Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 06-15-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
38special

Smile new to site and suboxone. need advice

Hello everyone. I am new here This is my first time trying to get some support for this. I have a question for you that are experienced with suboxone. I have been on methadone for 3 years. I began the taper process in january, from 30mg, all the way down to 6mg last week. Since tapering from 10mg and under, I had a really hard time with the withdrawal symptoms, so decided to make the switch to suboxone. I just want to know, since I'm already in the taper process, how much longer I should stay on suboxone. My doctor is talking another year, but if I would have been off methadone in about 5 weeks, why would I need to drag it out yet another year? I am definitely ready to be done with treatment, however, don't want to rush the process either. I would like to talk to someone that was tapering from methadone and switched to suboxone. Any advice on when to start tapering would be greatly appreciated. I am currently on 2mg of suboxone, just started yesterday. May need to go up to 4mg, but am not sure yet. Only my second day, so I'll see how the day goes.
38special is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi 38special, welcome. The tapering off should be a joint decision between the patient and the doctor. Did the doctor say why you'd have to be on Suboxone for a year? When you were taking methadone, did you utilize other tools so that you'd have a good foundation of recovery for when you were medication free; such as counseling and groups; did you make the changes you needed to make - people, places, things - fix everything that may have been damaged during active addiction? Those are all things that will help in the success of any recovery program.

How are you feeling on the 2mg? Just be mindful that the Suboxone will build up in your system because it has a halflife of around 37 hours, so if you're looking for a short detox, that might be helpful information for you.

You can also see how you're doing against the COWS, which is on page 2 of this link:
http://www.naabt.org/documents/NAABT_PrecipWD.pdf

Hopefully those who have switched from methadone will reply soon.

Again, welcome.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (06-15-2010)
Unread 06-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
38special

Smile Thank you

Thank you so much for your response And the welcome Nancy. I am doing pretty good today and am not having any withdrawal symptoms yet, except I did have trouble sleeping last night. I cannot get a straight answer out of my doctor as to the amount of time it will take to start tapering. She told me my body will know when it's ready but then mentioned a years time a few times. I personally don't want to be on suboxone for that long. As far a fixing things that need to be fixed, I did disassociate myself with my old "friends" and have far removed myself from any situation or person that would put me back there. The clinic I go to does not offer any counseling or any help on what to do for the medication free stage, it's more of a dispensary, so I'm kind of at a loss to what my next steps are. This site is the first thing I have done to try and get help beyond the medication. I cannot afford counseling as the doctors visits and suboxone are eating up all the money. I know I don't want to join a group that I would have to attend in person because I need my anonimity. I did pick up a couple books on addiction recovery and joined with the here to help program. I'm aware I'm limiting myself with no counseling or na groups, but there must be other things to do? thank you so much for your advice. Anything helps.
Unread 06-15-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
lisa226969

Hey 38special- I just happened to stumble on here, and noticed you mentioned reading books. I too have gotten a lot out of books...and THIS SITE. I too need to remain anonymous, and wouldn't attend local meetings here (although, I have thought about a few towns over) Anyhow...not sure if you have it already, but one book that I really enjoyed is called Healing The Addicted Brain. It has a lot of info in it that might help. Just wanted to mention it...and say hi. Take care...Lisa
lisa226969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 12:07 AM   #5
38special

Hey Lisa, thanks so much for the book recommendation. I will definitely check it out. Have you read the book 7 Tools to beat addiction? It's about recovery without the use of a 12 step program. not saying that a 12 step group or self help group is bad. I, just like you, need to remain anonymous. I just picked it up this evening and have already received alot of good info. I also just joined this site today, and it has been so helpful to me already. Thanks again for sharing. It's greatly appreciated.
Unread 06-16-2010, 01:58 AM   #6
lisa226969

Hey 38special- Great to hear from you. I am not sure if I have read 7 Tools to beat Addiction, but I am going to check my book "stash" tomorrow, to see if I have it. God knows I have read books on Addiction for a while...of course, at the time I didn't think I had a problem...of course I now know I do..and DID. Anyhow....I certainly am NOT against any program that will save a person's life...I just find that I do better reading in the comforts of my own home.

I also spent a year reading over this forum, before I ever decided to FINALLY make the jump to Subs. This site, and all the wonderful people on it, MOST DEFINATELY SAVED MY LIFE. Keep posting, and if I run into any other books for ya, I will let ya know....take care..and have a wonderful evening..oops, it is already morning..OK, have a wonderful day tomorrow..look forward to hearing how you are doing. Take care....Lisa
lisa226969 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to lisa226969 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (06-18-2010)
Unread 06-16-2010, 07:50 AM   #7
GratefullyRecovering

Hi 38special! Welcome to the forum! And also glad to hear you are making the step to get off methadone and on suboxone! That's great!

As for your anonymity, NA and AA are both very strict about anonymity, so I am certain you would not be "revealed" to the world that you are an addict. I go to meetings with many important people in my city who's reputations could be easily be damaged, but that has NEVER happened. I say all this because I tried to do the methadone to suboxone thing in the past. I stayed on the suboxone for 3 months, then relapsed a month after getting off te medication. This happened because I had no real tools for recovery or how to ilve life without a substance involved in it. AA and NA give you a whole set of tools to use and people to help you learn them. If you refuse to go to meetings I would at least suggest that you get the AA big book text as well as the NA basic text and use them as a guide in your recovery. They are both available online.

http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/

http://www.na.org/?ID=ips-index

I wish you the best of luck in your recovery!
GratefullyRecovering is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to GratefullyRecovering For This Useful Post:
Thank You (06-20-2010)
Unread 06-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
Julnjer

My sub doctor does not offer counseling either, but I just made an appt. with a therapist for next week. I will let him know everything going on so he can help me through this. I told the receptionist the situation I am in, and she said the man I will be seeing is appropriate for my situat. I am excited because I want to do this right. I am feeling a little irritable on the subs today, does anyone else go through this. But the irritablility is better than the altrernative. I never want to touch a hydro again.
All I do is remember what i felt like and how my life seemed non-existent. I feel alive again after two years of feeling dead! Thanks.
Julnjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2010, 12:46 AM   #9
38special

Thanks to GratefullyRecovering for the great links. I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate all the great advice I've been given. Thanks! And to juljner , haven't experienced any irritability yet, but it's only been four days. Good luck with your therapy session.
Unread 06-19-2010, 08:37 AM   #10
NancyB
Administrator

Hi 38special, how's it going? Let us know when you get a chance.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #11
HumboldtGrown

Also, if you're worried about staying in she shadows, you can always go to an NA meeting out of town or the next town over. The ones here are offered in several surrounding towns and I'd never recognized anyone there before.

Suboxone is about functioning without the use of drugs (except it) but for some like me, it set me up with a furthered need to keep taking something to keep me "normal" everyday. After 3 years on it, it was very hard to get off of and I wouldn't recommend being on longer than you have to or taking any more than makes you feel okay.
HumboldtGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 11:22 AM   #12
Sub-Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtGrown View Post
Also, if you're worried about staying in she shadows, you can always go to an NA meeting out of town or the next town over. The ones here are offered in several surrounding towns and I'd never recognized anyone there before.

Suboxone is about functioning without the use of drugs (except it) but for some like me, it set me up with a furthered need to keep taking something to keep me "normal" everyday. After 3 years on it, it was very hard to get off of and I wouldn't recommend being on longer than you have to or taking any more than makes you feel okay.
I was on sub for 7 years. I wouldn't recommend anyone staying on any drug any longer than they have to. I had to for 7 years because that's how long it took me to implement major changes in my life. And nobody should take more of any drug than they need. That's why we say the right dose is the lowest dose that stops cravings and withdrawal. I tried a short treatment and failed because I hadn't changed my routines and didn't have time to get used to life without the escape of opioids. I see many people make the mistake of getting off too soon because they get scared into it.

HumboldtGrown was on for 3 years and it worked, how many times do we see people who are on for short periods and it doesn't work? The lesson here is to stay on it as long as it takes you to fix your life and get used to living without addiction, whether that's 6 months or 7 years.
Sub
Sub-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote