Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 12-06-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
mikeyy0

Smile hi im mike

i havent used crack in about 7 monthes now.i also was addicted to pain killers & now im on suboxone.
Unread 12-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Mike, welcome! Congratulations on 7 months! That's fabulous.

How long have you been taking Suboxone? Is that working for you?

There's another forum here that's about opiate addiction and mainly Suboxone, if you haven't seen it. http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...splay.php?f=45

Feel free to join in there too!

Again, welcome.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
CarlyO

Hi Mike , Welcome and congrats !!

In addition to the link for the opiate forum, I do hope you will share story here, 7 months without crack is great : ) what has worked for you ? If you do feel open to sharing- it helps others who are struggling to have HOPE and maybe your experience will inspire another! I know I had to believe if others could find a way out the hell of addiction then maybe there was hope for me too !

Anyway, glad you are here, please keep us posted and may you continue to progress on your journey , take care, Carly
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
mikeyy0

Default hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyy0 View Post
i havent used crack in about 7 monthes now.i also was addicted to pain killers & now im on suboxone.
thank , i dont know much about this place what r all the benifits?
Unread 12-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
CarlyO

Hi Mike,

Most people use the forum for peer support, education, there is also live chat - check the opiate forum for days and times, as well as steps without stigma forum.
When I first started years ago, after a relapse, the members were and are soo supportive ! I do not know what you are doing in terms of support / but being able to come here in addition to counseling and group was such a help and still is !

I hope you will give either or both forums a try, good luck and look forward to
"hearing " from you ! Take care, Carly
Unread 12-09-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
mccoy

Hi Mike (everyone else too)-congrats on 7 months! I envy you. Pain killers were my DOC and I am also on Suboxone. I am fighting the urge to not fill my script for Adderral. I know you chose crack, but from what I understand they are similar. I have a script and my doctor said it is ok to use them while on the sub, but in all honesty I do not trust myself with them right now. I pop them like candy to get through my day. I have not told my doc this because I was at the time trying to tackle the Opiate issue. Anyways, does the Sub help for the crack urge? I am doing well with the pain cravings-using this forum and therapy is helping. I just need some hope here-I am fighting bad to not let myself fill the adderral. Any advice?
mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2010, 10:32 AM   #7
MaJaBe

My advice, don't fill it. It is addicting. If you can live life without it (you seem to be doing really well right now) then throw away the RX.
JMO,
J
MaJaBe is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to MaJaBe For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-09-2010)
Unread 12-09-2010, 11:44 AM   #8
CarlyO

Default WElcome McCoy

Dear Mccoy,

I know many ppl do have adult adhd, but you used the term pop them like candy. I was always told to look at my motives for any meds /substances. IMO - why take the risk ?
Is your Sub doctor rxing you the adderal? If NOT then that may be an issue? My sub doctor does random screens so if by chance your Sub doctor is not rxing them again why take the risk of losing your sub doctor ? OR talk to your sub doctor, if you need the ADHD meds then that is something to explore, but in the meantime please be careful- as MaJaBe said it
is addictive !
Suboxone is imo an amazing medication, has helped so many people regain their lives. I could go on....

My concern, and just imo- if you can somehow get by without the adderal, you may just be saving yourself from another substance misuse issue. Again, why put yourself in that situation unless you absolutely have to have it for adult onset adhd ? Just some thoughts I had .

Good luck, again welcome, and keep us posted. Take care, Carly
Unread 12-09-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
mccoy

I think you are right about not filling it. I would say it helps, it most definitly does. But the problem I see is that I cant stick with the prescribed amount. I found myself wanting to take them when I got worried about something-almost to numb me from the worrying. The anxiety I have is definitly the issue. I am proud of myself for seeing that.
No, my SUb doc is not the one prescribing them. My family doc is-however, my sub doc knows about them and is ok with it but he is not aware of the threat I am feeling for the addiction. I think one of the reasons it is so hard to stay clean is that we have to face reality and truly feel the pain of everyday life, on top of other painful stressors. I know it sounds that I am doing good but it is so hard all of this.
Unread 12-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #10
MaJaBe

Sounds like you already know what you need to do. Rip it up.
You know you have addictive tendencies toward this medication, and you know you can't take it as prescribed, so the simple solution to that is to eliminate the temptation and RIP IT UP. Happy Shredding.
Unread 12-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
mccoy

