Addiction Survivors

Notices

Reply
Unread 11-29-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
banana26
Member
 
Posts: 39
Default Is it time to start taper?

Hello all- I started my suboxon treatment Aug 6th 2010. My doctor put me on 4mg three times a day in the beginning. Since then I have been on the same dose, now taking 8mg in the morning and 4mg in the evening. In the past week or so I have been increasingly more tired. SO tired. Absolutely no motivation. I can't tell if it is just the change of season, (I despise winter) or if it is, in fact, time to reduce my dosage.
If I do taper down would it be better to go down to 10mg? and if so should I shave the 2mg off my morning dose or evening dose? My doctor is off on an emergency until January. I have been seeing someone else to get my script and like I said I thought I was fine up until about week ago.
So far suboxon has always made me tired but this is extreme fatigue like I can't get enough sleep.
Before this I was abusing heroin for two years straight so it might possibly be that I am vitamin deprived. I eat a lot of fruit and veggies everyday and get 9-10 hrs of sleep per night. Thanks for your help.
banana26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
bizzby45
Senior Member
 
bizzby45's Avatar
 
Posts: 671
Default

it sounds like you need to break up your dose. I started on 12mg, i was addicted to oxys for four years. I started 12 mg in february, in september i started to feel drowsy when i took a full sub in the morning, i then started taking half in the am and half in the pm. Now, over two months later i am taking a quarter in the morning, a quarter in the afternoon and if needed a quarter in the evening. I dont know if you need to taper yet, it all depends on the person, i would def talk to your doc beffore starting a taper. What you could do is try splitting the dose into 2mg doses, or see how you feel if you take 2mg less for a couple days. but again i would talk to your doc before tapering. hope that helps!!
bizzby45 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to bizzby45 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-02-2010)
Unread 11-30-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
NancyB
Administrator
 
Posts: 25,466
Default

Hi banana26, if you're getting that tired, it could be a signal for a dose reduction. Many people don't have a problem going from 12 to 8, so you could give that a try. You could even try just taking your dose in the morning, eliminating the evening dose, then you'd be down to just taking it once a day, which is optimal - because of the long halflife, there's really no reason to take it more than once a day, unless you're also utilizing it for pain.

It could take a couple days to notice a reduction (if you do, in fact, notice one at all). If you do get cravings and/or WDs then you could try just going back up 2mg to 10mg a day and see if that's better.

Is your interim doctor someone you can talk with about the reduction? If not, you could just give it a try and hopefully it will help as that extreme fatigue is generally a signal that the dose has become too much.

Hope that all makes sense. Let us know what you think.

Nancy
__________________
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 07:52 AM   #4
NancyB
Administrator
 
Posts: 25,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzby45 View Post
Now, over two months later i am taking a quarter in the morning, a quarter in the afternoon and if needed a quarter in the evening.
Hi bizzyby45, when you say you take an additional 4mg if needed, are you getting cravings or withdrawals at that point? How often do you take the additional 4mg?

Generally, it's best to stay at the same dose every day. Going up and down on the dose causes fluctuations in the blood levels and oftentimes make patients not feel that great - especially because of the 37-hour halflife. Also, the less emphasis on the medication, the better, that's why once-a-day dosing is suggested. It lets the patient concentrate on things other than the medication.

Maybe this is something to talk with your doctor about - the same dose every day. I hope that helps, just want to you feel the best you can.

Nancy
__________________
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-16-2010)
Unread 11-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #5
toms
Senior Member
 
toms's Avatar
 
Posts: 880
Default

You haven't even been on suboxone six months and you are worried about tapering off? From your description, it sounds as though you haven't even stabilized your dose! You also didn't mention the rest of your recovery program.
__________________
Tom S.
toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
deanna
Senior Member
 
deanna's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,083
Default

Suboxone stays in your system for 3 days, so there is no reason to be needing the medication 3 times a day, unless you are using it for pain control, and then it is used in small doses for that. The best thing to do is to stabalize your dose at once a day....in the morning. Once you have achieved that, you can work on decreasing your dose in small incremements every two weeks or once a month as long as you are feeling good and not experiencing cravings. Take things one at a time.....first get stabalized at once a day, work on fixing things in your life that are broken, work a recovery plan, and every thing will fall into place. Too many people want to rush to get off the medication, and they shouldnt. If you were a diabetic, you wouldnt be rushing to get off the insulin....right? Same concept. Good luck! Deanna
__________________
"Its you vs. you"
deanna is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Users Say Thank You to deanna For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-16-2010), Thank You (11-30-2010), Thank You (11-30-2010), Thank You (12-04-2010), Thank You (11-30-2010)
Unread 12-02-2010, 11:27 PM   #7
banana26
Member
 
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyB View Post
Hi banana26, if you're getting that tired, it could be a signal for a dose reduction. Many people don't have a problem going from 12 to 8, so you could give that a try. You could even try just taking your dose in the morning, eliminating the evening dose, then you'd be down to just taking it once a day, which is optimal - because of the long halflife, there's really no reason to take it more than once a day, unless you're also utilizing it for pain.

