Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 10-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
missunderstood

Post Hello All

I am addicted to opiates I'm over here because I have a dear friend who has a crack problem. I was wondering if they have found something to help patients come off crack? or help with cravings?
missunderstood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
CarlyO

Hi Missunderstood,

Sorry it took so long to respond, I was having internet connection issues. Anyway, welcome and I think it is very kind of you to try to help your friend out.

Has your friend ever tried CA or NA ? If so what happened and do they want help ?
I suggest reading the threads from others, and check out the links - these I got from Nancy : )

Study/Link .....
In an effort to understand relapse as a part of the addiction disorder, researchers at the University of Pennsylvania enlisted addicts to participate in a study investigating the brain's response to drug cues. One subject, William, is addicted to crack, and describes his relapses as "battles" he can't win. Anna Rose Childress, a neuroscientist, explains that William's brain is being "tricked" by "go" impulses in the brain, and that his urges are triggered by environmental and sensory images. Technology now allows doctors to examine the brain in order to "fix what's broken." Combining medication with behavioral treatment, the brain can now be "reset" to help addicts like William keep addictions under control.

http://www.hbo.com/addiction/thefilm...segment_3.html
__________________________________________________ ________________________
If you're interested in trying medication-assisted treatment, there are a bunch of clinical trials going on for different medications. You can check out:
http://clinicaltrials.gov/

Let us know what you think and would your friend be interested in posting ?

Congrats to YOU for getting help with opiates !

Take care, Carly : )
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote