Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 09-29-2008, 10:26 AM   #1
Ali777

Default Withdrawal Symptoms - and lonely

Hi -

Made it for 5 days - then had a beer on Sat and 2 on Sunday. My head was just killing me and now I know its a withdrawal effect because I'd have a beer and my headache would go away.

Yes I now realize that its dangerous to "just have one" to make the headache go away because then I REALLY wanted more.

Another weird thing - I was lonely this weekend. Then I realized that my family was moving on as usual so it must be me and that the me their used to must not engage much in the evening – that I don’t interact much starting at dinner time (which is usually when I start drinking). It was the saddest feeling in the world – realizing that (if they know it or not) they detach from me in the evening – because I detach from them. My God how sad is this?

The other thing - I finally told someone I have a drinking issue past “sometimes I like to tie one one.” I told my brother that I was trying to not drink – he said he has problems and tends to over drink on the weekekds – I told him I was having symptoms and having a hard time not drinking every night – then it seemed to hit him how bad it is for me. Said he’d be there for me but he’s going through enough in his life right now. Our father was an alcoholic.

All in all I wish I didn’t have anything this weekend but I’m happy I’m still committed and am going to not drink today – then I’m going to not drink tomorrow – then I’m going to keep trying.

My head still hurts though…
Ali777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2008, 02:56 PM   #2
CarlyO

Hi Ali,

Thanks for checking in, was wondering how you are doing. Ok so you had a beer or 2 , the important thing is don't get hung up on remorse or guilt and not to give up trying . The physical part of withdrawal is not easy, but it does get better with time. However, the cravings and the emotional issues related to quitting can be complicated and yes, very lonely if you do not have support. Have you reconsidered telling your family or counseling ?

I stopped drinking in 1995, after being in and out of programs, it took me many tries before " I got it " . I was more of a binge drinker. My preferred substance of choice that I became dependent on were many types of benzos and opiates.

I was in rough shape and had to go into a treatment center for detox and to get myself together. I walked around for the first 2 weeks - so utterly sad, I told someone I felt like someone had died. They said well - you are grieveing the loss of your drug , my trusted "friend" who was always around. It made total sense to me.
I was willing to try whatever they suggested, so I did attend AA and counseling . AA did give me a foundation on how to live life without substances. I know it is not for everyone, but if you want support from people who have been there , done that , and to learn how to live without alcohol, you will get it there or there is SMART recovery and one on one counseling. Also, there is a medication assisted treatment that can help you deal with cravings if you have them. All of this is in the links I gave you and on this site. Also, check out some books on recovery, even the Big Book of AA may help you and there a hundreds of others out there.

I share this because it is so difficult to do this alone and you do not have to this by yourself. I also have family members who misuse alcohol and drugs and the irony is that I was able to help them in their time of need. Alcohol does not care what kind of job you have , where you come from , it is a progressive disease if left untreated.

Ali, your family has no idea the hell that you went through last week. You have your reasons for not telling them but do you think you are selling them short ? That they will think less of you ? IMO - they may surprise you and be proud of you .
Stopping alcohol is a process it takes time. You are right, just do not drink today, this second. You are lucky in that you recognized you had a problem and have started on a new life without alcohol. So, Congrats to you on that huge accomplishment.

I have got to run, but will be back later this afternoon. Hang in there, OK ?
It will get better, it just takes time and work. Carly
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2008, 04:19 PM   #3
jbmt

im new to the group and was recently arrested for a dui which unfortunately was an allto harsh awakening, and realized that drinking was robbing me of alot of important things.......
jbmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
jbmt

exercise seemed to really help me with withdrawls and some of mental cravings as well...
jbmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2008, 11:26 PM   #5
CarlyO

Hi jbmt and welcome to the forum !
I hope you will share more of experinece. I am glad you made it through withdrawals and have found a way to deal with the mental cravings.

Glad you found the site - hope all continues to go well. Take care, Carly
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 09-30-2008, 02:18 PM   #6
CarlyO

Hi jbmt and Ali- Just checking in with you - hope all is going well.
Unread 10-01-2008, 12:59 PM   #7
Ali777

Default Getting easier

Thanks for checking in - doing better - last 2 nights nothing. Still grouchy but that's cool.
Ali777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2008, 07:18 PM   #8
CarlyO

That is great Ali,
hang in there, physically it does get better with time, it can be the mental /psychological/emotional aspects of this process that can be tougher than the actual withdrawals. I wish you luck and hope all is going well with your family too !
Make sure you are taking care of yourself, stay hydrated, eating healthy, getting exercise, do something fun with your new free time.
Thanks for checking in, congrats on what you have accomplished so far ! Please keep us posted when you have time, I am sure this is helping others : ) Carly
Unread 10-02-2008, 12:48 AM   #9
jerryg

Ali, JBMT,

I hope you are detoxing from the alcohol with some medical supervision. Have you spoken with your doctor about it?
It's nothing to mess with.
Hang in there,
Jerry
jerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2008, 01:06 PM   #10
CASEY

Hi Ali,
I agree with jerryg, you really should not go through DeTox alone . You do need Medical intervention.
The severe shaking and throwing up can cause you to have a seizure, this is something to take very serious. It all depend's on how much you have been drinking!
Not when you have a few drink's , when you have had your normal drinking binge.
It sound's like you want to do this on your own, and sometime's you have to admit you need help, it is in no way a sign of Weakness, it is a Sign of STRENGTH!!
Take Care, And I wish you luck!
Casey
CASEY is offline   Reply With Quote