Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 04-28-2010, 10:34 PM   #1
aj1000

Default How bad will it be?

I've been reading some posts here and now I'm a little scared. I went on Suboxone February 16 of this year, then after about 30 days of seeing a Dr. and being on 8mgs a day, my insurance cut me off (military won't pay at all). So I've been buying them through friends of friends until now, but now I can't find anymore. So I was taking about 2mgs for the last month or so now, then 1mg for a few days now I'm out. I'm scared of what I'm going to feel like. Will it be easier for me because I was only on them for 2 or so months? I really would love to continue to take the subs, but I'm out of options now. I do have a rx for clonodine and ambien. Is there anything else I could do?
aj1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 09:22 AM   #2
Mike

Suboxone suppresses the withdrawal that you would have had. It doesn't make much difference how much sub you took or how long you took it. What matters is how addicted you were when you started and how much you changed that since being in treatment. Since you haven't been in long, your withdrawal would be about the same as it would have been had you never started sub. Except, it will come on a little slower as the sub wears off. If you were seriously addicted before starting it could last for a long time, if you were mildly dependent it might only last 5-7 days. If I were you I'd find some way to get more sub and do a very slow taper. Some doctors will prescribe it for pain and they don't need to be certified to do so, good luck.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
toms

It won't be pleasant, but it almost certainly won't be as bad as you fear. Mike's post was well-written, and states reality quite plainly. I get tired of hearing complaints from people who seem to believe that their time on ORT increased their level of addiction. That completely discounts their problems leading to treatment. Hopefully, those drugs you have are prescribed by a doctor who is advising you on detox.

There is an excellent "how-to" detox guide posted online by a guy called Peter McDermott (sp?). It helped me to get through some horrible withdrawals.
Unread 04-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
aj1000

I wouldn't consider myself seriously addicted, I was taking maybe 10 5mg percs or vicodin a day. Today I feel really anxious, low energy, diaharrea, basic w/drawl. I do have chronic back problems and the sub was really helping with that too. But the dang military docs want nothing to do with suboxone. They'd rather send me to a $15000 treatment center, its stupid. If I can make it through the w/drawl, I'd really like to get off everything, I feel strong enough to be drug free. But I'm already trying to figure out a way I can get some subs or pain meds just to help me through. It's all I can think about right now. Thanks so much for your advice, it's nice to have someone to talk to.
aj1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
Madison7

The intensity of wd's vary from person to person. Can you afford say.....6 pills? Maybe you could explain things to the doctor (I recommend asking for his nurse), and he could call you in a few? 6 pills would be around $40-$50 and at 1mg per day and then maybe 0.5mgs per day, that would last awhile. I have tapered from 24mgs to 2mgs. I didn't have problems until I went from 4mgs to 2mgs. Lately its been tough. I only have 10.5 pills left. I have got to get to 1mg very soon.
Madison7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
HumboldtGrown

Why no treatment center? My god I would have loved that, and thought I might have needed it - I've heard of people going and the tx centers making them flush their suboxone and go through rough withdrawals until they're done then using STRONG therapy, like cognitive behavioral, stress management, and coping skills trainings to actually do the underlying fix (not just replacing one drug for another) yet this still doesn't work for many people. Just plain suboxone worked for me and the withdrawals weren't that bad.

Stopped the 3rd of April off of .5mg (which sucked bad enough anyway I was ready to stop,) for about 1 1/2 weeks after I wasn't feeling okay, then started to after what seemed like forever but was only 9 days. Now, it's been exactly 1 month, and I feel ABSOLUTELY normal, it's like a miracle I'm free!! I'd encourage this for anyone who can do it without relapsing!!

Can you afford to find another suboxone doctor? It would be better than going back to any other opiate if you think you're going to relapse, find a sub doctor quick, otherwise, it's not the worst thing in the world you'll get through it. Oh, and if you go a while w/out suboxone and then get your hands on some, take as little as possible - it will work if you've been off for a few days way better than the daily use, and you will have withdrawals again. On my 15th day, I took a tiny piece (like .25mg) and felt great but then had withdrawals exactly 36 hours later all over again. so not worth it!!
HumboldtGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
toms

To me, a treatment center is a luxury. Thousands of folks have kicked, and the biggest part of them did so on their own.