Addiction Survivors

Unread 10-28-2016, 01:15 PM   #1
dontbotherme

Post My family just doesn't get it!!

Hello everyone, my name is Aimee and I am an addict. I actually have 2 DOC's: heroin & crack/cocaine. I haven't touched an opiate in almost 4 years with help from MMT (Methadone) and the last time I used cocaine was June 12, 2014. So, naturally I am extremely proud of myself. I have some family members who seem to think my sobriety this far does not count b/c "I only switched addictions (meaning the Methadone). My sister even told me one time last month that she can't be totally impressed until I get off the Methadone too. My family is constantly asking me if/when I'll get off of it. While I know I will eventually have to stop....the I thought of not having it anymore simply terrifies me. Not just the withdrawal I face but that without the Methadone I will leave myself more vulnerable to a relapse. I've come a REALLY LONG way over the past few years; I've regained custody of my two beautiful children; fell in love with a WONDERFUL man; and moved into a place of my own. I don't know if I could've done any of it without the Methadone, but that doesn't matter, cuz I did it. Why can't my family see this??
dontbotherme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2016, 01:57 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi dontbotherme, welcome. It appears that those family members may not understand addiction. Maybe this link will help - even though buprenorphine is the medication, it can be swapped out with methadone:

Is buprenorphine treatment just trading one addiction for another?
http://www.naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm?ID=1

This is another good link explaining what addiction is:
http://www.hbo.com/addiction/underst...addiction.html

If you were addicted to methadone, you would be displaying addictive behavior - uncontrollable, compulsive behavior despite negative consequences. Obviously that is not the case since you regained custody of your children!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2016, 08:32 AM   #3
MattC42286

Hi dontbotherme! Some older folks are set in their ways no matter who or what happens. Continue doing you and living your lofe to the best of your ability and as long as you are not dependant on rhem for anything then there should be no issue! Good lick to tou friend and take care!! -Matt
MattC42286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2017, 06:05 AM   #4
Day2day

Hang in there dontbotherme. My family was somewhat the same way, but things are soooo much better with us now that I am on my program.
Day2day is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Day2day For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-03-2017)
Unread 01-30-2017, 12:06 AM   #5
LillyPad

You have come a really long way and you should be proud of yourself for that! As hard as it has been for you to get to this point, it's been hard for your family too. Keep doing what your doing--working hard and staying clean--and they will eventually see the change as well.
LillyPad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2017, 06:47 PM   #6
chris8780

I have been struggling with addiction for the last 10 years of my life. I am now 27. It really started when I was a teenager. I thought maybe it was just a phase that a lot of young people went thru. Everything became real when I needed opiates just to feel normal. Rehab didn't work for me I did the 12 steps numerous times throughout my years but I always fell back to opiates. When I found SUBOXONE, for the first time in years I felt like my old self. I had a personality again. My life was stable.

But here is my new struggle. My family doesn't understand that this medication is what helps me stay straight. They believe I am trading one addiction for another. I only told my brother thus far because I fear what my father will say. There is such a stigma attached to anything addiction related.
I don't know if I should even tell my parents that I am on this medication. How can I make them understand that because of SUBOXONE I have been able to be the father, son, husband, man that I tried so hard to be in the past bit couldn't.
chris8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2017, 08:15 PM   #7
NancyB
Administrator

Hi chris8780, the best answer is education. Do you think they will listen and want to learn?

The first post in this thread has a bunch of educational links:
http://addictionsurvivors.org/vbulle...ad.php?t=21609

Especially this one:
"Is buprenorphine treatment just trading one addiction for another?"
http://www.naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm?ID=1

What did you older brother say, is he supportive?

Realistically, there is no reason to tell your parents if they won't be supportive. What medication YOU take is your business, your doctor's business and anyone you choose to tell. If someone isn't going to be supportive of your decision to opt for medication for a medical condition (addiction), then, in my opinion, don't tell them.

You're doing this so that you can 'be the father, son, husband, man that I tried so hard to be in the past bit couldn't.' I think that is what matters most.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2017, 10:55 AM   #8
MattC42286

Hi Dontbotherme!! I'm almost willing to bet that they have never been through some form of addiction. Anyone with knowledge on the subject would be absolutely impressed! Keep doing what you are doing hope everything works out for you! God bless! -Matt
MattC42286 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to MattC42286 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-22-2017)