Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 03-09-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
BadMonkey

Default Sub withdrawal expereience?

I just wanted to share my experience and ask for some advice. I had been adicted on and off to opiates for about 15 years, Heroin, painkillers, before I got clean I was doing ~150mg of methadone per day plus a lot of Dilaudid (~50mg/day) and morphine/oxycodone...whatever I could get my hands on. I left work (I worked at a pharamacy) and went to detox for a week, they tapered me off the methadone, down to about 5mg on the last day, then kicked me out, and I began a really bad withdrawal. I wanted to do it on my own and for those 3 weeks could barely get out of bed, went to and IOP and some meetings and then decided I couldn't do it, after 3 weeks even I was in horrible pain and wanted to die. My psychiatrist prescribed me Suboxone and titrated me to 4mg per day which made me feel totally normal. That was 14 months ago. I have slowly decreased my dose to 0.5mg, every few months going down about 0.5 mg. Two days ago was my last dose.

So far, I don't really feel anything, save a bit of a runny nose and a little bit of fatigue, which could be allergies, which I get this time of year. I have read many people's experiences with Suboxone withdrawal and they all sound different. I am hoping that I will be fine since I did it slow and when my body told me I was ready, however I am a bit scared because some people say it was hell. I know it has a long half life, so my main question is:

How long did it take before any very noticeable withdrawal symptoms appeared after your last dose was taken? Especially anyone who has taken it for the length of time I have and may have been on a similar dose (or higher, I know mine was particularly low.) And, how long did it last.

Any info would be appreciated, thanks!
BadMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi BadMonkey and welcome. How long were you at the .5mg? That makes a difference. The half life of Suboxone is around 37 hours, so people usually feel a reduction from .5 a day or two later. So hopefully that's all you'll be feeling. Try to stay busy, and exercise. Even if you can get out for a walk. That will help boost your natural endorphins.

I don't know if you've seen this thread, but it has stories of people who've tapered off.
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=16678

Best wishes and congratulations on your taper.
Keep us posted.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
theswan

An old expression goes "Don't borrow trouble" Sadly I borrow too much as I wait for the other shoe to drop.

If you have little ot no WD's then good on ya! Be happy and enjoy the moments. It is not unusual to have very little ot no WD's. I've read a lot of people's expirences and that is what I base that on.

God bless and good luck staying free!

Glen
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
onceagainskumshine

BadMonkey,

I'm totally in the same boat, only I'm still tapering down. I feel no major WD. I took 4mg/day for >2yrs. Now I am at 2mg, and I feel ok. Next week, or in 2 weeks- whenever my body tells me to- I'll go down some more.

I share the sentiment described in your post. Having been through WD so many times, so many different ways, I can hardly believe that this is it. A little histamine flow and low level aches, but I've been sleeping consistently. Feh. I've felt much worse.

My one concern is always: Well, is that only because I still have some in me? What about the taper to zero? Then what?
I am a little concerned that after two weeks of zero I will suddenly get major RLS and sleep loss. However, I'm not counting on it. I think this will be fine, if I continue to do it slow. I think that is the key, for me.

I also think the relatively low dose I was on doesn't hurt the situation. I always felt the "less is more" aspect of Sub, to be sure. I felt better at 4mg than at 8mg. (I was coming off a long methadone taper, jumped at 15 mg stabilized and did bridge opiates of percocet for a month then inducted to Sub.)

Thank you so much for your post, and please let us know your progress. I know I am very interested to see how it goes for you.

best,
skum
onceagainskumshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
BadMonkey

Default Feeling OK So Far!

Thanks everyone for your experiences, today is day 3 with no suboxone. Nancy, I was at 0.5mg for several months, not sure exactly but about 4 months at least. While I do feel some WDs, it's not bad at all and nowhere near as bad as I thought it might be. I just feel a bit of low grade lethargy, have had a few sneezing episodes and a runny nose, but no real leg cramps or stomach cramps or gastric issues, which were the worst things when I came off of methadone. I was afraid because I have read postings on other sites from people who said they has terrible WDs that lasted weeks dropping off of very low doses, but apparently with the help of a long term taper and many other support networks I have allowed my brain to heal enough. I know we can't get off scott free without some discomfort but this is so much better than it could have been. I am completely greatful this was available to me and think it is a great tool to use to aim for a drug free life. Skum, I totally agree we need to listen to our bodies when we decide to taper down, I tried a few time to go from 4 to 2mg soom after I started and it was not the right time, and I felt it. Just learning to take it easy on myself and being ok with being on suboxone took time, but it happened and now hopefully I am off it for good. Glen, I am so happy I feel so good, and am totally enjoying it, and do realize it might get a bit worse before it gets totally better, but I am happy today. For anyone else reading this as well, I have been getting outside and exercising everyday (I walk dogs for a living, so I have to) and eating a lot of good high protein food and drinking water, and I think that has helped quite a bit to minimize any discomfort. Thanks again, I will be checking in to keep everyone updated on my progress,

BadMonkey
BadMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2009, 12:38 AM   #6
theswan

Thanks badmonkey

I am thrilled at the lack of WD because I like most all have a vested interest. I want to get to as low as I can get.

I do not know if I ever will be "off" but as low a dose as possible is good for me. Due to chronic pain issues, I always came back to opioids. Now I have found one without tolarance issues and am happy as heck.'Sub where were you all my life?"

Please keep us updated

Glen
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
NancyB
Administrator

Hi BadMonkey, it was great 'meeting' you in chat last night. I hope that day 4 goes smoothly. Keep in touch!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 10:59 PM   #8
Mary

Hey BadMonkey, I felt a hell of alot better after the first week. My WDs were really mild. I tell people I'd rather do that gig again than get the flu.

How you doing now? -Mary
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 11:09 PM   #9
ryantcx

BadMonkey,

It is VERY VERY encouraging to hear your story. I went through the exact situations you have and am currently at about the 40hr point with no suboxone after taking .5 mg for the last few months. I have a great support structure and hope that this current mild withdrawl is all that i will have the next few days then some clearer sailing going into the work week. Whats the latest with you? did you make it through the first 5days with as mild of withdrawls as you were referencing in your last post? still going strong?
ryantcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 12:42 AM   #10
toboat777

hello bad monkey your recovery is an inspiration to me i am soaking up this information to carry me down this path to recovery i wish you the best congrats girl you go.
toboat777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 09:34 AM   #11
rogan

Badmonkey: wow. I'm super impressed by what you did. You took VERY impressive amounts of opiates in your time, and it's crazy to hear that you completely got off that ship. I wonder where you're at today with this. Obviously, my answer now is moot, since you posted this initially a while ago, but I'd say it takes 4 days for withdrawal symptoms to apear.

Rogan
rogan is offline   Reply With Quote