Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 10-14-2007, 04:51 PM   #1
gypsygrl

Default Do I need Help?

Hi there
Im really not sure If I am an alcoholic. Im reaching out for help because this is my umteenth attempt at abstaining from alcohol. Im a 27 year old daughter of an alcoholic who died last year because he could not stop drinking. I have several other family members who are addicts of one or more substance. I am very afraid that I am on that same path. I started Binge drinking in college, blacking out regularly and doing lots of things i am not proud of. Now that i am out of college I have found a way to justify my drinking by saying tons of people my same age do it. But i dont think they drink as much as I do. I cure hangovers with more booze and I sneak drinks when noone is watching. I stopped drinking for 6 months when my father passed swearing off booze forever. then i started drinking champagne, then beer, then booze again. My sister moved in with me a few months ago and we both drink regularly. we can take out a bottle between us in a few hours. Last week things came to an all time low when i was so drunk for three days straight that I had to actually call in sick at work because I could not function. I finished off an entire bottle of whiskey each day..by myself! I had the shakes and could not sleep and was ready to go to a doctor for something. I hate who I am when i drink. Im careless and lazy and cruel, im downright mean when i drink and thats not me. thats the booze. I am afraid to go to an AA meeting especially because I am not religious. My dad went through AA several times. I flip through his book sometimes and it makes sense but it did not help him. I would like some sort of private counseling but I dont want to do it through work and risk the chance of my coworkers finding out. any suggestions?
gypsygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2007, 08:24 PM   #2
SLynn

gypsygrl

Hello and welcome! The first thing I want you to do is read this link, if you havn't alredy while looking at this site:

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/alcoho...ence-abuse.cfm

It can give you a category that you fall in as far as the drinking goes, as it may not always be clear. It really sounds like you are alcohol dependent and should get help as soon as you can.

Counseling is a great way to start and nobody has to know. Worse case senario, they find out, they don't have to know it's for alcohol specifically. I'm sure there is an underlying cause and it's not like you would be dishonest. If you have insurance, find out who you can see on your plan and give them a call. You may even need to see more than one until you find one you gel with, but who knows. You won't know until you try it out, right?

I'm concerned about your sister, too. It'll be hard to live in the same house with your sister if she does not get help along with you. Does she think she has a problem? Does she think you have a problem? The good thing is that there are lots of options out there for you these days.

You have done a big step already by coming here. It's just a step, though, and the beginning of a lot of work ahead of you. I'm proud to see you here.

Stacey
SLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2007, 08:34 PM   #3
gypsygrl

No my sister does not think either of us has "a problem" she knows we drink too much because weve talked about it but i dont think she wants to get help.
Unread 10-14-2007, 08:55 PM   #4
SLynn

It will be hard, but in the end you can only help yourself.

Are you going to call for therapist or counselor appointment? I'm hoping so. There are so many options, as I said before, and you can stop this disesase before it claims one more day of your life. So many people wait until they have had an illness, DUI etc..before they think about getting help. If you've read any of the other stories here, you will see even then it may not be accepted. Learn from your family mistakes and outcomes. Let me know how I can help.

Stacey
Unread 10-14-2007, 09:16 PM   #5
gypsygrl

im going to start looking at counseling options tommorow. I cant really take time off work to go do it so it might be hard. but well see. i need to make this right.
Unread 10-14-2007, 09:45 PM   #6
SLynn

Glad to hear that! You never know, some may see you on an evening or weekend appointment. I find that they really try to work with you. Please let me know what happens, OK?

Stacey
Unread 10-15-2007, 03:26 PM   #7
CASEY

Hi GypsyGrl,
Hi , glad to hear you are looking for a Therapist to talk to , I myself do not find mysel a relious person, more spritual person.
I have a Therapist and he does anything he can do to make an appt. to see him.
I found him by looking around, Don't be discouraged if the first doesn't work out, I had to go to 4 until I found someone I like, and that really matter's, remember you are there for you. Sometime's people just don't click, but never give up. You have made the first step, admitting there is a problem, Congradulation's!
I wish you the best!
Casey
CASEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 10:31 PM   #8
SLynn

Gypsygrl

How are things going this week? Have you found a therapist? Keep me updated when you can. Hope you are ok.

Stacey
Unread 10-30-2007, 05:09 PM   #9
JaneDoe

gypsygrl, did you get counseling? I'm starting on my 3rd month of the Vivatrol shot and counseling. It's hard looking inwards and getting to the route of the problem, but on the flip side, it is so rewarding not to have alcohol controlling me any more.

I wish you well and hope you have the success I have had.
JaneDoe is offline   Reply With Quote