Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 01-02-2009, 05:21 AM   #1
willito

Default Hello everyone

Thought I would introduce myself over here since I'm trying to stop drinking myself. I usually post on the suboxone side,as thats what brought me to these boards a year ago. I've recently found out how much damage my drinking has caused me. My story is here: http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=20159

My Sub Dr. is treating me with Klonopin to help with the withdrawals, yet I just keep on relapsing. I make it a few days,then get somewhere and the trigger hits and away I go again. I don't understand why I can't stop. I've already seen from the MRI the damage I've done to the short term memory area of my brain. I'm not a suicidal person either, I just have no willpower to say no,even tho I know I'm risking permanent brain damage each time. The Klonopin helps some,but apparently not enough. I have taken to drinking the NA beers some, which helps for some reason. I'm so used to sitting at the comp and having the beers lined up everyday. Not sure if that's cheating,the NA beer drinking, but its what has helped the most for now.

Anyways, now that I'm back home in Casper I'm looking for a therapist to help me out with this. Just wanted to introduce myself to all of you and I'm always open to any advice or help you can give me. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Happy New Year to all of you.

Will
willito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
CASEY

Will,
Welcome to this site , just one word about the Non-Alcoholic beer, it does have a little alcohol in it, and as they say it is not the First beer or choice of drug - it is the
15th.
This is not an easy process in the least, but with help and srength you can do it!!
Even if you just want to come here to vent , feel free. We are all stranger's, but we all know what you are going through and we try to help & you can do with it what you want.
But please remember, like a favorite show of mine ; " WE NEVER SLEEP " Someone is alway's here at differant time's.
I wish you luck, but when you do get clean it is amazing how you see the world so
differently, that feeling is really worth the hard work. It really is!!
I hope you keep coming to this site!
Take Care!!
Casey
CASEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
CarlyO

Smile Welcome Willito

Welcome Willito,

Glad you are over here and you know keep trying and you can do this. I posted some links, some I am sure you already know about. Since the cravings are so bad, read and ask your doctor if you would be a candidate for Vivitrol or other medication to help with alcohol cravings. If you read Jane Doe's Posts/threads - she has had success with medication assisted treatment and has great feedback as well.

How are you doing with sub?

Willito congrats on NOT giving up and thank you for sharing the information about the damage alcohol intake is causing. Please keep us posted - take care, Carly

Treatment locator : Physicians, counselors and treatment facilities..

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/local/

Below is a list of the various support groups that are available and how to find one near you. There is now much more than traditional AA, there are many types of support groups out there.

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/resour...port-links.cfm

*** Link to medication assisted treatment options... this can be an invaluable tool to help with cravings.

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/treatm...-treatment.cfm
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2009, 10:32 PM   #4
CarlyO

Willito- Vivitrol is contraindicated with sub. I am glad admin already gave you the info. regarding the medications with sub.

Hope all is well - take care, Carly
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 01-02-2009, 11:22 PM   #5
JaneDoe

Will looks like you've been through hell lately with your health. I hope all stays under control.

I did do the vivitrol shot, but it looks like it won't work for you. I do know someone who took camprel for a while. He said it was a pain at first taking it 3x a day, but then it was like routine with meals. He's been clean a little less time then me. But like me, needed a little help med wise to get me where I am now. A year without booze.

K-pins didn't help me one of the many times I tried to quit. I became attached to them. That's a hard kick, those WDs feel like hell. So do alcohol WDs.

Find a therapist. Don't put it off. Don't settle for one if you don't like them. I made so much introspective progress with private therapy. Looked at why I kept getting f*cked up. Why I wanted to run away. And most of it was running away from my own stuff.

Keep posting too. It helped me a lot.

JaneDoe
JaneDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2009, 03:06 PM   #6
CarlyO

Hi Willito- Just checking in with you- hope all is going well. Carly : )

JANE ! Big Congrats On 1 Year - woo hoo !! I would sing but it would most likely destroy your hard drive ; ) Take care, Carly
Unread 03-04-2009, 03:44 AM   #7
willito

Hi all, still lurking abouts. Dr. is trying me on Campral now, along with Klonopin for cravings,and that damn muscle shaking. God I hate that. But it's working ok so far. Just wanted to say hello. Will try to drop in more than once a month. Hope you all have a great week and weekend. Enjoy that sushine where you can
willito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 10:54 PM   #8
CarlyO

Hi Willito,

Glad you stopped by, yes, please keep us updated on you and especially the Campral. Is it helping your cravings?
Thanks and take care, Carly