Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 07-31-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
adslparts

Default Been on 4mg for about a year - have questions on taper

Hi All!
Its been quite a while since I've been around this board and hope all are well. Sub has really helped me turn things around in the last year or so (I was wondering how long I've been on and think I can find it in my posts). My DR prescribes me 32mg per day of which I only take 4mg or 1/2 a pill per day and have had awesome results. When I go down to a 1/4 per day, I start to feel "crappy", nothing too bad, just crappy so I go back up to the 1/2 and it goes away. I'd really like to try getting off of it just so I can be free from having to go to the DR every 2 months and the $$$ involved. I usually have to take a day off of work to go see him because I live in a rural area and its a far drive. So if your still reading, my question is. What is the realistic expectation time to taper without pain? I obviously can't go from 4mg to 2mg, that too big a jump as each time, I fail. I was thinking of asking for 2mg tabs so I can better meter my intake. Any advice on how to get off with the least pain would be great! I don't care how long it takes as I'm in no hurry but would like to have a plan! I guess it should probably start with being honest with my DR on how much I actually am taking as he thinks I'm still on 32mg. I've asked him about tapering and he doesn't seem to excited about loosing a patient so I might just have to do this on my own. Good thing I have enough to get by for quite some time if I had to... I know, addict thinking...
adslparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi again, when you get a chance, take a look through this thread where people are talking about they tapered:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=16678

When going from 1/2 to 1/4 pill a day, even though it might not seem like a lot, but you are cutting your dose right in half. You can think about going to 3mg or this is in Ros & Mary's thread, what was suggested to Mary and worked for her:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SomeDayBFree
Mary ~

My physician had made a suggestion to me that he says has also worked well for several of his patients.

There really is no reason to hold to a 24 hour schedule. If Sub doesn't impact your sleep than there is no concern as to when in the day you take it. How he suggested that I drop from 4 down to 2, is to go to 2mg every 16 hour dosing rather than 24 and to stay at that for the most part (obviously, you wouldn't get up in the middle of the nite to dose) until you are completely comfortable with it, then move to 2mg every 24 hours. It works better than trying 3mg, especially if you are trying to come up with any kind of an accurate 3mg dose out of an 8mg tablet!

The first time I was on Sub, that's how I did it and there was no noticeable impact at all. I was patient and didn't hurry it, as I know that you wil also be patient. It probably was about a week or 10 days before I went to every 24 hours from the 16 - and I was fine.

SomeDayBFree
Most people fare better when it's slow and steady. Exercising and eating right along with B vitamins have helped too.

I hope that helps.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
adslparts

ok, thanks for advice. I will start a new thread to document my taper so hopefully it will help someone else.

Thanks,
James
Unread 08-09-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
Sluice7

Hello adlparts,
It appears to me that you are building up quite a 'stash'. What do you do w/ all those pills, (just look at them?). I mean, why keep procuring scripts of 32mgs.p/day and only take 1/2 a pill p/day? I believe you mentioned $$$. You sure could save a lot of diñero by coming clean w/ your doc and tell him that 8mgs. p/day would suffice.
2.5 yrs. at this, I've been at 24-28mgs.p/day. My doc is pushing, oh so slightly, for me to taper from 16mgs. p/day. But I really don't want to. He just thinks it's the thing to do. Why screw things up, when I'm feeling fine as is? Someday, I could for see myself at 8mgs., indefinately. Sub (and support groups) helps (me) w/depression, minor aches and pains and most important, my cravings for booze and opiates (that is life or death for me), and I choose to live today!
Scott....
Sluice7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
adslparts

Hi Sluce,
I'm get 16mg per day. I also get other medications from same DR so I have to go see him every other month regardless. I don't keep a stock pile. I usually just don't fill the script if I have enough to get through. I think the most I ever had was 1 extra month supply. With all the people I read about who struggle to just get them I wish I could give them away and would if it was legal.

I'm lucky as it only costs me a small co-pay for my Dr visit and meds.

Sluice - Honestly, I didn't feel any different on 16 or 8. I'm suprised after 2.5 yrs, your still taking such a high dose. Thats what let me to taper to 4, which held me just fine for well over a year. I wouldn't have considered my habit (before sub) small by any means. I guess we all react different to it.

Last edited by adslparts; 08-10-2009 at 05:03 PM..
Unread 08-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
Sluice7

You are right, everyone is different. How high is your stack of scripts?(hehehe). Funny thing, my addict thinking was that you had all that Sub saved up.
I started at 8mg when I was working for my sister in Utah, and in the afternoons, I would start to crave and thought I was going crazy. So when I got back to CA, my doc raised it. And I'm prepared to stay there if I have to. I feel OK w/ that dose. I not only don't crave opiates, but Sub has played a big part in not drinking. That is the most important,(not drinking,mainly). Along w/ AA and other support. If I believe my well being hangs on to staying where I'm at, then I'll do it. Some day if money allows, I can see myself at 8mgs.p/day.
It's crunch time w/ the money situation, however. That's why I might have to taper or go cold. Nancys' been trying to help and I appreciate that a great deal.
As a side note;
the Sub does seem to help w/depression(I don't take anti-depressants, because the Sub has been working just as well) and my aches and pains.
Sluice7 is offline   Reply With Quote