Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 09-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #1
R. Lee

Default What is everyone doing to stay sober>

I see a lot of talk about everything but what we are doing to stay sober.

Think through that next urge to drink.

Have a great day.
R. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2015, 11:43 PM   #2
jenm

1. Staying in today
2. Being in God's word everyday - and also the recovery book I am working on with the treatment counselor, as well as the biblical recovery book I am working on with my counseling pastor.
3. Attending 3 groups a week in addition to seeing both the church counselor and the treatment counselor one on one each week.
4. Being open and honest about myself, no matter what. Being continuously humble.
5. Staying grateful. Grateful that I'm not dead because of this thing, and grateful that I have another chance. Grateful for my boys, you guys, my family, many things.
6. Praying. Often.

Love, Jenm
jenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2015, 11:44 PM   #3
jenm

P.S. 7. Wearing this thing on my ankle that takes 48 readings a day.
jenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2015, 11:45 PM   #4
lostdog

being grateful, looking to see the simple pleasures in life, living each day the best I can, helping others.
lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2015, 05:08 AM   #5
jditoday

-recommitting every day
-coming here to talk/vent
-staying busy
-blowing by temptations to buy
-avoiding loaded situations
-focusing on health
-don't beat myself up for urges/wanting to drink (It's what we do)
jditoday is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to jditoday For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-03-2015), Thank You (09-03-2015)
Unread 09-02-2015, 10:13 AM   #6
R. Lee

Great job.

I only have to worry about staying sober today. I have made my amends so yesterday is history & tomorrow is a mystery.

Have a great day.
One User Says Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-03-2015)
Unread 09-02-2015, 11:42 AM   #7
Saint

Great thread Rlee

I come here - it reminds me of where I was and where I am
I think through that first drink
I stay humble and aware of my feelings
I TRY to remain grateful
I try to assist others here best I can
I remind myself life is bigger than I and no the sun does not revolve around me.

Peace,
Saint
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Saint For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-03-2015)
Unread 09-02-2015, 01:22 PM   #8
Millie

Thanks for this, R.Lee.

Staying in today, and committing only for today.
Keeping busy and making sure that busyness includes fun and productive things.
Staying active.
Coming here.
Cleaning my house.
Reminding myself that feelings, even the non-happy ones, are not something to be avoided.
Being grateful for the health, clarity and relief from anxiety that sobriety brings.
Millie is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to Millie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-02-2015), Thank You (09-03-2015)
Unread 09-02-2015, 06:42 PM   #9
R. Lee

Thanks for your support.

Today I attended drug court to support a inmate in the county jail I have been working with.
Thank You (09-03-2015)
Unread 09-02-2015, 09:11 PM   #10
iamtrying

I remember my saying for myself every day

"one day at a time, I am responsible for my actions and their consequences, think thru the first drink and urge...relax and focus".

Be mindful not to drink and be committed to it.
iamtrying is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to iamtrying For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-03-2015)
Unread 09-03-2015, 06:03 PM   #11
Tryntryagain

Good evening R Lee. Bright blessings to you.

I am pausing over my keyboard, as i feel an instinctive response and have not the slightest doubt it is probably the wrong one, but i am not Tryn if i can not speak.

Yes R Lee, i suspect you are referring to the fact others are going on their way and expressing that, but after all this is a forum for those struggling with the addiction to alcohol, and where is the dialogue that promotes that?

It is entirely appropriate for us to all recognise our daily struggles with alcoholism as much it is to prepare, engage and enjoy the journey into sobriety. There is a balance to be struck for sure.

I do not know how others find their way to sobriety but all my fingers and toes wager it does not happen overnight. There is a journey. At times it feels like a breeze. At those times we become complacent, drink has no part to play in what we do, and then challenges come along and "YASSAM" just like magic we find a drink in our hands.

The delicate balance that frees ourselves from alcohol is much like looking after a small child.

Slowly....but ever so surely, you allow that "little bit more leash"....that bit more independence. Carefully keeping an eye out for everything that is happening around, the child starts to run free. Depending on the child, depends on how much freedom is not so much allowed, but how much freedom ingratiates the child to become and adult, each child different.

