Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 01-11-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
lifevest

Default New user and side effects

I started on sub last week, stabilized at 16 mg. Having trouble with side effects and was looking for any thoughts. I have muffled hearing which started on the 2nd day and am dealing with a bit of nausea. Also have had strange teeth pain that is cleared up with a bit of ibuprofen. I was using anywhere from 80-150 mg of hydrocodone and oxycodone a day. I am worried I'm on too much suboxone and as of yesterday moved my dose down to 12 mg. Thanks for any thoughts.
lifevest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
toms

Hello, and welcome! You need to give yourself time to adjust, and work with your doctor about any side effects you might experience. Stopping abusive opiate use, even with the assistance of suboxone, will put your body through the wringer. I had a range of stuff that I blamed on suboxone, all of which went away. None of us are qualified to dispense medical advice. Tinkering with your dose without first discussing how you are feeling with your physician is probably not a good idea.
Unread 01-12-2010, 02:49 AM   #3
dawnny

I responded to you, ut for some reason it didnt take. Give yourself time, Dont taper yet, you havnt een on long enough. How are you doing on 12 mgs? You were on a high dosage of your doc, this takes some time. We are here to help, talk to your docter. Maye you can take it differently, how are you taking it? Let us know a little more info, and we will try to help.
dawnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 05:03 AM   #4
lifevest

Today is my second day on 12 mgs and I think I'm doing about the same, I definitely haven't gotten the good feeling that I hear people talk about getting from suboxone, but my withdrawals did stop.. When I was using I either swallowed or snorted, never IV. My doc was really whatever I could get my hands on, lortab, morphine, perc, OC, tussionex, and like I said it went from 80 to 150 d mg on average. Some days 200 mg or more. I wasn't keeping count that's for sure, I just used until I felt that buzz I wanted. So, I'm just worried that the suboxone isn't working and I will still go back to looking for that high at some point, but I am committed to trying the suboxone, I'm hoping that 12 mg will take the nausea away after being on 16 for a week. Thanks for your thoughts and comments.
Unread 01-12-2010, 07:38 AM   #5
amb128

Life vest it sounds like the Suboxone is doing it's job. The purpose is to keep you from craving or withdrawing. I understand your worry about later on wanting to go find that high, but did you begin treatment to get off pills before you were ready? Please try to get some counseling, therapy or go to some 12 step group such as AA or NA to learn a new way to live while you are on the Sub. The pill alone will not do the job of changing your addictive habits. That is something you will have to battle on your own, in a way that works best for you. Good luck and try to enjoy your first few days of not having to go search for that high. Maybe then you can appreciate the chance you have been given at having a whole new life. I wish you the best

Last edited by amb128; 01-12-2010 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: spelling error
amb128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 07:43 AM   #6
DARKEYES

Quote:
Toms said:Hello, and welcome! You need to give yourself time to adjust, and work with your doctor about any side effects you might experience. Stopping abusive opiate use, even with the assistance of suboxone, will put your body through the wringer.
And I second that...the welcome and the putting your body through the wringer. My body went to hell and back I swear, the people here were so much help to me during the time of adjustment. Adjusting your body from not using opiates is hard enough. Side effects differ from person to person from what I learned here on this forum. Work with your doctor as Toms said, and your body will adjust to the proper dose. Being one of the biggest skeptics about Suboxene, I was in awe after a few weeks of how I felt, no cravings, not waking up sick, energy (to much at first), but if not for the people here I may have given up, but I stuck with it and even though the head doctor is a waco, the doctor he put me with is not, he is knowledgeable to have helped me through most side effects. I'm coming up on four months now and I feel great. Please give yourself time, work with your doctor and welcome to the best place for education on this drug on the internet.
Thank You (01-12-2010)
Unread 01-12-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
dawnny

what times of the day are you taking it?
dawnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #8
okie

Motrin really is the best for dental pain..and you have to remember that you were taking painkillers..so any pain you had was masked..so you may find now different medical/dental things you didnt know were there!
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #9
toms

Suboxone, properly used, doesn't "make you feel good"....it (once you are stabilized) simply allows you to feel. The "good feelings" come from living in recovery! Give yourself a few months to level out, work closely with your doc, and get involved in recovery....THEN evaluate how you feel!
Unread 01-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #10
lifevest

I understand suboxone doesn't make you feel "good," I simply was trying to illustrate that I haven't, as of yet, reaped the benefits that I have read about. I understand it takes time, I was just sharing my thoughts. For whomever asked, I didn't begin treatment before I was ready - I was at the end of my rope. I made a decision, a very hard one at that, to bring out a nasty secret that no one knew about and handle it before I ended up at a final destination from which I couldn't turn back. I am seeking therapy and counseling and not just relying on a pill to turn my life around - I think I already did that, ha. Didn't work. Anyway, thanks for the thoughts. To the person that asked, I'm spacing my dosing evenly throughout the day as my doc instructed.

Thanks to those who offered kind words and experiences.
Unread 01-12-2010, 12:59 PM   #11
toms

I felt better physically within a week. Feeling better about myself took far longer. As a practicing addict, I spent years trying to force my emotions to do my bidding, demanding instant gratification, and control of anything I deemed unpleasant. Undoing what took years to develop has not happened quickly, but considering all that happened over those years, recovery occurred amazingly quickly.

The reason it took years for me to experience any meaningful recovery, is simply the result of my own stubbornness about doing the simple things I was told to do. I tried to pick and choose what aspects of the recovery program I was willing to attempt. The key for me was subtle, but profound. When I simply accepted the fact that I really didn't always "know what was best for me", and started *attempting* to do what the recovering people I knew suggested I do, and not on my schedule, things began to improve rapidly.

This old man I met in AA would always harp about "getting out of self", and I thought he was senile. Somehow, that notion he preached continually irritated me, but he had been sober 50+ years and I was going to meetings trashed. Somewhere along the way, I made the brilliant leap that maybe that old man was correct, and that (God forbid) I was wrong. I think when that happened, recovery began.
Unread 01-12-2010, 01:48 PM   #12
NancyB
Administrator

Hi lifevest, is there a reason that your doctor has you taking your dose like that? Because of the long halflife, there's really no reason to do that. Taking it once a day eliminates the waiting to take the next dose or the clock watching that could be reminiscent of active addiction.

Also because of the halflife, you might not notice the reduction for a couple/three days. So try to stick with that dose for little while and then reevaluate from there.

The best dose of Suboxone is the lowest dose that stops the cravings and withdrawals. That's all Suboxone is indicated to do. If I may ask, what are the other benefits you have read about?

As for the tooth pain, please get that checked. Oftentimes there are things that surface that were masked while taking full agonists, so you want to be sure that there is nothing wrong that was covered up by the full agonists.

Let us know how you're doing.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #13
lifevest

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyB View Post
Hi lifevest, is there a reason that your doctor has you taking your dose like that? Because of the long halflife, there's really no reason to do that. Taking it once a day eliminates the waiting to take the next dose or the clock watching that could be reminiscent of active addiction.

Also because of the halflife, you might not notice the reduction for a couple/three days. So try to stick with that dose for little while and then reevaluate from there.

The best dose of Suboxone is the lowest dose that stops the cravings and withdrawals. That's all Suboxone is indicated to do. If I may ask, what are the other benefits you have read about?

As for the tooth pain, please get that checked. Oftentimes there are things that surface that were masked while taking full agonists, so you want to be sure that there is nothing wrong that was covered up by the full agonists.

Let us know how you're doing.

Nancy
I imagine there is a reason my doctor has me taking the doses like that, but I didn't ask, for the same reason I didn't ask why he prescribed 16 mg a day rather than 8 mg. I've read about people who had much "larger" addictions consumption wise and they never needed more than 8 mg a day, but I didn't question since he's a doctor and I'm just an addict.

Insofar as the other benefits I've read about, can I generally say not feeling like crap? The withdrawals and cravings are gone but I still feel like crap. May be too simple of an explanation, but suffice it to say that my experience isn't tantamount to others I've read about and the way sub has helped them. Instead, my hearing is goofed up, I'm sick to my stomach and my teeth hurt. And I was at the dentist a few weeks ago and had no cavities, x-rays were done and everything looked perfect so I attribute that to the suboxone. I'm guessing that it's just a matter of time until things get regulated and my body learns how to operate without being pounded with opiates daily.
Unread 01-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #14
NancyB
Administrator

Hi again, I'm wondering if the way you're feeling is because you could be on too high of a dose. Unfortunately, it takes a little longer to find the right dose reducing because of the halflife.

You're not just an addict. You're a person who decided to take that huge step and get their life back. Just because a doctor prescribes Suboxone doesn't mean that they know everything about it. Have you checked with your doctor to see what he has to say?

IMO, give yourself another couple of days to see where reducing to 12 brings you - then go from there. Could be you might be able to reduce down again.

