Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 01-13-2008, 02:12 AM   #1
jtmom

Default shaking hands

I have been an alcoholic for the last three years on and off. Currently I consume one of the big bottles of wine every night. Lately I have begun shaking aroud lunchtime. I am wondering if this is a product of my alcoholism or something else. Does anyone have any answers for me?
jtmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2008, 02:30 AM   #2
Nadia

jtmom, please read this about alcohol withdrawals.
http://www.alcoholanswers.org/alcoho...withdrawal.cfm

Think about getting medical help. There are medications that can help with this disease.
http://www.alcoholanswers.org/treatm...-treatment.cfm

Prayers, Nadia
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2008, 12:33 AM   #3
enabler

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jtmom

I have been an alcoholic for the last three years on and off. Currently I consume one of the big bottles of wine every night. Lately I have begun shaking aroud lunchtime. I am wondering if this is a product of my alcoholism or something else. Does anyone have any answers for me?
My husband is a heavy drinker. He drinks a large bottle of wine or two bottle of champagne pretty much every night. I hope it's ok to ask you...why does he do this? I try to understand, but from my point of view he is hurting himself. It's hurting our marriage. He admits he has a problem. He feels guilty. But I don't understand why he keeps doing it. Can you please tell me how it feels? I want to understand better so I can be supportive instead of getting angry or frustrated.
enabler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2008, 01:41 AM   #4
jerryg

Withdrawal from alcohol is a serious thing. Even if there is a question, one is best off seeking medical help.
Please talk with your doctor.
Jerry
jerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2008, 02:40 AM   #5
dixie

Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome can cause the shaking of hands in long term alcoholics, I've heard. My son's hands shake a lot when he's not had a drink for a day or so but he pretty much has a constant tremor in his hands and sometimes I can see it thur his shoulders and neck and head but it's very slight. I think Jerryg gave some good advice - go see your doctor...maybe it's just too much caffeine...take care.
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2008, 03:53 PM   #6
mad1nola

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jerryg

Withdrawal from alcohol is a serious thing. Even if there is a question, one is best off seeking medical help.
Please talk with your doctor.
Jerry
Hi,

I have been drinking for about 10 years but steadily and heavily for the last 2. The other morning when I hadn't had a beer in about 5 hours I started to tremble, go into a panic attack, and felt like I was loosing the use of my arm. I thought I was dying so I went to the emergency room where they thought I had had a heart attact or stroke. I knew I was an alcoholic when they asked did I drink and how much and I lied about the amount. I drink a twelve pack a day adn yet I say 2 or three. I never owned up to my problem but someone must have known because They started getting me ativan for nerves. It's been so long since I have gone with out a drink. It has been 3 days now. I still fill like I'm in afog or that I have been drinking. Is this normal. Why dob't I feel awake and alert? and I hurt all over. I felt better drunk. But I don't ever want to do that again
mad1nola is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2008, 09:48 PM   #7
jerryg

mad1nola,
It sounds like you were withdrawing from alcohol. Ativan, Librium, and other benzodiazipenes are given to detox safely.
They knew you were lying about your intake. How are you doing now? And what are you doing about your drinking?
Jerry
Unread 01-19-2008, 09:49 PM   #8
jerryg

jtmom,
How are you doing?
Jerry
Unread 01-30-2008, 02:50 PM   #9
mad1nola

Quote:

jtmom,
How are you doing?
Jerry
Hi,

it's still hard. I have been to the ER 3 times because of debilitating panic attacks. The docs have assured me that i am not dying and that the detox should be over by now. I have chill, tremors, and anxiety attacks about 3 times a day now. I have survived each one. Logically, I know I am not dying but the feelings are so intense and seem so real at the time that I can't control them or myself. Silly me I quit smoking also so it's a double whammy. Just last night I had to go to the ER because the attack was so intense and I thought--again--I was going to die. I was truthful about my drinking and they said that I probably have any acute anxiety disorder that was being masked by my drinking. I am having some financial problems and that is what pushed me over the edge to quit drinking but I find it so difficult to cope. Now my job is in jeopardy because I haven't the guts to tell them what I am truly goign through. I am in the medical profession which makes this even more difficult for me. i have been a closeted, functional drunk for years and now I have to deal with life straight on and it terrifies me. I want to be able to wake up and not feel overwhelmed and terrified. This is exhausting. Well, I guess you are alittle tired of my pity party--thanks for caring. I'll try to keep you updated on what I doing. and I like to hear your story,if that's okay with you. By the way I have been sober for 14 days and nicotine free for 5 days.
Unread 01-30-2008, 02:53 PM   #10
mad1nola

