Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 02-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
worriedfriend

Unhappy need advice pronto!

A really good friend of mine recently told me that he's been using cocaine for the past 3 days. I'm not exactly sure how long ago, but in the past he went to rehab for heroin and cocaine. Again, I'm not sure how long he was sober. I've never been around anyone with a drug addiction, so I have no idea what to do. I was totally shocked when he told me. I want to be there for him, but it has REALLY been affecting me as well. I suffer from panic atacks, anxiety, insomnia and depression. Ever since he told me, that's all I can think about it. I'm so worried about him! He's such an incredable person. He's a single dad of 3 wonderful kids. He's got tons on his plate. I need to know what to do. He said the reason why he uses cocaine is because he hates himself. Do I bring up and ask him if he's used since the last time he told me? Or is that nagging? Do I just wait for him to tell me again? I don't have any idea what to do. Please HELP!
worriedfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi worriedfriend, welcome. That's a tough position to be in because unless the person wants to get help, there's really nothing anyone can do.

What do you think of this. Ask him if he needs your help in finding treatment. If he's only been using cocaine for 3 days, it would be better, in my opinion, not to wait until he says something. You could say you're worried sick about him and you're there to support him, not nag him, but you don't want to see him get mired more into the addiction. Offer to work with him or, if you do have the time, you'll look for places he can get help.

One thing that may be helpful is finding him a therapist rather than a treatment center. He's said that he hates himself, so finding a good therapist can help him work through whatever reasons he has for hating himself, and he would probably less likely to self medicate with cocaine.

Does that make sense - do you think he'd be receptive?

One thing I'd like for you to read is this link. It explains what addiction is.
http://www.naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm?ID=15

These next links are from the HBO Addiction Series that are really good:
"What is Addiction?"
http://www.naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm?ID=15

"The Science of Relapse"
http://www.hbo.com/addiction/thefilm...segment_3.html

Knowledge is power; and the more you know about addiction, the more empowered you can be.

Please let us know if that's helpful and how YOU are doing. You really have to take care of yourself.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 01:05 AM   #3
worriedfriend

NancyB,
Thank you so much for your advice and the links! I will try all of the advice you've given me. It just REALLY worries me, especially since he's been an addict before. I'm so afraid that he'll get hooked again. All I can do is try to help and be there for him as much as possible. I will definitely keep you updated! Thank you sooooo much!!
worriedfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

You're very welcome worriedfriend. I really hope that he wants to get help now before it spirals out of control.

Also remember that you have to healthy to be able to help him. So you make sure you do something nice for yourself and take care of yourself.

Keep me updated and let me know if you have any questions.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote