Addiction Survivors

Notices

Reply
Unread 02-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
notok
Junior Member
 
Posts: 4
Default I'm new

My husband found this site and asked me to check it out so here I am. I am a 27 year old mother of two and a wife of 4 years. I have been drinking since I was 14. For the past 5 years I have been drinking very heavily, pretty much everyday, And I drink about a 12 pack in each sitting.I know that I have a problem but I just don't know what to do. I have quit several times only to found myself drinking again. Alot of times I find excuses to why I drink to get out of hearing what my husband might have to say about the situation. All my life I watched my mother get drunk and now I'm following in footsteps. I don't know what else to say. How do you go from drinking pretty much everyday to not drinking at all. I'm very scared!
notok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 04:48 PM   #2
Lana
Junior Member
 
Posts: 5
Default

I just found this site about 1 hour ago...go read some of the postings. It has inspired me enough in 1 hour to sign up. I have very good intentions on trying to quit drinking but so far it has not worked.
Lana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
notok
Junior Member
 
Posts: 4
Default

How long have you been drinking??
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lana

I just found this site about 1 hour ago...go read some of the postings. It has inspired me enough in 1 hour to sign up. I have very good intentions on trying to quit drinking but so far it has not worked.
notok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 05:03 PM   #4
Lana
Junior Member
 
Posts: 5
Default

25 years ....just gave my age up, didn't I )
The drinking is getting worse as I get older, I too will drink a 12 pack with no problem
Lana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 05:23 PM   #5
notok
Junior Member
 
Posts: 4
Default

I as well drink more as I get older. My husband does not drink at all, never has and when I drink it makes me feel like he's to good for me. He once told me that if I have a set time of the day that I want a beer then that makes me an alcoholic, Well I like to start drinking at about 3:00 and by 9 I'm drunk. I just wish I could be a social drinker, but I never have been. I'm very hard headed and I give him a hard time when I drink. Right now I'm making excuses in my head why I drink and I don't know why I do that.At times I even get behide the wheele thinking I got it. We have a very large group of friends and we all drink except my husband. On the weekends we usually get together cook and drink until the night. Now a days we hardly ever do that anymore because my husband refuses to go to a drunk feast. That's what he calls it. So now I pretty much stay home all day and wait for 3 o'clock to come around. I never planned for this to be happening to me. Right now I have a 12 pack in the icebox and it is taking all I have not to go open one up. I am so scared that it will come to the point where I start hiding to drink my beer.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by notok

My husband found this site and asked me to check it out so here I am. I am a 27 year old mother of two and a wife of 4 years. I have been drinking since I was 14. For the past 5 years I have been drinking very heavily, pretty much everyday, And I drink about a 12 pack in each sitting.I know that I have a problem but I just don't know what to do. I have quit several times only to found myself drinking again. Alot of times I find excuses to why I drink to get out of hearing what my husband might have to say about the situation. All my life I watched my mother get drunk and now I'm following in footsteps. I don't know what else to say. How do you go from drinking pretty much everyday to not drinking at all. I'm very scared!
notok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
Lana
Junior Member
 
Posts: 5
Default

Hiding to drink will come...and it's awful because all your doing is looking like a fool, everyone around you knows exactly what your doing, trust me. As far as drinking and driving PLEASE stop. I have a friend that killed a guy on a motorcycle after leaving a party we were all at, she spent a lot of time in prison and missed watching her daughter grow up. As for me I spent time in huber 2 years ago because I got caught.
Lana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #7
Nadia
Senior Member
 
Posts: 109
Default

notok, have you ever sought professional help for your alcohol dependence? Therapy, and/or peer support such as AA, SMART Recovery, etc.?
http://www.alcoholanswers.org/treatm...al-therapy.cfm

There are medications now to help with cravings or diminish the effect of alcohol consumed:
http://www.alcoholanswers.org/treatm...-treatment.cfm

Do you have a doctor you trust to talk to about your alcohol consumption?
That might be a good first start. Plus with all that you've been drinking and for so long, it may not be wise to just stop.
You may need medical detox. Alcohol withdrawals are nothing to fool with.
http://www.alcoholanswers.org/alcoho...withdrawal.cfm

Prayers.
Nadia
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2008, 12:10 PM   #8
notok
Junior Member
 
Posts: 4
Default

Nadia, I have never thought about professional help. I am happy to say that I have not touched a beer in 4 days ,which is good b/c I usually drink everyday. My stomach has been hurting though. Is not drinking the reason for that?
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by notok

