Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 10-14-2014, 02:26 AM   #151
CRICKET5

A couple of dr.s said withdrawal..i just cant get over how was that withdrawal,when she has gone without drinking for a couple to three weeks and never do that. I think at the university hospital they thought stroke at first because they kept asking her certain questions. But I tell you,when she was all twisted and her mouth was wide open and her tongue rolled she was trying to say help. I am still confused to know if that was withdrawal. THANK EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU FOR LISTENING! My prayers,(and nothing could be sweeter for any of us),is with all of you and my family
CRICKET5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2014, 01:15 PM   #152
lostdog

much support to you Crickets and your family, keep in touch.
lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to lostdog For This Useful Post:
Thank You (10-22-2014)
Unread 10-14-2014, 07:24 PM   #153
R. Lee

CRICKETS, I never went through withdrawals when I quit drinking. From what you explained what she was doing it sure sounded like withdrawals.

I hope she is doing OK.
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (10-22-2014), Thank You (10-15-2014)
Unread 10-16-2014, 08:03 AM   #154
jenm

Hi Crickets -

Oh my Word! What an awful experience! I am so sorry that you had to go through that. One time I had a family member absolutely sure that he saw things in his backyard. I mean, with very detailed descriptions about what he saw. Seriously, the police were called and everything, and there was simply nothing there. That was the first time I had seen "up close" what withdrawals from alcohol might do to someone. By the Grace of God I have not had that experience, and one day at a time I hope not to. And I am not a doctor, not even close! I have been around for awhile, and have heard the stories of how people, who never experienced severe physical withdrawals prior, started to and also started having seizures and things. I am continuing to pray for you and for your family! I pray that God will soften her heart so that she simply cries out for the help she needs. Take care! Jenm
jenm is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to jenm For This Useful Post:
Thank You (10-16-2014)
Unread 10-22-2014, 02:34 AM   #155
CRICKET5

Hello everyone..as of right now she is with me waiting to start the extensive outpatient treatment.She is with me 24 hours a day,seven days a week.I talk to her about what happened,and if she is afraid of doing that again,whether she drinks a little or binges,that she may have what looks so much like grand mal seizures,is that something she is willing to risk having..and maybe or not will someone be around to help her and know what to do.In all truth I want her to be afraid of that. I think she thought it would never happen to her, that she could control things. I like to think it was her wake up call. I never knew how bad withdrawal could be,or what exactly could happened. But now I have and when I think about that day,I get so sad and then I thank God,because we had a feeling,which was the Holy Spirit speaking to us,telling us to go to that hospital. I know alot of people dont believe in God,but that is their choice,I am not their judge,but I do believe.And that is what lead us there that day,because we had cut her off and out. Now I will be her support ,but not her enabler. I will not go back but forward.I pray this is her road to recovery. Thank you all for the prayers and support..I will be checking in more frequently,and keeping up with everyone.Cricket
Unread 10-22-2014, 06:48 AM   #156
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Cricket, hopefully that horrible experience was her bottom and she wants to do everything she can to get better. For an otherwise healthy person, withdrawals from alcohol and benzos are both life-threatening - opioid withdrawals, again for an otherwise healthy person, are not. This link illustrates the effect of alcohol on the body. Maybe that would be good for her to take a look at?
http://www.alcoholanswers.org/alcoho...our-health.cfm

I will keep you both in my thoughts that she takes her treatment seriously and this is the beginning of her new addiction-free life.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (10-25-2014), Thank You (10-23-2014)
Unread 10-22-2014, 03:24 PM   #157
R. Lee

crickets, I hope too this was her bottom. We alcoholics have to hit our own bottoms before we can reach out for help.

You and your daughter are in my prayers & thoughts.
2 Users Say Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (02-05-2015), Thank You (10-23-2014)
Unread 10-25-2014, 10:00 PM   #158
CRICKET5

Thank you lostdog ,R.Lee, jenm, NancyB..
One User Says Thank You to CRICKET5 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (10-26-2014)
Unread 10-31-2014, 06:07 AM   #159
NancyB
Administrator

Hi CRICKET5, just checking in to see how your daughter is doing and how you are doing. Please let us know when you have a chance.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2015, 08:44 PM   #160
CRICKET5

Well we made it thru the holidays,but she pulled a doozie after..ending up at the hospital,again. I just take it one day at a time with her because as life goes,I have other problems and aging parents. I pray one day I will have some peace in my life,and she will also. Its never going to change til she wants it to,and right now I am not willing to fight the battle. That is probably one of the reasons she ended up this way,is because I always fought them for her.That was probably what she thought as control and I thought being a good parent. Hope everyone is still doing well,I pray for you all.
Unread 02-06-2015, 09:36 AM   #161
lostdog

It is so good to hear from you Cricket. I'm sorry to hear about your daughter and hope your parents are doing well. You sound very grounded and doing your best and my prayers are with you as well as all my support.
lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2015, 10:36 AM   #162
Sam Bailey

Hello Crickets,

I am so sorry to hear that your daughter again relapsed. That is, as "they" say, the nature of the disease. It happens and sometimes it happens regularly. And it's just awful when it does. Worse than awful, that's my experience.

Yet the day will come, so I believe anyway, when that last relapse turns out to be the LAST relapse. It can happen. It does happen. One day it may happen for your daughter, and for you.

When that day comes your daughter will finally begin to live her life fully.

