Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 09-29-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
rpriddy

Default home for alcoholics

are there services for alcoholics to simply keep on drinking - those who don't want to stop, but because of their disease can't take care of themselves during drinking routines?
rpriddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2007, 02:15 PM   #2
jerryg

I am not sure what it is you're asking. I understand, but I am not clear on how to respond. Can you offer a little more context?

jerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2007, 02:31 PM   #3
rpriddy

Yes, people dying from other diseases have hospice. Do dying alcoholics have resources - services to support their alcoholism and eventual death.
Unread 09-29-2007, 09:36 PM   #4
CASEY

rpriddy,
I am guessing what your asking is there a place for someone who is going to die due to severe alcohol abuse. I have never heard of one, and being a Cancer survivor myself, they are two completly different problem's.
People can stop drinking w/help and resources, but noone can control Cancer.
I hope if you are writing and need help , you could let us all know a little about
you and maybe we can offer you some solution's, remember the best thing about this site is we don't know each other, so no one judge's , we just try to help!
I wish you luck!
Casey
CASEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2007, 05:28 PM   #5
rpriddy

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CASEY

rpriddy,
I am guessing what your asking is there a place for someone who is going to die due to severe alcohol abuse. I have never heard of one, and being a Cancer survivor myself, they are two completly different problem's.
People can stop drinking w/help and resources, but noone can control Cancer.
I hope if you are writing and need help , you could let us all know a little about
you and maybe we can offer you some solution's, remember the best thing about this site is we don't know each other, so no one judge's , we just try to help!
I wish you luck!
Casey
Unread 09-30-2007, 05:34 PM   #6
rpriddy

Casey,
Thanks and yes, I am speaking of a relative who is destined to die from the comorbidities of alcoholism. He had controllable days and uncontrollable ones, but after each drinking bout, his health status diminishes a bit further. I was wondering if there was some support mechanism that is based on accepting the inevitable. I may see the relationship between cancer and alcoholism a bit differently. Each is a disease, not a choice, and each has treatment options. Those options may or may not be successful. However, with either, if you elect to forego treatment, the outcome is likely the same. There are some execptions with oncology at certain sites, but those are the exception. With alcoholism, I don't believe there are exceptions - it will kill you. It seem unfortunate that alcoholism is treated as more of a "choice," therefore alcoholics are constantly forced to be in some state of recover.
Unread 09-30-2007, 05:38 PM   #7
rpriddy

sorry for the typos, I'm typing while eating.
Unread 10-02-2007, 08:36 PM   #8
CASEY

rpriddy,

I am not comparing alcohol to cancer, that is what I felt your letter sounded like. My Uncle who I loved dearly died of alcohol abuse, My Father his older brother did everthing he could . But my uncle in the end chose his own way, when he died it broke my father's heart, he felt guilt but he knew he did everything he could, we can only help to a point, and then they need to want it. My uncle's biggest excuse is; I am going to die anyway, but like his doctor's told him everyday without a drink the liver can heal itself a little at a time , and maybe if he listened we would still have him around.
I miss him very much as does my Dad, but everybody has "FREE WILL">
Good Luck,
Casey
CASEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2007, 01:11 AM   #9
Stacey

I just want to chime in here and say that Hospice treats the terminally ill, not just those with cancer. The 'rule' they go by is a physician stating that their illness gives them six months or less to live without any treatment for curative measures only palliative. Does this person have cirrhosis or other drinking related comorbities? It may be worth while to give them a call and see. As far as them providing alcohol, that would be another question to ask. I'm interested in what you find out.

Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Stacey
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2007, 12:14 PM   #10
rpriddy

Stacey, Thanks. He has some liver disease, as does most any alcoholic and he's had a couple of minor strokes, but nothing predictably terminal.