Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 01-03-2006, 07:44 PM   #1
JOHND

Default I'm about to begin

I am very nervous. I have made an appointment with Doctor for my initial meeting. I have am now taking between 20-30 10/325 Norco daily for about a year. I have tried to stop in the past but the withdrawl was terrible. I am nervous that it will happen when I stop taking it and take suboxen still. Will I really have no more withdrawl symptoms? It sounds too good to be true. Once I get the correct dosage, how will I feel? I guess if someone could give me some insight rather than just talking to the nurse it would be wonderful. Thank you, John
Unread 01-03-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
boxermama

John, congradulations! suboxone does sound too good to be true. it works...it works really well. i was taking 40 to 50 norco (10 hydro/325 tyneol) a day. by the second day on suboxone i didn't feel like an active addict. i felt healthy,energetic,hopeful and FREE. please keep us updated on your treatment. i'll be thinking of you and sending good vibes!
dawn
Unread 01-03-2006, 07:55 PM   #3
Mary

Hi JohnD and welcome!! I know it does sound too good to be true, but with most people, the relief from the withdrawal is fast, usually while they're still in the doctor's office. I was snorting 5-6 bags of H a day for years and I felt better by the time I left the dr's office. You need to be in withdrawal before starting or else the sub will put into what is called precipitated withdrawal. Which can be taken care by taking more sub, but it's better to avoid it by being in withdrawal when you start. A good thing to read first is from the education section on this site:

http://www.naabt.org/education/what_bt_like.cfm

It gives a general overview of what it's like. When you get the correct dosage, you just feel 'normal'. I hate to over-use the word, but you can concentrate on things, you want to do things you didn't really think of when you were using. That's how it was for me. A freedom of sorts. I'm sure a lot of others will add their experiences, but since I was here, I thought I'd welcome you and let you know of that link to read. It's pretty good.

When's your appointment? -Mary
Unread 01-03-2006, 07:56 PM   #4
boxermama

i forgot to say that the withdrawls are very easy if the dose is right, and you'll be monitored to make sure the dose is right. it kinda feels achey,like you've exercised alot the day before and you ache now. you'll be suprised as for how well it works!
dawn
Unread 01-03-2006, 09:55 PM   #5
JOHND

I am on the waiting list for the doctor. They said they will try to get me in on Thursday or Friday. I told them I would be their best patient. Thanks for your words of encouragement. I am actually very excited but nervous!!!
Unread 01-03-2006, 11:17 PM   #6
Mary

JohnD, when you get the appointment, be sure to ask if they will be doing the induction that day. Some doctors have their patients come in one day to do paperwork and stuff and then have them come back the next day for the first day of sub treatment. That way you'll know when to stop the Norcos in time to be in enough withdrawal. Keep us posted! And ask if you have more questions. - Mary
Unread 01-04-2006, 02:21 PM   #7
boxermama

John,
how are you doing today? do you know if your going tomorrow or friday?
get ready for that monkey to get off of your back!

dawn

Unread 01-04-2006, 02:46 PM   #8
JOHND

[quote]Originally posted by JOHND

[quote]Originally posted by boxermama

John,
how are you doing today? do you know if your going tomorrow or friday?
get ready for that monkey to get off of your back!

dawn

I am going to call them this morning to see where I am on the list. I am really ready to move on!! Thank you so much for your support.
Unread 01-04-2006, 02:50 PM   #9
boxermama

John,
I'm glad that i was of support to you! i'm keeping my fingers crossed that you start today!!!!

dawn

Unread 01-06-2006, 12:31 AM   #10
just-n-time

Hi John!!
Thanks for the reply!! Yes we too are similar. My induction went very smooth. In fact there was a little problem with the nurse, on when to give me my first dose, because she was having difficulty in telling how much into it I was. I was trying to be brave!! I can put on a pretty good act if I have too!!) I had no idea what I was in store for. Then I went to the bathroom and saw my pupils!!, and almost choked!! I went back into my room and the doctor (simply put: WONDERFUL) and I questioned him about my pupils, and he said "oh my, how long ago was your first dose?" and I said I haven't had it yet, but I'm thinking I'm really ready for it now!! He agreed!! Smooth sailing from there. 2 more doses after that, and I felt fine enough to go home!! I had my 2nd appt. today, it went better than I could have ever expected!! I have been reading as much as possible within the last 3, 4 days, and boy, have I learned alot!! Especially how blessed I am to have such a compassionate and truely caring Physician. He is my God send. Let me know how your's goes, I'm just a little ahead of you!! I'd be happy to help, if I can. Good blessings being sent your way; Beth.
Unread 01-06-2006, 02:07 PM   #11
JOHND

Thanks for your response Beth,

This weekend will be my last time on Vicodin. I plan on taking my last pill on Sunday afternoon. My appointment is 10am Monday. Hopefully I will be in enough withdrawls. I look forward to hearing all about your week etc.

