Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 11-14-2007, 09:42 PM   #1
Anna Marie

Default Need Support

I am going thru with drawal symtems. After binge drinking for 4 days. I feel quite like crap. My poor husband, I don't know why I put him thru so much pain and also my kids. I abuse alcohol, use excuses to drink, getting jealous of my husband of 20 years. I 'm getting sick and tired of being sick and tired. I believe my husband is at his wits end and so are my kids. I grew up in a non drinking home, but most of my family has alcohol problems. I hide my drinking from my siblings and pretend that I don't have a problem. I am at a situation with my husband, where he just wants to move out. But I need him to support me mentally and I don't know what to do. I have tried AA, Rational Recovery, but never really put a whole bunch of effort into it. I guess I'm just looking for encouragement. I'm really in pain....
Anna Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2007, 11:48 PM   #2
jerryg

You say you binge drink, how long between binges?

You have tried AA and RR did you learn anything from those experiences that you can make use of now?

Let me encourage you to heed your own honest post.
Read it over and listen to what you are saying to yourself.
It's time to stop drinking.
You are in pain.
Click around the Alcohol Answers site.

What do you think?

Jerry

jerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2007, 12:06 AM   #3
SLynn

Anna Marie

I'd like to know a little more about your drinking pattern, too. Tell us about your drinking pattern and what leads you to drink, if anything.

You have so many options available as long as you are willing to do some work. It's not at all uncommon to hide this disease as it carries so much of a stigma but yet, so accepted at the same time. I'm sorry for your husband, too, because it's so hard to sit back and watch someone you love go through this.

You have to make some decisions and get agressive with your illness and only then can you begin to repair what's been done to your family. How can they trust your desire to quit if you don't show them you are serious??

Therapy or counseling is a great way to start, if you haven't already. Find someone you really mesh well with. It won't always be the first one you meet, but keep trying if that's the case. Other options are medication assisted therapy. Here are a couple links:
http://www.alcoholanswers.org/treatm...-treatment.cfm

We've had a few members do well with medications. Here is a link to one great story, in case you haven't read it yet.
http://www.alcoholanswers.org/forum/...sp?TOPIC_ID=17

I know you are in pain and it's so difficult when you can't stop yourself from causing it. There is hope and there are methods of treatment you may benefit from. I hope you find this site beneficial and please use it to it's potential.

Stacey

SLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2007, 12:11 AM   #4
Anna Marie

Last time was about three weeks ago. I will look around the alcohol answers site. I haven't had a drink today, I don't feel quite right. I will not have a drink. I'm just afraid that I will do this again and just need encouragement. I just need to look at what I'm doing to my life. I love my husband and don't want to lose him over alcohol. It just that once I get started I sometimes have a hard time stopping. Like a monster takes over and I become irrational and out of control. I am normally a pretty easy going, happy and try to make smart choices, but when it comes to alcohol I have trouble. I will have to try Rational Recovery again, I don't like the AA setting, so I wouldn't go that route. Anyone here tried Rational Recovery? What do you think of it? My husband read it to me and we've tried some of the mental excersises, but I know it takes lots of work to make a program work for oneself. Thank you for the support, I feel alone and out of sorts.
Anna Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2007, 09:38 AM   #5
SLynn

Anna Marie

I don't have any personal experience with Rational Recovery but maybe someone else may come along who does. However, no matter the route you choose, it's going to be a lot of work. There are no easy ways out....I don't say that to discourage you but for you to find the strength to commit to whatever work it's going to take. Have you tried therapy?

Stacey
SLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2007, 04:01 AM   #6
jerryg

Try Rational Recovery. It has a method and structure.
You learn how your mind works. And with that knowledge amend your thoughts.
Rational Recovery does not expect you to be completely abstinent to engage its program.
Though it clearly stresses the reality that you need to stop drinking

And it is unapologetically oppositional to the AA 12 Step process.

No matter what course you take, you need to be committed to not drinking.

Learn to be honest and gentle with yourself.

I heard someone say that the true self is not destroyed by the use of chemicals...
...yet it surely lays waste to its means of expression.

Good night,
Jerry
Unread 11-16-2007, 04:13 AM   #7
jerryg

Here ya go...

http://www.rational.org/html_public_...structure.html