Quote:

mad1nola,
It sounds like you were withdrawing from alcohol. Ativan, Librium, and other benzodiazipenes are given to detox safely.
They knew you were lying about your intake. How are you doing now? And what are you doing about your drinking?
Jerry
oops, I replied to the wrong message.
Unread 01-30-2008, 06:48 PM   #11
TSchmiddi

my husband gets panic attacks too every time he tries to quit. I say try, because he still thinks he can handle his addiction without help. I'm worried about his drinking AND his quitting, because withdrawl can be dangerous without medical help. He turns red in his face, his blood pressure goes up, he sweats, and has anxiety. Then a couple of days later, he starts drinking again. I'm an emotional wreck.
TSchmiddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2008, 03:33 PM   #12
mad1nola

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mad1nola

Quote:

mad1nola,
Jerry
oops, I replied to the wrong message.
I still feel lousy. I feel like part of me is missing. As far as the drinking I don't. Yesterday I went to a Mental Health Center and they recommended some places but I am really afraid to leave the house. Even when I am home I get anxious. My mind is still cloudy, I just don't feel like myself. Although, I really don't know how that feels. I want to go to a AA meeting and I am trying to make up my mind as to when. I know I had better go soon. I can't work or function right now. I don't really know if I can get through this. I thought it would get easier and I would feel better by now but I don't. I sit around thinking that I may have done so much damage to myself that I am going to drop dead any moment. So I am paralized with fear. My head starts to swoon and I start feeling all these weird sensations from my body and I just know this is the end. And it doesn't help that I want to smoke too. Should I just start back to smoking? Giving up both my friends seems too hard.
Unread 02-04-2008, 10:52 PM   #13
jerryg

I don't know what to tell you. It sounds like you need professional medical attention.
Do you have a family member to help you?
If not, it means doing what seems most uncomfortable at this time.
If you still have the info you got from the Health Center, I suggest you make use of it.

Jerry
Unread 02-06-2008, 04:47 PM   #14
mad1nola

Quote:

I don't know what to tell you. It sounds like you need professional medical attention.
Do you have a family member to help you?
If not, it means doing what seems most uncomfortable at this time.
If you still have the info you got from the Health Center, I suggest you make use of it.

Jerry
What a difference a couple of days makes. I have not had a drink in 3 weeks--yes--21 days! and I have not had a cigarette for 10 days. I don't feel like I am dying or loosing my mind or any of the hyperbolic statements I made earlier. I apologize to you and the others for my rantings. I was feeling really bad. But now I am feeling comfortable with the prospect that I am going to live a happy life without alcohol or cigarettes. I still have an occassional anxiety attack but I have come to realize that is all it is. I haven't died and I won't die (at least not today). Thank you guys for all of your help and support. Perhaps, I started this journey the wrong way, but I thank God that I started it. The pain, emotionally and physically, was excruciating and I don't advise tryin to do it alone. I have joined other groups to help me get through this maze of sobriety. It has been years since I didn't have at least one drink a day. I find my self missing the numbness but think I quickly remember what I have gone through just to get here and I suddenly don't miss it anymore. sometimes it just nice to hear how others are dealing--not to just talk about what I am going through. Hope you guys are doing great and I will keep in touch.
Unread 02-06-2008, 07:41 PM   #15
jerryg

mad1nola,

I'm happy to hear you are taking steps and you feel positive though uncomfortable at times.
That discomfort should lessen some over time but you may want to consider finding a alcohol abuse professional to talk with. So you can begin to sort things out. If you have been used to drinking daily and now you have stopped, you are in a very confusing transition. When you're drinking you learn to cope through the chemical. When you stop you have to almost relearn how to deal with stress naturally. But I don't want to discourage you, keep doing what you are doing, it's in your best interest.

Feel free to vent here, you have nothing to apologize for if you are feeling badly and afraid.
Sobriety is what you have now and you realize the benefit as well as the discomfort.
Recovery is maintaining sobriety with a conscious effort to address unresolved issues. Try some AA or a self help group of your choosing. Find someone to talk to, and deal with you anxiety.
I hope this helps, you're doing the best that you can. I am happy for you.
All the best,
Jerry
Unread 02-14-2008, 11:01 PM   #16
mad1nola

Hi,
It has been a while but I am here to brag! I am 29 days sober and feeling better than I have in a long time. The key word is [u]feeling</u>. The panic attack have turned into simple and occassional anxiety. I am able to leave the house and function as a sober person. I am reaching out more and as a consequence I am receiving more. I am not as afraid to face life as it is given to me. My only worry is now is am I progressing too quickly. I remember how terribly I feel just a week to ten days ago. I have prayed and believe intensely in the power of prayer so I credit my reactions to that. Anyway, just to others who are just starting out that there is peace in sobriety. It may not be constant but know that is on the way. I am crying now because I am full of joy. I never thought I would be able to say this. I know there will be awful days, heck I had one yesterday but I didn't for a moment think that a drink or a cigarette would make it better. and I can't forget the pain I withstood to get here. Bless you all and thank you for your encouraging words. I hope everyone is doing great.
Unread 02-15-2008, 01:22 PM   #17
Melony55

That is such great news!!! Everyday that you find other ways to deal with things, besides using alcohol your brain is healing. The more you deal with things without alcohol the easier and easier it will become (at least that's what I learned in my group)Keeping busy and finding things that make life worth living are key. Congratulations on 30 days!!
Melony[:X]
Melony55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2008, 07:07 PM   #18
SLONG

Try a daily dose of the B-1 and B12 vitamins. I've had several panic attacks and that solution helps. Also when in one try to tell yourself it's only a Panic attack I will read things like signs off the road until my hands uncleanch from their rigamortise state. Mine come on with a heavy hang over going on and the motiion of the car on the road will set it off. The first one is the scariest.
SLONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2008, 09:10 PM   #19
mad1nola

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Melony55

That is such great news!!! Everyday that you find other ways to deal with things, besides using alcohol your brain is healing. The more you deal with things without alcohol the easier and easier it will become (at least that's what I learned in my group)Keeping busy and finding things that make life worth living are key. Congratulations on 30 days!!
Melony[:X]
I have been sober 67 days and looking forward to a lifetime of sobriety. I have participated in intensive outpatient program and have attended AA. I feel great. I feel loved by myself and by others. I prayed for sobriety for sometime and now that I have it I am committed to keeping it. I am working the steps and reaching out to more and more people. It hasn't been easy but it has been worth it. Also I have had a cigarette in 58 days. When I am having cravings I really don't know which I am craving I just abstain from both. Thanks for listening and I hope someone can find something in my posting to give them hope.
Unread 03-24-2008, 05:20 PM   #20
jerryg

It is so good to hear you are staying sober. I'm am very happy for you.
Keep up the good work, and if you have a problem let us know.
And as you continue to remain sober let us know how you are doing.
All the best
Jerry
Unread 06-07-2008, 10:06 AM   #21
mad1nola

Quote:

It is so good to hear you are staying sober. I'm am very happy for you.
Keep up the good work, and if you have a problem let us know.
And as you continue to remain sober let us know how you are doing.
All the best
Jerry
Hi,
How have you been? Wow, it's been a while since I have been here and I would like to report that I remain sober! Yes, moi! Praises to God! Can you believe I was that crumpled mess nearly 5 months ago? You guys were so great and sooooo patient. My real blessing was finding this sight in my darkest hours. I have gone back to work and am thriving. It feels so good to give back to life rather than take from it. My family is really happy. Of course,they are still a little suspicious and I know that I will have to maintain my sobriety to prove that this is the realy deal--whatever it takes. I hurt the ones I love the most and I will spend the rest of my life making it up to them. They deserve it after sticking by me through all of this. I didn't realize how wonderful my kids were until now. These guys are amazing(of course I'm biased)! I thank God every day for taking care of them when I couldn't. They have grown into wonderful, productive, reasonably normal adults in spite of it all. You know you can email me sometimes, I would love to hear from you. But like I said I will keep in touch from time to time and I wish you all well. God Bless
Unread 06-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #22
Glennda

Hi mad1nola,

Well, I'm glad I came over here to see the background of your story. You HAVE come a long way in a short time! Good for you. You've done great...you should be proud. And you hit the double...cigarettes AND booze. You don't mess around, do you? When you decide to follow through, you jump right in!

I couldn't be happier for you. Your new sober life will present you with great opportunities and the chance to help others along the way. It's a wonderful way to live...but you know that already, don't you? Congratulations again and please keep coming back to give us updates.

Take care,
Glennda
Glennda is offline   Reply With Quote