Each one of those children is us. As different as each cloud that passes over their heads.

Many of us here have no parents, no guidance if you like, so many will understand the concept of having a "parent inside of you". That place if you get to half a century where one realises it could not, and can not, be down to luck alone.

Then luck becomes a commodity. It is a point in life where one recognises they can make it. Responsibility washes through their soul like a Miami wave. To push too far?.....and over the edge you will go.

Not push enough?.....and forever stay in a place of servitude, diligence, and the point of life?....to take risks?, becomes unattractive and unattainable.

The 12 steps ingrained in me, although i am allowed in myself to "run in the fields with that". It teaches me, (the best parent is oneself), that i am sober today because i chose to be. When i have fallen, i have never lost sight of MY goal. How wonderful life would be etc, etc. So sobriety comes. Palaces rose out of the water, angels sang and Tryn caught grapes in his mouth under fountains.

Then life seems to have a nasty habit of happening.

This is where Tryn bows out and listens to R Lee and Saint when they talk of "life on lifes terms". Hmmmm, ok.

Is that not doing sobriety in reverse?

What do you mean life on lifes terms? Do you mean that shit happens and deal with it? Or do you mean, just stay sober and see what happens? In doing so you will deal with all of it....all the lot better?

Where did running marathons come into it dear Saint?....where did R Lee's....well i'll ask you, where did your experience recently of the Marines reunion go eh?

Don't you think i know when i have written a really long letter and you say, "think through the first drink"....do you really think that is lost on us?

My brother R Lee, the goodness that utterly pours out of you i have not met the likes of before. Not because i haven't met said, simply that i have never met anyone i believe the very moon goes around, and you know what dear R Lee? i have no idea why.

I have stolen your logs, i have tried to have rows with you, i have shared with you just about all i am infact............

Somehow my friend, i know you, more than you know me!

Do not be afraid. I feel alot of what is being discussed and shared in the family is the way these things go. It is time now, where folk are where they are.

However......

there are 3 things that stay with me every single day, a day at a time......

First R Lee, "think through the first drink", (etched into my brain), and after years here with such wonderful "ways to go" I Am Tryings mantra, "one day at a time, i am responsible for my actions and their consequences, think thru the first drink and urge......relax and focus. Be mindful not to drink and be committed to it". I know they both sound more or less the same.

I suppose they are. I Am Trying has meant a great deal with his days at a time, showing us day by day.

Anyhew, (now there is a wonder...Tryns waffling)

I speak of my troubles and understand that my biggest trouble is staying sober.

I am an alcoholic. I have it "not sitting on the dock of the bay", sitting right there, right on my shoulder.

Saint.....stay in today.

You can stay in today when R Lee finds out i told him you stole his logs. Happy camping.

How do you hug a Marine? Oh, of course. Put your gun down......there you go.

Thank you for all you are and all you don't want us to know you are.

My strength back for yours.

Be peaceful, be healthy and be strong. Loveness to you dear, dear R Lee.
Tryntryagain is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Tryntryagain For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-03-2015)
Unread 09-03-2015, 09:12 PM   #12
R. Lee

Tryn, Just trying to get your attention.

Be safe.

Hugs.
Thank You (09-05-2015)
Unread 09-05-2015, 02:01 PM   #13
Tryntryagain

Good afternoon dear R Lee. Bright blessings to you.

Your very "name" gets my attention. I know what lies within.

Dear R Lee, i have been staring at the floor since dear Larry went to a better place, and i have found alcohol a strange fish during this time. I have so because i do not want it. I have "tried" to not want it in the past, but in some crazy way, i blame alcohol for "everything". Dear old Lal, me, oh....everything.

I have no doubt that infact the whole of my life has been ruined by bus drivers and said company......(Grrrrrr).....but nope.

It has been me.

The first step where one agrees with oneself they are powerless, actually when it comes to alcohol, is true. Step 2, could be, "this is why". It is not.

Having worked and lived with alcoholics for much of my life, the mantra for any alcoholic could most definitely be, "Nothing to do with me".

Between us all, for me the "love" i say i feel from this amazing family, actually means, "i am being given love, experience, wisdom and compassion.......oh shit!.......my life is my responsibility!!!"

I think i get you with this thread. Would i be right in saying perhaps you feel there is an elephant, (piglet calls them elpflants) in the room we are all walking around?

You might be right.

THAT is why i love you.

So, how is it for everyone else? I do not pick up because i have no motivation to do so. Why? A life changing event losing my dear Larry has meant....what alcohol did......doesn't work at all.

Now what? Surely not more floor looking?

I am hugging this beautiful Marine. Thank you.

For your info, i shot a shotgun when i was about 8. I went backwards further than whatever came out the front forwards!

So folks, what does sobriety mean to you?....how do you achieve that?.....how does drinking affect your life?.....how does not drinking effect your life?.........how to you move forward?

I like this thread.

Wisdom.

Loveness R Lee and a great big British hug.
Unread 09-05-2015, 05:46 PM   #14
R. Lee

Thank you Tryn.

Have a great day.
Unread 09-10-2015, 05:12 AM   #15
SecretTiger

Great thread, RLee. Thank you.

I've been struggling recently, but I'm getting back with the program, so to speak.

I'm:
- Exercising
- Meditating
- Constructively dealing with health issues
- Sorting out private issues
- Letting go
- Being grateful
- Thinking through the urges
- Eating healthily

I hope everybody is well.
SecretTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to SecretTiger For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-10-2015), Thank You (09-26-2015)
Unread 09-10-2015, 09:54 AM   #16
R. Lee

SecretTiger, Have a great day.
Thank You (09-26-2015)
Unread 09-26-2015, 09:25 AM   #17
Tryntryagain

Good afternoon dear R lee. Bright blessings to you.

I can not quite express how still, blossomingly beautiful deep blue skies covering dear ole Blighty on this Saturday afternoon. It has just gone 1pm, England are playing Wales this evening in the rugby world cup, huge excitement across our blessed land, it kicks off at 8pm tonight.

Well.....i couldn't possibly watch a big game like that....in the evening.....without a drink....surely?

Now i say to myself......"why's that then?"

It may have escaped your attention, but i do love my cricket. Can you imagine going to Lords to watch England V Australia.....and not remembering a single thing?

"I woz there".....yeah right.

This afternoon i shall be doing my now "hoppin cookin....oh yeah".....i like my juices, (especially grapefruit juice. It is so bitter and awful my thinking is...it must be doing me good), yet i have something about me, a calmness, or should i say calmer(!) way about myself. Since dear Larry died, at out this beautiful clear blue sky, i started eating. It tells me alot about myself, my drinking, my eating, my anxietys, and what effect they have had on me.

I stay sober today armed with that awareness and i am prepared to act upon it. I can say that i now believe that sobriety is my friend, rather than "bullying myself" into drinking.

I am "standing up to myself" dear R Lee, which looks like "standing up to be counted".

I can do all of this, (Secret Tigers list exquisite), because i have my brothers and sisters here for support, i have found weekly support in my area, i believe i can grow with my sobriety, but more than anything else....i want to be sober today.

Thank you for being such a big part of that empowerment. Enjoy your day.

Be peaceful, be healthy and be strong. Loveness to you dear R Lee
Thank You (09-26-2015)
Unread 09-26-2015, 10:53 AM   #18
R. Lee

Thank you Tryn. You sound clear headed & on the right path.

Tonight I will give an open talk at a meeting of recovering alcoholics. Before i was sober I was terrified to speak in front of 2 people. Now I just share from my heart & it seems to work. I will have everyone here with me to give me strength.

Have a great day. Hugs!!
3 Users Say Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-06-2015), Thank You (09-26-2015), Thank You (09-26-2015)
Unread 09-26-2015, 01:01 PM   #19
Tryntryagain

Good afternoon again dear R Lee. Bright blessings to you.

Isn't that funny? The difference between folk?

I spoke to a circuit of conferences for a fair old while. You say... "before i was sober i was terrified to speak in front of 2 people", and yet for me, "i could not imagine talking to so many people sober".

I couldn't imagine it, because i did everything "from my head", and being an alcoholic meant i "had to have everything right Re levels of alcohol. I couldn't possibly "get my head right", in any other way".

Having grown some, having listened to all my brothers and sisters here, i learnt that whatever it is i do, (bus drivers excluded), i celebrate using my heart to do them. I learnt that in doing so, alcohol is simply not as powerful as my heart. It will always outsmart my brain, never my heart.

I am offering you a gift to take along dear R Lee, they were my cakes i made this afternoon, but was trying to change my duvet on 1 leg this afternoon and my little cakes turned into....errrr....ummm.....ahh, "flat biscuits"......see.....another use for an iron.

Have wonderful evening. I will be there.

Be peaceful, be healthy and be lucky. Loveness to you dear R Lee
Unread 09-27-2015, 01:34 PM   #20
R. Lee

Thank you Tryn. I felt you there in the room.
Unread 10-14-2015, 07:17 AM   #21
SecretTiger

As iamtrying says in his continually inspiring posts, I'm remembering that I am responsible for my actions and their consequences. I know that one drink will lead to many more and potentially dangerous situations.

I'm remaining grateful for all the great things in my life and remembering how close I have been to losing them, and how close I am to losing them if I drink.

I focus on the good while remembering the bad could come back very easily if I don't remain vigilant. That's why I think through the urges and relax. Exercising and eating well helps a lot.

I hope everybody is healthy and happy.
SecretTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Say Thank You to SecretTiger For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-07-2015), Thank You (10-14-2015), Thank You (11-06-2015), Thank You (10-14-2015)
Unread 11-05-2015, 06:24 PM   #22
Tryntryagain

Good evening dear R Lee. Bright blessings to you.

Secret Tiger that was a beautiful letter....a "balanced letter".

I feel it is too easy to attribute troubles to our alcoholism. Alcoholism has a reason for its dependency, i believe the alcoholic....balanced and "on top", is such the most capable and inspiring......for me the lesser spotted owl...AKA R Lee.

He swoops and unfurls his wings of wisdom and when we chase him for his wisdom he falls into the shadows of humbleness...and lets us find out for ourselves. Never think he does not have a vantage point that sees us all.

How do i stay sober? I thought it meant "don't drink". I wish i could say i was brighter than that but that is how i stopped drinking. It was not some flash of brilliance, or a part of me that does not belong to anyone else......like Frankie once said....i had had enough.

Job done........i wish. Then i knew i was ******. Loved it. I felt so warm. Well...nothing else did. I made my mouth run when the real me would have ...SAID IT BETTER!...Hmmm mmm, i got to know i was a car crash on alcohol. And i did.

I keep wanting, i keep choosing to be, i keep trying to be sober. I have done something none of you will like. It works for me.

I am so breathtakingly up myself i thought when i was drinking it would not effect me. Ok....with me?....Now...i have made myself i am "above all that"...(humour me after a good ole cough), it works........

I am sick to the back teeth of listening to the most incredible people, the most capable, the most empowered telling me they are not and they feel like shit.

Enough already people.

We are good, tough, resilient, worthwhile and a darn good bunch of valuable folk.

That keeps me sober.

Be peaceful, be healthy and be strong. Loveness to you dear R Lee
Unread 11-06-2015, 08:52 PM   #23
R. Lee

You too Tryn. Thanks!!
Thank You (11-10-2015)
Unread 11-07-2015, 12:11 AM   #24
gmasusie

You know, I believe that alcoholics are some of the most sensitive and caring people I know! Even better when they are in recovery.
gmasusie is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to gmasusie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-10-2015)
Unread 11-07-2015, 11:37 AM   #25
R. Lee

Yes they are when sober. We are good people too.
Thank You (11-10-2015)
Unread 11-09-2015, 11:09 AM   #26
Mommy2

Yes we are good people R. Lee. Thank you for supporting us.
Mommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to Mommy2 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-09-2015), Thank You (11-10-2015)
Unread 11-09-2015, 08:34 PM   #27
gmasusie

I am taking over the job of keeping track of books, chips, etc. and keeping supplies up at my AA meeting.

Sometimes it is little things that help keep us sober
2 Users Say Thank You to gmasusie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-10-2015), Thank You (11-10-2015)
Unread 11-10-2015, 11:30 AM   #28
Sam Bailey

Hey Susie!

Sounds like a great commitment! And you are so right, re the "little things" keeping one sober. Those "little things" can be huge.

Although my days of addiction were pretty much ongoing, minute by minute, year after year, "bad news," for example, never really threatened me with any kind of urgency to use. For me, it was the "good news" in my life that I couldn't handle. That I certainly did not handle well at all, I mean!

Give me a raise, win me an award, get me a terrific review and, holy mackerel, I couldn't "score" fast enough.

Crazy, these feelings we have.

Oh, and thanks for your suggestion, Susie. That suggestion, on another thread, re writing down the WORST thing that's ever happened when one was drunk, then referring to it every time an urge struck. Seems like an excellent idea!

best,

sam
Sam Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Sam Bailey For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-10-2015)
Unread 11-10-2015, 11:38 AM   #29
R. Lee

Way to go Susie. Giving back for what was so freely given to us does help us stay sober. I lead a Thursday meeting. I also set up for that meeting & I am the treasurer. I also go in the county jail & have a meeting with inmates if they want one on Tuesday.

Yesterday I approached someone to be my 2nd. sponsor. Right off the bat he suggested making a month long gratitude list. So I started one yesterday.
Thank You (11-10-2015)
Unread 11-10-2015, 01:24 PM   #30
Tryntryagain

Staying sober for me means acceptance a day at a time. To be "honest" means to feel what i feel, i not try and change it, just be aware of it.

In my own journey here you often suggested and guided me to give of myself, and in doing so i would find sobriety so much more realistic. I can remember at the time i was talking to thousands up and down my land....i had a finger in every pie......what do you mean"give of myself?"

Surely i was giving all?

Yes, in 1 way is was, yet not my way, not really me. I wanted so much to give and express my journey to help others, but alcohol was still my enabler to do that.

Now a sober bod a day at a time, i recognise that "if i could give those speeches again....now"......they would be entirely different.

Thinking through the first drink, keeping focused on why i want to be sober. Not forgetting my last drink and embracing each day, give what i can and learn from all those i meet.

My dear R Lee, not a bad start to a gratitude list?

Be peaceful, be healthy and be strong. Loveness to you Dear R Lee.
Unread 11-11-2015, 09:51 PM   #31
R. Lee

Yes You have changed Tryn & for the good.

Hugs!
Unread 11-14-2015, 09:03 AM   #32
Tryntryagain

Good afternoon dear R Lee. Bright blessings to you.

It's nearly 1pm hear in dear ole Blighty.

Today i chose to stay sober because i have so much to lose if i take a drink. For me that looks like, a car?....don't have one....ummm...bills...paid.....ok....how's about i will lose.....my mind? I wish....nope...i will lose my heart.

I am staying sober today because i simply want to. I have replaced "needs" with other "needs". I am beginning to be less selfish, i even had a mad thought in the bath the other night about bus drivers not being "that bad really".......(my temper subsides when in the bath).

