Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 09-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
31MOMof2

Default Starting to taper

Hello everyone, I had a lil rough patch last time I posted. I almost stopped taking my subs and went back to pills, But I got busy with work and life and stuck it out. Feeling much better now days. I have decided to start a slow taper . I got the book Healing the Addicted Brain. Ive been trying to read here and there. I know my trigger is stress and im working on that now. I get online and read post here almost everyday. Because of work I dont make it to chat tho
I stayed on 4mg this whole time, and I just dropped to 3mg and have been there about 4 days. Not in a rush to taper just wana start so I have plenty of time. Their are many days I forget to take my sub so I think its time i start tapering now.
31MOMof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi 31MOMof2, I'm glad you stuck it out and are doing better! But I'm sorry you can't get to chat now.

That's great that you're going to start tapering. Have you noticed any difference going to 3mg?

Good to 'see' you again!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
Renee01

31MOMof2, congrats on your success! That's truly amazing you go days without your sub and don't notice. I agree that you are ready, but not being in too big of a hurry is smart! I think I'm going to look into buying that book. Sounds interesting and I need a little more help.
Renee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
31MOMof2

Renee.. Im sorry i didnt mean I go days without taking my sub, I just mean their are many days that i forget to take it, I usualy remember to take it by the afternoon, once in awhile i skip a dose all togather but only a cpl times ive done that. Sorry i guess i should have worded that better, and thank you for your support So i went to the Dr. today, told him I wana start my taper and jump off around Xmas. I will be off work for 2-4 around xmas so i think that will be a good time, Nancy i feel good at 3mg. Gona drop to 2mg prob monday. Wana go long and slow. I have learned so much from this site, and i dont realy know if i would be this far in recovery without it. I am so lucky to be able to come here for support and answers. Thank you all and especially Nancy so much.
Unread 09-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
31MOMof2

I meant to type im off work for 2-4 weeks around xmas.. Duhhhh lol
Unread 09-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
Mary

Hey 31MOMof2, very cool you got through your rough patch and was proactive and figured that out about stress triggering you.

Slow is the way to go. Hey, that rhymes. LOL Annnnnnnyways, yeah, if you go slow so you're not uncomfortable, that's the way to do it. Try not to set a jump date. I found that it was easier mentally to not have a date because I know I'd start getting pissed at myself if I didn't jump or if I did and wasn't ready. Are you gonna be busy when you're off work at xmas? That's another thing that helped me. I kept working through it and exercised every day. Even if I didn't feel like it.

If going right to 2 doesn't work, don't sweat it, 'k? You always do 2 and 3 alternating and that's 2.5. I did .5mg drops from 2mg to 0mg every two weeks. That worked for me BUT I also didn't over think it and kept it in my head that I'd stay on a dose longer or go back up if I felt shitty.

Positive tapering energy! -Mary
Unread 09-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
NancyB
Administrator

Hi 31MOMof2, is your doctor supportive of your taper? Hopefully he'll be a good support and help during the process.

Mary has good advice in case going to 2 doesn't quite work. That's a 33% reduction - which is still a good percentage. Some doctors say 10% at a time is a good way to reduce. So, just give yourself some wiggle room and if it doesn't work, it's not a big deal. That's all IF it doesn't. Fingers crossed there's no problem at all!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 09-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
31MOMof2

Yes he is suppotive Nancy, and thank you both for the advice and positive enegry. I can always use both.. So far all my drops have been easy. Hope it stays that way.. I asked dr about some comfort meds when i stop the subs and he said sure. Oh and yes Mary, i have 2 kids so i will def be busy with my time off in december lol.. I will keep ya all posted. Thanks!!!
Unread 09-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
NancyB
Administrator

Hi 31MOMof2, that's great that your is supportive. That will be a big help, especially for the comfort meds IF you need them.

Sounds like you'll definitely be busy on your time off!

Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Nancy
Unread 09-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
31MOMof2

Didnt drop to 2mg yesterday cuz i had to work a double and didnt wana risk feeln crappy, think im gona drop today
Unread 09-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #11
Want2beclean

What mg are you at now? If u did feel anything when u droped it takes a few days. I felt nothing from 16mg to 1mg so go ahead and try to drop. Few days I felt weak but nothing bad at all. Staying busy at work helped me. Goodluck
Unread 09-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #12
31MOMof2

Ive been at 4mg for like 2months, 3mg for about a week or 2, so im gona drop to 2mg today. I wana try to taper down and jump off around december.
Unread 09-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #13
Want2beclean

Youll do fine at 2mg. Once I reached 2mg I did the 1.5mg then went to 1mg. You can do 2mg one day and 1mg the next to equal out to 1.5mg, thats if you have trouble cutting strips or pills to 1.5mg. Sounds like you have plenty of time to be off by December.
Unread 09-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #14
NancyB
Administrator

Hi 31MOMof2, fingers crossed that going to 2mg isn't a problem at all like Lyndsay said.

Keep a positive attitude and exercise.

Let us know!

Nancy
Unread 09-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #15
31MOMof2

Day 2 at 2mg.. So far so good! Tomorrow will prob be the true test. I Will keep ya'll posted!
Unread 09-14-2012, 07:26 AM   #16
NancyB
Administrator

Hi 31MOMof2, just checking in to see how you're doing. Fingers crossed you didn't notice a thing!

Nancy
Unread 09-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #17
31MOMof2

So far i feel no different, im gona stay at 2mg for awhile i think.
Unread 09-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #18
Want2beclean

Glad u made it to 2mg with no problems. I agree stay put for awhile at 2mg.
Unread 09-15-2012, 07:46 AM   #19
NancyB
Administrator

Hi 31MOMof2, great news! I agree, good idea staying at 2mg for a bit.

Keep us posted!

Nancy
Unread 09-17-2012, 06:35 AM   #20
Leo

Hi 31MOMof2. My name is Leo. I have been reading your thread with interest because I am currently taking 4mg. Can I ask did you feel any withdrawal going from 4 to 3mg? I ask this because I want to begin reducing in two to three weeks and not sure whether I might be better off by reducing by .4mg.
Over here in the UK we get .4mg tablets so if I wish i could just reduce by .4mg at a time. I too have a target date of around xmas to be off the stuff but after reading other experiences on this site and talking with my addiction doctor I will not put myself under pressure and if it takes a little while longer then so be it.
As for comfort meds towards the end of my taper I plan on using Lyrica which I am already prescribed for anxiety. I also get prozac for depression. My plan together with my doctor is to eventually get off all meds starting with bup. I can say from previous experience that Lyrica is an excellent comfort med and helps with all the symptoms including sleep. Though one has to be careful as this med too can be addictive if abused though nowhere near as badly as valium, opiates, alcohol etc . Though if used carefully it can really help relieve the discomfort felt after totally stopping the subs.
Good luck with your taper 31MOMof2 I shall be watching your progress. Also may I send my very best wishes to all of the wonderful people in the USA!!
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #21
31MOMof2

How awesome is it to get and give support from someone in another country!! Lol.. To answer your question, I have not noticed any uncomfortable side effects. I dropped to 3mg for a couple weeks then to 2mg and I feel good. I am taking a tylenol here and there because im feeln a few aches and pains, but nothing bad at all. It feels good to be on a low dose. Im feeling emotions and feelings again and I enjoy it. Im reading and trying to absorb any info that will help me stay sober. Unfortunatly I work almost 60 hrs a week and i dont have time for groups or therapy, only when i see my dr once a month. So im working on finding ways to deal with stress and letting my brain heal. Good luck to you, and dont worry. You will be fine. Keep us posted!!
Unread 09-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #22
NancyB
Administrator

Hi 31MOMof2, when you have a chance, take a peek at this thread and the CBT link. That might be helpful in learning to deal with anxiety. A few people here have found that it is helpful.
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=22482

Keep up the fabulous work!

Nancy
Unread 10-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #23
31MOMof2

Still at 2mgs. Think i will give it another week or so then try the drop to 1mg. Nothing new to report. I pretty much have no life, lol. All i do is work it seems. Feels good to have that $ in the bank and not spend it on pills!! Im also paying my mom to clean my house on mondays now. That makes life a lil easier. I am takn my son to an NFL game thurs. Just wana spend a lil 1on1 time with him. Should be fun!! Ok I will check back in, and Nancy I will check out those links. Thanks
Unread 10-03-2012, 06:44 AM   #24
Leo

Hi Ya

Thanks for the reply 31MOMof2. I agree it is awsome doing this. When I first explored recovery groups there was no such sites as this, just e-mails. This, I find, is brilliant and opens up all sorts of help and educational material. People like Nancy pointing us to helpful sites as well as offering advice and support is an excellent, and massive, resource!

Keep up the good work and keep in touch.

Leo
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #25
NancyB
Administrator

Hi 31MOMof2, glad you're well! No news is good news, right? Good to hear you're having your mom clean your house - that will give YOU some extra time, which you deserve.

Have fun at the football game!

Nancy
Unread 10-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #26
31MOMof2

At the dr, wondering is hes gona switch me to the strips. kinda wish he would, prob easier to cut than the pills that crumble. Still on 2 mg. thinkn about droppn a lil next week.
Unread 10-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #27
theswan

Leo, the bigger jumps are usually not noticed. In fact if you go slow enough, you may feel no subjective discomfort.

Just follow a sensible schedule (you "over there" say this word funny, or is it the other way around?LOL) Small drops in dose and you will be fine. Try and stay out of your own head (I've heard it was enemy territory) In other words, do not go looking for trouble.

My taper was slow in fact the first year I stayed at 16mg then once I decided to quit I stuck to my schedule (there's that word again) And took my time taking 7-10 days or more between dose reductions, even took more one day due to pain at the opera (seats tiny, me not so)

God bless all this will be done!

Glen

Last edited by theswan; 10-05-2012 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: grammer
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #28
NancyB
Administrator

Hi 31MOMof2, did you get the strips? I hope so, they sure would be a lot easier to cut down smaller than the pills.

Let us know!

Nancy