Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 01-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #151
michaelc232

Hello everyone. I'm 48 hours sober today, and I am actually feeling very good, and have a positive outlook. I am going to Texas in about 4 days to visit my family, and I know my dad is going to want me to drink with him, I probably will, but the plan is that as soon as I come back home (a week from tomorrow) I will officially start my journey to sobriety. I remember a few of you saying to just stay positive, and something will eventually click. Well I had my "click" moment yesterday, and began to make some realizations and choices, and I know that I am finally ready to quit drinking. I have a life that I want to live, and I have dreams that I want to accomplish, and I know that I cannot do that with a bottle in my hand. Thanks again for all of the support, you all mean the world to me.

Michael
michaelc232 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to michaelc232 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-11-2013)
Unread 01-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #152
Saint

Michael,

I'm glad something 'clicked' in you and it is important to maintain a positive outlook in my opinion. I know whenever I felt good I would drink and when I didn't I would swear off alcohol. This was all in a twenty four hr period day after day.

Have you considered discussing your alcohol issues with your family when you visit, tell them what's going on with you? In the end the temptation to drink will always be there and as alcoholics we can ALWAYS rationalize a reason to drink. Is it really important for you to drink with your Father? These are all 'learned' behaviors and feel normal because that is what your family does. As Lee says "Think through that first drink, it's the first drink that will get us". So true in my opinion.

Have a great trip, a safe trip Michael, you're in my thoughts.

Regards,
Saint
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Saint For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-11-2013)
Unread 01-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #153
CarlyO

Dear Michael,
Congrats, I know you know what I will say, watch for Withdrawal symptoms, call 911 or go to ER.
This is great news- you know what to do, take it a moment at time, a day at time, you have the desire and you can say NO to drinking with your father. Hang in there, be safe, and good luck on your trip, Carly
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to CarlyO For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-11-2013)
Unread 01-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #154
Frankie

Michael, I already posted a bit about the "click" thing on Try's thread before I read yours. Glad to see you posting! Btw, you don't really have to drink at you dads, but do what you have to do and keep us up to date on how things are going. Real people in Texas.

Frank
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Frankie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-11-2013)
Unread 01-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #155
R. Lee

michael, Glad that you have a plan.

Is your family aware that you have a alcohol problem? A normal father that loves his son would understand & accept the fact that you can't drink. Maybe your father has a problem with alcohol & would not understand. Either case you don't have to drink alcohol with your dad.
Good luck on how you handle the situation.
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #156
Saint

Michael,
How are you? I hope you enjoyed your visit with your family.

Stay safe,
Saint
Unread 01-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #157
Saint

Michael,

I hope you are well. We have all been where you are. There is a future for you. Think about sobriety and work torwards it. If what you're doing isn't working it may be time to try something different. Stay positive Micael. We're here for you.

Stay safe,
Saint
Unread 02-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #158
michaelc232

Hey guys. Been awhile since I posted on here. My trip to Texas we great, and I enjoyed my time with my Dad. When I got back I just started drinking again, and ended up not pursuing sobriety like I had talked about in my last post. I knew it would happen. Something inside said "It's just too good to be true, you can't expect to have a "click" moment, have a desire to get sober and be ready to get straight, and then go out and have one last party before you do it." I should have taken that moment and ran with it, but I chose to drink. The other morning, after a night of hard drinking I woke up and turned on my computer to realize that I had written myself a letter while drinking. It shocked and scared me. It scared me so much I deleted it, but it read a little something like this.

"Michael, this is the drunk you. Do you remember how you felt last night? Probably not. You get drunk and think about all the things that you want to do with your life, and daydream about the possibilities of a successful life. Just stop. Let all of this bulls*** go, get sober, and live the life that you know you can. Don't come back here again, there is nothing good.

Sincerely,
The Drunk You"

I am literally crying out to myself to stop this madness, and I am officially freaked out. Not sure what I am going to do at this point, but just thought I would give an update.

Michael
michaelc232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #159
Saint

Michael,

So glad to hear from you and very happy you had a good visit with your Dad. I'll have to admit I chuckled a little when I read your letter from your drunk self to your hungover self. It would seem the 'drunk you' wants you to get sober. A little bit of irony there and I don't mean to make light of it because this is very serious business.

Michael there are times I want to shout and scream don't drink, or take the bottle away from those suffering but I know it won't work. If you want to get sober you have to make the change, do the work. And it's hard. You have to reinvent the part of you that drank every day. You have to make time for a new you and it is uncomfortable at first, very uncomfortable at times but so worth it. Today I got to live on life's terms sober. Deal with the good and the bad, sober. I'm nobody special Michael. I'm just like you. I want you to have the opportunity to 'feel the sun on your face'. It is there for you if you work towards it.

Thanks for checking in Michael and letting us know what's going on with you. Keep yourself safe.

Saint
One User Says Thank You to Saint For This Useful Post:
Thank You (02-02-2013)
Unread 02-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #160
R. Lee

Michael, Listen to you conscience. You can stop by thinking through that next urge to drink.
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #161
Frankie

Good to see you posting Michael. Try not to beat yourself up too much and just keep posting if you can. Thinking through the first drink is great advice as that is the only thing that keeps me sober. Hard to do, but it really works.

Frank
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #162
Saint

Michael,
I hope your having a good weekend. Use your supports when you need to.

Stay safe,
Saint
Unread 03-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #163
Saint

Michael,

Here's another quote for you. It's running related but as with a lot of quotes they are applicable over a range of topics.

"If you continue doing what you've always done you will get out of it what you've always got."

So true in my opinion in regards to working towards sobriety. If what you're doing today isn't working try a different angle, something new. Sometimes it's as easy as going back to something tried in the past but with a different attitude. Alcoholism is an isolating disease. We need to reach out, open up, and want it. Want it more than anything else. We need to put the work in because it is hard work at times. Keep at it Michael, you're worth it.

Saint