Now....my dear R Lee can Tryn take that attitude into the day first off?

~~~ Indeedy.

I grasp with relish tomorrow, it is a whole lot difficult.

How do i stay sober today? Actually it always starts from how i go up the wooden hil;l the night before. At bedtime i will put difficult thoughts aside and win because in my dreams i am the greatest cricketer dear ole Blighty ever had.

Look......if we made ourselves think we were what we were under the influence....humour me...surely?

Funnily enough, what keeps me sober?...Knowing i'm not.

Seeing through the clouds, into inside oneself.

Not so scary dear R Lee.

Loveness to you.
Thank You (11-14-2015)
Unread 11-14-2015, 11:21 AM   #33
R. Lee

Tryn, Great job.
Thank You (11-14-2015)
Unread 11-14-2015, 01:17 PM   #34
gmasusie

Yes, Tryn. Our hearts don't work right when we're drinking. But yours is working beautifully!
One User Says Thank You to gmasusie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-14-2015)
Unread 11-14-2015, 06:55 PM   #35
Tryntryagain

I was ready for bedtime yet i will not sleep peacefully until i get this off, (Blighty...orf), my chest.

I know sobriety...(do i?)..... is incumbent on the user wanting to pop that poison down and walk away. Right?....What components can be so valuable in that process?

It appears to me that if i look up to someone...they will not "knock me down", yet "knock that notion away"...shuffle their humbleness under their arms like a newspaper, and justify it by saying, "this is my newspaper. You'll have to find a way of finding the news out for yourself".

Why can't i say to you, i look up to you>? Why does that make the situation uncomfortable?

My dear R Lee the family let me in when i was "full to bursting". Here i exploded. It saved my life.

All of you, to me friends i come and see every day, i love.

Real love. How so?

When sobriety throws me into bed, so it is...... calm and gentleness follows me.

I got that here. I learnt belonging here. I learnt i was ok here. I learnt i was the same as everyone else here. I learnt i didn't want to drink here.....oh hold on.....i am learning a day at a time to use and enjoy my sobriety far more than my drinking.

I have this family to thank for my continued belief in that.

Oh my goodness...Tryn's long winded way of saying, really loving others keeps me sober.

I love you R Lee. (Brush me orf and i won't just have your wood, i will have your hellclopter too).

It seems alien to us all. Love is a huge part of keeping us sober.

What is wrong with looking up to someone? 12 years sober, nearly 13, what's wrong with that?

Inspiration is so readily held in this family. It has to come from somewhere dear R Lee. I believe how you and Saint gave it to me, so many others see now.

I promise...i'm all zipped up and bedtime. Oh, dear Alexis asked me what 2 sweeties i had before bed. Assorted mints. Yup. Nothing like a coloured lump of sugar.

Goodnight dear R Lee. My Loveness to you.
2 Users Say Thank You to Tryntryagain For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-15-2015), Thank You (11-14-2015)
Unread 11-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #36
R. Lee

Tryn, I look up to others that have sobriety. Some with a lot less time than I have, so I have no problem with you look up to me.

I really just have today. Tomorrow is a mystery & yesterday is history.

Tryn I have 11 years of sobriety. That is all I need for today.

Yes we share plenty of love here as we are helping ourselves & others to remain sober.

Plenty of Hugs for you.
2 Users Say Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-15-2015), Thank You (11-17-2015)
Unread 11-17-2015, 08:32 AM   #37
Tryntryagain

Good morning dear R Lee. Bright blessings to you.

I do apologise....of course 11 years...Tryn has never been good at dates/years etc. It might actually be a good idea to get my birth certificate....who knows i might be 28!

Yes my dear R Lee...."i really just have today....."....isn't today such a wonderful gift?

So what have we got here? Dodgy bus service with even dogier bus drivers.....dear ole Blighty being constantly drenched in rain. The train service (that to use in Blighty requires re-mortgaging) has ground to a halt because a sensationally naughty leaf glided gently onto the tracks...(a huge debt of gratitude therefore owed to the fellow...or Lass, that invented windscreen wipers) and i lean on my walking stick and i think to myself.......what a wonderful world.

I shuffle along with the commuters of the day grumbling into their newspapers and watch the street dogs meeting up for the beginning of their scrounging day. I watch the children fighting their way to school and parents fighting their way home, and i think to myself.......what a wonderful world.

I sit on the bus on the way home, surrounded by people yet feeling alone. I wipe away the breath from the windows and look at all the passing souls....and i wonder......do they think it is a wonderful world?

10 months ago we were all Charlie Hebdo....today we are all Parisians, yes dear R Lee, tomorrow is a mystery.

Within me is an inane sense, an intrinsic and "can't do anything about it knowing" that after all....i think to myself.....what a wonderful world.

That will keep me sober today.

Be peaceful, be healthy and be strong. Loveness to you my dear R Lee.
Unread 11-17-2015, 11:43 AM   #38
gmasusie

Well said, Tryn. It's odd; I don't feel alone, I just feel lonely for Monty. I'm glad for my alone time. I need to rethink this wonderful world. I thank you all for helping me stay sober and for helping me not feel alone.
Unread 11-17-2015, 11:48 AM   #39
R. Lee

Tryn, I could feel alone on a crowded bus. I do not feel alone otherwise. I have my friends here & my friends in the support group of recovering alcoholics that I belong to.
Unread 11-17-2015, 02:26 PM   #40
Millie

I too am most alone in a crowd. Funny how that can work.

And I too thank all of you for not being another crowd. Having people to talk to about this stuff who actually understand has made such a huge difference.
Millie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2015, 12:11 AM   #41
gmasusie

The "synergy" sure makes a difference.
Unread 11-21-2015, 03:01 PM   #42
lostdog

I feel alone if everyone is talking to someone else, but then I don't feel as alone after going to that CBT training. I live in the moment and don't think as much of the negative things. Just try to be positive and know that I'm really not so chatty about dumb stuff anyway, so I don't worry too much.
lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to lostdog For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-21-2015)
Unread 11-22-2015, 12:50 PM   #43
R. Lee

Good job LD.
Unread 11-26-2015, 01:46 AM   #44
gmasusie

LD, I think you are building self-esteem! You deserve it!
Unread 11-26-2015, 11:01 AM   #45
R. Lee

Hi Everyone, Happy Thanksgiving. It is the start of the holiday season. It can be a tough time for alcoholics. Think through that 1st. urge to drink.
Unread 11-26-2015, 04:21 PM   #46
Frankie

I second what Lee said; Happy Thanksgiving to all! Take care.
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Frankie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-27-2015)
Unread 11-27-2015, 11:03 AM   #47
R. Lee

How are you doing Frankie.
Unread 11-27-2015, 02:26 PM   #48
Frankie

I guess I'm doing ok Lee other than having this flu like crap that's going around and doesn't want to leave.

I'm thinking of trying something that doesn't work for most, and never has worked for me in the past, but will try not drinking after New Years. How many times have we all tried that?

You see that way we have an excuse to drink now (not me being sick at the present) and just pay later. Doesn't that make perfect sense? Doesn't that sound like a great idea? Of course it doesn't, and I'm being very angrily sarcastic!

Just reading the words I've written pi$$$$ me off to no end!! I hope someone asks me how the drinking is going after new years, and if I'm drinking, I hope I have to eat s$$$.

Enough of my angry fit. How are things going your way Lee? I hope all got through thanksgiving without drinking. This time of year is hard for a lot of us, if not most. Take care all.
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2015, 11:07 PM   #49
R. Lee

Frankie, You have been a member here for about the same time as me. I get the sense that drinking is not getting better for you. As you know it is your choice to go on or try to stop. You know I love & care for you as other here do. Yes check in after the 1st & let us know how it is going.

It is a day to day thing for me & the sober time has added up. I am truly grateful for my sober time.

Have a great holiday season.
2 Users Say Thank You to R. Lee For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-28-2015), Thank You (11-28-2015)
Unread 12-29-2015, 03:32 PM   #50
Tryntryagain

I think for the first time i can remember i do not have the circumstances that most will have over the difficult time of new year/new years eve and whatnot. It will be easy for me to be safe.

However i know it will be a real challenge for many of us over this time. I wish i could say, knowing most will have alot going on, what i would do to keep myself safe. Being safe simply means what i would like for myself. How i know being me works best.

My heart goes out to any of our brothers and sisters that maybe, and will feel the pressure over this time. Pop in and share here. It might make a huge difference.

It does not mean we can not enjoy the new year, just we will enjoy it far better sober.

Huge Loveness to you my dear R Lee.