It could take a couple days to notice a reduction (if you do, in fact, notice one at all). If you do get cravings and/or WDs then you could try just going back up 2mg to 10mg a day and see if that's better.

Is your interim doctor someone you can talk with about the reduction? If not, you could just give it a try and hopefully it will help as that extreme fatigue is generally a signal that the dose has become too much.

Hope that all makes sense. Let us know what you think.

Nancy
Thanks Nancy for the advice. After speaking with my temporary doctor he advised me to try taking 6mg in the morning and the usual 4mg in the evening. One thing I have noticed and this may sound a little strange but when I take my evening dose around 5:30-6pm I feel like it gives me a little "boost." I work until 8:30 every night and then have an hour drive home so for some reason it makes me more alert. Otherwise I would just start taking my dose only once a day.
It's too early to tell if the 2mg really makes a difference, not sure if it will too much. Can't wait for my primary doctor to come back.
I appreciate the help and figured it would be a good idea to get some feedback from all of you before I just reduced my dose on my own or asked my doctor about it. THANKS!
banana26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 11:33 PM   #8
banana26
Member
 
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms View Post
You haven't even been on suboxone six months and you are worried about tapering off? From your description, it sounds as though you haven't even stabilized your dose! You also didn't mention the rest of your recovery program.
Hello Toms- I wasn't sure if you were addressing your comment to me or not. Forgive me if I made it sound like I was wanting to taper OFF suboxone... I was wondering if I should just lower my dose. umm but you might not even be talking to me so I'm confused.
banana26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 12:08 AM   #9
banana26
Member
 
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanna View Post
Suboxone stays in your system for 3 days, so there is no reason to be needing the medication 3 times a day, unless you are using it for pain control, and then it is used in small doses for that. The best thing to do is to stabalize your dose at once a day....in the morning. Once you have achieved that, you can work on decreasing your dose in small incremements every two weeks or once a month as long as you are feeling good and not experiencing cravings. Take things one at a time.....first get stabalized at once a day, work on fixing things in your life that are broken, work a recovery plan, and every thing will fall into place. Too many people want to rush to get off the medication, and they shouldnt. If you were a diabetic, you wouldnt be rushing to get off the insulin....right? Same concept. Good luck! Deanna
I agree with you all the way. Except I don't have any desire to rush off my suboxone treatment. Long taper all the way for me, right here! I just thought my extreme drowsiness was a sign that I needed to reduce my dosage and I figured I would get advice from everyone here before I did anything. I wasn't sure if I got my message across clearly, didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea or anything. Thanks for taking the time to write to me.
banana26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 07:36 AM   #10
NancyB
Administrator
 
Posts: 25,466
Default

Hi banana26, it can take a few days to notice a dose reduction, so hopefully you'll have some good results soon and not be as tired. Some people do get a little bit of energy from the Suboxone, but it doesn't last very long. Please just be careful in that you don't use that as a reason to keep taking it later in the day, or if you start to 'look forward' to it, that's a signal that you might want to change it because that's reminiscent to active addiction - watching the clock or looking forward to taking it. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Glad your doctor will back soon. Let us know how you're doing!

Nancy
__________________
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-16-2010)
Unread 12-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
deanna
Senior Member
 
deanna's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana26 View Post
I agree with you all the way. Except I don't have any desire to rush off my suboxone treatment. Long taper all the way for me, right here! I just thought my extreme drowsiness was a sign that I needed to reduce my dosage and I figured I would get advice from everyone here before I did anything. I wasn't sure if I got my message across clearly, didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea or anything. Thanks for taking the time to write to me.
Hi banana26.... Yes, I agree that your drowsiness is a sign to reduce your dose. I am glad you are going to take your time with the medication phase of treatment. Nancy said it perfectly in the last post, as long as you arent splitting it up looking forward to taking extra. Just try to get to taking it once a day and stay there for a while, and then start reducing as your body tells you. And keep up the great work
__________________
"Its you vs. you"
deanna is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to deanna For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-16-2010)
Unread 12-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #12
toms
Senior Member
 
toms's Avatar
 
Posts: 880
Default

Talk to your doc....we have no idea about the totality of your medical condition. Your dose *may* be too much, but you're new in treatment. It seems very common for addicts on sub to assume everything they feel to sub. Are you sleeping adequately? Are you taking other meds? We don't know....many things could be going on.

When you talk to your doc, check into once/day dosing, too.
__________________
Tom S.
toms is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to toms For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-06-2010)
Unread 12-05-2010, 11:22 AM   #13
deanna
Senior Member
 
deanna's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,083
Default

Toms....banana26 said they were going to talk to the doctor when they got back, and is just seeking advice in the meantime with others experience. Chill out dude.........
__________________
"Its you vs. you"
deanna is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to deanna For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-16-2010), Thank You (12-05-2010)
Unread 05-20-2011, 11:35 PM   #14
1strongbeauty
Junior Member
 
Posts: 5
Default

I think you should start with your morning dose, so that you can sleep well in the evening after taking your last dose.
1strongbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2014 Addiction Survivors