Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 08-31-2016, 05:50 AM   #1
NancyB
Administrator

Default DEA to make Kratom a Schedule I Drug

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidkro.../#2cbdf7667924

The DEA Is Placing Kratom And Mitragynine On Schedule I

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency has filed a notice of intent (PDF) to place the southeast Asian plant called kratom to the most restrictive classification of the Controlled Substances Act. The plant, Mitragyna speciosa, and its two primary constituents, mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine, will be temporarily placed onto Schedule I on September 30, according to a filing by the DEA at 8:45 am Eastern time today. The full announcement is scheduled to be published in the Federal Register tomorrow, August 31.

Various forms of kratom and teas made from the plant’s leaves are sold in cafes and on the internet. Their primary effect is to provide a short-lived peaceful and calm feeling that is described as pleasant. Consistent with this effect being opioid-like, anecdotal reports indicate that some users have used kratom to successfully recover from physical and psychological dependence on prescription opioids and heroin. Comments on my last report on kratom have also indicated the successful use of teas made from the plant in managing chronic pain without the side effects and addictive potential of prescription opioids like oxycodone, hydrocodone and morphine.

The kratom plant, Mitragyna speciosa, produces medicinally important alkaloids that are increasingly known to be of potential medical benefit, but with questionable abuse potential. Photo credit: Shutterstock

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency has filed a notice of intent (PDF) to place the southeast Asian plant called kratom to the most restrictive classification of the Controlled Substances Act. The plant, Mitragyna speciosa, and its two primary constituents, mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine, will be temporarily placed onto Schedule I on September 30, according to a filing by the DEA at 8:45 am Eastern time today. The full announcement is scheduled to be published in the Federal Register tomorrow, August 31.

Various forms of kratom and teas made from the plant’s leaves are sold in cafes and on the internet. Their primary effect is to provide a short-lived peaceful and calm feeling that is described as pleasant. Consistent with this effect being opioid-like, anecdotal reports indicate that some users have used kratom to successfully recover from physical and psychological dependence on prescription opioids and heroin. Comments on my last report on kratom have also indicated the successful use of teas made from the plant in managing chronic pain without the side effects and addictive potential of prescription opioids like oxycodone, hydrocodone and morphine.

In the last two months, published research has pointed to why kratom might be a useful and safer alternative to prescription opioids. The main component of the herb, the alkaloid mitragynine, and its metabolite and oxidation product, 7-hydroxymitragynine, produce an effect on the mu subtype of opioid receptors away from many of the mechanisms that cause many opioid side effects. These alkaloids are now shown to be so-called G-protein biased ligands at the mu opioid receptor. This effect minimizes the engagement of an intracellular protein called beta-arrestin that among other effects, causes a reduction in opioid receptors on the surface of cells, leading to the tolerance and dose escalation commonly seen with prescription opioids.

The CDC has reported in July that kratom can be abused and that poison control centers have received over 660 calls between 2010 and 2015 regarding kratom intoxication. This report has been criticized as being relatively inconsequential given the small number of cases when compared with other legal and illegal intoxicants. In some cases listed as kratom intoxication, other illicit drugs were taken by the individuals.

The North Carolina state legislature recently decided not to restrict and criminalize use and sale of kratom–limiting it only to buyers over age 18–because of personal testimonials to the benefits of kratom teas. With the federal intent to place the herb and its bioactive constituents on Schedule I, the DEA is ignoring the increasing scientific literature on a potential beneficial medical use of the plant. Schedule I classification, used for drugs with no known medical use and high abuse potential, will certainly make subsequent research on the plant more difficult...
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (08-31-2016)
Unread 09-01-2016, 06:33 PM   #2
Sam Bailey

Hey Nancy/Folks,

For what it's worth, my 2-bits---in extreme brief:

While it's certainly true that Kratom lures some people into just another kind of gut wrenching addiction...while it surely does cause some people lots of misery. and heartache..classifying this plant into such a restrictive area is, I think, a bad idea...and certainly bad science.

In fact, in doing this, science is virtually taken out of the equation.

Maybe, who yet knows?, Kratom has some kind of healing properties that have yet to be found. Or maybe not. This new classification prevents that question from ever being answered. Really, who knows what MIGHT be missed?

Cripes, it's maddening!

Truth is, I've never used Kratom, never even seen it, far as I know---nor do I have any intent to ever sample it. Nonetheless, that ain't the point.

The point is? Stop! please, America, from your return to such Puritan Times.

No good can come from it. Better spend that time and energy on, for example, "Spice," a legal street drug, made to mimic marijuana, which is, here in Los Angeles, literally killing people, many of whom reside on skid row.

Again I recommend the fascinating book, "Chasing the Scream." It's a look at the history of addiction and addictive drugs---and the legal system that totally messed the whole dealio up. A great read!

Ok, enough said.

sam
Sam Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Sam Bailey For This Useful Post:
Thank You (07-25-2017)
Unread 11-21-2016, 05:49 PM   #3
j3783

Default Kratom (my opinion on the plant)

I have been on suboxone for about four years now. After about three years, I had switched over to taking Kratom. I just couldn't stand being on Suboxone anymore. To my surprise, Kratom worked magnificently! It stopped the WD's completely. And I noticed the WD's from the Kratom were very mild in comparison to opiods.
I had taken Kratom for about six or seven months, then I heard that the DEA was going to ban the plant. So I switched back to Suboxone..... That was a BIG mistake! I feel so terrible on the Subs. I hate the way they make me feel. And not only that, but I feel like I have taken steps backwa in my recovery. Kratom is a far better alternative to opiods and suboxone and methadone alike. I can't help but feel like the big pharmaceutical companies had something to do with this ban. Especially since they have a synthetic version of this plant currently in the human testing phase. Yeah. That doesn't make sense tome either. Ban something because its bad!... But buy this synthetic version of the exact same thing because its good! Yeah, ok. I call shenanigans!
Anyways, Kratom has far FAR fewer side effects to opiods and other synthetic opiods. There are no breathing problems associated with Kratom. Less drowzyniss. Easier to taper off of than opiods. Less addicting. No real "high" or "buzz" from taking Kratom. But it is relaxing in a sense and gives a good sense of well being. Not to mention the fact that the withdrawal symptoms are very VERY mild compared to opiods. Although, it all depends on how much you take. However, its hard to take a lot of Kratom. You would almost have to force yourself to take enough Kratom to have withdrawals symptoms even half as bad as opiods. Also, its pretty much impossible to overdose on Kratom.... In fact, I honestly don't think you even can. You would have to take soooooo much for that to happen that I don't think you would even have enough room in your stomache for an overdose to happen. To ban something this helpful to people sounds a little suspicious to me.
Anyways, Kratom isnt without its faults. It does cause some brain fog and dizziness at times (usually when you take too much) and it does have some mild withdrawals. Mostly just some aches and pains and EXTREME fatigue and anxiety! (The fatigue and anxiety are no joke!) But you can get over the counter stuff to help with these symptoms. caffeine pills, St. Johns Wart, magnesium, stuff like that. But no diarrhea, stomache aches, cold chills, and very mild leg cramps. The WD's are a bit uncomfortable. But lets put it this way, I couldn't go to work if I was going through opiod WD's. But I can go to work from Kratom WD's no problem. Its not fun, but tolerable. And this is coming from someone who was taki a LOT of Kratom. I was taking about 14 grams of Kratom about 4 times a day. Your most common Kratom user only takes about 8 grams TWICE a day. But I was working 12 hour shifts five days a week. So I felt like I needed to take that much. Kratom is a pretty powerful pain killer as well! I would say its just as strong as vicodin or even Suboxone.... Maybe even stronger depending on where you get it from and what strain it is. Another problem with Kratom is that its not easy to conceal. You have to take it every four to six hours, and you have to either take several handfuls of capsules, or mix it up into a drink (Kratom is terribly bitter). Also, Kratom is pretty cheap (compared to Suboxone or other opiods). Its around $7 to $15 an ounce (depending on where you get it and what kind). An ounce should last a regular kratom consumer about three days or more depending on how much you take.not too bad considering Subs cost about $8 a strip. And if you take more than one strip a day, well.... you do the math.
Anyways, I switched back to Subs because I was afraid I about the Kratom ban. And was afraid that I couldn't go through four or five days of Kratom WD's while working those long hours. Also, I tattoo, so I need to have steady hands. And as I said before, Kratom WD'S cause TERRIBLE anxiety! So thats not something I can have while I am tattooing! (No beuno for business). But now that I am back on Subs, I am kicking myself. I feel like such an idiot. I am back to taking 2 and a half 8mg strips a day. But I am about to move, and take several weeks off of work. In which case I will be switching back to Kratom for about a week or two, then taper down off of the Kratom until I no longer need it. I felt like tapering was going to be difficult on Kratom, but in hindsight, after being back on Suboxone, I know tapering off of Kratom will be a breeze! Especially since I have several weeks off of work.
Anyways, I just wanted to give my two cents. Maybe it will help someone out there. If anyone decides to try to get on Kratom before its banned, and wants to taper off of it. I say do it within two weeks. Give yourself about four or five days to adjust to the Kratom. (It takes a min to figure out the proper dose you will need to prevent WD's from subs or whatever you take). So a five day grace period is basically required. Then take the next nine days to taper off of the Kratom. I would do about a gram a day. And also, try and taper down as much as you can from the Subs or Methadone or whatever you are on before you make tge switch to Kratom. Every little bit will help. Hopefully this plant doesn't get banned. It has a LOT of potential to help people, especially addicts like us! Although, it can be just trading one addiction for another. But as long as you don't take it for more than three weeks or so. And taper down from it as quickly as possible, then it can be a life saver! I can see the government putting regulations on Kratom, but it shouldn't be outright banned. Such a shame the ways big pharma uses and manipulates us. But thats a different story for a different time.

Anyways, sorry for the long post. And good luck to each and every one of you/us! 😀
j3783 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to j3783 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-22-2016), Thank You (07-25-2017)