Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 12-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
yoyo71

Default yoyo71 - new here and looking for meetings

I am new to this and am looking for a sponsor in the perryville md area. any suggestions?
yoyo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2008, 04:53 PM   #2
CarlyO

Default Welcome YoYo 71

Hi Yoyo71

Welcome to the forum, I will be back in a few to post some more - First what type of sponsor are you looking for ?
Do you have a Support group ( like AA, or Al Anon or Rational Recovery etc.. ) that you attend? I can give you some links to help you find some in your area.

Normally you attend the support meetings and then when you see someone you like what they have to say/offer you ask them. Also, there is usually a list of temporary sponsors as well at most support groups.

A little more info would be helpful. Thanks and glad you are here, Carly
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
SLynn

Hi Yoyo

As Carly said, more info would be helpful. I hope you tell us some more.

In the meantime, here is the link to AA meetings in the Perryville area.

http://www.aa.org/lang/en/meeting_fi...fm?origpage=29

If that doesn't work for some reason check out www.aa.org and click the area for 'find a meeting'. This is where you can inquire about a sponsor.

I hope this helps.

SLynn
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
SLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
SLynn

I just tested the link I gave you for Perryville and for some reason it doesn't work. Please try it on your own.

SLynn
Unread 12-04-2008, 09:03 AM   #5
yoyo71

i am an alcoholic who just got out of a treatment facility. I have the desire to stay sober but find it difficult. i thought that if i could find a spponsor in my area perhaps i could use the time where the drink is calling me that i could work on my steps. i have done step work before but obviously it did not work at that time. it was more than likely because i wasnt fully committed to staying sober.
Unread 12-04-2008, 09:06 AM   #6
yoyo71

i am an alcoholic with the desire to stop drinking. i have been to meetings in this area but it is difficult to get to them at times due to daycare. i have a 5 and three year old. I am working on a plan now, and hope to have reliable care for them starting next week.
Unread 12-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #7
yoyo71

thank you very much. i appreciate anything that will help me
Unread 12-04-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
AlcAnswersAdmin

yoyo71, here's a link to Maryland AA Meeting Contacts:

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/aamd/qt/blaamd.htm

Here's a link to a listing of online AA Meetings:

http://www.aa-intergroup.org/directo...l_english.html

Best wishes.
AlcAnswersAdmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #9
SLynn

Yoyo71

Did you try any of the links and were they helpful? I'm guessing the rehab facility didn't make sure you were set up with any type of support after your stay?

Sounds like you have two beautiful children who deserve your sobriety and what you've accomplished so far is admirable. Keep up the good work and keep looking for support in your area.

I hope you continue to share with us.

SLynn
Unread 12-04-2008, 12:56 PM   #10
yoyo71

i just signed up, thank you very much and have a blessed day
Unread 12-04-2008, 12:57 PM   #11
yoyo71

i just looked at the online info. hopefully it will help in my recovery
Unread 12-04-2008, 03:58 PM   #12
CASEY

yoyo71,

If you look online, or in the phone book, there are alot of place's that have meeting's at different time's.
I was surprised when I was in the Carribean and I saw a sign for one. They are everywhere!!

I Wish You Luck,
Casey
CASEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2008, 10:57 PM   #13
CarlyO

Default Hi YO YO

Hi YOYO,
How are you doing today ?
Sorry I never got back to you yesterday, I have a 5 year old of my own with tons Of homework lately ! SLynn, gave you a link to try and I will post a link to the matching system - it has counselors, physicians for your area - who may be able to refer you . Also I posted the link for AA , there is a number you can call any time of the day/night and they will hook you up with a meeting list.

As Slynn mentioned normally a tx center will give you a plan when you leave - did they have any suggestions ? I applaud you for taking the initiative to find help.
How do you feel about AA ? It can take a while to get into the groove so to speak but usually all you have to do is ask for help and most are more than willing to help you out.
Have you tried to stop drinking before ? I know having kids can make it a bit more complicated to make meetings but if this is something you want, imo , AA and other support groups can give you a great foundation and the support you need to learn to live without alcohol.

Do you have friends and/or family nearby who could help you out with childcare so you can go to more meetings?

My suggestion would be to read the posts here, and the educational info,
if you need any help please feel free to post. I hope you are doing well, hang in there and take care, Carly : )

try the AA website for more info and there are even meetings online- try this link ...
http://alcoholism.about.com/gi/dynam...es%2Fchat.html

if it does not work just google it , I found quite a few.

AA website ....
http://www.aa.org/lang/en/meeting_fi...fm?origpage=29
Treatment/Physician locator- just enter your zipcode and start calling - someone should be able to help you.
http://www.alcoholanswers.org/local/

Options for treatment( including medication asisted therapy) and other helpful info....
http://www.alcoholanswers.org/treatm...ns/default.cfm
Unread 12-05-2008, 09:46 AM   #14
yoyo71

I have family however they are not close by. i did attempt to sign up for a online program but got a message that it was full. i would like to check in to the medication avenue for it as well so thank you very much for getting that site for me. i am definitely going to try some other links for the online meetings as well. as i said, i am new to this area and i am trying to build up a network. it is hard for a couple reasons, one trust issues, time, energy, and i am an alcoholic. mix those all together and i come up with excuses. i am working on it. but it is tough. thanks so much for talking to me. really need it!
Unread 12-05-2008, 12:37 PM   #15
CarlyO

Hi YoYo,
Please rest assured that this is an annonymous site, so feel free to talk , vent ask questions etc.. As far as building trust in Real Life ,meetings that can take time, checking out different groups to see what is a good fit for you. Have you considered one on one counseling ?

I do not want to bombard you with questions, just wanted to let you know that we are here for you. I hope you are having a great day : ) hang in there and take care, carly

This is one of Many of JaneDoe's threads - I am sure she will be by soon to offer support, she has been doing great and has reported success with medication assisted treatment.

http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=18957