I MUST believe that that day it is possible. I do believe it.

I hope for you both that it happens soon.

best,

sam
Sam Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2015, 06:33 PM   #163
jenm

Praise the Lord for you, Sam B and Cricket - my prayers are with you.

Some of us live with alcoholics who are still in denial, and some family members remain in denial. No matter what the case is, it hugely affects every part of our lives.

My heart breaks for you. I know what it is like to deal with such overwhelming emotion. My brother had a lifesaving liver transplant as a result of his alcoholism, and he has chosen to return to active alcoholism since his transplant. Talk about a slap in the face of everyone. It is not in my control, and I have to pray and give it to Him. Oh, guess what? His liver "numbers" were off and now he needs to go to Iowa City and have a ultrasound and biopsy. Why is this a shock to anyone? I feel really alone sometimes too. Please take care. Jenm
jenm is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to jenm For This Useful Post:
Thank You (02-06-2015)
Unread 02-07-2015, 07:55 AM   #164
R. Lee

Cricket, Thanks for the update. Sorry your daughter has not found the strength to get sober. No as much as you want you can not do it for her.
Unread 09-08-2016, 12:41 AM   #165
CRICKET5

Everyone hello and I pray all is going well..even though I have not been on you have been in my thoughts,and I say that with truth. About a year and a half my husband had a heart attack, and it was around 10 pm. Out daughter was actually here. She went with me to the hospital, and he had to have a stint. She did well through it, and we tried to guilt her, that he didn't need any stress, at least please don't cause us any worry for a little while.
Unread 09-08-2016, 12:50 AM   #166
CRICKET5

That worked for a little while. My husband swears 99% of the attack was due to her, and I have to say I believe that. He really doesn't stress over anything but her. Well long story short, she met someone that lives out of state. I was very skeptical at first, and met the little guy. He was a really nice guy. His own dad had been an alcoholic and he was not willing to be a part of that again in his life. He is very smart, and plans for the future, a extremely hard worker. They had been talking over the phone for quite a while, and when he came to the door, I was shocked. Nice looking, very polite and down to earth. He has been a gift from God so to speak. He doesn't push her constantly, truly enjoys being with her, and yet she still drinks, not to the point of blacking out. Now. But in the early stage of the relationship she was drinking quite a bit. They were actually here this past week end and yes she did drink, and thought she was being sneaky, I just said if you can't stop you. An leave
Unread 09-08-2016, 12:53 AM   #167
CRICKET5

Can leave. She was all for leaving, but he said no it was to late, and he didn't feel like driving back, so he took her aside and calmed her down quickly. I have made him aware that she will drink hairspray and anything that has alcohol if she gets desperate enough. I told him I never knew all this and that he should be prepared and what to look for. He thought hairspray was 'just hairspray'. I had to tell him different. Just where he will know the signs. That drinking hairspray is a quicker drunk, I don't know why or how, but it is
Unread 09-08-2016, 01:02 AM   #168
CRICKET5

That is probably the controlling part of me in her opinion, but I think it is a heads up. She is still in denial, thinks she is sneaky with it, but I truly know while she has slacked up, she has not stopped. It is time for her probation to be up on her license, and we haven't even talked about that. She does not need to drive. It will only bring trouble and she is not sober. I did find a great place for her to go for a year, but she won't do it. I have such guilt that I have just pushed my problem to the little guy. That he has to deal with her. She is 32 and I know she has to make her own decisions, but giving her the car back will only create a problem. It will give her the freedom to get alcohol, and possible kill or hurt someone. I also hate to think she could hurt this little guy, and he had a hard life growing up, and doesn't deserve to go thru someone drinking again.
Unread 09-08-2016, 10:08 AM   #169
Sam Bailey

Hello Crickets,

I'm sorry to learn that your daughter is drinking again. Heavily at times, so it appears. Truth is, whether heavy or light, her drinking will, as you know, take her down. Ultimately that's our fate, all of us with alcoholism and/or drug addiction.

While it is, in many ways, really terrific that she has this guy in her life, and while I acknowledge that he sounds like a good person, he is just one other person that your daughter can lean on (use?) to insure her drinking life, her alcoholism, can continue.

He will see that soon, as we all know---whether or not he sees it yet.

Crickets? I don't mean to come off too harsh, though maybe I have. Apologies please if that's so.

But I just see so much more misery in store for your entire family. Most especially, her! Though, like her boyfriend, worse actually, she cannot see the darkness that is swallowing her whole.

I don't know what it will take, but whatever it takes! she needs to get long term help. Yet if she WON'T do it, your hands are tied. Obviously. None of us can save a person who refuses to be saved. Lord knows I have tried.

For so many years my son was lost in his own alcoholic darkness. And like you and your husband, it nearly ended us, my wife and me. I don't know that I have ever suffered through more heartache than the pain of seeing my beloved son destroying himself. Thus, I feel so sad for you...and your husband. I get it.

But there is hope. Really there is. As of today, my son is 2 years, 1 month, 7 days sober. Even now tho I still worry, though not with the kind of terror I once did.

I so hope that your daughter finds the sober life, too.

**Edit: No, she does not need to drive in her condition. My opinion, of course.

best to you Crickets,

sam
Sam Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2016, 02:13 PM   #170
CRICKET5

Thank you Sam...you did NOT come off harsh at all..those very words were said between my husband and myself about her using him, and how long can this last