Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 12-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
ADMIN
Administrator

Default Step 12

Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these Steps, we tried to
carry this message to people with addiction disorders, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
ADMIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
Heath

Tim, i read all these steps. I have been with your site since 2/5/09. I can honestly say i have completed these steps. I have never read this thread since i started here. Guess i did things backwards. It is so important that people stop relying on thereselves through this life. It's not up to us, it's up to god. It says in the bible that only when we can come to the ends of ourselves, which means to put your pride in your back pocket, can we come to know god the way he wants us to. This is so true. I pray all the time for people with problems and sincerly wish they could walk in the light of christ like i try to. I am so happy inside now that i have been saved and asked god into my life and to take control of it. I go through each day happy and full of life. Getting off drugs was the main thing that allowed me to be closer to him.
God bless you and have a merry christmas.
Heath
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 11:54 PM   #3
gotitang

Heath,
This is a new part of Addiction Survivors , that is why you are just now seeing this. We are working on an added extra for peoples recovery. We will be sharing on our experience working the AA Steps. AA is a 12 step program. It is not affiliated with any kind of religion. When the steps refer to God it is a God of your own understanding. The reason for this is that there are people who have had bad experiences with religion and God. But...through the steps they are better able to connect to something bigger than them. (We choose to call that God but we don't push that on anyone!) How sad would it be if people couldn't get recovery because of there "old" beliefs. Some have been run off just by the mention of God in the rooms of AA/NA. This is sad. Some don't get a chance to work the steps because they are run off by someone in the rooms that say we are on a medication we do not belong in AA/NA. This also harms people. That is why we are now starting this forum called "Steps without stigma". Now people can see what the steps are about without being run off. We hope that the members that are having trouble with the God thing can get through the steps and at least find a new way of living.
We are using this AA principals as a format to guide people to a stronger recovery. We give our experience and encouragement to those wanting to join us.
BUT...it is very important that this does not become a debate about anyone's GOD. We are here to guide people through the steps. That is all. Okay! If you are interested in working the steps or have any questions regarding the steps please feel free to join us on the Chat. Or post anything regarding your experience having worked the steps. All other posts are still directed to the other support forum.
Welcome.
gotitang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
R. Lee

Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps we tried to carry this message to the alcoholic, & to practice these principals in all our affairs.

Coming into the program I was a flat out Atheist. I resisted the god steps. I hung around long enough to realize the a human was not the top rung on the ladder hens ther was a higher power. Now I can work the steps to the best of my ability. Progress not perfection.

12 step work is some of my favorite work. I carry the message many ways. It helps me stay sober.
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
toms

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Lee View Post

Coming into the program I was a flat out Atheist. I resisted the god steps. I hung around long enough to realize the a human was not the top rung on the ladder hens ther was a higher power. Now I can work the steps to the best of my ability. Progress not perfection.
Well said, buddy. What do they say in the program...."bring the body and the mind will follow." ? Maybe the "is there or isn't there?" argument is only semantics? In my mind, the key point about a Higher Power is that, whatever it is, it sure is NOT me! I thought for a long time that many of the Program's teachings were beyond me, or something that I could never follow or believe in. Accepting my entrenched beliefs simply closed doors for me. I'd have to say that I am extremely lucky to have survived long enough to get past that kind of thinking.

Looking back, my only explanation for this change is that it had to have come through HP. Perhaps, though, like so many aspects of the program, all that was required was a slight shift in perception. In retrospect, I kick myself for being so stubborn. All the things that I was convinced were wrong with the program, turned out instead to be wrong with me. It used to piss me off to no end to hear some of the elder statesmen claim that nothing worked until they did the steps as instructed. What a shock to finally discover that they (not myself) were correct all along!
Unread 03-01-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
theswan

This step is also a review of our progress.

The service part is wide and inclusive to all work done to better mankind. We serve not just folks in recovery but all we meet.

Glen
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 11:17 AM   #7
OhioMike

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by theswan View Post
This step is also a review of our progress.

The service part is wide and inclusive to all work done to better mankind. We serve not just folks in recovery but all we meet.

Glen

Well said Glen and thank you, personally, thank you!

That is a message I need to hear for myself more often!

Mike
Unread 03-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #8
theswan

You are welcome my friedn Mike-simple does it!

Glen
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote