Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 09-29-2006, 05:58 PM   #1
camay6

Default Newbie here, Apptl. on Wed. Question on WD

Well, as I lay again on the couch today. have been here all day everyday for about a month. My addiction is outo of control. I was recommended to this site by a lady on the Dr. Phil message boards. I have called countless rehab clinics but they were either extensive inpatient or did not take insurance. I was trying to get a rapid detox but it is too expensive. After finding this site, this medication suboxone seems to be something that would work. I HAVE HOPE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A LONG TIME. I have an appointment on Wednesday here in Clearwater FL, 4 miles from my house. I am really excited but still really scared of feeling the pains of withdrawl. I am really glad I found this site and look forward to my appt on Wed. Thanks to all of you for the words of encouragement even though they were not directed to me. Everyone seems to have good experiences with these meds. I hope I do to. I have taken Hydrocodone for over 6 years and am up to about 25 10mg a day. I am going to stop around 9pm on Tuesday for my appt on wed at 11:30. Should this put me in enough withdrawl? It has been a long time since I have let myself withdrawl I don't know even how long it will take. I hate myself for being so week and not being able to stop this turmoil. My son is 7 and I hate that I don't remember things that he did when he was younger or that I don't want to do anything that he asks me to do. I have been playing catch with him and he loves it. I cannot wait to have my life back so I can be a better mother and get my life back. I used to be full of energy and people envied my life. I appear so differnt on the outside, people think I am a confident and successfull women. If they only knew. Wish me luck all. I am glad you are all here for support. THANKS
camay6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 06:40 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi camay6, here's that link I mentioned in chat about the precipitated withdrawals:

http://www.naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm#70

Let us know if you have any questions, and again, welcome!

Nancy
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 07:00 PM   #3
CTCheryl

I'm new here too! I have found the support so far to be amazing. We can't do this on our own. I too am going for treatment and today is the day I stop my drugs. 5 pm today, and wait for the WD to begin. One of the problems with me is, I had Gastric By-pass surgery 3 years ago. It was very successful, but everything passes through me very quickly. Hence why I can take 40 pills a day and still walk and talk. I am not sure when the WD will begin and how long the sub will last in me. The doc said he will just keep trying dosages until we get it straight. I am telling my husband tonight. He has no idea I am addicted although I know he knows something is wrong. I am pretty sure he thinks it's alcohol. I've been doing both. I stop every day on my way home and get a nip size bottle of vodka and a beer. This is on top of all the pills. How I walk and function is beyond comprehension. Anyway, what I wanted to say to you is, I really related to you saying how you can't remember things your son has done. I was thinking it was my age that affected my memory so much, now I know it's the drugs. I am in a haze all the time. We can do this, I know we can. And we don't have to do it alone anymore!! Hang in there until Weds and I'll let you know how I make out this weekend. Feel free to email me. Take good care, we are on the right path. Cheryl
CTCheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 07:29 PM   #4
Brett

camay

Just relax, you have found the answer, suboxone is a miracle for many, ou will be totally amazed at its power, I was on 80 methadone, before that 4oomg oxy. The sub took care of me. And it will take care of you. You will be able to do the things you want to do. Dont worry about being in major withdrawl, its not necessary. Just mild to moderate is all thats needed, Check your pupils thats a good sign. Good luck, you wont need it tho

Brett
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 07:35 PM   #5
MattV

Camay,

I'm starting Monday. I share your fears and concerns. Listen to the people here, they have given me the hope and courage to do this. My life feels better already knowing that this will work.

Matt
MattV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 07:35 PM   #6
camay6

wow, what fast responses. people here really care. On other sites I post on, they never get replies, I am not used to people really caring. Thanks, it means alot.
Unread 09-29-2006, 07:37 PM   #7
camay6

Matt and Cheryl, I will be here for you and look forward to going through this together.
Unread 09-29-2006, 07:40 PM   #8
Brett

camay6

This site is wear all the good hearted caring people end up, just about everyone here truley cares, I have been here for 6 months and have seen lots of miracles, you will be just fine, ask any questions you may have.

