Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 10-27-2008, 04:53 PM   #1
ann1544

Question new with questions

I am a social drinker and always have been. My new thing is being stressed out and reaching for wine..I go from zero to 100 about once every two months, that is when I binge drink. My husband is really upset with me after this happens..even though it happens infrequently I still think I need to address the issue. My question is what do I do? I really do not feel I am an alcoholic but there are random times when my alcohol use becomes unhealthy. has anyone ever experienced this and if so how did you achieve a healthier relationship with alcohol. Again, I dont drink everyday or ever weekend but the occassions where I have binged need to be addressed.. Please help! Thank you!
ann1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2008, 07:14 PM   #2
angie21

Hi Ann~
First I just want to say that you have already done something towards figuring your situation out: you found this forum and opened up. As far as your situation, I can relate because that's how I started, but then for me it DID become every weekend. I really don't know what to tell you, but one thing that I think helped me is to find someone you trust and can talk to about stress you are having rather than grabbing that glass of wine, even though it seems to taste so much better when stressed... Since it seems to upset your husband, and obviously you care about his feelings, you could talk to him...??? Having a drink once in a while is okay, if you aren't an alcoholic, but if you start to find that you can't have just one--that's when to look for serious help. Hopefully I've helped a little bit & I'll keep you in my thoughts & prayers! Good luck and I hope to hear an update soon
~Angie
angie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2008, 07:32 PM   #3
ann1544

Thank you Angie! I appreciate everthing you have said I am ready to change...Even though this doesnt happen alot it is still a problem hence I am staying alone in a hotel and no one else thinks I have a problem but my husband so I am getting no support from him at all. I have not seen him in 5 days and it will be 7 days by the time I see him because he will be going on a business trip to avoid me...
ann1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
angie21

I'm sorry to hear that you are alone in a hotel room with no support...For me that would be very hard to be alone and left to my own devices. If you don't mind me asking, have you considered going and seeking therapy? Not just for alcohol, but stress management possibly? I know how much my counselor has helped me through things that I thought I could never even talk about without having to drink to drown the pain or stress. If finding a therapist is out of the question, the other thing that I have known to help is to go to like a priest or clergyman, that's free which is always nice. Well, I hope you stay connected on here, I'll be thinking of you!
~Angie
Unread 10-27-2008, 11:44 PM   #5
CarlyO

Hi Ann and welcome to the forum !

Angie has already given you some great feedback and support.
I wanted to add some links that may be helpful for you. I also provided some other links specifically about binge drinking, from older posts that Slynn had posted information about. This has been addressed here before - you are not alone with this.

Some of the things to consider with alcohol issues is what effect is it having on your life: Relationships, health, job, how do you feel after a binge? This site has a great deal of helpful information so maybe you could read it, give yourself time to process it and ask questions.
IMO , you need to explore other ways of handling stress, would you be willing to see a counselor/ therapist , one on one to explore healthier ways of managing stress. I know there are times when we want a Release from stress and we choose the quickest , easiest route, but that is not always the best way to handle it.

I hope after you learn about what is going on with your binges and the stress that your husband will be more open, understanding and supportive. He needs to be educated as well.
Hang in there and keep us posted on how you are doing. Take care, Carly

Links .... I hope this helps : )

http://www.alcoholanswers.org/alcoho...-questions.cfm

http://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/quickstat...e_drinking.htm

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/binge/Binge_Drinking.htm

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/binge/Binge_Drinking.htm

http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...Binge+drinking
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 09:59 PM   #6
CarlyO

Hi Ann ,

I wanted to say hi and checking to see how you are doing. I hope all is going well. Take care, Carly
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
CarlyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2008, 01:16 PM   #7
angie21

Hi Ann~ Haven't heard from you in a while so I was just checking in to see how you are doing? Let us know, when you can Take Care~Angie