Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 11-26-2008, 02:31 AM   #1
tman2522

Default stress relievers?

im struggling with alcoholism and cocaine addiction. ive been sober since friday. im staying with my father, walking on egg shells. ive been having bad day after bad day, im so stressed. is there anything you did to calm yourself down? im open to any suggestions. thanks.
tman2522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2008, 10:59 AM   #2
JaneDoe

tman2522, congrats on almost a week. That's huge with drinking.
I'm copying something I posted earlier:

"I did it with help. I got the vivitrol shot 3 months in a row and went to a counselor. Worked a lot of issues out. Reasons I drank. The vivitrol helped me not to drink. I did test it a couple of times and after one or two I said the hell with it. Didn't do a thing for me.

Here are my story threads.
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=18957
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=19103
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=19104

Seeing a therapist really helped me a lot. Along with the vivitrol shot. Did you watch the video. That could be my story.
http://www.alcoholanswers.org/tom/

There's another medication called campral that's supposed to help too. I just went with the shot because I wouldn't have to remember to take a pill, or 'forget' to take it, if you know what I mean. Here's info on medications that might help.
http://www.alcoholanswers.org/treatm...-treatment.cfm

Have you tried AA meetings? They can help because you'll be with others going through the same thing. Talking about what you're going through helps and you can get phone numbers of people to call if you're not doing so hot.

I also walked/exercised. That helped to relieve stress too.

You're doing great. Keep moving forward.

JaneDoe
JaneDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2008, 11:03 AM   #3
CASEY

tman2522,

Please be very careful trying to go cold turkey, you are better off under the care of a Doctor. This can be very serious. You could have a siezure , which is extremly serious!!

I wish you luck!
Casey
CASEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2008, 12:34 AM   #4
CarlyO

Default Welcome TMan

Hi tman and Welcome to the forum !
Congratulations on making a life changing decision !!! How are you doing since yesterday's post? I am worried about you trying to do this on your own. This could be why you are mega stressed - withdrawal is not pleasant and Cold Turkey is the worst and can be very dangerous.

As Casey said alcohol withdrawal is dangerous and needs to be medically monitored. I am not saying they are going to throw you in any type of facility - if that is what you are thinking. I think a lot depends on how much alcohol, how long, please let a doctor, ER or clinic assess you.

I do not know your details so I do not have a lot to go on. Have you ben through this before ?

Please go to the ER or a physcician and explain the situation. Doctors will not judge you so please do not let that be a deterrent to getting help. They will be glad that you are not putting your life in danger by trying to do this cold turkey. And you will most likely recieve medications to relieve the withdrawal symptoms, which will help your stress level IMO .

I hope you will consider this. I have posted some links on how to get started and where to find help.

Also, As Jane Doe said there are medications that can help you with cravings. She has a great story and Angie is fairly new to this too so read the posts and it may help you through this difficult time.

Have you tried to stop before, do you know about types of support out there ?
My suggestion imo - is get through the Physical withdrawal first, the time varies for each person and then when you are safe from the dangers of alcohol withdrawal then tackle the cravings that will most likely hit for the cocaine.
In the meantime, if you get cravings for coke - do not pick up ! I am posting a link to Cocaine Annonymous which has support online and a list of meetings, plus in my other links are other types of meetings and counseling available.

IMO- and in my own experinece that with any type of substance - some type of support is vital to recovery , believe me I tried it every which way I could on my own and it never worked out , in the end it was ( For Me ) a combo of meetings and counseling.

tman- I am pulling for you, it is sooo worth it - if you are sick and tired of being sick and tired then you can have a new life - you have taken the first step, the rest is just keep moving forward : )

Please be safe and keep us posted on how you are doing, if you have questions, need to vent we are here for you. Take care , Carly

Cocaine annonymous
http://www.ca.org/

Below is the link for the Physician, treatment and counseling locator. Just enter your zip code and you are able to see a list of providers in your area based on the zip code you enter .
This is a great tool on this forum, it is super easy to use, totally confidential, and although not all providers may be listed, it is a way to at least get an idea of what is in your area. You can also do a general search on the internet /local phone book.

It may take time to find the right fit for you as far as support. The important thing to remember is that you are the client. If you have tried a particular counselor , doctor or group, do not give up, keep trying until you find what you are looking for. The important thing is to have support that you feel comfortable with.

Treatment locator : Physicians, counselors and treatment facilities..

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/local/

Below is a list of the various support groups that are available and how to find one near you. There is now much more than traditional AA, there are many types of support groups out there.

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/resour...port-links.cfm

Link to medication assisted treatment options... this can be an invaluable tool to help with cravings.

