Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 10-14-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
WillingOne

Default I start today

I think that's going to be my motto for a while.

Drinking has wasted years of my life, my money, and my health, and I want it to stop.

Thankfully it's not a "rock bottom" situation for me. I guess it's been alcoholism in moderation. But it still needs to stop.

I've been drinking nightly for years and have stopped for weeks or even a year at a time, but it's never stuck. I don't think I've ever thought so hard about wanting to stop as I am now.
WillingOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
CASEY

WillingOne,

Let me be first welcome you to this site. It is very helpful! You will meet alot of people who are either in your situation or have a loved one who is.
You have made the HARDEST STEP, YOU SAID YOU NEED HELP! CONGRADULATION'S'!!!
I am not saying it is easy , but it is well worth it , you will find out what you have been missiing in life.
I don't want to scare you, so I just wanted to write and say CONGRADULATION'S!
The first step is the hardest.
Alot of people think they are weak by admitting that something has control over them & that they don't want anymore, it is COMPLETLY the OPPOSITE, you show your STRENGTH in realizing you want more.
Feel free to alway's come here , even if it is just to vent, that is what this is here for and you will learn thing's.
We are all stranger's so it make's it so much easier to talk, we never judge-we just listen and you can do what you want with what we all tell you.

AGAIN CONGRADULATION'S , THE FIRST STEP IS THE HARDEST!! Remember sometime's it is not just one day at a time it is one minute , one second.
Looking forward to hearing more from you.
Casey

Last edited by CASEY; 10-14-2008 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: wrong letter
CASEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
JaneDoe

WillingOne, I've not drank in 10 months. Here's my story.

http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=18957

I used the vivitrol shot for the first three along with counseling. I learned a lot about myself and learned how to deal with stuff without drinking. If you start veering off track, think about the shot. Or going to meetings or a counselor or talking to family/friends or just come here and post.

If I did it, you can too.

Congratulations.

JaneDoe
JaneDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
CASEY

WillingOne,

We have not heard from you in awhile, I was just wondering if everything is alright??
Let us know, this is a great sounding board and we never judge!
Take Care,
Casey
Unread 10-18-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
CarlyO

Hi WillingOne,

Belated Welcome to the forum. Congats on your first step. Have you thought about how you will handle the withdrawal process. Please seek medical attention as it can be very dangerous to just stop on your own. No medical professional will judge you, they will be glad that you are taking responsibility for your health.

Yes, You are lucky that you have not hit Rock Bottom, please do not wait for that to happen, the great thing is you do not have to and that you recognized what alcohol is doing to your life.

I provided some links that may help you. please read as much as you can, this site has a wealth of information and links as well as a great group of people who are so supportive.

I hope you can stop by and let us know how you are doing. Hang in there, you can do this! take care, Carly

Withdrawal from alcohol...

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/alcoho...withdrawal.cfm
Treatment locator : Physicians, counselors and treatment facilities..

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/local/

Below is a list of the various support groups that are available and how to find one near you. There is now much more than traditional AA, there are many types of support groups out there.

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/resour...port-links.cfm

Link to medication assisted treatment options... this can be an invaluable tool to help with cravings.

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/treatm...-treatment.cfm

Information for your family ....
Education for your family/loved ones can be vital to their understanding of what you are facing and trying to accomplish.
Below is the link to the information and other resources on the site that may help them.

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/friends-family/

For even more information and resources click on any of the links on the right hand side or at the top of the page.
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2008, 07:51 PM   #6
WillingOne

Default So far so good

Thanks for the words of support.

I had a headache for 4 days, but that's going away now. Work's been too crazy for me to even think about drinking, so hopefully that will help to break the cycle.
WillingOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2008, 08:56 PM   #7
CarlyO

Hi WillingOne,

Glad everything is going well. Please look into some type of support for yourself, work is a distraction but sometimes having support gives us a chance at changing our lives. Also, once you stop the alcohol - you may need something to fill that void that alcohol once filled. Just something to consider . Take care, Carly
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2008, 10:21 AM   #8
CASEY

WillingOne,

Keeping busy is very important , it keep's your mind on something else and that way you don't obsess over drinking. You should still look into seeing someone who you can talk to openly and maybe you will find out why? you are drinking. Alot of people have it in their Family, so you could be very funerable to alcohol.
I found for me dealing with family member's with the problem, I was more comfortable with a one on one, nothing against AA or Al-Anon. I just live in a very small community and they love to talk.
It was not easy finding my Therapist , I probally went through 4, before I found one that fit me. That is what you have to do, if you don't like them or you just feel your not a fit, then find another - it is a very important relationship and you need to be able to say anything and know it can never be thrown back in your face.
Kind of like this site, none of us judge you , we are here to listen and hopefully give you some good advice.
Good Luck!
Casey
Unread 10-22-2008, 11:57 AM   #9
JaneDoe

WllingOne, still not drinking? I hope that your headache is gone and you're keeping busy. Like CASEY says, keeping busy is important. Keeps those thoughts away.

Check in when you are able to.

JaneDoe
JaneDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 02:13 PM   #10
CASEY

WillingOne,

Don't be nervous about writing to this site , even if you just want to vent!!
We all have experience one way or another, so in no way are you alone.
Let us know how you are doing? When you get a chance.
Casey