Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 02-28-2017, 04:46 PM   #1
Sub.saved.me

Default Afraid to tell the 12 step community

I have been on subs for 5 months and i attend 12 step and
meetings becuse i am afraid ill be labeled a cheater
Even though i know i am not the only one. This has been going on for 3 yers since i was on methadone prior to this. Im tired of the steps and how to be programmed but since ive got both feet in i feel i cant quit. I go with the thought of it cant hurt me. Any thoughts? Please reply
Sub.saved.me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2017, 08:00 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Sub.saved.me, welcome. What medication you take is nobody's business but yours, your doctor's and whoever YOU want to tell.

Taking a medication for a medical condition is NOT addiction. Anyone who says you are, is ill informed. Addiction is uncontrollable, compulsive behavior despite negative consequences.

This might be a good thread for you to read:
http://addictionsurvivors.org/vbulle...ad.php?t=27214

Hope that helps!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2017, 06:43 AM   #3
Sub.saved.me

Default Thanks

I keep hearing that.should i tell my sponsor its been 5 months
Unread 03-02-2017, 06:53 AM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi again, is it really any of your sponsor's business what medications you take? I personally don't think so. And you shouldn't feel guilty if you don't tell her. I would think in AA or NA it's your actions that should be important, not medication. You have a sponsor, you're working the steps, you're staying out of active addiction. THAT is what matters, right?

Maybe this will help, Glen has been involved with 12-step meetings on and off for 30 years.
http://addictionsurvivors.org/vbulle...ad.php?t=26316

Hope that helps.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2017, 04:38 PM   #5
Sub.saved.me

ThankS nancyb i will follow your direction and the post you shared
Unread 03-05-2017, 07:50 PM   #6
jayded655321

I went to AA while being on subs. I felt like I was cheating. That's just me. It took me 10 years to get off subs. Now I can really try AA/NA. But if going to AA is a first step towards recovery, then try it on.
jayded655321 is offline   Reply With Quote