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/treatm...-treatment.cfm

Information for your family ....
Education for your family/loved ones can be vital to their understanding of what you are facing and trying to accomplish.
Below is the link to the information and other resources on the site that may help them.

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/friends-family/

For even more information and resources click on any of the links on the right hand side or at the top of the page.
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2008, 02:56 AM   #5
tman2522

Default my story

my mother is an addict, so from a young age i saw that if you take something youll feel better. my mothers addiction led to my depression before i ever used or drank. she used to steal my allowance from me and when i found alcohol i found happiness. im 20 years old and have been drinking since i was 15. of course as time went on so did the amount i consumed. it used to be a 40 a day then 2, then 3, then a 12 pack liquour and id forget how much by the end of the night. i've cleaned my bank account out multiple times on a binge. im am doing this cold turkey, i had no idea i could have seizures, this frightens me because im epileptic. im looking for AA meetings. i heard NA only gets you better hooks so im stearing clear of that. i had a breakdown today, my ex told me she was ready to move on and i flipped out. i glared at a bottle of seagrams gin for at least 30 minutes. but i never once opened that lid. i knew if i gave in today because of a hard time, a hard time tomorrow will keep me drinking. for the first time in a really long time i feel proud of myself.
Unread 11-28-2008, 03:08 AM   #6
CarlyO

Hi Tman - you still online ? I just saw your reply - I will be right back with a post ..
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 11-28-2008, 03:50 AM   #7
CarlyO

Hi again,
I am sorry about your Gf - but you Never know - maybe she is just weary of your drinking and will have a change of heart as you continue to get your life on track ? Does she misuse alcohol or anything- meaning would she be a trigger?

YES YOU can have seizures and worse stopping cold turkey, do you have a doctor - you must if you take Rx for epilepsy. I am sooo worried about you,esp since you have a history of seizures. You can walk into any ER at any time and they will at least assess you and help you.

You said you have not had a drink since last Friday -that is 7 days - I cannot give out ANY medical advice ... so I will just say I hope you are through the worst of it.

OK back to your original question .... what to do calm yourself down. Why are you walking on eggshells with your Dad? That must make things even more difficult- does he know what you are going through? Is he supportive ?

For me personally , I did do CT many times, out of necessity - not for alcohol , - but other substances. I did a stint with coke but one night felt like I was having a heart attack at 21 years old and just stopped it . Never touched it agian. But I would soon start with other substances, so all I did was switch my substances.
Anyway- I tried to keep my mind occupied, I watched a lot of TV during withdrawal phase- anything to keep me from climbing the walls. I had some over the counter meds in the house to take the edge off but with your medical history I am NOT recommending you do that without talking to a doctor - I am just tellng you what I did.
All of this was before the Internet forums - I wish I had had an outlet back then, it was such a lonely feeling. I knew about AA and Na , I had a counselor.

So I got tired of being alone - I made myself go to meetings, I preferred AA even though that was not my drug of choice, but I found that they were welcoming regardless. I had many "false starts " where I would try it and relapse because I thought I could go back out and somehow it would different- it wasn't - in fact it got worse each time.
I belive what the big book says - about 3 outcomes for us- Jails , Institutions or death - soon I had 2 out of three, I was not looking forward to the latter . So, When I finally committed to recovery - I was in a lot of trouble , legal and otherwise - and had to learn how to live, how to deal with life, because I was clueless.

Eventually, I kept at it and I had fun, I just kept doing what was suggested, sometimes I held on for a minute, an hour at a time. My mantra was I will not
pick up today and soon I got more days,months...etc under my belt.

I hope this helps - I am getting sleepy so I will close now- please keep us posted on how you are. YOU can DO THIS !! Congrats - you should be proud of yurself, and take care - It will get better! : ) Carly
Unread 11-29-2008, 02:52 AM   #8
tman2522

today, like you said it is a week sober, i feel better then ive felt in a long time. i dont feel depressed at all. im not currently taking meds for epilepsy, havent had a seizure since i was 7 or 8 but once an epileptic always an epileptic. im going to my first AA meeting on sunday with my brothers gf's mom. im excited. like i said before i drank and used to cope with depression, ive been clean for 7 days and im happy. the gf and i partied together. since my minds been clear i realized she was another crutch. i dont need any crutches. it feels so good to be happy. its been a while. i appreciate your concern carly. i have no medical insurance and im feeling way better, but i will go to the free clinic for medical advice. thank you so much.
Unread 11-29-2008, 04:43 AM   #9
CarlyO

Hey tman- I am so glad you posted and are feeling better AND that you are going to a meeting, That is great news! It sounds like your mind is clearing and hopefully the worst of the physical withdrawals are behind you.
You may want to consider going to the free clinic about your depression, I know I dealt with depression since I was 14 and like you I self-medicated to deal with it. IMO if you can get help for it and continue moving forward with recovery you will feel so much better-physically and mentally , you have your whole life ahead of you, you can do this - it takes some effort but it is so worth it : ) Good luck at your meeting - let us know how it is going and take care , Carly
Unread 11-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #10
CASEY

tman2522,

CONGRADULATION'S, on your one week. Just remember it can be one day at a time or even one minute at a time.
Keeping yourself busy is a very good way. I am glad you are going to talk to someone in the Medical field.
You will find when you are sober , that the people you use to hang with may not be around. Do not take it personally, with you staying straight make's them feel wierd.
They will feel doing anything around you , that you are judging them even when you are not.
It is hard , but you will find , that you will lose some people who you thought were your friend's, there is a big difference between friend's and drinking buddie's!
Good Luck at the Meeting.
And just one last note; when you do see a Medical Professional , they cannot commit you anywhere, you are over 18yrs. old, you are an adult. That decision will be your's.
They will just try to help you!

It seem's like you are on the right path.
CONGRADULATION'S AGAIN!
Remember someone is alway's on this site at all different time's, so even if you just want to vent - Do it!! We never judge, that is one of the best thing's about this site,
we don't know each other, but we all have our own past's and maybe something we went through can help you.
Stay Strong!
Casey
Unread 11-30-2008, 03:59 PM   #11
CarlyO

Hi tman,
Hope everything is going well, hang in there ! Carly
Unread 12-01-2008, 11:46 PM   #12
tman2522

my meeting went great last night. i met a few people. i was surprised how many people there were close to my age lol. today is day 10. tomorrow will be 11. i feel great. im going to my next meeting possibly wed night, that depends on what time i get back from a job interview.
Unread 12-02-2008, 09:34 PM   #13
CarlyO

Hey tman, Good to "hear" from you and that things are going well ! Yes, You will most likely meet many people close to your age at meetings, you can learn from the ole' vets as well, just stick with positive people and you will do fine. Job Interview eh? Good luck with it and congrats on almost 11 days !!
Hang in there - you can DO this, you will be glad you did, take care, Carly
Unread 12-04-2008, 02:37 PM   #14
tman2522

day 13 and i got the job!
Unread 12-04-2008, 03:55 PM   #15
CASEY

tman2522,

Congradulation's on the new job, in these time's you are very lucky to find someone hiring.

Casey
Unread 12-04-2008, 11:00 PM   #16
CarlyO

Hey tman - this is great news! Congrats to you on both the job and and day 13 !! I hope you are still feeling good - did you make a meeting last night ?

Hang in there - it looks like things are already getting better ! Carly
Unread 12-07-2008, 05:28 PM   #17
tman2522

Default day 16

the job fell through, long dramatic story lol. but i have another interview tomorrow. im going to my 2nd meeting tonight. i had a real bad time last night wanting to drink, shaking, and an anxiety attack but i didnt drink.
Unread 12-07-2008, 05:37 PM   #18
CarlyO

Hey tman, I was just thinking about you. Sorry about the job interview, but maybe it was not the right gig for you anyway ? What did you do when you started having cravings? Doyou have someone to call or get to a meeting? I am glad you did not pick up.

You know you can come here and post or if you need help asap - go to the other side, the Bupe/opiate side ( yes it is a different substance ) but when you need help fast - there are more people online, usually 24/7 - they would know how to talk you through your cravings.
Ideally you will soon have a good support network for times like last night. Cravings happens, I still think you are doing great and sooo glad to know you are catching a meeting.
Hang in there and congrats on working through your cravings ! Take care, Carly
Unread 12-07-2008, 05:59 PM   #19
tman2522

my band had a show. i've played a show every weekend since i quit drinking and seeing all the people drinking has never bothered me before last night. what i did was i got myself a can of soda and just held it all night, like a can of beer ya know. it worked to an extent. i talked to all my beligerent friends, they all told me they were all proud of me for not drinking, and how they dont want to see me drink, and how im better than alcohol. that shit helped.
Unread 12-07-2008, 06:12 PM   #20
CarlyO

Hey tmann ,
Good for you and even better that your friends understand, they need their band mate healthy and ready to play ; ) Cool that you have a band what kind of music ?
Unread 12-09-2008, 03:26 PM   #21
tman2522

im in two bands, one punk band and a metal band. some people at the meeting i went to told me i should drop the bands to commit to sobriety, when i explained how my friends have my back they seemed skeptical. i dont really think AA is the route for me.
Unread 12-09-2008, 03:58 PM   #22
CarlyO

Hi tman,

I have known plenty of people to go to AA and be in bands, maybe they were just concerned if you play in bars - can you resist being around alcohol - at least until you get time under your belt.
hey and look at all of the straight-edge punk bands out there ! Henry Rollins is still and Ian from Minor Threat. Oh and Gawd Look at Metallica and other bands - half do not drink now, half of Chilli peppers .. etc...