Hang in there. You'll find that dose and feel a heck of a lot better.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 01-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #15
lifevest

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyB View Post
Hi again, I'm wondering if the way you're feeling is because you could be on too high of a dose. Unfortunately, it takes a little longer to find the right dose reducing because of the halflife.

You're not just an addict. You're a person who decided to take that huge step and get their life back. Just because a doctor prescribes Suboxone doesn't mean that they know everything about it. Have you checked with your doctor to see what he has to say?

IMO, give yourself another couple of days to see where reducing to 12 brings you - then go from there. Could be you might be able to reduce down again.

Hang in there. You'll find that dose and feel a heck of a lot better.

Nancy
Yeah, my doc doesn't seem to be open to discussing dosage at least at this point. I really think he started me too high, so I'm going to go with 12 for another few days as you suggested and see how I feel. Something tells me I don't need to be on anything higher than 8, perhpas lower. Thanks again for your time and thoughts.
Unread 01-12-2010, 04:49 PM   #16
toms

You cannot predict what dose may or may not be right for you based on what you took beforehand. You mentioned that your doctor "doesn't seem open to discussing your dose". Did you ask why? There is nothing wrong with trying different dosages, but doing changes yourself, based on hunches, when you've only been in treatment for a week doesn't exactly sound like clear thinking.

In my case, I must continually remind myself that my best thinking got me to the brink of disaster. I pursued the illusion that I was somehow able to prescribe for myself, and you can bet I was always generous with whatever I prescribed. Recovery only came through asking for help, accepting the advice given, and taking action. One week in treatment is not enough time to be stable, or to have even begun to make the changes necessary for successful recovery. I certainly don't know your history, but for any patient I've ever known on maintenance, the consequences of a poor decision while beginning treatment can be pretty grim.
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #17
lifevest

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms View Post
You cannot predict what dose may or may not be right for you based on what you took beforehand. You mentioned that your doctor "doesn't seem open to discussing your dose". Did you ask why? There is nothing wrong with trying different dosages, but doing changes yourself, based on hunches, when you've only been in treatment for a week doesn't exactly sound like clear thinking.

In my case, I must continually remind myself that my best thinking got me to the brink of disaster. I pursued the illusion that I was somehow able to prescribe for myself, and you can bet I was always generous with whatever I prescribed. Recovery only came through asking for help, accepting the advice given, and taking action. One week in treatment is not enough time to be stable, or to have even begun to make the changes necessary for successful recovery. I certainly don't know your history, but for any patient I've ever known on maintenance, the consequences of a poor decision while beginning treatment can be pretty grim.
I understand where you're coming from and I don't want to set my dosage or otherwise decide my course of treatment. I just talked to my doc and he told me to go to 8 mg a day starting tomorrow.
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #18
NancyB
Administrator

Hi lifevest, just remember that you might not notice anything for a couple of days. And, if it's too big of a reduction, you can always go back up 1mg at a time (get a good pill cutter) to your best dose. Let us know how you do with it.

Nancy
Unread 01-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #19
lifevest

Thanks again for your kind words and advice. I'm hoping this reduction will alleviate some of these symptoms - the hearing loss is really frustrating and the nausea is well, as one would imagine. But it's not like the nausea that comes with withdrawals, so I'm especially hopeful it wil. Vanish soon. And yes, it's nice knowing I can add a little to the dose if I have any withdrawal symptoms. Thanks again everyone, it's a scary time.
Unread 01-14-2010, 08:44 AM   #20
DARKEYES

Arrow

Quote:
but I didn't question since he's a doctor and I'm just an addict.. livevest
Reading that made me sad, you are not "just an addict". You suffer from a chronic disease that you are being treated for. Then I realized that all of us probably thought that at some point in our addiction, its called STIGMA. This disease is treatable, not curable and people do relapse. But any treatment from such a debilitating disease is difficult and you sound like such a wonderful person. Please don't think of yourself as just an addict....Ask questions if you have to, read, listen and learn. The Here to Help program is wonderful think about you now, your recovery, your life now. Into your recovery things in your life will fall into place. It's not an easy process. Some uneducated people just don't understand this is a disease not a choice. Please think about you now and the people here can help you so very much, I cannot say that enough. I don't post a lot, but I read every day and every day I learn something new about myself, but it took a poster to tell me to think about ME, now it's time to think about you....God bless you and good luck, the BEST of luck to you in your recovery process.
Unread 01-16-2010, 10:33 PM   #21
lifevest

Thanks you so much for the kind words and support. Self deprecation is an old habit and as we all know, those die hard so your words are really well received and I thank you for that. Best to you.
One User Says Thank You to lifevest For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-17-2010)