John
Unread 01-06-2006, 02:25 PM   #12
boxermama

John,
i wish that i had kept a journal the last few days of using drugs. So when i get thoughts or cravings for drugs then i can read exactly how i felt before getting help. just a thought.... i bet that you're nervous about Monday. We're here if you need anything
take care
dawn
Unread 01-06-2006, 02:36 PM   #13
Mary

Hey John! That's great news about 10 on Monday! Congratulations! That seems like it should be enough time for you and the WDs. Just keep an eye (ha ha ha) on your pupils. It the best way to gage your withdrawals. Sometimes anxiety or nervousness can bring on sweats or other stuff that might seem like WDs but the pupils are the best indicator. We're all with you in spirit!

Beth, Glad your induction went so well and you have found a gem of a doctor! YAY! -Mary
Unread 01-07-2006, 04:59 AM   #14
just-n-time

Hey John!!
I'm definately no expert!! But you might want to ask someone on this board who has more expertise. My doctor told me he wanted me to not have anything in my system for 9 or 10 hours. I'm concerned that for you to go to long w/o anything, may have you in unsupervised withdrawls. I know they were very good about monitoring my stages of withdrawl, especially since thats part of the reason we are there!! Anyway food for thought, do some checking. I don't remember what you were using, but I was at 120-150+Norco. And at about 8 hours I started to feel the onset. My blessings are with you, even though I know you will be amazed!! Beth.
Unread 01-07-2006, 05:37 PM   #15
Mary

Hey John, Hanging in there? Thinking of you. -Mary
Unread 01-09-2006, 09:57 AM   #16
just-n-time

Hey John!!
I'm into my 2nd week!! This does work!! It is amazing!! I too, am thinking of you!!. I do keep a small journal, and it is a good idea. I jot down when I take a 2mg (thats what I'm at now) dosage, and what I'm feeling (physically and emotionally). This helped when I had my 2nd appt., to figure dosing. Please let us know how everything goes. My blessings are with you, Beth.
Unread 01-09-2006, 10:20 AM   #17
JRT

Hope all goes well for your this morning. We are pulling for you today.
Unread 01-09-2006, 10:23 AM   #18
Robyn

Hi John,
If I read right, today is your big day!!! FWIW, I was told the further into WD I was, the better my reaction to the Sub. Since no one is experienced in this until they go thru it, I told the doctor at his word and had relatively minor reactions.

Everyone is different, treatments do differ, but the overall satisfaction rate is very high. The odds are in your favor.

Good Luck and Godspeed!
Unread 01-09-2006, 10:49 AM   #19
Mary

Good luck today John! You're at the beginning of a good gig! I'll be thinking of you. -Mary
Unread 01-09-2006, 02:21 PM   #20
dodo

Hi John,
We're all pulling for you today! Hope your visit went well. Please let us know how you are doing and how it went!! If your in my time zone, you're probably feeling just fine right about now. Good Luck!
Doris
Unread 01-09-2006, 08:20 PM   #21
JOHND

Hello everyone,

I had my appointment this morning, felt terrible on the way there. Even drove with my emergency brake on for about 2 miles before I noticed. The doctor and nurse were wonderful. Took 2mg, felt better in about 15 minutes, took another 2mg felt even better. Thought I could leave but still felt a little anxious so they gave me one more 2mg before I left. I feel very good right now, like I said earlier almost too good to be true. They gave me four 2mg pills for tonight and tomorrow morning. Have another appointment tomorrow morning at 10:30am. I can not tell you how excited I am about this whole experience so far. Thank you everyone!!!!
Unread 01-09-2006, 08:30 PM   #22
dodo

John,
Congrats!!! Believe me it really is true! It just gets better from here. Keep us posted and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!
Doris
Unread 01-09-2006, 08:58 PM   #23
JRT

Yippie-my husband is only three days before youfeel free to ask him any questions.
Unread 01-09-2006, 11:04 PM   #24
boxermama

John,
your dream is real this time! suboxone is a miracle for me. the nightmare can be over now....
i'm so glad that it's working for you!!!!
i'm proud of you for making that big step.
take care and please let us know how you are doing each day.
dawn
Unread 01-09-2006, 11:32 PM   #25
Mary

John! That's great news. Glad to hear it!!! -Mary
Unread 01-10-2006, 12:09 AM   #26
Robyn

Thanks for coming back and letting us know. In about one week to ten days, I want to know what you think of life on the "other side."
Dixie
Unread 01-10-2006, 01:09 AM   #27
JOHND

Hello,

Thanks again for your responses, really means a lot. Had to take another 2mg tonight around 5pm. Started to feel a little anxious. Have another if I need it before bedtime. Feel very good though. I think I will feel more confident once I get a few days under my belt. I hope I can sleep ok tonight.

