Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 06-28-2010, 10:22 PM   #1
Saint

Default Emotions

Hi,

I read this recently and it resonated true for me. I was struck by the obvious simplicity of the idea but never saw emotions for what they are or can be.

I hope you enjoy the following as much as I.

Saint

Winner's Circle Network with Lou Tice - 6/24/10 - "Control Over Your Emotions"

When you hit your thumb with a hammer, you know what causes the pain. Do you know what causes the emotion?

All of us have nervous systems that cause us to feel pain. All of us have emotions, too. We feel happy, sad, angry, elated, hopeless, inspired. But where do the emotions come from? What causes them?

When you hit your thumb with a hammer, you feel pain. You may also feel some anger and maybe even some shame. We can safely say that the hammer caused the pain. But we can't say that the hammer caused the anger or the shame. If that were true, then it wouldn't matter who hit them on the thumb, every single one would feel exactly the same emotions.

So how come you get mad when the same situation doesn't bother someone else at all? They laugh it off without a hint of anger. You see, the truth is that you cause you own emotions, and you do it with your thoughts. Many centuries ago, Epictetus said, "We are disturbed not by the things that happen, but by our opinion of the things that happen." I want you to know that you don't have to let your inner feelings be dictated by the external environment.

You can, bit by bit, learn to handle any and every situation you want to. You can learn to change your opinion of the things that happen so that you control your emotions, rather than letting them control you. Can you see yourself taking charge like this?

Lou Tice

The Pacific Institute

www.thepacificinstitute.com

The effects of The Pacific Institute's education are reverberating around the world. For weekly updates, go to
www.TPIGlobalNews.com

---------------------------------------------------

To view past Winner's Circle messages, or make changes to your subscription, or unsubscribe, go to web site
http://mailman.wolfe.net/mailman/listinfo/wcn

For any problems, please email rschau@pac-inst.com

---------------------------------------------------

The Pacific Institute, Inc. copyrights 1997-2010. All rights reserved.

Winner's Circle Network with Lou Tice (WCN) is a registered trademark of The Pacific Institute.

Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Say Thank You to Saint For This Useful Post:
Thank You (08-21-2011), Thank You (06-29-2010), Thank You (09-21-2010)
Unread 07-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
CarlyO

Veddddy Interesting Saint ! Seriously, it truly food for thought, Thanks : )

Hope you are well - Carly
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 11:09 PM   #3
Saint

Carly,

Hi - Yes it was an eye opener for me. Another example of how things aren't always as they appear at first glance. A different perspective on emotions that I never saw, the forest for the trees as it were.

I'm well as I trust you are? I'm still trying to decide if I like living with myself..... : )

I miss you when your gone. That goes for you too Lee.

Regards,
Saint
Unread 07-11-2010, 11:52 PM   #4
Magda

In the past few years I have realized that I cannot change how others think, feel, or react- I can only change ME. Not like it is a rude awakening or anything, but I am not the only one who deals with my reactions to things that get to me, and sometimes those things are totally out of my hands- I needed to learn to let allot go because my reactions were slowly destroying all the hard work I had done to heal myself.
Maybe it just comes with age, I don't know. I am glad that I look at life with less angst these days- it makes for a much more peaceful life.
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Magda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #5
Saint

Magda,

I couldn't agree more. You reminded me of something I heard many, many years back. It went like this: "Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff". To a large degree I believe that. And yes it does make for a more peaceful life.

Those experiences that come with age I think of as one becoming 'mature'.

When one becomes an expert at being 'Mature', you are now 'Wise' ; )

Have a great day Magda.

Regards,
Saint
Unread 07-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
R. Lee

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint View Post
Carly,

Hi - Yes it was an eye opener for me. Another example of how things aren't always as they appear at first glance. A different perspective on emotions that I never saw, the forest for the trees as it were.

I'm well as I trust you are? I'm still trying to decide if I like living with myself..... : )

I miss you when your gone. That goes for you too Lee.

Regards,
Saint
Saint, I'm up & running again. I posted on my 5 years sober thread what happened to be a MIA. thank you for caring about me. You help keep me sober.
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote