Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 11-06-2015, 08:09 PM   #1
Mommy2

Smile I'm new in here.

I'm new in here and I've been sober for 4 weeks now. Trying to find some support other than AA meetings. I stayed sober for 7 months and then went back of course. Just trying to stay sober for me and my family.
Mommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Mommy2 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-07-2015)
Unread 11-06-2015, 08:23 PM   #2
Mommy2

Smile I'm new in here.

Hey everyone. I'm new in here and be been sober again for the ump-teeth time. I'm a mom of 2, married to a wonderful guy, have a great family. Just battling demons and trying to find support other than AA. I've tried it and I just didn't like the meetings. Had a DWI when I was 21 and been battling ever since. I hope to meet some new people and have some support other than the family from people that are dealing with the same things that I am.
Thank You (11-07-2015)
Unread 11-06-2015, 08:28 PM   #3
Alexis

Hey welcome to the site, you will find lots of support here Hope you are having a good day! x
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Alexis For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-07-2015)
Unread 11-06-2015, 09:14 PM   #4
R. Lee

Mommy2, Welcome to the site. Why don't you start your own thread?

Congratulations on 4 weeks sober!! Yep I did the 7 months twice & then 4 months without drinking. I always went back out drinking. I had given up. There was no way I could go the rest of my life with out drinking so I quit trying for 20 years. A total of 42 years of drinking. Then I had the courage to give it another try. I heard all you have to do is do this 1 day at a time. I stay in today. I would like to never drink again but I can't go there it is just too much to comprehend.

So its 1 day at a time. You can do this so tell us more about yourself on your thread.
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-07-2015), Thank You (11-07-2015)
Unread 11-06-2015, 09:18 PM   #5
R. Lee

Mommy2, I posted a welcome under your post for hawkfan. Now I see that you have your own thread.
Unread 11-06-2015, 10:31 PM   #6
NancyB
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Lee View Post
Mommy2, I posted a welcome under your post for hawkfan. Now I see that you have your own thread.
Hi, I moved both posts from hawkfan's thread to this one so they'd be all together.

Welcome Mommy2!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-07-2015)
Unread 11-07-2015, 10:38 AM   #7
Mommy2

Good Morning.

I've had a headache for almost 2 days now. I don't know if it's wirhdrawal or what but I haven't had anything to drink either. This didn't happen last time. I just hurt really badly. Question: has anyone been on medicine to help with the addiction? I'm in on antidepressant and I think it's helping it just makes me drowsy.
Thank You (11-07-2015)
Unread 11-07-2015, 11:09 AM   #8
Alexis

how long have you been on antidepressants? when you start them they can have some side effects, head aches, feeling sick & tired etc.

Sounds silly but make sure you keep hydrated, lots of water and fresh food. x
Thank You (11-07-2015)
Unread 11-07-2015, 11:11 AM   #9
lostdog

Hi Mommy2 , welcome and I hope you are having a nice day today, just take one day at a time.
lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to lostdog For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-07-2015)
Unread 11-07-2015, 11:31 AM   #10
R. Lee

Mommy2, Headache probably part of the withdraw. The longer we drink the harder the complications are. Withdraw can be dangerous. Drink lots of water, eat candy for the sugar & watch yourself.

Be proud of your sobriety. Have a great day. You are a winner.
Thank You (11-07-2015), Thank You (11-07-2015)
Unread 11-07-2015, 01:29 PM   #11
Mommy2

Thumbs up

Alexis,

I've been on antidepressants on and off for a decade or so. It's helping me with the not drinking too. I think I just have a really bad migraine. I wish it wasn't so. I haven't had one in 4 months or so. Ugh. I hurt. I just want to roll up in a ball and close my eyes. It feels better when I apply pressure to my head tho.

Thanks for all the support!!! I really appreciate it!
Thank You (11-07-2015)
Unread 11-07-2015, 01:45 PM   #12
Tryntryagain

Good evening Mommy2. Bright blessings to you.

I apologise for not welcoming you sooner. Busy times in dear ole Blighty!

Welcome Mommy2. 4 weeks into sobriety is no mean feat. Would i be right in thinking that means you have made your decision already and here you can find the support you want to stay stopped?

If you drank 88 bottles of booze a day, or if you haven't touched it for 88 years, we are all the very same. Sharing our lives, our worries and anxiety's helps us share our addiction to alcohol, and empowers us to find our own pathways out of it.

Gosh.....doesn't that sound easy!!

Thank you so much for trusting us. I am sure you will know that infact the thanks for the support is all yours. To share here is to give us so very much.

I look forward to hearing about your journey when it helps you.

Be peaceful, be healthy and be strong. Loveness to you Mommy2
Tryntryagain is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Tryntryagain For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-07-2015)
Unread 11-07-2015, 01:52 PM   #13
iamtrying

Mommy2 - Welcome to the group...

I would suggest eating candies and cookies, to get that sugar body is cravings in place of drinks, can manage headache...but if it continues..you should call on-call nurse (which will be free) or see doc.

Congrats! on taking step towards right direction....take it one day at a time...
iamtrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2015, 10:56 PM   #14
SecretTiger

Welcome!

I also did 7 months before. I wonder why we all manage that far...

One of the things that really hit me was reading RLee talking about being a "dry drunk" meaning you don't drink but don't really change habits and thinking properly to seek sustainable sobriety. He can explain it a lot better than me!
SecretTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2015, 07:56 AM   #15
Mommy2

Been up since 5 this morning. Can't sleep. Still have that migraine. Trying black coffee this time. I just got a new app called chipper on my phone that keeps track of my sobriety. I have to say that this is really helping me to REALLY stay on track this time. I'm proud of myself as are my husband and my kids.

Thank you again!
2 Users Say Thank You to Mommy2 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-08-2015), Thank You (11-08-2015)
Unread 11-08-2015, 08:26 AM   #16
Tryntryagain

Good morning Mommy2. Bright blessings to you.

I do not know if this is of any help or indeed this may be happening for you. I have been in a rehab or 2 over my time and 3 things happened to me in the very early days. (First 2-4 weeks). At first i simply could not sleep, then by whole body would come up in rashes....from head to toe, (toxins coming out of my body) and i had a splitting headache everyday for a good week or two.

Obviously i urge you to get these migraines checked out with your Dr, yet it is very common for those turning away from alcohol to have a short period of time where "the body and mind" need that little bit of time to re-adjust. I hope this is the case for you.

Isn't pride in such a massive achievement a really nice place to be?

Well done you.

Thank You (11-08-2015)
Unread 11-08-2015, 08:45 AM   #17
Alexis

Hey hope you managed to get a little sleep last night?

Im pleased you feel proud, you definitely should!! I had migraines a few months ago and the doctor said my blood pressure was high, and that stress was making them worse. Can you give yourself some time to relax, do you meditate? walk? read? all good things to do for yourself.

Thinking of you!

x
2 Users Say Thank You to Alexis For This Useful Post:
Unread 11-08-2015, 11:22 AM   #18
Mommy2

Hi all. I think my migraine is finally gone. I think the black coffee did the trick. I thank you for all the advice. Thinking of everyone. It's cold here in NY! Hello Fall!

Xoxo
Unread 11-08-2015, 11:59 AM   #19
R. Lee

Mommy2, Glad the headache is gone. Think through that next urge to drink.

Have a great day.
Thank You (11-08-2015), Thank You (11-09-2015)
Unread 11-08-2015, 02:22 PM   #20
lostdog

caffeine helps. Hope you have a good day.
2 Users Say Thank You to lostdog For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-08-2015), Thank You (11-09-2015)
Unread 11-08-2015, 03:21 PM   #21
jenm

Hi Mommy2!

Sorry for my belated - welcome!! I'm thrilled to hear that you are sober and I'm happy to hear your headache is better.

Seriously - for me, sugar and sweets are a huge help. Physically and emotionally. I eat ice cream almost everyday. In moderation? For me, not so much right now. I'm grateful that I teach fitness and exercise probably 6 days a week, a couple of hours at time, or I would have probably put on many pounds by now.

I don't believe that it is an accident that people find their way here. Some pop in and leave immediately, and some of us hang around for years. It is a great place here where there is no judgment, and I am so very grateful for that. Take care!! Jenm
jenm is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to jenm For This Useful Post:
Unread 11-08-2015, 08:54 PM   #22
Mommy2

Well - had family night at my parents house. Mom, my sisters, and my husband were drinking. I didn't even have the urge. Talking about it definitely helps. Everyone is encouraging at the moment (parents and sisters). Taking the antidepressant and having this support group is a major help. As you can see, I've logged on every free moment I have had - and thanks for those welcomes!!!! I really appreciate it. If you don't know how it feels to go through this it is definitely hard on the other side. (Family wise).

Well thanks again. Talk to you guys in the AM!
Unread 11-08-2015, 09:35 PM   #23
Tryntryagain

Good evening Mommy2. Bright blessings to you.

I am really happy that the here and now is working for you and you are enjoying it.

I hear you family wise.

R Lee taught me if i stayed "me wise"...family wise would follow.

I hope you are gaining lots of strength from your journey, I can tell after just a short time, the fight you have within you.

Such a new energy in the family/forum. helps us all so much.

Thank you.

Thank You (11-09-2015)
Unread 11-08-2015, 09:58 PM   #24
R. Lee

Mommy2, Stay strong. King Alcohol is very patient.
Thank You (11-09-2015), Thank You (11-09-2015)
Unread 11-08-2015, 11:15 PM   #25
gmasusie

Mommy2, Welcome! I'm with Jenm, now addicted to daily ice cream fix! It's better than alcohol. Some prefer fruit or fruit juices, candy, or donuts. The liver does like its sugar! I was lucky like you, my family was all supportive. We will be too. We look forward to learning more about you.

Susie
gmasusie is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Say Thank You to gmasusie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-09-2015), Thank You (11-09-2015), Thank You (11-09-2015)
Unread 11-09-2015, 09:32 AM   #26
Tryntryagain

Good afternoon Mommy2. Bright blessings to you.

How are you getting along?

I was just wandering along, my whistling surely drowned out by this dear ole Blighty wind, and thought i wonder how you were feeling?

Dear Susie was agreeing with Jenm that all manner of fruit juices, fruit by its very self, Candy, (sweeties in dear ole Blighty. Candy hangs out under red lights if you get my drift)....i just happened to notice that "fruit cake" was not a part of that rather delicious menu.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Unread 11-09-2015, 09:59 AM   #27
Mommy2

Tryntryagain,

Thank you. I'm doing very well. I found that Diet Pepsi helps me through this tough time. And I know you'd appreciate this - I rediscovered my love of tea!!! I have at least 2 cups a morning.

I'm trying to keep up on the house, trying to find a job, as living in New York is very very hard and tiring to stay here with the family is very hard too. Especially when the work (my husband is an electrician) slows down during the winter months.

Thank you for the encouraging words.

Xoxo
Thank You (11-09-2015)
Unread 11-09-2015, 04:23 PM   #28
Millie

Hi Mommy2! Tea replaced wine for me in the evenings, and does a great job of it. Freud would have a ball with this, but it seems that just having something warm and comforting there to take a sip of can keep the urges at bay to a pretty good degree.

I've always loved tea, but now I have an entire shelf of different kinds in my cupboard.
Millie is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to Millie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-09-2015), Thank You (11-09-2015)
Unread 11-09-2015, 04:51 PM   #29
Mommy2

Millie,

Thanks for the idea of wine at night. I might try it but I don't want to stay up all night. I have trouble going to sleep and staying asleep.

Xoxo
Unread 11-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #30
Millie

I'm assuming you meant tea and not wine? I certainly wasn't suggesting that.

I drink herbal tea in the evenings, chamomile or Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime (sometimes even the kind with valerian), or peppermint. Nothing with caffeine. I do usually have to get up once a night, but still beats a headache in the morning!
Unread 11-09-2015, 07:32 PM   #31
Mommy2

Millie,

Yes I meant tea not wine. Lol. I'guess I had a little moment. I've been doing good so far. I just want to keep it up.

Thanks!
Unread 11-09-2015, 07:48 PM   #32
Millie

I have trouble staying asleep too. Getting to sleep is fine with a crossword and being in bed for a while before lights out (and no TV). But staying asleep... ugh. Still working on that one. Deep breath counting exercises can help sometimes.

Anyway, glad you're doing good so far. You can do this.
2 Users Say Thank You to Millie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-10-2015), Thank You (11-09-2015)
Unread 11-09-2015, 08:46 PM   #33
gmasusie

Ah, yes, Freud's oral gratification! I wonder what he would say about chocolate chip mint ice cream with choc. syrup?
2 Users Say Thank You to gmasusie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-09-2015), Thank You (11-10-2015)
Unread 11-09-2015, 10:55 PM   #34
SecretTiger

I've found that since I haven't been drinking I sleep less, but better. When I was drinking I could fall asleep but I guess it wasn't good quality sleep because I tended to feel tired all day.

Exercising on a regular basis and keeping properly hydrated also seems to work wonders for me.
SecretTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to SecretTiger For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-10-2015), Thank You (11-10-2015)
Unread 11-10-2015, 09:40 AM   #35
Mommy2

Good morning all! Haven't had the urge today but it is only 8:38 according to my iPad. Every time I dive by the beer distributor or I see advertised $1 beers I'm like, "just one" but then. I know I won't stop at 1. It has to be over the top for me. I don't want to ruin all the work that I have done so far. It's hard. It's a struggle. But if it was easy everyone would do it right?

Enjoy the morning!

Xoxo
Unread 11-10-2015, 10:02 AM   #36
Alexis

You are doing really great so good to see you posting as well. Yeah im the same, struggle with 'just one'

Have a great day!

ps. YES Tea!!! tea tea tea! haha
Thank You (11-10-2015)
Unread 11-10-2015, 11:15 AM   #37
gmasusie

When the urge strikes you, think of the most embarrassing, horrible experience you have had with alcohol to remind you how far you've come and why you don't want to go back to drinking. Good luck. We are here for you.
2 Users Say Thank You to gmasusie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-10-2015), Thank You (11-10-2015)
Unread 11-10-2015, 11:19 AM   #38
R. Lee

Mommy2, It will get easier as you get more sober time.

Think through that 1st. drink.

Have a great day.
One User Says Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-10-2015)
Unread 11-15-2015, 10:05 AM   #39
Mommy2

Good morning. Been a good weekend so far. I officially hit my 30 day mark! have a lot of stuff to do today. Besides Football. Lol. Still sorting through toys to organize for Christmas and birthdays and the new year. Yes, I am already thinking about 2016. Well, have a good day everyone.
Thank You (11-15-2015)
Unread 11-15-2015, 11:54 AM   #40
R. Lee

Mommy2, Congratulations on 30 days of sobriety.

Keep up the hard work.

Have a great day.
Thank You (11-15-2015)
Unread 11-15-2015, 12:17 PM   #41
lostdog

Congrats! 30 days is awesome!
One User Says Thank You to lostdog For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-15-2015)
Unread 11-15-2015, 12:42 PM   #42
gmasusie

Celebrations! Congratulations! Stick around, so we can continue to celebrate with you.
One User Says Thank You to gmasusie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-15-2015)
Unread 11-15-2015, 02:57 PM   #43
Mommy2

I will definitely be sticking around. I have to tell you guys something - it's pretty ironic. I was laying in bed at about 8:15 last night watching tv and winding down, when I realized I forgot my medicine. You know what reminded me to take it? A Woodbridge by Robert Mondavi commercial. How ironic? A wine commercial reminded me to take it. I guess I'm stronger than I anticipated.
Thank You (11-15-2015), Thank You (11-15-2015)
Unread 11-16-2015, 12:08 AM   #44
gmasusie

Great!
Thank You (11-16-2015)
Unread 11-16-2015, 05:11 AM   #45
Tryntryagain

Good morning Mommy2. Bright blessings to you.

Congratulations!! It really does get more consistently easier as time goes by. You should be well chuffed with yourself!

1 day at a time.

Thank You (11-16-2015)
Unread 11-16-2015, 11:02 AM   #46
R. Lee

Stay strong Mommy2.

Have a great day.
Thank You (11-16-2015)
Unread 11-16-2015, 01:28 PM   #47
Mommy2

Great news!! I just got call for an interview with my children's school! Which is AWESOMW because I would have the same schedule as they have! I'm so happy!!!!!!
Thank You (11-16-2015), Thank You (11-16-2015)
Unread 11-16-2015, 03:06 PM   #48
gmasusie

Congratulations! 30 days of sobriety and an interview to boot! Good luck. We are thinking of you.
Thank You (11-16-2015)
Unread 11-16-2015, 04:51 PM   #49
Millie

Good for you, and congrats on the interview! Break a leg!
One User Says Thank You to Millie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-16-2015)
Unread 11-16-2015, 10:41 PM   #50
jenm

Good things happen when we stay in today, don't take a drink, and do the next right thing that is in front of us to do.

Things still suck sometimes, too, but nothing is worth drinking over. Ever. Let us know how it goes! Jenm
jenm is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to jenm For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-17-2015), Thank You (11-17-2015)