Once again thanks to everyone for being so kind,

John
Unread 01-10-2006, 09:31 AM   #28
Robyn

John,
FWIW, many of us have had trouble sleeping if taking Sub in the late afternoon or evening. Tends to mess with sleep and the Sub is stays in our system far longer than the drugs we were abusing. If sleep is an issue, you may want to look at the times you take it. Dixie
Unread 01-10-2006, 09:58 AM   #29
Jaywalker

Hey John: Just wanted to let you know I just went through the process (See my post). I did it as an inpatient and am glad I did, but that is the way my doctor does it. It's only been a few days now that I've been on my maintenance dose, and I feel great. I'm truly amazed and grateful for this medication and the doctors who are leading the way with this therapy. I hope you are doing well, and please keep us posted here....
Unread 01-10-2006, 11:55 AM   #30
dodo

Good Morning John. How are doing today? Did you sleep well? If not that will even itself.
Doris
Unread 01-10-2006, 07:08 PM   #31
JOHND

Good afternoon,

I finally took one more 2mg at 9pm last night, slept all the way through the night. Woke up feeling very good. Took another 2mg at 6:30am, went to my doctor for my review, took 4mg and just took 2mg. I feel very good. I am feeling so good that I just threw away my folder that contained all my contact information from all the internet drug companies that I have been using. Felt really good to get rid of it all. It is going to be so nice not to have to worry if my pills are going to be here in time!!!

I will be taking 12mg a day until my appointment next tuesday.

Everyone have a great day,

John
Unread 01-10-2006, 09:05 PM   #32
boxermama

John,
in the next few days you will feel even better. On my 8th day, i called all of the internet hookups and told them that i was an addict and in recovery. i even asked them if they knew a way to help with my addiction, they didn't know what to say (LOL). they still call me asking if i want drugs. i'll just tell them that i'm an addict and never to call me again...but they still do. i'd love to get some of these internet drug pushers/providers into some trouble. they made it way too easy to get addicted. i know that i had my part in it too but it was way too easy.
i'm so glad that is over!!!!
i'm glad that you're finding peace with suboxone
your friend,
dawn
Unread 01-11-2006, 04:43 PM   #33
JOHND

Feeling very tired today. It is my third day. Took 8mg this morning. Supposed to take 4mg tonight. Is it unusual to feel tired like this? Feel like taking a very long nap. My head just feels like I can't focus.

Thanks for any of your suggestions,

John
Unread 01-11-2006, 04:59 PM   #34
CK1976

Johnd,
That all sounds normal, it takes about a week to stabilize. If you start to feel withdrawal at any time it likely would mean your dose is too low. Other than that you may feel tired, or trouble sleeping, a whole range of things, it will eventually even out and you'll feel fine. 90% plus of all of the people I've read about and talked to felt fine after the first week. I felt fine the first day, but everyone's different. If you don't feel fine after a week your doc will adjust your dose to find what's best for you, sometimes more sometimes less, different for everyone. It might be helpful to your doc for you to keep a journal of the symptoms you have and what time, how long after your dose, etc. Hang in there.
ck

Unread 01-11-2006, 05:05 PM   #35
dodo

John,
I felt fine the first day, never any problems after that regarding energy. It just seems kind of odd that you were feeling fine the first two days and not now. Your total dose is 12mg.? Anybody else here think it might be too low or too high?
Doris
Unread 01-11-2006, 06:19 PM   #36
JRT

My husband started on Saturday-He slept so much the first couple of days-he was sleeping so soundly that I kept checking to see if he was breathing. On the third day I got him a masage. Fourth day we got up early and went for a walk then out to lunch-then a three hour nap. Fifith day-we joined the gym and he has been up all day.

I think between not sleeping well for the past two year because of the oxy abuse and the stress of starting the Sub program he was physically and emotionally drained.

Make sure you are eating right and drinking lots of fluids.

Hope you are feeling stronger soon.

Lizzie