Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 06-15-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
gina

Default sub interactions with anti-depressants

HELLO EVERYONE,
THIS IS MY FIRST TIME POSTING A TOPIC ON THIS SITE. I'VE BEEN ON SUB FOR ABOUT 2 YEARS. IT HAS HELPED ME ENORMOUSLY WITH MY CRAVINGS AND I HAVE REMAINED SOBER. MY ONLY QUESTION IS ABOUT THE INTERACTIONS BETWEEN ANTI-DEPRESSANTS AND SUB IN THE BRAIN. IN THE PAST I HAD ALOT OF SUCCESS WITH EFFEXOR AND CYMBALTA. HOWEVER, ONCE I BEGAN TREATMENT WITH THE SUB I WAS NO LONGER ABLE TO TOLERATE MY ANTI-DEPRESSANT MEDICATION. I BECAME VERY ILL AND FELT MUCH BETTER WHEN I STOPPED TAKING THEM. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT THOSE PARTICULAR ANTI-D'S WERE THE ONLY ONES THAT EVER WORKED FOR ME, I THINK POSSIBLY BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO DO WITH SEROTONIIN AND DOPAMINE SELECTIVE REUPTAKE. IT SEEMS THAT THE ANTI-D'S THAT ONLY WORK ON SEROTONIN DO NOT WORK FOR ME, YET THEY ARE THE ONLY THING I CAN TOLERATE. SO II'VE SWITCHED FROM WELLBUTRIN TO PROZAC (WHICH I AM CURRENTLY TAKING) BECAUSE MY BODY AND BRAIN HAVE NO PROBLEM TOLERATING THEM. UNFORTUNEATLY I DON'T FEEL THAT THEY HELP MY CHRONIC DEPRESSION IN THE LEAST. I'M WONDERING WHAT IS DIFFERENT IN MY BRAIN CHEMISTRY SINCE I STARTED THE SUB AS COMPARED TO BEFORE. WHAT DOES IT HAVE TO DO WITH DOPAMINE REUPTAKE? HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED ANYTHING SIMILAR WITH THE WAY THEY REACT TO ANTI-D'S ON SUB COMPARED TO THE WAY THEY REACTED PRIOR TO BEING ON IT? ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. ACCORDING TO THE DOCTORS I'VE SPOKEN TO THE SUB SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY EFFECT ON THE ACTION OF THE ANTI-D'S, BUT I AM CERTAIN THAT SOMETHING HAS CHANGED BECAUSE I CANNOT TAKE MY EFFEXOR ANYMORE WITHOUT SEVERE SIDE EFFECTS. ANY IDEAS?
THANK YOU AND TAKE CARE,
GINA
gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2008, 06:04 PM   #2
Mike

Hi Gina,
Welcome to the board! I was able to stop my anti-depressant (celexa) when I started sub, but not because of an interaction but because the sub itself worked as an anti-depressant for me. I don't know of sub interfering with other anti-D but I'm sure its possible, working on the same part of the brain and all. This article is written by a doctor about bupe and depression, he also has a book that might talk about it more?? http://www.naabt.org/documents/The_B...Depression.pdf

Welcome again, (typing in all caps means YOU ARE YELLING)[:0]
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Mike For This Useful Post:
Thank You (10-22-2009)
Unread 06-16-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
gina

Hello Mke, Sorry for yelling. I had no idea. I'm just lazy and i can type alot faster without having to capitalize things. I've been writing letters to friends using all caps in different colors, fonts etc. I hope i haven't offended anyone OOOPS!!! I did it again.
I wanted to thank you for your response and the info link. I read the article and it does make alot of sense. I believe it may be working as an anti-d for me, actually i'm sure of it, especially for the first year i was on it, then some mild depression began to set in and i freaked out and wanted to get on medication again before it had a chance to take me down. Perhaps i jumped the gun, because i do feel happy, even on the prozac which i'm thinking i could probably do without. Thank you so much for helping me out here. And what you said seems true, about the same area of the brain being used at the same time with the anti'd's and the blockers and reuptake inhibitors etc...Sub is bound to effect the ability of an anti-d to interact chemically in the brain, but i don't know if anyone has really studied this stuff yet. Do you suppose a miracle could come in the form of a sublingual tablet? I do. Thanks again.
gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2008, 06:44 PM   #4
Mike

Thanks gina, no prob about the caps, I did the same thing when I started.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 07:43 AM   #5
PiperMaru

Hi Gina,

When I saw my doc yesterday I asked her specifically about anti-d's and sub. I take Effexor & Wellbutrin, plus Lyrica (not an anti-d, but still wanted to mention it). My doc said her understanding is sub had no interaction with anti-d's, but it does react negatively with anxiety meds. Just thought I would mention it.

Piper
PiperMaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
follydad

I showed my physician by Effexor and Xanax bottles. I take 75mg Effexor and .5mg Xanax (1 pill). I've taken these drugs for 7 years and never abused them, never taken more than 1 Xanax in a day. I just know how deadly they can be from family experience. So the physician said he was fine with it. No problem with the Effex or the one Xanax, at least in his mind. I was thrilled with this news because I have occasional panic attacks -- real bonafide paralyzing hyperventilating panic attacks -- and I don't know if I would have started Sub if I had to give it up. I'm not addicted to Xanax, but they are occassionally an absolute necessity.
follydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
sunflower1776

I also was on Effexor 75mg, Lamictal 200 mg (mood stabilizer) and up to 3mg of xanax a day (as prescribed). The sub doc knew what meds I was on. We decided that I needed more treatment for bipolar than depression. He took me off of the anti-d but started another mood stabilizer. There was not any reason that the anti-d would've interacted with the subs though...he would have kept me on them if they were working. But, I do think that once you stop using opiates, the real depression issues surface and those meds that worked for you before may not work for you now. IMO. I know that mine weren't working but that is because I medicated with opiates and disregarded the fact that by taking the anti-d was doing no good because I was basically covering it all up anyway. It wasn't until I started subs and started on the right meds did I start feeling better.

As for the xanax be careful if you're using it. I'm tapering off of mine right now and taking Lunesta nightly rather than the xanax, but I still take 1-2mg of xanax daily to get me through the anxiety. Good luck to you--if you feel any meds aren't working, definitely check with your sub doc to see if something needs to be changed. Sounds like you've found the right combo now.
sunflower1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 05:26 PM   #8
azg2b

Hi gina, sorry to hear you're having a rough time.

Oddly enough, I was on Cymbalta 60mgs before I started Sub therapy but then was upped to 90mgs by my Sub physician! I haven't had any adverse effects while on Sub (utex) - I don't think the Subutex would make a difference- but I do have problems when I run out of my Cymbalta for a few days before I can afford to refill it.

Sorry to hear of your struggle. When I meet with my Sub doctor on the 18th I'll inquire about your problem and chime back in with what he says.

Hang in there okay? Keep talking, keep sharing. We're here for you.

J
azg2b is offline   Reply With Quote