Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 01-21-2006, 08:30 AM   #1
WdlwnMJP16

Default New To Suboxone going to start treatment in 2 days

Hi my name is Mike and I am from buffalo NY i am a 16 year old heroin addict. Myself along with my fellow using buddies are all to are rock bottom and are going into suboxone therapy. 2 of my friends are already on the sub's and I am going to go see the doctor in 2 days. I use about 3-4 bags of heroin a day and on weekends even more. I have been on opiates for about 2 years such as lortab\ fentanyl patches and OC's. It takes my about 20 Lortab 10's to get my off at this point. I have tried many things such as inpatient and outpatient counceling.NOTHING HAS WORKED FOR ME. Despite the fact that I have been arrested three times due to my drug use either actions or being under the influence I still continue to use. I am also in drug court and NEED to get clean or I am going to be terminated from the program and have to go to jail. I work part time and cant afford to loose my job and be away from my family. Sub is what I believe my last option. I hope the doctor does not have any problem prescribing the pills to me because my age. This is my last resort and I am paying $100 dollars for the Initial visit and $50 for each visit after that "good thing my insurance copay is only $5 and the meds should be covered"."i really hope I get these bc it is my last resort I am either going to go to jail or end up dyeing. If anyone in the Buffalo NewYork area was looking for a docor,DR Anderson On Washington St. in the city is accepting patients there is 12 doctors in my county (Erie) and he is the only one who is accepting patients at the moment without a waiting list. Thanks everyone please say a prayer for me and give me some input on what you think of my situation
WdlwnMJP16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2006, 11:42 AM   #2
dodo

Mike,
I have a few questions for you but would like to comment also as I go along about your story. With this being your last resort, it is a shame it wasn't your first. As far as your age goes, I am not aware whether you will have a problem being put on suboxone. If you are put on it kiddo, remember it DOES work BUT you have to WANT IT TO WORK ALSO! Your awfully young to be going through this, especially for two years now. (although, I experimented with every drug there was at your age and found speed to always be my drug of choice. I'm asking myself now if I had this opportunity back then would I have jumped on it?)
Ask yourself if you really want to get clean or are you doing this only to protect yourself from the law? And if you are, CHANGE YOUR MIND NOW AND DO THIS FOR YOU!
Mike, you may have to pay that $100.00 and the $50.00 each time you visit the doctors. Double check with your insurance and especially the doctors office before you go, they may not cover it and if they do not, you shouldn't have a problem paying cash because what you were spending on H a day, this should be considered peanuts to you. If the doctors office told you these prices, don't assume your insurance is going to pay for it. Alot of times the doctors do not accept insurance! Your getting away fairly cheap compared to some others on this board. And if you do have to pay up front you possibly can submit the bill to your insurance and get reimbursed.
Also kiddo, keep in mind that you should continue counseling even if it hasn't worked for you before. I am curious as what your parents think of all this. I am a mother of a 19 year old girl and a 15 year old boy. Fortunately at this stage in the game we haven't had any real upsets with drug use by them. Myself, different story. You say you and your friends have hit rock bottom. What was the straw that broke the camels back Mike?
Do yourself a favor and become as educated as you can on suboxone. There is quite a bit of information on this website that can help you.
I'm sure others will reply to you also. Best of Luck to you and if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to post. I would love to be able to help you, be there for you, whatever!
I look forward to hearing from you and good luck Mike! Your just a kid and if you ever want to give yourself something, GIVE YOURSELF THIS CHANCE TO BECOME CLEAN AND STAY CLEAN. At your age you have the world ahead of you, give it a chance, it really isn't so bad.
Doris
dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2006, 11:50 AM   #3
Jaywalker

Hi Mike:

Speaking only for myself: This medication has been a miracle for me. I've got over 30 years on you, but I had been on morphine for over 12 years, and in a matter of days, I was off, with a minimum of withdrawal, and I haven't felt this good in decades.

Make sure you are in withdrawal when you start the Suboxone. I waited about 18 hours from my last morphine when I went in. In just a couple of days I felt great.

There are a great group of people here on this board...and a lot of support and information. You can do this. This medication is truly miraculous. I have had no urges or cravings at all since I started, I feel better physically, my pain doesn't seem so bad (I was on the morphine because of chronic pain), and the depression which had engulfed me for years has been lifted and I have a much brighter outlook.

Being 16 with your habit has to be tough, but this is a great way to get better. Hopefully, doing this with your friends will be a support system for you also. Just make sure you are all committed to it, which isn't really that hard once you know the medicine is working. Don't give up...

The people here are great. Keep posting and reading the posts here...you will find a lot of encouragement and help from that. I know I did.

If I can help at all, even just to talk to, drop me a line.

Be straight with your doctor and do what he tells you....

Be well friend...and stay close here. Let us know how you are doing.

Jay
Jaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2006, 12:02 PM   #4
Jaywalker

Mike: I just want to ditto what Dodo says here. You really have to want this. The medicine will work -- but you have to want to get better for it to work. As far as money goes -- I have no idea what heroin cost, but I'll bet that at 3-4 bags a day, it was pretty expensive. Put that money into your doctor for therapy and medication. Hopefully your insurance will help -- I have to assume you are on your parents insurance, so they must be aware of your problem. I certainly hope so. Now is the time to talk to them also and bring them on board with what you are doing. I'm certain that they want you to be drug-free and happy, and they can help you with support as you are going through this.

Keep us posted.

Jay
Unread 01-21-2006, 12:06 PM   #5
Mary

Hey Mike, Welcome. As Doris said, if YOU are ready, and YOU want it, it will work. I found this in the news section. It's about bupe and a study done on 13 to 18 year olds in a 28-day study.

10/06/2005
Buprenorphine more effective in teen heroin addiction treatment retention
An outpatient double-blind study of 36 opioid-dependent teens (13-18) in 28 day treatment, were treated with buprenorphine or clonidine.The major difference between the two medications was in treatment retention. Over the course of the 28-day detoxification program, 72 percent of those who received buprenorphine were retained in treatment, compared with 39 percent of the group receiving clonidine. "Results demonstrate that buprenorphine combined with behavioral therapy is one such efficacious intervention for this population."
Here's the link to the whole article: http://www.rxpgnews.com/research/psy...cle_2565.shtml

And make sure you're in wd, or your first dose of the sub will put in you into wds. Which can be taken care of with more sub, but it's SOOOO much better to avoid it in the first place. Nothing else worked for me. And I used H for longer than you've been around!! Read as much as you can, especially in the education section. And ask as much as you'd like. That's what we're here for! -Mary
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2006, 12:33 PM   #6
Phoenix

Hi Mike:
I'm not a user, but my fiancee was. He too was addicted to heroin. He is 41 but got hooked when he was about 30. I am so sorry to hear you have to go through this. The one thing about being addicted to narcotics is that at least there is something you can do. You see, with most other drugs, there is no medical assistance. You have such a battle ahead of you as far as making the right decision, sticking to the program, and healing yourself. It is nice that all of your buddies are getting on the wagon with you, but you have to remember, this is a LIFE DECISION, one you have to make for yourself. It is possible that you're friends aren't ready and that can lead to a real problem for you. As you probably know, as young as you are, heroin is a one way street to hell. It will never get better unless you're ready and willing. I wish you all of the best, you have "friends" here. This community saved my sanity while I watched the love of my life destroy my spirit. The biggest problem Tony had was thinking that his drug use was his problem. The real truth is that it destroys everything in it's path. I don't know your history, or how much the people around you, that you care about, know, but I can tell you, this medication is restoring my faith that there is hope for a "normal" life. I know it doesn't cure the problem, Tony needs to seek counseling, but at least it's a start in the right direction and it keeps him off the streets and out of jail. You can do this, you have support here. Anything you need, we're here.
Judy
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2006, 03:21 PM   #7
dodo

Mike,
Just checking in with you. Please let us know how you are doing!!!
Doris
dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2006, 09:03 PM   #8
Robyn

Hi Mike,
I am in treatment with Suboxone and also have an 18 year old boy (and a 12 year old boy). If either had a history, I would sign them up in a heartbeat. If it turns out you need parental consent, please send your folks here. I can't add much to what has already been said, except to please read this http://www.naabt.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=303 I knew Ami when she was still using and this treatment has saved her life. She also had parental notification issues, not because of her age, but because she is still on her parent's insurance. Somehow, she made it work. I will think good thoughts for you and hope the doctor will treat you.

Dixie
Robyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2006, 11:07 PM   #9
Robyn

Mike,
Just found this for you....regarding medical treatment of minors...will keep nosing around.

Mental Health and Substance Abuse

Twenty states and the District of Columbia give minors the explicit authority to consent to outpatient mental health services. No state specifically requires parental consent to obtain these services, but many states do impose age requirements or other restrictions in regards to minors who obtain these services.

Forty-four states and the District of Columbia have laws or policies authorizing a minor who abuses drug or alcohol to consent to outpatient counseling without a parent's consent. Again, no states require parental consent for these services, but some restrictions may be imposed on which minors can obtain this counseling.

Dixie
Unread 01-22-2006, 11:19 PM   #10
Robyn

One more for you Mike, this one specific to the State of New York and teenagers. It looks like it is up to your doctor.
http://www.nyclu.org/thi/quiz/quiz_full_version.htm

Let us know how it goes.

Dixie
Unread 01-22-2006, 11:31 PM   #11
Caroline

Woodlawn, I have strong ties to the Niagara Falls area and know you are VERY fortunate to have found sub treatment in Western NYS, so please PLEASE make the most of this opportunity to get well. You are young and have an excellent chance to get past this episode in your life...but only if you want to. Good luck and God bless...
Caroline
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2006, 11:36 PM   #12
leeglegle

Dixie:

Good work. You deserve recognition and a hearty pat on the back.

Hurrah for you!

Robert
leeglegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2006, 01:30 AM   #13
WdlwnMJP16

Thanks everyone for the comments and support. One more day!!! I am anxious and excited I used today at 5 and will defiantly be in mild withdrawal and use my parents are aware of my addiction and are supporting me 100%. I have taken sub when I didn't have anything before and it stooped me from wd so I know this medication will work for me. one thing is my councilor has negative outlook on the sub prog "not that I care. His outlook is that the subs just prolong the addiction and allow it to continue. He thinks this s*** is easy bc he has never did h. I think he should be able to see that i tried inpatient left after a few days and his bull s*** speeches telling me not to use is not workin.He is also a member of my drug court program so he can tell the judge to sanction me to jail for 2 weeks so I really need to do this. I am counting down the hrs and I hope my life experience and my current health condition will allow me get on the program. s*** I do H, tabs and w/e I can get my hands on that will get me high no other treatment has worked for me. I am counting down the 17 more hrs to go!!! Yes, I will be able to continue to live but just not in active addiction!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Everyone
Unread 01-23-2006, 02:11 AM   #14
Robyn

Hey Mike,
Sounds like you will be a success story...and the fact that your parents are supporting this move, will only reinforce your decision. You hit on my biggest rant, the lack of training addiction counselors have received on this treatment. I don't know if it's because they are afraid of being put out of business or lazy. I can't stand tunnel vision, or the lack of willingness to explore other treatments. So, don't let this guy beat you down.......my counseling experience was FUBAR. (I was her first patient on Suboxone, and she had been a counselor for 20+ years). But you got to deal with what you have - and if that means playing this guy's silly a$$ games, so what? At least you aren't out there cold turkey, miserable as hell and with a poor chance of getting off the stuff. Who knows? Make it your pet project to act so "normal" or "cured" he has to check it out! I'll probably catch hell for telling you to do that. (That is one thing I can't stand is being forced to do something I don't want to do (X10 if you are a teenager), so you have my sympathy there.....see if your folks will spring for another counselor besides the court appointed one - counselors can help, you just have to find the right one.

Oh, in case anyone didn't tell you, when you are drug tested, the Sub will not show......everything else on the street will, but not Sub. Let's put it this way, our court systems and employers don't have the resources (read $$$) to order such a specific test.

Good luck.
D.
Unread 01-23-2006, 11:49 AM   #15
Jaywalker

Hey Mike:

Just checking in and hoping all is well with you. Let us know when you get back from the doctor. You sound very committed and I'm keeping good thoughts for you. Bravo to your folks for supporting you in this.

Keep the faith...

Jay
Unread 01-23-2006, 12:10 PM   #16
gwen

hi mike, i want to wish you good luck today. please let us know how you do. i'm proud of you for wanting to take this step. you have your whole life ahead of you. and i'm so happy that your parents are supportive. i agree with dixie, see if you can get some outside counseling besides that 'counselor' who just hasn't a clue. we're all pulling for you! peace- gwen
gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2006, 01:28 PM   #17
opiatedeficient

Mike,

Wow! I think that at 16, it's great for you to do now what needs to be done to help you out. One very serious piece of advice...to suceed, you have to change the people you hang out with. If you have any ties to anyone who is still using, you have to get far away.

I say this from experience, because if I have any opportunity to use (read: any friends who might still have access) I will relapse. Even with the sub. And at 16, I know you are much more vulnerable to the effects of what your friends are doing, and might have a more difficult time getting away from them.

I am a firm believer that if you are around people who are using, no matter what your intentions are, the chances of anyone "breaking" and using are just way too high.

You say you are working...what about school? Is there any chance your parents would consider sending you away to school after you are stabilized on the sub?

At 16, you have the opportunity to get the proper treatment for this disease and to go on to live a fantastic life.
opiatedeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2006, 01:56 PM   #18
purple

Hey I noticed Gwen was here Nice to hear from you again Gwen
purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2006, 02:42 PM   #19
JRT

Good Luck to you-I am impressed with your attitude and sending good thoughts your way.

Lizzie
JRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2006, 03:00 PM   #20
Mary

Good luck today! Please let us know how it goes. Sending postive energy your way.... -Mary
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2006, 09:05 PM   #21
WdlwnMJP16

Hey everybody I went and seen the doc today. Eveything went well and i just took my first dose of 8mg.THe doc wants me to take 1/2 tab of 8mg every 12 hrs.THe doctor was really nice and i have to go see him nex week to let him know how i am doing. I have to go to counceling (group) tonight and i will inform my counceller.I finally have a second chance. This is the last drug test i am going to fail and i will not be going to jail. I am so happy. I had to pas $52 for 8 pills but i guess thats alot better than 50 bucks a day. Does any one know of a cheaper pharmacy in buffalo ny area to get sub 8mg pleasze let me know.
Unread 01-23-2006, 09:34 PM   #22
gwen

mike, that's great news. and you know you can ask whatever you need to here as you start your journey. and please let us know how you do!! peace- gwen

purple! thanks!
Unread 01-23-2006, 09:34 PM   #23
gwen

mike, that's great news. and you know you can ask whatever you need to here as you start your journey. and please let us know how you do!! peace- gwen

purple! thanks!
Unread 01-23-2006, 11:57 PM   #24
Robyn

Several have reported Eckerds were priced good and someone mentioned Walgreens. Not all pharmacies carry this medication, so you may want to call around ahead of time. Fortunately, most can get overnight stock. If your folks have RX card, maybe give that a try. It runs me about $26 per month, my presciption card picks up the rest.

Keep us posted.......you have a bunch of folks (many the age of your parents, so please don't hold that against us.....but we really do understand) rooting for you.......BTW, every day gets better than the previous day. Wishing the same for you.

Dixie
Unread 01-23-2006, 11:57 PM   #25
Robyn

Several have reported Eckerds were priced good and someone mentioned Walgreens. Not all pharmacies carry this medication, so you may want to call around ahead of time. Fortunately, most can get overnight stock. If your folks have RX card, maybe give that a try. It runs me about $26 per month, my presciption card picks up the rest.

Keep us posted.......you have a bunch of folks (many the age of your parents, so please don't hold that against us.....but we really do understand) rooting for you.......BTW, every day gets better than the previous day. Wishing the same for you.

Dixie
Unread 01-24-2006, 05:10 AM   #26
Badboyz

HEY Mike I want to wish U luck.I really dont no what to say, the age(16)kinda of throws me off. I have no exp. with H but one thing I do no is everyone here will be there 4 u .One thing mike if U was not in trouble with the law would ur actions be the same?NO matter what the answer,16 is old enough to no, that is the wrong road. I'm here 4 U
PEACE OUT BADBOYZ 4/LIFE
Badboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2006, 05:10 AM   #27
Badboyz

HEY Mike I want to wish U luck.I really dont no what to say, the age(16)kinda of throws me off. I have no exp. with H but one thing I do no is everyone here will be there 4 u .One thing mike if U was not in trouble with the law would ur actions be the same?NO matter what the answer,16 is old enough to no, that is the wrong road. I'm here 4 U
PEACE OUT BADBOYZ 4/LIFE
Badboyz is offline   Reply With Quote