MaJabe....great advice as usual. I am goin got work myself up tp do it. My plan is to do it tonight when I get home. I was on the forum before and I brought up the horrible anxiety I have been having. Adderal definitly cant help the anxiety too so that is just another reason to quit. I just need to get my anxiety in control-that is why I feel the need to self medicate. I dont mean to use anxiety as an excuse, but I look back at why I took so much Vicodin-it was because I needed to feel calmer. I know my doc doesnt prescribe benzos with sub so I am sure he wont let me take Xanax or anything but those helped more than anything in my opinion. I worry excessivly about bills and it is beyond my control.
Unread 12-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #12
MaJaBe

I'm on sub, and I've taken Xanax for years, before during, and now, after my active addiction. BUT, I do not have addictive tendencies toward this medication. I don't ever run out, buy, sell, trade, etc. When I was abusing opiates, I rarely took it, because the opiates masked most of my anxiety.
My sub doctor rx's my xanax and my AD med, and I love that I'm lucky enough to have all my meds go through him, it makes me much more comfortable.
So this may be something to bring up with your sub doctor. Some people (doctors included) have the idea that benzo's and sub cannot be taken together, but this is untrue. As long as the medication is not abused, and high doses are not taken.
So it would really be up to your doctor whether your anxiety is severe enough to be treated with a benzo or not.
Best,
J
Unread 12-09-2010, 11:07 PM   #13
mikeyy0

Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoy View Post
Hi Mike (everyone else too)-congrats on 7 months! I envy you. Pain killers were my DOC and I am also on Suboxone. I am fighting the urge to not fill my script for Adderral. I know you chose crack, but from what I understand they are similar. I have a script and my doctor said it is ok to use them while on the sub, but in all honesty I do not trust myself with them right now. I pop them like candy to get through my day. I have not told my doc this because I was at the time trying to tackle the Opiate issue. Anyways, does the Sub help for the crack urge? I am doing well with the pain cravings-using this forum and therapy is helping. I just need some hope here-I am fighting bad to not let myself fill the adderral. Any advice?
it acualy does help me it makes me feel normal so i dont have to use , my sister also on sub she hasnt drank in 1 month since shes been on it.she is a cronic alcoholic
Unread 12-09-2010, 11:10 PM   #14
mikeyy0

me & my sis are on sub and it makes us feel normal so we dont want to use.she hasnt had a drink in 1 month since she started sub shes a cronic alcoholic
Unread 12-12-2010, 11:55 PM   #15
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Hi Mike,

Welcome! Big CONGRATS on your 7 months clean! I can relate...I was addicted to stimulants for 21 years. I've got 8 years clean now and can tell you that it was hard work to get here, but SO WORTH IT!

I don't know much about pain pills and sub...but IMO addiction is addiction.

Glad you're here and hope you post more so we all can get to know you!

Have an awesome dopeless day,

-DHF
Dopeless Hope Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2010, 12:02 AM   #16
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Hi Mccoy,

Welcome! I'm glad you're here and look forward to reading more about you.

I ditto MaJaBe...RIP IT UP! I hope you do it and realize that ripping up that script is one HUGE step in the right direction! Rip it up and then do something nice to reward yourself...something that equates to a big pat on the back!

Anxiety and worry over money matters...got that! I think that to some degree, we all have those stresses. Especially this time of the year. Breathe in, breathe out...if you still have the necessities for daily living...you're good, right?

I hope you have an awesome dopeless day,

-DHF
Dopeless Hope Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2010, 11:11 AM   #17
mikeyy0

Default hey

i dont take aderal what makes you think i do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlyO View Post
Dear Mccoy,

I know many ppl do have adult adhd, but you used the term pop them like candy. I was always told to look at my motives for any meds /substances. IMO - why take the risk ?
Is your Sub doctor rxing you the adderal? If NOT then that may be an issue? My sub doctor does random screens so if by chance your Sub doctor is not rxing them again why take the risk of losing your sub doctor ? OR talk to your sub doctor, if you need the ADHD meds then that is something to explore, but in the meantime please be careful- as MaJaBe said it
is addictive !
Suboxone is imo an amazing medication, has helped so many people regain their lives. I could go on....

My concern, and just imo- if you can somehow get by without the adderal, you may just be saving yourself from another substance misuse issue. Again, why put yourself in that situation unless you absolutely have to have it for adult onset adhd ? Just some thoughts I had .

Good luck, again welcome, and keep us posted. Take care, Carly