Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 12-17-2008, 07:31 AM   #1
tam

Default New here

Wow....I can't believe that I am doing this. SO HARD! I am a 48 year old woman who has used alcohol since 15. I have a VERY loving husband, three biological kids, two step-grandchildren and six step-grandchildren. I work full-time and my husband just retired. I have finally submitted myself to a woman who handles my anxiety treatment. I can't believe that I find myself here. My Aunt was a full blown alcoholic and I hated when she would call my house when I was a kid. It ruined her immediate family (divorce and, for some, divorce from her kids). I remember visiting her at a treatment facility (that did not work for her....antabuse in the middle of the dinner table, etc.)

And now look at me.....how pathetic. I am glad to find this forum as I need someone to talk to.....My husband is my best friend and soul mate....but, he doesn't have the problem that I do and so, although supportive, I need to talk to someone who has been where I am.

So glad to have found this site.

Tam
tam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2008, 08:37 AM   #2
JaneDoe

Tam, you're not pathetic. Look at how many others have been, done that, or are still there. I'm coming up on a year without drinking. After 15 years!

I posted this to someone else a couple of weeks ago. My story and about what helped me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneDoe View Post
RelapseTimma and yoyo71, Don't know if you guys read it, but here's my story.
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=18957

I'm now 11 months without drinking and even with holiday parties and junk like that coming up, I'm not inclined to go out.

I found that going to a therapist to talk about me and what makes me tick - not an addiction person, just a good psych - was the best thing I did.

Besides get the Vivitrol shot. This guy says it all.
http://www.alcoholanswers.org/tom/
http://www.alcoholanswers.org/treatm...-treatment.cfm

RelapseTimma, think about getting the shot. I tested it and I didn't feel like drinking more than 2/3 drinks. And I got no buzz from drinking. Just made me think what a waste of money and calories that was.

Now if I'm out in social situations and feel weird that everyone is drinking and I'm not (family gathering stuff like that), I just have a soda pop and put fruit in it that makes it look like I'm having a drink. Makes people shut up. LOL

Get the shot. Get counseling. If I'm working it, you both can.

JaneDoe
It's work, but it can be done, trust me on that.

How much do you drink, do you drink every day?

Keep posting. This place saved my life.

JaneDoe
JaneDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2008, 09:53 AM   #3
tam

Thanks Jane:

I am slated to take Naltrexone starting today (Vivitrol is too expensive and not reimbursed). I am going to ask my husband, at first, to ensure that I take the oral as I am not convinced that I will be compliant. I live in a small town, I teach students at a very large University......and I am VERY WORRIED.....about confidentiality,
tam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2008, 11:19 AM   #4
JaneDoe

tam, that's a good idea to have your husband make sure you take it. I didn't too well with taking it all the time, thus the shot. But my insurance covered it.

Did you see this about getting free Vivitrol?
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=19673

The doctor has to be confidential and if you're worried about the pharmacy picking it up or whoever works there, you can always go to one in another town where no one would know. Otherwise I don't think anyone would find out.

We'll help you through.

JaneDoe
JaneDoe is offline   Reply With Quote