My husband found this site and asked me to check it out so here I am. I am a 27 year old mother of two and a wife of 4 years. I have been drinking since I was 14. For the past 5 years I have been drinking very heavily, pretty much everyday, And I drink about a 12 pack in each sitting.I know that I have a problem but I just don't know what to do. I have quit several times only to found myself drinking again. Alot of times I find excuses to why I drink to get out of hearing what my husband might have to say about the situation. All my life I watched my mother get drunk and now I'm following in footsteps. I don't know what else to say. How do you go from drinking pretty much everyday to not drinking at all. I'm very scared!
notok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2008, 04:45 PM   #9
Nadia
Senior Member
 
Posts: 109
Default

notok, that's fabulous that you haven't have had any beer in 4 days. Congratulations.

As for your stomach, read this link on alcohol withdrawals:
http://www.alcoholanswers.org/alcoho...withdrawal.cfm

From it:
The signs and symptoms of alcohol withdrawal typically appear between 6 and 48 hours after heavy alcohol consumption decreases. Initial symptoms may include headache, tremor, sweating, agitation, anxiety and irritability, nausea and vomiting, heightened sensitivity to light and sound, disorientation, difficulty concentrating, and in more serious cases, transient hallucinations.2 These manifestations result from alcohol-induced imbalances in the brain chemistry that cause excessive neuronal activity if the alcohol is withheld.3

Please be careful and if things get worse, call 911 or get to a hospital immediately.

Therapy may be good to help you learn to deal with life on life's terms without self-medicating with alcohol. Sometimes is helps to talk things out with a disconnected third party.

Keep me updated, if you wouldn't mind.

Prayers.
Nadia
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2008, 05:14 PM   #10
CASEY
Senior Member
 
Posts: 378
Default

notok,
Hi welcome to the site! You don't realize but you have just made the first and the hardest step to make " You said , You think your out of control".
Have you ever thought of going to a Therapist, I have no problem with AA, I just prefer the one on one.
I had alot of medical problem's and I would drink thinking I deserved it because of all the hell I have been through. I was so wrong. It only made it so much worse for me.
It took me 4-time's until I found someone I was I trusted and felt understood my problem, he does not think I am an Alcoholic, but I was drinking to bury pain and be strong. He taught me how to ask for help, you said you are hard headed, so am I and I thought asking for help was a sign of weakness, it is not !! It is a sign of strength. I also found out alot about my childhood that I had buried.
I was abused verbally by a nieghbor and I never told anyone for fear of no one believing me. By not telling I let what he said to me sink in and had lived my life like all the rotten thing's he said and did were true. Trust is extremly hard for me , I have been married 15-year's, and since we are all saying our age I just turned 40 in Dec.
But my medical problem's began exactly 1-year after we were married and I was 25.
With the help of my Therapist, I keep a journal and he tell's me to read it every 3 to 6-month's to see what I have written, he said I would be surprised. I didn't think I would be , but WOW! I was shocked to see all I keep inside.
Remember the first step is the hardest, and you asked if not drinking for a few day's is caused by alcohol, it almost alway's is. It mean's you really have to deal with this while you are so young, what it is ; Is that your body need's it! And you probally cannot stop on your own. And don't listen to people who say
" Just Don't Drink " , it is not that easy as you will see by reading other people's storie's.
That is one of the great thing's about this site, you really get to see that you are not alone.
You mentioned children, you really have to take care of you first and get healthy and then you can be a better mom, and sadly when we grow up we tend to copy our parent's coping skill's.
So just remember " YOU MATTER!!" You have made the first very hard step , you should be proud of that.
Everyone has a past , good or bad, and we all have demon's and sometime's we us anything to forget, but really it only make's us think more about it and then start to hate ourselve's and that is so sad.
Please keep reading about people trying to stop and people who have to live with it.
I wish you the best of luck. And I have said this before but it is so true!!
" WE NEVER CLOSE" usually someone is around.
Stay strong and really think about seeing someone you can talk to and whatever you say cannot be repeated. That is huge , no matter how much our familie's want to help us and love us, there are thing's we don't want them to know!
Casey
CASEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2008, 08:24 AM   #11
His Mom
Junior Member
 
Posts: 5
Default

Hi,
My Dad was an alcoholic later in life and my son is..I didn't begin to understand it until I read a book called, Dying for a Drink by Dr. Andrew Speckard. You can get it online..Amazon.com. Read it and it will help you understand what you are dealing with and motivate you to stop. Good luck. Diane
His Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2014 Addiction Survivors