Brett
Unread 09-29-2006, 07:45 PM   #9
camay6

the things that scare me are, will I feel withdrawl after started the meds and what about cravings. Did you have any of either?
Unread 09-29-2006, 07:49 PM   #10
Brett

If you take the correct amount of suboxone there is absolutely zero withdrawl, you will feel 1000 times better then you did on your DOC, the sub satisfys the receptors and tricks them into thinking they have been filled. If you take the right amount NO cravings NO withdrawl For some that could be 2mg for others as much as 32mg, the average starting dose is 16mg per day

Brett

Brett
Unread 09-29-2006, 07:52 PM   #11
camay6

Thanks Brett, I appreciate all of the information and support. I look forward to talking further. I will be in the chat room tonight, Right now I have to go to a fundraiser I am running tonight, Breakfast for Dinner for a child that has cancer in my sons school. Then a bike rodeo with bike safety by the fire dept. I hope it goes well. Wish me luck. Talk to you soon.
Unread 09-29-2006, 07:56 PM   #12
OhioMike

camay,

WELCOME.................

Boy do I understand where your at and how you feel. I began taking vicodin about 6 years ago. My doctor began me on them for what has now turned into a long term chronic pain issue. I was started at 60 tablets per month. That prescription was increased by my doctor over the years until I was up to 120 vicodin every 12 - 13 days. During this time, not once did I abuse the directions of taking vicodin and not once did I lie to my doctor about how I felt. Not only that, not once did I ever get a buzz or feel high from taking vicodin. However, at some point addiction took hold and abuse did begin to take place, as I was needing more and more just to feel good in general, forget about my chronic pain at that point. My life began to change. I say around doing nothing. I wanted to do nothing. I gained huge amounts of body weight. I ignored my family. I was spending more and more money to feed my addiction. Yes, I tried many time to stop or at least to taper down. The results were ugly. My usage increased and my will power vanished. I was a broken man and had no fight left in me. My usage was now more than 100 vicodin per day. It mattered not the milligram size. I was spending more than 400 per day, that is more than 130,000 per year to slowly kill myself. I was in a dark and deep hole with no way out. Then I found this web site and the wonderful people on this board. NAABT is an organization of love, hope and promise.

The answer!

Suboxone can help you. However, you need to be willing to help yourself. You need to properly educate yourself on the disease of addiction and on the therapy of Suboxone. You need to understand that you must take this drug correctly and that you must work while on Suboxone to change all of the addictive habits you now have. Oh I thought I don't have addictive habits. I have not changed. All I need is to get off vicodine. Bull s***. I had changed and it is taking real work to put my life, to put the real me, back together.

We are here to help you, support you and to teach you. If you succeed we all succeed. Do not listen to bull s***, get the real facts. Do not expect Suboxone to be the answer to everything, it is not. Do not freak out or assume that each new ailment is from Suboxone, it is not. If you feel you are having a side effect research it, talk about it, tell your doctor and do this rationally and calmly. Work through it and do not let it hamper your recovery.

Finally, build a COMPLETE recovery plan. Just taking Suboxone may very well NOT be the complete answer. You may need 12 step help, gender group therapy, private therapy or some other kind of assistance. Get it. Do not ignore it. Heal all of yourself and take your life back.

Then the most important thing ........... Enjoy living again. Have fun. Yes, recovery is important, but, please, do not let it rule your life.

Oh, about how to prepare yourself for Suboxone induction. You need to be in mild to moderate w/d. Not harsh punishing w/d. There is really no set time for this, as we are all very different. When I was going through this, I wanted to push myself as far as I could, so I would have no problems. It went wonderfully for me. I was past moderate w/d and after that first 2mg of Sub melted, I felt 100% better and an hour later after 2 more mg. I was in heaven.

I took my last dose of vicodin at 7pm the night before, my induction took place at 6pm the next evening. It was to take place at 4pm but got delayed. I would give yourself at least 12 hours and doing most of it through the night is smart, as you can sleep. Again though, it will depend on how you feel. They will use the COW scale to evaluate you.

Mike
OhioMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 08:45 PM   #13
SavedBySub

Camay6, I'm so happy to see you made it over here. I'm the one from the Dr. Phil board. Didn't I tell you these guys were great? I've learned so much from all of them. Good luck with your appointment. If you will be going to the doctor I suggested than I can promise you are in great hands. He's an amazing doctor. I'm eventually going to leave my primary doctor and change to him because I feel so comfortable with him. By the way, I took my last dose of hydro about 5 hours before I took my first dose of Sub. You'll be fine.
SavedBySub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 09:56 PM   #14
wil

Camay6,CTCheryl, and MattV, I hope and feel pretty sure things go well for your inductions. I had same anxiety and scared restless feelings 2 wk ago when I started. I feel great now and have no regrets, as sub is all it was cracked up to be for me. CTCheryl, my friend JT will be starting on suboxone tonight also. She has her 30, 2mg tabs and is prescribed to take 2mg each 2 to 4 hrs, after waiting long enough for wds to set in. She plans on taking her last snort of oxy(she's been at 250 to 300mg/day)around 6:30 tonight and hopes to be in enough wd around 6 AM. As I had to do, shes waiting till 6;30pm for last DOC to be able to go to a ballgame without wds tonight. I'm going to advise her to start with 8mg sub as I started by the book with 2mg and spent 12 hrs getting relief only when I reached 24mgs: needless suffering I feel. Anyway, best of results to all and one of us will probably be posting back late pm or early am. Again, I feel all will go well, Wil
wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 11:36 PM   #15
camay6

saved by sub. I am going to Dr. Haas in Clearwater, is this who you see? I found him on this site. I hope it is the same one you are saying is amazing. I was going to try to wean myself this weekend off of hydro but I am having an excruciating tooth ache. A Piece of my tooth broke off and it was fine for a few days but now it is hurting even into my jaw. Great, now something else that takes money I don't have. Probably root canal and crown. another 1500 minimum. When does it end. I took 5 hydros and still no relief. Funny how when you need it for something you have built your immunity up so much that it has no relief.

OHMIKE, Hi, funny, This is like I woke up one morning and was an addict. but it has actually been 7 or so years. I started for legitimat reason and POW here I am. I liked my life before, I had it pretty good. How things change, I probably won't recongnize myself when I am sober. I will have to find myself again. I hope I like what I find when the fog is lifted. Thanks for all your support and I am so looking forward to the light at the end of the tunnel. All others that are getting started around the same time as me, please keep posting so I know how it is going for all of you. If anyone needs anything and are in FL. I would be happy to help.

OHMIKE, what part of OH? I just moved from there.
Unread 09-29-2006, 11:43 PM   #16
camay6

SAVEDBYSUB,

I actually found a Dr. that will take my insurance, I can see him 20 times in calendar year and only have to pay 30.00 and 15.00 copay for my scripts if I have to have anything filled. I made a lot of calls and most did not take my insurance, The one you recommended did not. They wanted 950.00 for the first two visits and I did not really go into detail after that. Thanks for all of the other info, that is what got me here. This is a great place to be and only to get better. I have hope.

Unread 09-30-2006, 12:35 AM   #17
NancyB
Administrator

wil, I'm glad you're doing well, and please let us know how JT does.
Sending my best to you both!!
Nancy
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2006, 02:28 AM   #18
SavedBySub

Camay, My doctor must have raised his fee's. I paid $450 for the first 3 visits and that included the medicine. That's great you found a doctor that takes your insurance. It is hard to find ones that do. Must mean it was meant to be for you to find this doctor. Are you excited? Didn't you say you live in Tarpon? I'm in New Port Richey but my mom and sister live in Tarpon. About your tooth, hydro did not releave my pain in the end either.It's strange but all my pain went away once I got off hydro. Hope your tooth feels better soon!
Unread 09-30-2006, 02:30 AM   #19
gotoffmdone

If I could have chosen the drug to switch from, to the Sub,it would have been the drug you are using now. If done properly the induction seems to always go smoothly. I was on the same drug you're on but I was taking 30 a day insted of 25. I abused the hyros for approx 10 yr then got on methadone. The switch from methadone to Sub was hell on earth for me because I was unwilling to follow the proper protocol. If Sub had been around when I got on methadone I could have saved myself ten yrs of misery trying to get off of a drug that I was told was so benign.

Like someone else said, relax and do not worry. If you follow the proper protocol you will be amazed like everyone else here at how well you will feel and how quick you will feel it. Your hydro days are fast becoming a part of your past. Hang in there.

Wayne
---------
ex-methadone user
gotoffmdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2006, 03:44 AM   #20
camay6

SAVEDBYSUB
Unread 09-30-2006, 03:47 AM   #21
camay6

oops sorry for the last post, hit enter or someting, anyway, savedbusub, I live in Palm harbor, just south of Tarpon. I live at innisbrook off of us 19> I am really excited about Wed, I may even call on monday and see if they can get me in on Mon or Tues, I really need to do this soon. the sooner the better.

gooffmdone, I hear methadone is really hard to come off of, I am glad you are doing well. The worst is behind you. I am looking forward to putting all of this behind me. All of us in FL needs to get together one evening for diner, that would be great support, we could start our own group. I have a great clubhous with nice pool, theatre, pool table and hot tub we could have it at.....
Unread 09-30-2006, 03:51 AM   #22
MattV

Camay6,

My daughter and her mother live near you. They are in Pasco County, New Port Richey. You also mentioned being from Ohio, that's where I am.

Matt
MattV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2006, 04:13 AM   #23
SavedBySub

Matt, I live in New Port Richey. Wow..small world.
Unread 09-30-2006, 04:35 AM   #24
OhioMike

Camay,

I am in the Columbus area.

Mike
OhioMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2006, 05:43 PM   #25
camay6

Mike I moved from Grove City area and worked in Dublin, Small world
Unread 09-30-2006, 06:06 PM   #26
angel

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OhioMike

camay,

Oh, about how to prepare yourself for Suboxone induction. You need to be in mild to moderate w/d. Not harsh punishing w/d. There is really no set time for this, as we are all very different. When I was going through this, I wanted to push myself as far as I could, so I would have no problems. It went wonderfully for me. I was past moderate w/d and after that first 2mg of Sub melted, I felt 100% better and an hour later after 2 more mg. I was in heaven.

I took my last dose of vicodin at 7pm the night before, my induction took place at 6pm the next evening. It was to take place at 4pm but got delayed. I would give yourself at least 12 hours and doing most of it through the night is smart, as you can sleep. Again though, it will depend on how you feel. They will use the COW scale to evaluate you.

Mike
Hard punishing wds did you say[}] (((raising my hand!!!)? Been there.

I am still glad I did it according to my doctors instructions. Why you ask? Why do I say that? Reason? Really selfish. Am glad to remind myself one last time why I never want to take oxy again. In a short 6 week period, that had been my 4th wd from oxy. Never want to go back. Angel
angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2006, 11:47 PM   #27
camay6

Angel, That is a great idea, as much as I am dreading WD's, I am going to TRY to go as long as I can, possibly 24 hours before my Appt, to also remind myself what it feels like and one of the many reasons why I am doing this. I have only gone through really rough wd's twice in 5 years. I can't wait to have all of that money I have been spending a month back in my account. I am so glad I found this site for all of the support that it has to offer. My appt is on Wed but I am going to try to get in on Monday or Tuesday. I was scared about the appt but the more I read on here, the better I feel about it. Thanks to everyone.