Hang in there - Carly
Unread 12-12-2008, 06:46 PM   #23
tman2522

today is three weeks sober! i start a new job tomorrow.
Unread 12-15-2008, 12:02 AM   #24
CarlyO

Hey tman- Congrats on 3 weeks and the New Job !! You should be very proud of yourself.

Take Care, Carly
Unread 12-15-2008, 10:05 AM   #25
JaneDoe

tman2522. Three weeks is huge. Way to go! And a new job too. Good work.

It's almost a year for me. You CAN DO THIS! Don't you think it gets easier as time goes on?

I'm proud of you.

JaneDoe
Unread 12-15-2008, 11:26 PM   #26
tman2522

thanks you guys, it means alot. i do think its been easier. i dont really think about drinking, or really want to drink, todays 24 days, tomorrow will be 25. im stoked for 25 days sober.
Unread 12-17-2008, 09:26 AM   #27
JaneDoe

Way to go!! You're getting the HUGE one-month mark. After that, it's like you don't want to go back and start counting days again, like I did a million times....

Keep letting us know what's going on.

JaneDoe
Unread 12-25-2008, 06:19 PM   #28
tman2522

Default merry christmas

today is 34 days clean. im so proud of myself. its also my first sober christmas since i was 15.
Unread 12-26-2008, 12:50 PM   #29
SLynn

tman2522

It's always exciting to see a story like yours. It gives others hope, which is so important.

Merry Christmas!

SLynn
SLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 06:30 PM   #30
JaneDoe

tman2522, Nice going. Hope you had a happy christmas and here's to a sober new year.

JaneDoe
Unread 12-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #31
JaneDoe

Hi Stacey, I'll never forget your help. Much peace and love for you in 2009.

Gratefully,
JaneDoe
Unread 12-31-2008, 12:08 AM   #32
CarlyO

HI tman, Congrats to you on your Holiday without alcohol/substances !! I hope the new job and your band is going well, Have a Happy New Year !! Carly
Unread 12-31-2008, 12:04 PM   #33
mr. cubby

i'm new to this. may 7 of this year i fell down some stairs of course i was very intoxicated. have been drinking heavily for years. as a result i cracked my head open and needed surgery. before i go further i am just looking for another ave. of support along w/ mtgs. family and the true friends i have. (only counted on one hand and not using all my fingers) long road to recovery from surgery and my addiction. i in all honesty am stubborn and have fallen. but have been sober now for 5 wks. and 3 days. today i'm avoiding going out to avoid temptation. am enjoying the company of my long time wife who much to my surprise at first stuck with me thru this and has put up with my b.s. while iwas being a donkey. she's been putting the perverbial boot up when i'm starting to slip.
mr. cubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2008, 10:56 PM   #34
Geo 82706

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman2522 View Post
im struggling with alcoholism and cocaine addiction. ive been sober since friday. im staying with my father, walking on egg shells. ive been having bad day after bad day, im so stressed. is there anything you did to calm yourself down? im open to any suggestions. thanks.
might want to think about joining a gym,it's a healthy environment which has little or nothing to do with living the lifestyle we had before and it's a great way to relieve stress and anxiety on a daily basis..
Geo 82706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2009, 12:05 AM   #35
mrsr

[QUOTE=tman2522;320092]my mother is an addict, so from a young age i saw that if you take something youll feel better. my mothers addiction led to my depression before i ever used or drank. she used to steal my allowance from me and when i found alcohol i found happiness. im 20 years old and have been drinking since i was 15.

Tman, I should mention that my mom was a cocaine addict -- I realized it when I was 9. I am sure it started earlier. But when I was 10 and my wisdom tooth was coming in and we were Christmas shopping with a friend of hers and I was crying because of the pain. And my mom and her friend tried to convince me to let them put cocaine on my gums to numb the pain. I refused. They insisted and told me it was like Novicaine that the dentist would give me. I still refused. I was hurt that my mom would offer her 10 yr old cocaine.
My mom has been clean for about 15 years now.
When I was 10, she took up with a major coke dealer and life started getting a lot worse when I was 12 and the dealer moved in. The next 3 yrs of my life were hell. He would try to get in bed with me, so I would have friends sleep over whenever possible and then we would go out and drink beer and stay out really late I would feel like a normal teen without the home problems and I would have a friend in bed so he couldn't get in bed with me.
Thanks for letting me vent.
mrsr is offline   Reply With Quote