Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 03-23-2015, 11:35 PM   #1
Beachboy619

Hi I'm new on the forum. But have read it time to time over the years. I'm 7 yrs on and off subs. 90% of the time 2mg or less. I have lots of experience cold turkey kicks off h. However I think I'm kind of a baby now because it's been so long and the memories are miserable. I'm so stoked for you all who have jumped off subs. Truly inspirational. My question for you is gaining the energy and motivation to exercise when coming down. I exercise very much daily and know it will make all the difference when I jump but just curious about that for when I make the final move. Best to all. Cheers
Beachboy619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2015, 08:28 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Beachboy619, welcome. I think that over the years, it seems like people knew they'd feel better after exercising, so that was a motivator. Especially because it gets the natural endorphins going and, for some, it also helped them to sleep at night.

Hoping others chime in here!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-25-2015)
Unread 03-25-2015, 11:41 PM   #3
Beachboy619

Hi Nancy,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, even while living day to day on sub I am equall dependent on exercise for endorphin levels. I ran 3-6 miles 5-6 days a week fir last couple years but the ankles after 35 plus years of skateboarding just can't hadl it any more. Luckily where I live I can paddle board a few miles a day now. Thing is based past experiences "kicking" I know I barely want to get off the couch to eat much less run or exercise. But I will say to everyone exercise is key to living on subs and I'm sure key to tapering off of subs as well. I am so so soooo tired of being "half of myself" on subs. I'm normally very extroverted and hi energy. Needless to say subs have robbed me of that way of life. I very much regret taking the easy way out and doing subs wheni did. I should have roughed a hArd kick and been done. Because I still got High over the years anyway using subs as a crutch.
I kicked two years of methadone in 04' and that left a horrible taste in my mouth ever since. Ugh! But if I could do tht I can jump off subs.
Reading posts of people success like jojo is great motivator.
Thanks all for the inspiration. We are all able to to this, we just have to face the inevitable.
Cheers.
Unread 03-25-2015, 11:45 PM   #4
Beachboy619

Cool Inevitable

Hi Nancy,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, even while living day to day on sub I am equall dependent on exercise for endorphin levels. I ran 3-6 miles 5-6 days a week fir last couple years but the ankles after 35 plus years of skateboarding just can't hadl it any more. Luckily where I live I can paddle board a few miles a day now. Thing is based past experiences "kicking" I know I barely want to get off the couch to eat much less run or exercise. But I will say to everyone exercise is key to living on subs and I'm sure key to tapering off of subs as well. I am so so soooo tired of being "half of myself" on subs. I'm normally very extroverted and hi energy. Needless to say subs have robbed me of that way of life. I very much regret taking the easy way out and doing subs wheni did (I had only been on a one or two week run, way back in 05'!) I should have roughed a semi- hArd kick and been done. Because I still got High over the last 7-8 years anyway using subs as a crutch between parties and runs.
I kicked two years of methadone in 04' and that left a horrible taste in my mouth ever since. Ugh! But if I could do tht I can jump off subs.
Reading posts of people success like jojo is great motivator.
Thanks all for the inspiration. We are all able to to this, we just have to face the inevitable.
Cheers.
Unread 03-26-2015, 08:07 AM   #5
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Beachboy619, one thing to think about is that if your Suboxone dose is too high, then that could be causing you to feel lethargic and introverted. How much are you taking now?

That's great that you have paddleboarding available to you. Do you like to swim too or is the way you have to extend your feet/ankles hurtful?

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2015, 10:07 AM   #6
GirlGettingOffSubs

Hi beachboy619,

Welcome! This is a great place. And I have to tell you I felt a lot like you when I was on subs. I am 22 days off, and feeling good. I did a long and slow taper, and exercised the whole time. I am not as athletic as you-stuck in Pennsylvania where the snow was horrendous all winter, but i did and still do workout videos every morning. I gained weight on subs, and it has been coming off. I was a gymnast for 13 years, and am back down to my fitter short self. (Gymnasts always hung out with the skaters growing up ☺️)

I never was on methadone but I have kicked h terribly in past and i can assure you coming off subs was nothing like that. For me it really wasn't bad, it just took what felt like forever to taper down, but that was fine for me because it really minimized the symptoms.

Are you planning on coming off? If so that's awesome. If you have any questions about how I tapered, I'd be happy to tell you. My doctor wasn't one to want people off subs, and I moved to a new area, saw a new doctor one time who changed me to bunavail which I never took anyhow, I just used the films I had pretty much stockpiled since I didn't take the 8mg as he prescribed for awhile. Like you, I was on around 2-4mg for awhile. I had been on subs the better part of 4 years. But exercise helps so much.

Anyhow the fear of how I would feel coming off was so much worse than I actually felt! I am blessed with a positive attitude which was so helpful.

Again, welcome and you are in the right place! (Which i am pretty sure is near the beach!)

Angie

Ps. On the nights I couldn't sleep well, I watched so many surfing documentaries on Netflix. They helped my endorphin levels. Haha.
GirlGettingOffSubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2015, 10:09 AM   #7
Dan458

I'm sure we've all heard the term "runner's high"? As I understand it, that's the feeling runners get when their exercise creates a flood of endorphins. I know the feeling of lethargy one gets when coming off opiates. It makes one feel like they are moving in slow motion when they walk. It's like we can count every blade of grass we pass as we trudge along. Its important to "push through" these feelings until the end of the exercise. By accomplishing an exercise, one gets a feeling of accomplishment. Plus, when we get through, we will get at least some percentage of that "runner's high". When seeking motivation, just think over and over, "runner's high", "runner's high". That's the kind of motivational pay off folks like us can understand.
Dan458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2015, 06:07 PM   #8
jenm

Hi Beachboy!

I jumped from sub the day before Christmas (3+ months ago) at close to 4mg daily. Long story of why, but I ran out, the dr. that treated me was out from a car accident, the story really is long but I jumped that day. Some days I took 2mg but it was more like 4mg everyday. Roughly since 2007-2008, with some time off in there.

Here's the thing. I did it, and I'm ok. I had exactly 2 nights of restless legs and trouble sleeping within the first week, and they were not back to back. That is all. I exercise 6 days a week, it is my job as I am a fitness instructor, but it MADE me exercise and I believe that it helped tremendously. I couldn't just not teach my classes.

I am jealous that you are somewhere that sounds warm, but I'm also excited because Spring is coming in the midwest so it will be warmer soon. I don't want to see anymore snow this year!

Anyway, in my case at least, it had a lot to do with my frame of mind and my desire to keep myself moving. Sub was wonderful for me and helped me in my time of need, but I am very thankful that I don't have to worry now about running out or figuring this out or that. My spiritual/religious focus and support is huge in my recovery too. Just my two cents. Take care! Jenm
jenm is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to jenm For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-28-2015)