Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 06-17-2006, 11:39 PM   #1
TIM

Default About FENTANYL and recent OVERDOSES

Because of the recent dangers of fentanyl laced heroin, in some parts of the country, I put together an informational sheet explaining what fentanyl is and some recent news stories that out line the recent danger.---Tim

http://naabt.org/documents/fentanyl.pdf

U.S. Department of Justice
National Drug Intelligence Center
Fentanyl: Situation Report
Date: June 5, 2006:
http://www.usdoj.gov/ndic/srs/20469/index.htm

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 21, 2006
29 Arrested in Chicago; Ties to Fentanyl-Laced Heroin Suspected
http://www.dea.gov/pubs/pressrel/pr062106a.html

Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. Voluntary Disclosure: Timothy L. is the President of The National Alliance of Advocates for Buprenorphine treatment. (NAABT.org) The views and opinions of Timothy L., or any poster, are not necessarily the views of AddictionSurvivors.org. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider Any information you read here should only serve to inspire you to investigate further with credible, verifiable referenced sources or your doctor.
Unread 06-19-2006, 11:16 AM   #2
eddy

new article:

Bad heroin cited as 3d man dies, 2 more fall illDozens have been stricken in Camden County since Friday.
By Kera Ritter -- Inquirer Staff Writer

A third man was found dead and two more people were hospitalized yesterday in Camden County as a tainted batch of heroin continues to sicken and kill drug users across the area.

Pennsauken police found the 31-year-old man dead at the Riviera Motor Inn on Route 130 about 12:25 p.m. A heroin bag stamped Chemistry and crack cocaine were found in the room, according to Bill Shralow, spokesman for the Camden County Prosecutor's Office.

Authorities did not release the man's name because his family had not been notified. An autopsy is pending.

At least 41 people in Camden County have been hospitalized since Friday after using heroin, including the two who fell ill yesterday. A Gloucester Township man was found dead Friday night, and a Gloucester City man was found dead Saturday.

This is the second time this year that dozens of drug users have been sickened after using heroin that authorities believe was laced with fentanyl, a legal painkiller that can be fatal in large doses.

The drug combination has caused more than 100 deaths nationwide, including about a dozen in Philadelphia, South Jersey and Delaware in April. Officials in Chester County have said they suspect three people died from the drug earlier this month.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Unread 06-19-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
eddy

more articles see

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&q=...ch&sa=N&tab=wn
Unread 06-19-2006, 12:28 PM   #4
spar7an117

Fentanyl is a completely synthetic non-opioid derivative medication that is considered a "super agonist". Because it is used to treat mod-severe to severe pain it is most often used a a pain threshold increaser (patch) or as a breakthru severe pain treatment (trans-mucosal...ie lolly-pop). Fent is dosed in micrograms where 100 ug or 1/10 of 1mg would treat the most severe of pain.

Fent is also the only medication that can displace bupe off the receptor which is important when a patient on bupe needs emergency analgesia.

Fent has the highest addictive % rate (over 1200%) but because the mentiones are limited compared to other readily available narcotics it barely makes the list. This drug is the choice of healthcare providers (doctors, nurses) due to the ease of availabiliity in the healthcare and hospital settings.

Fent was also the cause of over 300 dealths in Russia during the terrorist standoff in the school some years back. They used Fent gas to put the inhabitants to sleep to have a less lethal effect than storming the room. That is until someone did not realize the microgram dosing needed and used miligram calculations. Everyone's heart eventually stopped and they drifted off into the next life in a high narcotic haze.

Fentanyl has a 4-6 hour effective dose range unless used in a transdermal patch which is calculated for 72 hours. Sufantenyl is within the same family but has a longer effective analgesic range of 8-10 hours. Fent is very serious and can easily killl opioid tolerant patients. The fact that fent has been used to lace heroin is scary. Dealers are using less heroin (to stretch out their supply) and lacing with a more powerful drug than the heroin itself.
Unread 06-21-2006, 02:03 AM   #5
beginagain

Here's a story that I have actually been embarrased to share. But in light of putting some more emphasis on this problem I will share with you what happened to me early this year before I started Sub treatment.

As many of you can probably relate toward the end of my relapse I became desperate to stop using and regain control. I knew after 11 years of recvoery that this was not where I wished to be. I was controlled by an amber bottle of pills and did ridiculous things that I am painfully ashamed of in order to obtain more and more of them.

Anyway - I'd done the cold turkey detox, the medication assisted detox with supplements, vitamins, valium and clonidine and every other out patient method I could find. I began to hear about a product alot of people were supposedly using successfully to help get off opiates.

The product was supposedly "herbal" and "natural". But to make a long story short many people including myself became hopelessly addicted to this product. It became a very expensive habit. The product was shipped from Canada and a couple of months into this it became apparent that something was fishy.

I ended up doing a cold turkey detox from this product in January of this year. I missed an entire week of work and was sicker than I ever remember being in my life. I even had electrical charges that were very painful in my arms and dizzy zapping sensations in my head constantly. It was difficult to drive, I couldn't eat, I could barely care for myself - much less my kids.

Lots of other people were affected by this at the same time. We found each other through a message board similar to this one. The company producing the product would not be honest with us about what was in it. Truthfully I was terrified I had done some kind of permanent damage to my body with a product that was supposed to help me get off opiates...and they wouldn't even be honest about it so that we could get treatment. In the end I went back to pills because the misery of being that sick and incapacitated was impossible to deal with. I have a executive level professional job, two kids....I can't lay down and die. I was too sick to get out of bed some days. From the pils I jumped to Sub in March and I feel like it has given me time to stop the insanity.

But eventually someone got the stuff tested at an independent lab and it apparently had Fentanyl in it. The product was a nose drop which was absorbed rapidly and in a different manner than something ingested or even injected. I was shocked first I suppose - then it terrified me - I have no idea to this day how much Fentanyl they were putting in this stuff. How hard would it have been to OD? What if someone had a reaction or was allergic to the unlisted ingredients. Then I got angry and took action. These people were NOT helping someone with an addiction - they were preying on them and making loads of money in the process. They started charging $140 per bottle plus shipping and were raking in thousands of dollars a week just from the people I know who used it.

Very frighteneing stuff. I think these people are now shut down. I certainly hope so for the safety of others. But when I read this story about herion being cut with Fent it sent shivers up my spine. I have worked in healthcare almost all my adult life and Fent is a huge problem for those med/surg staff and doctors who have access and a predisposition for addiction. Have actually seen one anesthesiologist have to be revived on the OR floor because he swiped his finger accross the top of the bottle and then put the Fent in his mouth. Instant unconsciousness. This is a very powerful and frightening drug when used in the wrong way by the wrong people.

Just wanted to share that. I have heard of Fent ending up in all kinds of places over the last few months so I thought I'd share my experience.
Unread 06-21-2006, 02:17 AM   #6
SomeDayBFree

Begin ~

I clearly recall reading about this and following a few threads on another forum. It seemed that there were a couple of people touting the supposed benefits of this stuff abbreviated with the letters "NC". Very dangerous indeed.

There has been quite a bit of speculation about what was really in that stuff. Just curious - is it a fact that it was fentanyl? Was actual formal lab testing done? I know there were a couple of posters who said they were going to have it tested, but to be honest, testing can be quite expensive and I'm not sure that anyone actually did follow through. Makes sense though.... Scary!

I'm also curious about the availability of this chemical. Is it cheap and/or easy to obtain? I had not known it to be common place on the streets, although being in the medical field myself, I am well aware that it is readily available "on the job" so to speak, to those who can gain relatively easy access.

SomeDayBFree
Unread 06-21-2006, 12:59 PM   #7
Caroline

Joint Effort Announced To Track Use Of Fentanyl-Laced Heroin.
From Philadelphia, the AP (6/20, Loviglio) reports city state and federal
law enforcement and public health officials on Tuesday "announced a
joint regional effort to track the ongoing deaths attributed to
painkiller-laced heroin and identify the suppliers of the drug. The
fentanyl-laced heroin has caused about 70 deaths in the Philadelphia
metropolitan region and more than 200 overdoses nationwide since it
was first spotted in April," according to U.S. Attorney Patrick J.
Meehan. "To determine the full scope of the problem in the region,
officials representing law enforcement in Philadelphia and Camden
County, N.J.; the federal Drug Enforcement Agency and the FBI; and
Philadelphia's behavioral health department said they would share
information and coordinate their investigations into the spike of
fentanyl-related deaths since the spring."

The Gloucester County (NJ)Times (6/20, Mccarthy) reports on the
death of a 20-year-old that may be linked to heroin laced with
fentanyl.

City's most perilous drug: Fentanyl

Philadelphia Inquirer
By KITTY CAPARELLA
June 20, 2006 It's deadly. The push of a syringe is like pulling a
trigger 'Wit' or wit'out,' the usual phrase to order a South Philly
cheesesteak with or without onions, has taken on a deadly new
meaning.

Drug dealers are using the expression to ask customers whether they
want illicit heroin - or cocaine - with or without fentanyl, a
synthetic opiate 40 to 100 times more powerful than morphine.

