Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 09-21-2016, 01:08 PM   #1
Toni2016

Default Getting started

Hi everyone
Wonderful to find this site.
Well it has been 2 days for me or should I say 2 nights.
My question is would anyone have recommendations for how to deal with withdrawals? As in supplements, foods, exercise.
I have been drinking a bottle of wine every night for awhile. I feel until I get this under control there are other goals that I am not achieving. so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated .
Thanks
Toni2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Toni2016 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-21-2016)
Unread 09-21-2016, 01:29 PM   #2
Millie

Hi Toni!

Welcome! First, good for you for making this change. You'll never regret not drinking.

Regarding withdrawals, well... you're likely going to feel some symptoms no matter what you do. Can you get your hands on Emergen-C? Drinking one of those a day may not be a bad thing. And if you can get to the gym, that might help. Just keep telling yourself that this is temporary. Maybe make a list of the reasons you're trying to stop drinking.

You might feel like you're coming down with a cold, and that's withdrawal. Don't use that as an excuse to drink.

Good luck, and feel free to talk to us. There is no judgment here. You can do this!
Millie is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to Millie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-26-2016), Thank You (09-21-2016)
Unread 09-21-2016, 05:14 PM   #3
Tryntryagain

Good evening Toni. Bright blessings to you.

Oh my goodness.......how to deal with withdrawals?....write to us again and again and again. Tell us what is happening to you.

Our dearest Millie has got it spot on, and also the bestest thing for withdrawals is some good old fashioned solid support around you that do not judge.... just guide you on your way....whatever happens.

Personally, apart from the physical, lots, and lots of water, some food if you can manage it, is to do all the things you "were"going to do...but were drinking instead.

You know....that wander through the woods, that library you thought you would go to, that film, that concert. That book you always wanted to read, those pounds you wanted to lose, those pounds you wanted to put on....whatever, welcome.

All life is here.

Keep checking in, that's the biggest help of all!

Be peaceful, be healthy and be strong. Loveness to you Toni
Tryntryagain is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to Tryntryagain For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-21-2016), Thank You (09-26-2016)
Unread 09-21-2016, 09:19 PM   #4
lostdog

be careful with withdrawals and consult a professional as you could have seizures. I'm just being cautious as it can be serious. best wishes and congrats on your new sobriety!
lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to lostdog For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-21-2016), Thank You (09-26-2016)
Unread 09-22-2016, 07:48 AM   #5
R. Lee

Toni2016, Welcome to the site. I can offer no advice on the DT,sexcept to be aware of them & contact a doctor.
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-26-2016)
Unread 09-22-2016, 07:58 AM   #6
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Toni2016, please give this link about alcohol withdrawals a read.
http://www.alcoholanswers.org/alcoho...withdrawal.cfm

As R. Lee said, contact a doctor or go to the ER if necessary.

Welcome!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-26-2016)
Unread 09-22-2016, 10:59 AM   #7
Toni2016

3rd night under my belt yahoo. For now the only change I am seeing last night i was so tired. I went to bed at 8 and slept until 7:30 this morning. Wow I don't remember a time of getting that much sleep felt really good. Thanks everyone. Think I am going to go get a massage today.
Wishing everyone the best thanks
Unread 09-22-2016, 01:09 PM   #8
Millie

Good morning, Toni. The sleeping makes sense. Alcohol really disrupts your sleep (even though you're out, the quality of your sleep is awful). So if you've been drinking daily for a long time, you've got some catching up to do!

Hope you have a good day. A massage is a great idea.

Oh, and it might be good to read up on PAWS (post-acute withdrawal syndrome). Odd symptoms can show up for a long time, that can lead you backward if you don't know what they are.
One User Says Thank You to Millie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-26-2016)
Unread 09-23-2016, 10:27 AM   #9
R. Lee

Toni, Congrats on 3 days sober. Yes better sleep is one of the changes you will see. Keep it up 1 day at a time. Think through that 1st. urge to drink.
Thank You (09-26-2016)
Unread 09-23-2016, 11:36 AM   #10
Alexis

