Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 05-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
jimash55

Default Prescription Stigma

I get my Buprenorphine every month at the D.C. Veterans Medical Center. I am having a issue at the way the Dr. writes my script....on the vial it says ''Disolve one tablet under the tongue twice a day for opioid dependence''. Last week a family member saw my medication bottle and started asking questions about why I would take this medication...to make a long story short she is against this type of treatment & no explanation would change her mind...I feel it is wrong of the V.A. to use this type of language on script. I feel it violates my annoymity(sp.). This may seem a trivial matter but it is a issue for me. Yes, I could always keep my medication hidden but that is not my point....what is everyone else's thoughts on this matter? I intend to bring this to the attention of the proper officials at the hospital. Thats about it for now...have a good day & stay strong!
jimash55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
OhioMike

It's not trivial and I agree with you. I would mention it to them and explain it to the doctor.
Unread 05-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #3
gotoffmdone

There is no good reason I can think of for a Dr with an "X" number to put that type of language/info on any label.

The Drs I know just put take as directed, or just put on the lable how many tablets to take and how.

I have never had a script for an antibiotic that says take one tablet 3 times a day until gone for a certain kind of infection.

Do you see the script and is it the Dr putting that on your label or the pharmacist taking the liberty to do so. I have run across a lot of pharmacist who act as if they are Drs.

You and the Dr know why you are taking the medication and that should be sufficient. No need to have the label advertise you condition.

I had an ER Dr prescribe me Methadone and he put on the script to take it then see the clinic. The pharmacist contacted the ER and told him he had to write it for pain. I took the script back to the ER and picked up the same exact script except the Dr just put take as directed. Those directions always suffice. The most imporatnt thing is how may mgs to take and how to take it. The reason behind why you are taking a drug like Sub is no one's business and your label should reflect that.

I agree with Mike and mention it to the Dr and don't let him tell you that info is mandatory. And make sure its the Dr and not the pharmaicist who's putting the words opioid dependence on the label. It could be worse. It could say take it for addiction to opiates. Dependence can be a failrly benign word. Addiction tells even more of a story.

But if you think it is a big deal it is.

wayne
gotoffmdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
deanna

I agree also. there is no reason for that. Ive never heard of it before. The only person who needs to know what a medication is for is the person taking it, and its sort of a breach in confidentiality when its written on the bottle the dignosis that the medications for dont you think?
Unread 05-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
OneDayataTime

While a gree with everyone's thoughts on the Doctor's Wordage. Are you going a bit trivial about this ? When we all do something like get addicted to opiates there is a cost involved with getting off of them. If the Pharmacy guy gives me the ey because he thinks I am an addict, I feel pity for him because of his shallow/feeble mindset. Same goes for your Family member, do they not know the cost involved in being addicted and here and now you have taken such a huge step in trying to get yourself clean. They should be Proud of that rather than Hide it. I just feel that if you carry on like this as if to hide your addiction then when you do get clean and sober you still have those mental issues that you have not dealt with. Why be ashamed of being addicted to Opiates ? I am not saying go outside and scream at the top of you lungs that you are a junkie, but come on be serious about this and put the trivial stuff behind you. If I am a bit harsh I am sorry, but this is your life, this is serious stuff. Remember that You will always run into People like this Doctor, or that Pharmacist, people are too judgmental. So learn to live with it, or you will have problems with your addiction down the road. Hope you keep up the good work, be Proud of yourself for taking charge of yourself !
OneDayataTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
OhioMike

Oneday ……… I can only speak for myself, but, it is not about being ashamed of anything, for me it is about trying to do my little part anytime I have the opportunity to break the stigma associated with this disease, as it is harmful to those seeking treatment and healing. I agree with you, there is nothing to be ashamed of when it comes to one admitting they are battling addiction. In fact just the opposite, it should be celebrated and seen within our hearts as a good thing.

Mike

Last edited by OhioMike; 05-27-2012 at 01:49 PM..
OhioMike is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to OhioMike For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-28-2012), Thank You (06-01-2012)
Unread 05-28-2012, 02:04 AM   #7
gotoffmdone

It can be the family members or others who trivialize such a "condition" and that is precisely why I don't want them to know. I did not want anyone knowing I could not stop taking pills, but going away for 28 days to a rehab is a hard one to explain. Addicted or crazy are about the only choices.

The entire purpose behind Sub(a Class III drug), as I see it, is to keep such treatment private. It should be your choice if you divulge your dependence/addiction.

Those same people that may now have a tendency to judge you for what the label revealed about you would not want you reading on a rx bottle of theirs that indicated taking a certain antibiotic x times per day until the STD is gone.

wayne

Last edited by gotoffmdone; 05-28-2012 at 02:08 AM..
gotoffmdone is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to gotoffmdone For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-28-2012)
Unread 06-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
jimash55

Default Rx Stigma

Buprenorphine Tx. is my business and I dont feel that I am being petty or taking this matter too far. I have fought tooth and nail to bring insight to the proper court official, legislators, judges and whoever would listen to me that treatment is better than incarceration. The Veterans Hospital that treats me has developed a new treatment protocol after I gave them material I received from naabt. Yes, I will pursue this matter to the best of my ability. To those of you that dont know me I stayed in contact and posted on this site while incarcerated...so I am not ashamed of who I am or where my past has taken me. I believe that those of us that this medication has helped needs to pass the message that it works so that the ones out there still struggling just may listen and seek the help they need. I will keep everyone posted. Stay strong!
jimash55 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to jimash55 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (06-01-2012)