Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 01-09-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
Miarich

Default Almost.....

Today I made it through the morning without drinking - this amazing for me. I did cave, and am really sick about it. I do compressor repairers on Ice machines and was offered a beer at a package store and could not resist. I bought more on the way home, I could not resist, but I think I'm getting there. How does one resist such powerful temptations? I really want this, I am really tying, but I gave in.
Miarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
dave53190

Hi miarich - don't be too tough on yourself. You have the necessary desire and many people never even get that far.

As I see it, an alcoholic, by definition, has lost the ability to NOT DRINK.
I asked God, Spirit of the Universe, Power greater than myself, (whatever your conception of a god may be) to relieve me of the obsession to drink. I have never regained the ability to NOT DRINK, the problem has been removed from me.

I never shy away from mentioning Alcoholics Anonymous. It is there that you can find all that is necessary to have the DRINK problem removed from your life forever. If there existed another way of solving our problem I would offer it to you. In AA you can learn how to rely upon a power greater than yourself. You will know a life that you never thought would have been possible for you. You will never again feel like you did today!
dave53190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
CASEY

Hi Miarich,

Welcome to this site!
This is a great site where you can come and VENT-very important.
You have to remember that you are " ONLY HUMAN". Breaking habit's and dependancy is not easy. It can be day by for day , hour by hour or even minute by
minute. Don't kick yourself for slipping. Have you ever thought of Detox, sometime's that is what someone need's. You also should try to look into Therapy! I have no problem w/AA, I just think the one on one can be more personal and you can tell this person anything and it can never be repeated.
Everyone has their own way of kicking what ever their drug of choice is.
Some believe it is God, I am more of a Spiritual Person, and I find that help's many people I know.
You have to take it one day at a time. And if you mess up , don't beat yourself up,
just start again.
This is in no way an easy process, it take's determantion, will power and also understanding why you drink?? There is alway's a reason. You really have start to look deep into yourself and start to understand why this has a hold on you!!

Even if you just read some of the storie's on this site, they may be like your's or worse!! But we are here to just give you advice and you can do with it what you want.
Just remember anything worth having is never easy!! Baby step's!!

I Wish You Luck,
Casey
CASEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
jerryg

Miarich,

It's good to hear of your efforts. It is possible to change. You are asking the right questions. Don't lose heart. It will be challenging but you can do it.
A key part to success is to find someone to talk with about what you are going through. It is said that this is a disease of isolation. The tendency to isolate is a symptom.

Do you notice how you tend to isolate when drinking? How you keep it a secret? This happens for a variety of reasons, shame, guilt, anger and sadness. People who drink in alcoholic ways are triggered by stress, and the process of secrets are a burden and stressful.

Learning to open up and reengage with a sympathetic community is needed. Is there anyone you can sit down and have a frank and honest talk about your decision to stop drinking and what you are going through?
Do you have a relationship with some sort of professional counseling, therapist or minister? A family member or friend you trust to be confidential and discreet?

There is tendency to isolate in early recovery as well, because it is a painful period.
Have you been going to meetings, AA or rational recovery? You may find it uncomfortable to do this on the outset but it is crucial to staying sober and extending sobriety into recovery.

Please make use of the contact here to vent honestly in the service of your commitment to quit. And keep an eye out for opportunities to connect with empathetic folks you around you that can be of help.
And also look into other options including medical support to help follow through on your commitment to get sober.

Check out this link.

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/treatm...ns/default.cfm

What do you think?

All the best
Jerry
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
jerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
CarlyO

Hi Miarich,

You already got great feedback from both Dave and Casey, in the end find what works for you.
Stopping alcohol can be difficult without support, it is like you are stopping something that had a big place in your life, so when you stop it, something needs to take its place. Some people choose meetings, counseling, or a combination of support.
Some people may even fill that void with a hobby, new friendships, re-connecting with family/friends, excercise, religion if it helps.

Someone offered you a beer and you probably did what feels natural to you, but the more distance , the more days /time that you are able to put between you and the alcohol, the easier it becomes to handle such situations. It will not feel like second nature, but sometimes it takes work, ok I won't lie, it usually takes work, but it is worth it. Some people can stop and the desire to drink is just gone, but some of us had to work on it.

As Glennda, another moderator here says we all have had those "false starts", don't beat yourself up, that just keeps you stuck, keep moving forward. Keep posting , keep trying.
Take care, Carly : )

Links for support options...

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/treatm...ns/default.cfm

Locator ... just type in your zip code

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/local/
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to CarlyO For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-13-2009)
Unread 01-11-2009, 11:24 PM   #6
plshelpme

pls help me
plshelpme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2009, 11:28 PM   #7
plshelpme

I've prayed and prayed and prayed; it seems the more I pray, the worse I get. Am I praying the wrong thing??? Please - tell me!!!
plshelpme is offline   Reply With Quote