Hello welcome to the forum, hope to see you around more

Congrats on the sober days!! x
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Alexis For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-26-2016)
Unread 09-23-2016, 08:56 PM   #11
lostdog

well sleep is a good thing, PAWS happens a lot like Millie says. Hey I wish I could sleep, but I'm glad you are, take care and congrats on your new life!
lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to lostdog For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-26-2016)
Unread 09-23-2016, 10:49 PM   #12
Rockinsteady

Wow, three days sober? How exciting! You are just at the beginning of such a wonderful change. You are probably still feeling kind of tired, I bet, and maybe wondering what to do with yourself in the evenings instead of open a bottle, yes? Well, welcome to more energy and more time to do stuff...basically, more freedom! So, once you're past any physiological symptoms you might be having, like Tryn said, think of what you can do now when you're 100%, in full effect, unencumbered by booze. When I quit, it seemed to me like I'd scraped barnacles off the bottom of my boat (I hadn't hardly even known they were there) and it was just so much easier to sail than it used to be. I was cruising along and bobbing so much higher in the water...it was smoother and easier and at the same time more fun and I could see more cool stuff and feel the breeze more...okay, you get the metaphor. And, like Millie said, It probably won't be ALL smooth sailing, but it'll almost certainly be way smoother than it used to be with alcohol on board. Congratulations!
Rockinsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Say Thank You to Rockinsteady For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-24-2016), Thank You (09-26-2016), Thank You (09-24-2016)
Unread 09-24-2016, 06:46 AM   #13
Tryntryagain

Good morning Toni. Bright blessings to you.

3 days........slept forever......yet our dearest Millie really has a good point here. There will changes. Some good, some not so good in the early days. I can remember the most vivid of dreams. Not "nightmares" , yet disturbing in that they were sooooo vivid. I went on to learn that alcohol is simply another drug. Long term drinking, like any long term use even of prescribed drugs, withdrawal does not just mean sweats and whatnot, the very chemical construction and usual daily workings of the brain alter really rather dramatically. Those changes for me were, and still are, a challenge for me.

Then drinking dreams. I have been in rehab and 2 months in.. woke up.. with a hangover.... having been convinced in my dream i had been drinking. Both the power of the brain, (not the mind) and how it can change. Your brain is rarely your friend! Sobriety can not help but get you in touch with yourself.

I actively in my brain wanted to stop drinking 30 years ago. As i write to you today i am hoping a day at a time i can start dreaming of a year sober. A few months to go. So why did it take me so long?

It is rightly said often in many self abusive fields that "not until a person is ready" will change occur. Another one is one has to hit "rock bottom" before they can change. And the one that always confused me the most was "you have to "really" want to do it.

I shall refrain from saying hogwash, yet ask the question, what do any of them actually look like? What are their definitions? Oh of course, "different for different people"....really?

I got to 3 days, for years, rock bottom?...it is where i lived! With alcohol....i couldn't care less.

I know so many of my brothers and sisters in this beautiful family, and there are common threads even though we are in different parts of the world. I have never known a bunch of people so capable, so sensitive, experienced with such a multifarious array of gifts and talents, whose journeys in one way or t'other has left them struggling for personal confidence and self belief. For some reason a hurt and a need deep inside us all, we are family because we used alcohol the "plug that gap".

The thing is...it works. The price?....everything you are, you will be, you can be, all the people you love and those that love you.....in the end. (Oh...and then it will have you....ever heard of interest rates??)

THAT is why 3 days sober is not only amazing, it is downright important. I couldn't get there for yeeeaarrrrsssss! You sound so very strong inside and thus i really encourage you to not only to commit yourself to staying sober a day at a time, yet the real secret for me, commit to yourself.

You are obviously brave and courageous, you would not be here otherwise. Feel it, it is you. It is so very ok to look after all of you.

So from an English fellow from my dear ole Blighty, i take my hat off to you.

Hang in there, and keep using us for support.

Be peaceful, be healthy and be strong. Loveness to you Toni
One User Says Thank You to Tryntryagain For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-26-2016)
Unread 09-24-2016, 09:25 AM   #14
R. Lee

Toni, Life will just keep getting better. Keep it up. You are worth it.
2 Users Say Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-26-2016), Thank You (09-26-2016)
Unread 09-26-2016, 05:40 AM   #15
Tryntryagain

I was thinking about you this morning from my dear ole Blighty and thought i would pass by and ask how you are getting along? It is sure a up and down journey at the beginning and it is really important for you to know that whatever is happening for you, here, you can share it, and it will be heard and read with love, experience and collective wisdom.

I do hope you are coping.

Be peaceful, be healthy and be strong. Loveness to you Toni.
Thank You (09-26-2016)
Unread 09-26-2016, 03:38 PM   #16
Toni2016

Wow everyone thank you so much. I am on night 8. I have never made it to night 8. Saturday night I came down with the yuck sore throat, head ache, fever, congested. Good news is I know it is temporary, bad news is I was hoping to feel the benefits of not drinking by now. I continue to sleep like crazy just no energy. I like to run and I ran 2 times last week then felt bad after. I am ready to move forward. I am grateful for you all and I have a wonderful friend who has been calling me and giving advice. Thank you all I appreciate you.
Unread 09-26-2016, 04:37 PM   #17
Millie

Wow, Toni, that is awesome!! Hang in there and it will get better. I promise.
One User Says Thank You to Millie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-26-2016)
Unread 09-26-2016, 05:12 PM   #18
Alexis

you are doing so well, keep going xx
Thank You (09-26-2016)
Unread 09-26-2016, 05:21 PM   #19
Toni2016

you promise ? Thank you
Unread 09-27-2016, 01:32 PM   #20
R. Lee

Tonie, Your body is adjusting to no alcohol. You will be OK. It took a lot of alcohol to get you to the point where you quit. Now it will take time for you body to feel normal.
Thank You (09-28-2016)
Unread 09-28-2016, 04:25 PM   #21
Toni2016

The coolest thing.
Yesterday I went to a therapist. 1st time for me. As we started talking she made a statement saying "you will never drink again" then asked me what I thought about it. At first I said nothing, she said just give it a minute. The 1st thought that came into my head was "Yes you will". When i told her she said I just spoke as a 3rd person. At first I was like what? Then she said If I was speaking as me I would have said "Yes I will" instead I said you. She said that was alcohol speaking not me. That is crazy. So we named that Alcohol person Morgana. The therapist brought it to my attention that Morgana does not have arms, legs, or money to purchase wine she needs me. Any way I thought is was cool. wondered if anyone else would benefit from this. Name that alcohol voice so you can address them when they have a child fit. Worked last night for me. Let me know what you think.
5 Users Say Thank You to Toni2016 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-29-2016), Thank You (09-29-2016), Thank You (09-28-2016), Thank You (09-28-2016), Thank You (09-29-2016)
Unread 09-29-2016, 06:54 AM   #22
Tryntryagain

This is absolutely marvelous.

Each of us has, will have pathways forward that work for us. Understanding our own behaviour is incredibly challenging not just for ourselves yet for those that seek to guide us.

As the recipient of therapy for many years through many therapists, it really is about finding the one you feel most comfortable with. A human bod that is there to guide, mentor, listen and feedback, not a judgmental figure that should be feared. To be totally open and honest is not an easy thing to do, and only when we feel trusted, and trusting in another can we be truly honest.

Addiction has many forms, and has as many pathways forward. I can hear the excitement and positivism in your voice. For me in the early days it came down to one thing and one thing only, whatever kept me sober a day at a time....worked.

Here i am known as Tryn, yet my name is Andy. If i was to give a name to the voice that is alcohol within me?...i have come to learn it is called Andy.

Please do not get me wrong, i totally understand the "other part of us" that adds up to alcoholism, just don't forget that is a part of you. Amazing you.

If it works, do what it takes. For those who find troubles in drink, for those like me who are alcoholics, sobriety is the best thing that can ever, ever happen in your life.

I am thrilled that you are finding this pathway forward for you.

Just remember, a day at a time eh?

Be peaceful, be healthy and be strong. Loveness to you Toni.
Thank You (09-29-2016)
Unread 09-29-2016, 06:58 AM   #23
Alexis

you sound great, im glad you are here with us!

So pleased your therapy session went so well also! Great idea to name that voice, i will think of mine x
Thank You (09-29-2016)