr can only have one patient take advantage of this. I will report my expereince to this site.
pabrte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2006, 03:39 AM   #143
Sag40

My induction will cost $475.00 then $50.00 per visit afterwards - I am assuming this will NOT cover the costs of medication.
Sag40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2006, 04:41 PM   #144
tina

I pay $250/month to the clinic and my insurance company reimburse me 50% of the submitted paid receipts. My insurance co-pay for meds is $25 no matter how many or what mg. I am so blessed ! After reading these prices, I feel so lucky. Crazy, my insurance, Aenta, pays for the subutex. My dr was suprised. HE said most of his patients are on the suboxone due to the price and the fact that insurance WONT cover subutex.

wow.
tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2006, 11:07 AM   #145
ready2quit

I pay $125 a visit, which is once a month and my copay for any amount of 8mg subs I am prescribed is $35. So a total of $160 a month is a breeze compared to what I was spending on dope.
ready2quit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2006, 09:54 AM   #146
MattV

I payed $225 up front for my initial visit and induction. Each visit after that, currently one/week are $100. My perscription is a $15 co-pay being there is currently no generic. My doctor does not take any insurance for Sub treatment. All the lab work, blood & urine, is covered. She wrote the lab orders for the test as part of a general physical, not as opiate addiction treatment.

Matt
A Life Transformed
MattV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2006, 12:31 PM   #147
kellyf1958

Sounds very expensive. I paid 300.00 my first visit. He is taking my medical because of my situation but dosnt normal take it. Mine also covers my suboxone. I am luckier then most. I am truley sorry for all that have to pay so much. Recovery is hard enough to have to worry about paying to get better.
kellyf1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2006, 08:02 PM   #148
SuboxCouple

EVERYONE without insurance please go to www.freedrugcard.us My husband and I save about $100 a week on our suboxone at walgreens! It costs nothing to get this and you will save on any and all presciption meds! All you do is answer a couple quick questions and in less than 5 minutes you will get a form to print out and take to any pharmacy. I know at walgreens you never have to submit a thing again! They automatically use it again and again on any presciption I bring them! You will definetly save money on your detox meds!!!!
SuboxCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2006, 06:07 PM   #149
snipes

I would like to also let everyone know about www.freedrugcard.us <-- If you go to this site and give your name it will generate a drug card that can be printed out for people who dont have insurance! It can be used on any medication including suboxone/subutex! You have to use one of the pharmacys that participates in this program.. some are Rite-Aid, Walgreens, Wal-mart, Target, A&P and more! TODAY I picked up my script of 60 8mg suboxones from Rite-Aid and I used the card... I saved $67.. witch isnt bad. I paid $280 instead of $347. I paid less then $5 a 8mg sub. SO anyone who doesnt have insurance may want to check out this web site and print a card up!

Tim
snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2006, 05:20 AM   #150
woodchip

I just began Suboxone treatment and I paid $300 for the first visit to my doctor which included an asessment and 8 mg of Suboxone. He then wrote me a script of Suboxone that would last me 2 weeks. I am currently paying my doctor $150 per visit (every two weeks). So that works out to $300 every 4 weeks just for the visits alone (not including the price of getting my prescription filled). He does not accept medical insurance, but I don't have any insurance anyway. I would like some feedback to compare what I am paying with what other people are being charged by their doctors. Thanks.
woodchip is offline   Reply With Quote