'It's deadly. The push of a syringe is like pulling a trigger,' said
U.S. Attorney Patrick Meehan, of the fatal drug mixture that has led
to as many as 70 deaths and up to 220 overdoses in the Philadelphia
and South Jersey area since April.

Fentanyl, the new 'drug du jour,' has replaced oxycontin as the
primary dangerous drug throughout the city, officials said. Last
Friday, at least 12 abusers overdosed on the deadly mix in Camden,
and it has recently shown up in Harrisburg, Pittsburgh and Delaware.

Yesterday, Meehan, District Attorney Lynne Abraham and others jointly
announced that city, state and federal law-enforcement and
health-care agencies in Philadelphia and South Jersey had banded
together to crack down on what is rapidly emerging as a national
fentanyl crisis.

The top federal and city prosecutors vowed that any drug dealer who
sells fentanyl-laced street drugs that result in death would be
charged with third-degree murder.

Law-enforcement and health-care agencies are reporting known drug
sales, emergency-room drug responses, coroner's reports and other
information to the Philadelphia/Camden High Intensity Drug
Trafficking Area to be analyzed.

Authorities expect to use that intelligence to combat
fentanyl-related street sales, find potential clandestine labs and
reduce drug-related deaths and overdoses.

Abraham said officials debated whether to announce the public-health
warning because it could 'perversely' increase deaths and overdoses
by junkies 'seeking a bigger bang.'

She said she would 'not be surprised if people go out and ask for it
by name or content.'

These drug addicts 'need to be in treatment,' said Roland Lamb,
director of addiction services in the city Department of Mental
Health and Retardation.

1-888-545-2600, to enter one of 180 drug-treatment or detox
facilities in the area, where an average of 50 beds have been
available in the last year.

Abraham said abusers charged with drug offenses can opt for the
city's drug court as an alternative to trial and enter a treatment
facility as a way to turn their lives around.

Fentanyl is usually prescribed for pain management during surgery and
for chronic pain when morphine no longer works.

But the fentanyl sold here is being manufactured in clandestine drug
labs, said Jack Kassom, special agent-in-charge of the Philadelphia
Drug Enforcement Administration office.

The DEA tied one batch of fentanyl to a Mexican distributor, he
added. Agents are looking at whether the fentanyl sold here came from
a lab shut down on May 20 in Toluca, Mexico, or another clandestine
lab.

When abusers buy heroin, they don't know if it is laced with
fentanyl, said Kassom. 'People are dying with the needles stuck in
their arms,' he said.

The Philadelphia/Camden HIDTA was first to spot the deadly trend in
April, and has since issued four bulletins warning of the emerging
drug problem.

Copyright 2006 Philadelphia Inquirer, All Rights Reserved.
Unread 06-21-2006, 10:13 PM   #8
beginagain

SomeDay,
I personally did not have it tested, but someone else did and I have no reason to doubt what she told me based on ongoing communication off board that developed a level of trust. It certainly fits. There was another person from the board who tested the product but we never heard back from him after that so I do not know if the results were the same. This particular board has no off board contact. I did see a recent post from him at that other board and he is on Sub as well so I assume the outcome was much the same for him. Three others I corresponded with in the past also ended up back on the pill train and are now on Sub.

The lady that had it tested had a relative who worked in a state toxicology lab. I can also tell you for certain that the product was confiscated at customs and never released, that the FDA is involved though they have not yet issued a report on the investigation and that major shippers quit handling the product all together on the order of US and Canadian customs.

Looking back now it was a ridiculous and irresponsible decision to try it in the first place. Desperate people do desperate things. It seemed at the time that quite a few people were having success but it appears now they had not tried to stop using the product after any length of time. Far worse than any withdrawal I've ever experienced. Frightening stuff. The effect was not like anything I can describe, the amount of late day drowsiness was frightening and once you used it for a few days regularly you were in the death grip of yet another obsession.
Unread 06-24-2006, 11:44 AM   #9
suboxone sam

WE MUST GET NARCAN OUT TO THE PEOPLE USING, OR OPEN A PLACE TO USE IN A HOSPITAL. PEOPLE ARE SICK AND WILL ARE STILL ON LISTS TO GET ON SUBOXONE. MANY PEOPLE CAN NOT GET PILLS OF OXYS OR HYDRO AND HAVE TO TAKE HEROIN, WE NEED TO PROTECT THEM. MANY ARE AT POINT OF DEATH IS NOT SO BAD.
PLEASE LETS DO SOME HARM REDUCTION,