Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 11-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
concerned1966

Default Multiple medications

Can a opiate addict be on Subutex, Klonopin, muscle relaxer and Gabipentain all at the same time? I realize i have some misspelling. I'm very concerned with some of my loved ones and trying to understand more so that i might be able to help them.
concerned1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi concerned1966, do you know if they're all prescribed and by the same doctor? It really depends on the dosage of each one, but on the surface it looks like it could be dangerous. Both buprenorphine (active ingredient in Subutex) and Klonopin are respiratory depressants. With the muscle relaxer - the heart is a muscle so people have to be careful with that - and when combined with the other two.

Here's some information on Gabapentin:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000940/
From the special precautions section:
"- you should know that this medication may make you drowsy or dizzy, may slow your thinking, and may cause loss of coordination. Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how this medication affects you, and your doctor agrees that it is safe for you to begin these activities."

What I highly suggest you do, is call a pharmacist to see if s/he can give you an idea of the interactions. Those medications are nothing to fool around with and it would be best to get a professional opinion on the interactions and how much is too much, etc.

I hope this is helpful.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote