Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 09-30-2006, 01:46 PM   #1
nschroe

Default Im a newbie. Have a couple questions.

Ive been misusing Hydrocodone for a while now, mainly recreationally. About 6 months ago some friends got some Oxycontin, which at the time was pretty scarce in my area. I was about to swallow my 80 mg tablet until on of my buddies said "Dude, you gotta snort it". Since I thought I had my Vicodin use under control I said "eh what the hell, Im sure Ill keep this in check too". Boy was I wrong. Within a month or so I was snorting them nearly everyday. And now its up to 3 80s a day. I am 3.8 student majoring in a very hard program. I never thought I would get so bad. Ive still managed to maintain my grades, but I feel my study habits have suffered tremendously. So my question is, how long has it taken most of you to find a physician? I signed up for the Patient/Dr connection feature, and I plan to call a bunch of Drs in my area in an hour or so when they open. I dont even like taking these drugs anymore, but until I can get help and some suboxone I would get so behind if I had to miss that many days for full qithdrawl. Anyways, sorry for the rambling post. Id just like to say that after reading some posts, everyone here seems very genuine, compassionate, and supportive. I hope I can contribute to this community at the same level as everyone here.

Thank you,
Norm
nschroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2006, 02:09 PM   #2
MattV

Norm,

First, welcome to the greatest place I personally have ever been. I start my treatment Monday. The care, compassion, support, encouragement, advice and love you find here is genuine. I, like you, was scared to death when I first came here. But in the short time, it feels like that semi truck that has been parked on me for the past 4+ years is slowly being lifted. Call a doctor, NOW! I called once and was scheduled right in on Wednesday October 4. I called backed only to confirm and they moved me up two days. The doctors who do this treatment want you to get better. Ask question here, they will be answered. I can't stay far from this site. Read everything, the info is invaluable. Better days, no the best days of our lives are ahead of us.

Matt
MattV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2006, 02:37 PM   #3
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Norm and welcome. Congratulations on taking the first step in seeking help.
Finding a physician varies so much. Depends on where you are, how many certified physicians are in that area, and how many have treatment openings. The Matching System is available 24 hours, so just keep checking your email to see if you get a response. There are new physicians registering every day to participate, so hang in there for that.

Also new physicians are being certified all the time. So keep checking the list in your area. Some opt not to be on the list, so another thing that has worked for people is calling addiction psychiatrists in your area and asking if they are prescribers.

We have a 'live chat' almost every night. I post the time in a topic and you can find us by either clicking the big LIVE CHAT button up top or through this link. http://www.naabt.org/chat.cfm

The education section is full of information also: http://www.naabt.org/education.cfm
And, of course, ask anything you'd like!

Again, welcome!
Nancy
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2006, 03:27 PM   #4
OhioMike

Hey Norm ............ Welcome!

The first step is ............. Do you want to get clean? Are you willing to give up all recreational drugs? Can you live your life without getting a buzz on?

If the answer is yes, then you are in the right spot. If your not sure, then you need to come to terms with yourself first.

This type of recovery can get you clean. Further, it is not a hard program to understand so long as you do not try to make it so.

You can do this, if you are serious. I have real hard time junkies in my group who have changed 20 years of hard use and are doing wonderful. Then I have a couple of people who still want to get the buzz on and take their Sub but now do crack as well. How incredibly stupid. The fact is, they were not serious.

We are here to help you any way we can. Please jump in and ask any question you have. Also make sure to read and reread all of the educational material on this site and the many personal stories.

Norm, welcome and this can work for you too!

Mike
OhioMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2006, 03:52 PM   #5
nschroe

Wow! That was quick, I appreciate all of your encouragment! I feel confident that I can do it. The only "buzz" Ill be seeking is sucess in school. Ive been a pretty sucessful in school so far and that feels better than any drug Ive ever done! So once again thank you, im looking forward to corresponding with you all again real soon!
nschroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2006, 03:58 PM   #6
OhioMike

Good Deal! ........... Your ready go after it and get that buzz in school. Please, just take the time to learn about Sub and to always use it properly. You will do fine.

Mike
OhioMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2006, 01:24 PM   #7
Mary

Hey nschroe! Sending good energy beams to you that you find a doctor soon! -Mary
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2006, 08:13 PM   #8
leesie

Please let us know how you are doing and if you need our support, we're here for you.
leesie is offline   Reply With Quote