Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 02-01-2017, 09:42 PM   #1
angelg496

Default Need help

Been taking opioids legally since 2010 was referred to a pain clinic since 2010 did not have much result from procedures and became tolerant to hydrocodone I decided I was not getting any relief from pain clinic so I stopped going their and thought my primary dr would help I asked if there was something I could take to help me come off she informed me their was nothing and said subutex was for drug addicts so I stopped going to her and now I have no primary dr I have tried to get another dr but have no luck I'm thinking it is because they are thiinking I am seeking drugs and all I want is to be under dr care I went through withdrawals and a friend gave me some subutex it seem to help tremendously but I have fear it might interact with my lisinopril or levothyroxin I need a dr to help me I don't want drugs all I want is to get help and not get a reaction from subutex I also have great anxiety fear something is going to happen I have a good insurance but these clinics want money in cash pleasesomeone help me
angelg496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2017, 07:24 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi angelg496, welcome. FDA-speaking, your doctor is correct. Most forms of buprenorphine are FDA approved for opioid addiction only. Your primary care physician may not be have her "X" DEA number which is needed to prescribe it. She could have though prescribed it 'off label' for pain - but not for tapering off of hydro - in doing that your insurance company may not have covered it and some pharmacies will not prescribe it.

That said, there is a buprenorphine formulation that is FDA approved for pain. It's called Belbuca. It's a film you put on the inside of your cheek.
http://www.bdsi.com/BELBUCA.aspx

There's also a buprenorphine patch called BuTrans:
https://butrans.com/

When you're looking for a new doctor, how are you presenting yourself that they think you're drug seeking? Maybe if you had a different approach it might work better? Who is prescribing your lisinopril or levothyroxin - have you asked that doctor to help manage your pain?

As for interactions, you would be best served by asking a pharmacist.

Hope this is helpful.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote