Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 09-19-2014, 11:17 PM   #1
fifty

Default honest inspiration

I'm trying to solicit some honest information here. They used to separate the thread concepts. This one would have been under motivation. I have attended several AA meetings by now. Different times and groups. Men and Women. And all of the long time members have all had like 8 to 12 plus years before a relapse and then are back at ten or five. My honest question is has anyone entered into AA and never relapsed and stayed in the program for a continuous number of years without ever a relapse? I'm not looking for an excuse to relapse. Quite the contrary the inspiration to know that someone has not ever like I intend to.
fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2014, 08:20 AM   #2
jenm

Hi Fifty!

I know many people who have gotten sober, attended AA, and stayed sober without relapse. I also know many who have relapsed after 5 or 10 years. The thing is, everyone's story and path is different. I really just need to stay in today - whenever I start comparing or contrasting my sobriety or length/quality of sobriety to someone else's, I am no longer focusing on my own program and sobriety. I figure we all have the same amount of time if we are able to stay sober today. Take care, good to hear from you! Jenm
jenm is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Say Thank You to jenm For This Useful Post:
Thank You (02-23-2015), Thank You (09-20-2014), Thank You (01-05-2015), Thank You (09-20-2014)
Unread 09-20-2014, 05:44 PM   #3
R. Lee

Fifty, It is not how long you have been in the program. It is how you work the program.

I just have today. I have a sponsor & phone numbers to call. It is up to me to use them. I am either 100% in the program or I am in trouble.

I see people with long time sobriety & I would not want what they got. I try to stick with the winners. I also have to give back was so freely given to me.

I 1st tried the program in 1984 to get back with a X wife. I hung around. I did not like it & made no effort to do what was suggested. I hung around for a month & a half, then tried to do it on my own. I drank after 7 months. It was 20 years before I walked back to the tables. This time I wanted it more than anything. I listened & did what was suggested. I have lasted working the program 1 day at a time.
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (02-23-2015), Thank You (01-05-2015)
Unread 01-05-2015, 12:34 PM   #4
lostdog

I know a lady who has not relapsed and just celebrated her 25th year of sobriety. Just go day to day, just like Jenm and R.Lee said. If you do that, you will have a great day each day because you live in the present moment.
lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to lostdog For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-05-2015), Thank You (01-05-2015)