Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 06-25-2007, 09:08 PM   #1
Hozz

Default Newbie here, Started Subz. today

Thank you so much for this forum it's been a godsend for me. Briefly, I'm a 48 yr old male who started with a back surgery in 98'. I've been on 120mg of ms contin and 6-8 percs everyday for the last 7 years.

I took my first sub (8mg) at 1:30pm (cst) today and feel 75% better. The 48 withdrawal was brutal and I sleep maybe 1/2 hour last night. My MD is a FMG and spent 10 mins with me in my initial assessment. Today I saw him for 5 min and he gave me a script for 3 - 8mg tabs. He wants to see me again tomorrow and Wednesday. (Probably wants the 100 bucks per visit) Anyways, is there anything I should be looking out for or will I be feeling like "normal" soon? I am not in a hurry to get off; I just want my life back.

Also, thanks for everyone posting their experiences, it was a real help and I congratulate everyone for trying to get off their DOC.
Hozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2007, 09:31 PM   #2
Mike

Hi Hozz,
You'll feel better once your blood levels stabilize. The first week is the hardest, but it sounds like you are doing ok. It also looks like you addiction didn't get too out of hand in those 7 years, that's good. I was shooting heroin by year 5. I think you will feel normal in a few days and you may even be able to reduce your dose after a couple more weeks.

What is your pain status now? Do you still need some kind of pain relief? If so the sub might do it (or might not, everyone is different) but if you don't have pain you may be one of the few that won't need a long treatment because you were able to keep that compulsion relatively under control all that time. When you do decide to taper I recommend staying very busy and going very slow. That's what I did and it wasn't that bad. I still had some withdrawal but not enough to miss work and it didn't last very long.

Welcome to the board!!
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2007, 09:38 PM   #3
cat1

Welcome Hozz, I'ts great that you want to get your life back, and you will if thats want you want. You should be feeling normal real soon it took me afew days to feel right. I can't believe it only took 10 min. for your assessment,didn't he ask you a million questions, i was there for 2 hours the first time. But your right all they want is the money,talk to you soon and good luck with everything!

CAT
cat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2007, 09:40 PM   #4
pedenter1

Hi and Welcome Hozz,

Did your doctor give you any instructions on how much Sub to take and when? He probably wants to see you each day for the next several days until you find a stablizing dose. All Drs. seem to do it a little differently - I had an initial evaluation that was $225 and then my induction was $500 cash (not covered by my insurance) but it did cover 4 hours of my induction, when I was in his office and took my first 4mg of sub and then he kept checking on me and after about 2-1/2 hours gave me the other half and had me wait and finally saw that I was sort of kindof waiting to leave and he let me go home. It also covered the next two days of "walk in" check up visits. Then we went to weekly visits until we finally got to a dose that not only kept the W/D's away but since I had permanent chronic pain - helped with that as well. I'm on probably the max. amount you can take - but if you no longer have pain issues-takes as little as possible - enough to keep the cravings and W/D's away.

I'm sure if you've been around the site for a while you know - drink lots and lots of water-Sub dehydrates you. Don't swallow any of the spit our "juice" while the Sub it melting - until I had my Dr. switch me to Subutex I would hold the part of unmelted Sub with my tongue and spit as it melted. (Lovely isn't it?)

As for feeling normal - hmmm - everyone is different - if you mean normal in terms of just phyically - it took me about 4 days at least before I got to the point where I didn't feel hot and sweaty everytime I dosed and the rest of the time I was just freezing (I started April 2nd this year and it was still pretty cold here in CT).

I can't think of too much else, but I'm sure the good folks here will pick up anything I've left out. My best advice is don't try to rush it, get to a good dose for you and take your time - as with most of us we didn't get here in just a few month or even a few years and it takes a while for you to get back to normal *without* the Sub. But you should be feeling pretty good in a week or two at the latest.

Good luck and let us know how you progess.

Pat
pedenter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2007, 09:46 PM   #5
Hozz

Thanks for you prompt response Mike, and congrats to you with your success. I do still have lower back pain however; I had it with the opiates. I must just deal with the pain. It was screwing up my family life with my teenage girls and haven't had sex in god knows how long! All I wanted to do was lay around like a mope. My MD says he doesn't prescribe subutex because people sell them? I don't really care; I just needed relief from my withdrawal. Thank you Mike and good luck to ya.
Unread 06-25-2007, 11:19 PM   #6
Brett

Hozz,

Welcome,

If your MD doesnt prescribe sub, what will you have to do to get your medicine each day? Do you mean he will write for suboxone but not subutex? If so, thats ok, they both do the same thing anyway.

Brett
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2007, 11:45 PM   #7
Hozz

Thanks for your reply Brett. Sorry, I meant he won't write for Subutex only the Zone (w/naltrexone) (sp). Also he said I only need to dose 1x daily and to forget about splitting up my doses. Since I started today, I guess I have to go along with the program as I don't want to start this with someone new who's all about the $$$ also. What ever happened to empathy?

I've had a good headache for the past couple of hours and I tried some Advil. I'm not feeling so good but, anything is better than the withdrawal I was in this am. Thanks for responding.

On Edit (Thank you Nancy, Cat, Pedenter and others) It's caring and thoughtful people like you guys/gals that really motivate me and I'm sure others, THANKS AGAIN!)
Unread 06-25-2007, 11:47 PM   #8
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Hozz and welcome. Another thing with the headaches, make sure you drink plenty of water. That's helped out a lot of people. Hopefully you'll get a good night sleep also, which will help.

Nancy
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2007, 10:12 AM   #9
cscally

Welcome Hozz! You are definitely in the right place as this site is a wealth of information and the people are great!! Keep doing what you are doing, the kinks will all work out once you get stabilized.

Try spitting out the residue that is left in your mouth after your sub melts, it may help with the headaches. A lot of people get headaches from the naloxone. c
cscally is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2007, 10:19 AM   #10
gotoffmdone

Welcome Hozz. Glad your have joined us. Most people with chronic pain seems to get some better relief with splitting their Sub dose throughout the day.

Does your Dr insist you dose once a day and does he know about your back pain? Was he with you long enough to let you say anything. Grab him by his 100 dollar a visit coat tail the next time, and make him listen to you.

A ten minute INITIAL asessment, when your history is supposed to be taken and any concerns or questions you have is to be addressed is rediculus,IMO.

Wayne
gotoffmdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2007, 03:15 AM   #11
Hozz

Well day two has been pretty sh*tty. I dosed at 09:30am and have had a pounding headache since then. I have taken Nancy's advice and have been drinking enough water to start my lake. I took 800 mg of Advil and 4 hours later 650mg of aspirin. I needed a two hour nap this afternoon. I think I felt better yesterday. (Pretty weird)

And the constipation hit pretty good too. I used to take Senna with my DOC but I felt I needed more. I took a tablespoon of mineral oil. I already read on this board about "Renew Life CleanseMore" and ordered some today.

My question to you guys/gals is do you think I'm taking too much Sub. or should I split my dose to 4mg in the am and 4mg in the pm? I guess it could be the Naloxone but my MD refuses to write the Subutex.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!
Unread 06-27-2007, 12:38 PM   #12
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Hozz, have you tried spitting out the excess yet also? You won't be losing any bupe as long as the tablet is dissolved. Most people with pain do split their dose, because the analgesic properties of the bupe last for 4 to 6 hours.

Any chance you can find another doctor too? Someone you can actually have a conversation with...

Nancy
Unread 06-27-2007, 02:02 PM   #13
Mike

Hozz,
People have all kinds of symptoms the first week, but most go away. I would try the spitting for the headaches, but they might just go away on their own as your body adjusts to the medication. Taking it once a day will help with constipation. Congrates on being at day 2!
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2007, 03:27 PM   #14
DyingToLive

Hi All:

I'm also new to the board and I also started suboxone today. My first question is did any of you start off at such a low dose? Doc had me take 6mg this morning, and I will be taking 6mg more this afternoon. Or is that actually considered a high dose for the first day? I'm just confused, I have a friend who started at 24mg a day. Anyway, I'm feeling ok now, however I had to test that theory of "can I get high on suboxone" and used about an hour after. For those of you just starting sub, let me be the one to tell you to not even bother trying to use, you will waste your money. Sub completely blocks it.

I know I'm not supposed to feel spectacular on the first day, but I was just wondering when you all started to feel much better. First day, second day, third? I know everyone is different, I'm only trying to keep my chin up and hang in there.

Looking forward to talking with you all.

Thanks!!
DyingToLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2007, 03:32 PM   #15
NancyB
Administrator

Hi DyingToLive and welcome. I moved your post out to a topic of it's own so that more people would see it.

http://www.naabt.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3780

Nancy
Unread 06-28-2007, 09:33 PM   #16
Hozz

Hi all, I wanted to give an update in my day 4 of Subz. I tried someone's advice and tried to split my 8mg dose to 2x daily. We'll that didn't work out too well and after 1 hour of my initial 4mg of Subz. I felt I needed the other 4mg 2 hours later. I have been so tired today I had to call-in sick today to work. Additionally, I had incredible sweats last night with my tee shirt and pillow soaking wet this am. Again, for the last 7 years I was taking 120mg of MS Contin (Usually chewing them) along with 6-8 percs everyday. These drugs were clearly maintenance for me as I didn't get any kind of highà from them in years. It was just to function.

Am I just being impatient here or should I be taking more sub or less?
I guess I am also jealous because I see so many of your guys getting such instant relief. I wish I could call my MD but I know that would be fruitless and I'm sure I would get better answers here. Thanks again.

Hozz
Unread 06-29-2007, 01:42 AM   #17
cat1

Hozz, I've had the same problem with the sleepiness,i can fall asleep standing up. And like you i never felt as great as some of the people on this board feel, but it keeps me from using and messing up my life even more so i guess its worth it, i have been on subutex for 4 months now and have reduced from 32mg. to 16 and still feel the same,but like i said it beats the alternative!!

CAT
cat1 is offline   Reply With Quote