Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 07-27-2014, 08:30 PM   #1
Eliza12

Default now tapering

I wanted to know if it is ok to take the comfort meds now (clonopine) and methocarb something or should I wait until after I try the Sub?

Thank you for listening, you've already been so much help

Eliza12

Sorry lost prev post. I am 12 hours in to withdrawal from oxycodone. Please see my question below. Starting sub tomorrow am

Thanks much!
Eliza12

Feeling pretty creepy!
Eliza12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2014, 08:36 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Eliza12, welcome. Are you starting Suboxone tomorrow in the doctor's office or at home?

Are you talking about clonidine the blood pressure med or the klonopin the benzo?

Sorry for so many questions.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2014, 09:32 PM   #3
Eliza12

Hi Nancy, pls ask anything. I am starting at home. It's clonidine the Bp med and methocarbamol? I have to look it up again
The doc gave no instructions for this day...

Thank you
Eliza12
Unread 07-27-2014, 09:34 PM   #4
Eliza12

Methocarbamol is like Flexeril I think
Unread 07-27-2014, 11:11 PM   #5
NancyB
Administrator

Hi again, the doctor didn't say what to do with the clonidine? Yikes. If you don't have BP problems, then maybe taking the lowest amount will help you sleep.

Did he give you instructions for tomorrow? If not, just make sure you're in enough withdrawals - the depth of withdrawals is more important than the amount of time that's gone by. Page 2 of this link will help you see if you're in mild to moderate withdrawals, which is where you need to be before you start.
http://www.naabt.org/documents/NAABT_PrecipWD.pdf

The preferred induction method is to take a small amount - around 2mg when you're in enough withdrawals. It can take 20 minutes to get effect, but it can take up to 2 hours to get full effect. So after you take the first dose, wait at least an hour or so to re-evaluate your symptoms. If you're still having cravings/withdrawals, try another 2mg, and again wait. This takes a little longer to do, but it generally works better. Unlike with full agonists, less is better with Suboxone. So you want to take the lowest amount that stops cravings and withdrawals.

I hope that makes sense and helps. Hopefully you'll be able to sleep and start your recovery in the morning!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 07-27-2014, 11:20 PM   #6
Eliza12

Nancy, I went ahead and took the two medicines. Couldn't stand how I felt. I'm hoping because they are not opiates that it will be ok. They are "use as needed." I needed!
I've been reading here for weeks to prepare for this transition. I'm afraid my doctor is new to this and didn't provide a whole lot of information or take time to discuss it in detail and there is no one to call on the weekends.

He also told me to start with 8 mg and if I didn't feel better in an hour, take another 8 mg. Well I've read how to best do it on your site and it makes sense to me to start with 2 mg and titrate up 2 mg every 1-2 hours until I feel the withdrawal symptoms go away. I may only need 8 total, time will tell.

Wish me luck tonight,
Elizabeth
2 Users Say Thank You to Eliza12 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (07-28-2014), Thank You (07-28-2014)
Unread 07-27-2014, 11:28 PM   #7
Eliza12

Nancy thank you we were posting at the same time. I'll see how I feel in the a.m, but I'm pretty bad off now, feel the heebee keeners all over.
Have a good night,
Eliza12
Unread 07-28-2014, 06:30 AM   #8
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Elizabeth, hope you were able to get some sleep last night.
I'm glad you'll start lower than the doctor said - taking 8mg and then 8mg really could be overkill. Yes, there are times when it's necessary - perhaps if someone has been taking HUGE amounts of heroin, methadone, fentanyl or opium - but otherwise the patient is better off starting low and titrating up. Plus with the long halflife, it builds up, so that has to be taken in consideration too. But enough of that.

How are you doing?

Fingers crossed it goes smoothly for you today!

Nancy
Unread 07-28-2014, 08:16 AM   #9
julie48

Welcome Elize12 and I am so happy to read from someone who realizes MORE is not better with subs. Good for you. Start low and see how you do. I take about 1/2mg a day and that's it. This is some powerful stuff. Let us know how you are doing and I am glad you are here. We need you!! Blessings. Julie
Unread 07-28-2014, 01:12 PM   #10
Eliza12

Thank you Nancy and Julie for your support. It meant a lot last night when I was feeling so awful in withdrawals to have someone to talk to. I ended up starting the sub last night as I couldn't take it anymore! I must have been in enough withdrawal because the sub worked great. I took 2 mg and then an hour later took 2 more and that seemed to be enough so I went to bed. What blessed relief! I took 4 mg when I got up this morning and will see how the day goes.

I was taking 6-30mg oxycodone per day for 4 years . I was taking it for pain management for RSD in my hands but the hands felt a lot better starting about 4 months ago and I was just taking them not to feel sick. I understand the difference between dependence and addiction, but I am a recovering alcoholic and have always had issues with abusing pills. You know, the pain is gone but you get two more prescriptions anyway...So I hope you will let me hang out with you while I do this. I'm so used to "feel (insert feeling) take a pill and I want to stop it. I go to counseling but could use your support too.
One User Says Thank You to Eliza12 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (07-28-2014)
Unread 07-28-2014, 03:41 PM   #11
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Eliza12, I'm glad that it worked out for you. One thing to think about is keeping a journal of when you take your medication and how you feel. It's especially helpful in the beginning of treatment in case there are any adjustments that are needed.

That's great that you go to counseling. And, please, keep posting for as long as you'd like!

Nancy
Unread 07-29-2014, 12:06 AM   #12
Eliza12

Hi all, I had a really good day but this evening got the heebie jeebees back. I just took 2mg and it seems to be helping. So that's 6mg total for today. I will try 4mg again tomorrow and see if that will hold me. Nancy that is a great idea about keeping a journal, I started one tonight. I feel so hopeful, not taking the oxycodone for the first time in 4 years!!

Have a good night,
Eliza12
Unread 07-29-2014, 06:05 AM   #13
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Eliza12, if you took 6mg yesterday, then think about taking 6mg again today. Going up and down on your dose so early will make it harder to stabilize because of the long halflife. You won't have a chance to stabilize smoothly. Also think about taking the 6mg all at once so you can be done with the medication and go on with your day without thinking about it. That can be a little difficult at first, but in the long run it will help break that psychological 'need' to take something throughout the day.

Hope that makes sense. Here's to another good day for you!

Nancy
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (07-29-2014)
Unread 07-29-2014, 06:22 PM   #14
Eliza12

I woke up today with a massive migraine so am feeling pretty shaky right now. I took 6mg sub and Maxalt for the headache and am starting to feel a bit better. Thanks Nancy for the advice, I will try to stabilize on 6mg until I see the doctor on Friday.

Eliza12
Unread 07-30-2014, 03:48 AM   #15
Eliza12

Hi, I made it to late tonight on 6mg of Suboxone. Other than the migraine and its aftermath, I had a good day. I feel positive and happy to be off the oxycodone. At the times I usually took the pills, I am a bit anxious, but not so much that I can't take it. I tried to distract myself with a doing something when I noticed that. It helped. I don't expect suboxone to be a miracle drug; I know I have to put in the effort too. Glad my counselor will be back next week from vacation! It just worked out that I would start while she was away...

Encouragement welcome!
Eliza12
Unread 07-30-2014, 06:48 AM   #16
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Eliza12, do you usually get migraines or is this new with the Suboxone?

You did great distracting yourself at the time you used to take pills! That was perfect! It kind of stinks that of all weeks, your counselor is on vacation this week, but glad s/he'll be back next week. You sure have a lot to talk about.

I hope that you don't have a migraine today. Fingers crossed.

Nancy
Unread 07-30-2014, 02:34 PM   #17
Eliza12

Thanks Nancy, for the kind words. Yes, I do get migraines pretty frequently so I don't think it was the suboxone. I had stayed up way too late and slept late and I think that was the cause. I feel ok today, no headache and I just took the 6mg for the day. I feel lucky that so far (3rd) day I'm not having any side effects.

I really want to find out who I am without pills. I know they changed my personality, dulling my emotions, making me not care about other people as much. I let go of friendships and isolated myself in my house. I've gotten to the point where I hardly go anywhere without my husband. I'm really hoping that finally stopping the oxycodone will help me get back to the person I used to be.

Thanks for listening,
Eliza12
Unread 07-31-2014, 06:57 AM   #18
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Eliza12, thanks for letting me about the migraines - after I posted, I saw you mention Maxalt in Laura's thread, so I guess that answered my question. But the reason I asked is because some people get headaches in the beginning of treatment, and that's usually taken care of when the increase the amount of water they drink. Opioids can suppress the thirst mechanism so that's the easiest thing to try first. I'm sorry to know you get migraines frequently though. They're so debilitating.

You have a fabulous attitude and that will help you so much in the process. Just don't push yourself to do too much at once. And don't feel guilty about letting go of friendships, etc. That wasn't YOU, that was the addiction.

I hope you had a better day yesterday.

Nancy
Thank You (07-31-2014)
Unread 07-31-2014, 02:04 PM   #19
Eliza12

Hi Nancy,

I had a good day yesterday with no headache. I stayed up late again though and woke up with a mild migraine which is already gone. I have a problem with staying up late and eating - this has been going on for a long time. I really need to get to bed at a reasonable time, as I'm sure it is causing the migraines along with the sugary snacks I consume. Also last night about 2 am I got the heebie jeebees (withdrawal symptoms) really bad and ended up taking 2mg more of the suboxone. If I'd been asleep, I wouldn't have done that.

So wish me luck as I try to establish a reasonable bedtime as it is all bad for me staying up late. I used to take the oxycodone late at night so I could stay up longer and it got to be a bad habit.

I am drinking a ton of water, actually seem thirstier than before sub, not to mention it's in the high 90s and hot here in Northern California. I took 6 mg sub this morning and I think if I go to bed by midnight, that will be plenty. I see the doctor on Friday and I think I will tell him that I'm taking 8mg. I don't think he would be happy that I didn't follow his induction instructions and don't want to rock the boat. I have no idea what his plan is for me. Not to rush it, but I'm hoping to be done with the suboxone in about 6 weeks. If course that is completely dependent on how I do and what my body needs.

Thanks for checking in with me, you are such a big help!

Eliza12
Unread 07-31-2014, 02:11 PM   #20
Eliza12

Also, I started using the Mind Gym last night and like it very much

Eliza12
Unread 07-31-2014, 09:23 PM   #21
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Eliza12, glad you had a good day yesterday and your migraine is gone. It sounds like you know what you need to do with the going to bed earlier. I bet you'll feel better psychologically too by breaking that routine that what part of your addiction.

Telling him that you're taking 8mg is fine. It's always good to have a little extra put away in case something happens and you can't get to the pharmacy or an appointment or the like.

I'm glad you like the Mind Gym. A lot of people really found it helped in breaking some of the thoughts that were present during addiction.

Go to bed early!

Nancy
Thank You (08-02-2014)
Unread 08-01-2014, 02:57 PM   #22
Eliza12

Good morning,

Well, another good day yesterday, just some anxiousness in the afternoon and evening. Saw the doctor this morning and he was pleased with how I'm doing. Wants me to stay at 8 (I'm taking 6 actually) mg suboxone for two more weeks and then drop to 4mg. That seems reasonable to me. He gave me a B12/toradol shot and aome acupuncture on my ear. He also suggested taking the Clonidine at least at night to help the anxiety and twice during the day if it doesn't make me sleepy.

I'm feeling really encouraged and excited - so far so good. The pain in my hands is not worse since stopping the oxycodone and I today I've felt a few fleeting moments of joy/happiness. That is big, because my feelings have been just FLAT for most of the last four years.

Nancy I made it to bed earlier last night and did not need to take any addl sub. Thank you for your kind wishes. Is it hit where you live? It's going to be 100 here today.

Hope floats,
Elizabeth
Thank You (08-02-2014)
Unread 08-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #23
Eliza12

I feel really grateful for how I'm feeling on suboxone. I almost don't know what to do with all these positive feelings, lol. I've had depression most of my adult life. First I used alcohol to "make it better," then after getting into recovery for that, misused prescription pills. Finally I am on the perfect mix of anti-depressants, the RSD pain is way better and I felt able to attempt to get off the oxycodone train. After a week on Suboxone, I can feel myself coming alive again - caring more, laughing more, etc. Even my doctor noticed a difference. There was a time when the pain pills were necessary, when every day was a discouraging mix of pain and frustration. Because if the RSD in my hands I had to give up a lot of things I loved like my career, guitar and gardening. I know this improvement may not be permanent, but in going to enjoy the heck out of it while it lasts!
Thank You (08-03-2014)
Unread 08-03-2014, 07:42 AM   #24
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Elizabeth, that's really good that your doctor appointment went well! Did you set a bedtime for the past couple of nights?

More than that, I'm really happy that you're feeling so well! I did some reading on RSD, and I'm sorry you had to give so much up because of it. It sounds very painful. Since bupe was developed as a pain med, I'm curious, do you notice the pain being any better after you take it?

Yes! Enjoy yourself and how you're feeling! Fingers crossed it does last!

Nancy
Unread 08-03-2014, 07:14 PM   #25
theswan

Welcome

Give it time to find what works best for you. Try and relax and not focus too much on feeling this or that as it can drive a person crazy. This is not to say "tough it out" if you do feel WD's, take what you require. The ideal as was most likely mentioned is to find the correct dose, one that keeps both craving and WD at bay.

Since you know about recovery already, I'll leave you to what ever has worked and have faith you already know about steps and other guides for your journey. I am also an alcoholic sober many years and understand the struggle with pills. Not at all unusual so be kind to yourself.

Best of luck and God bless

Glen
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2014, 08:08 AM   #26
laman78

I have been going back to the doctor since March 2014 now. I take 2 strips a day. I feel fine on most days. Some days I feel pretty bad tho since I started working 12 hour days which means I have to take my medicine earlier in the mornings now.
laman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2014, 09:10 PM   #27
Eliza12

Thank you for the welcome Glen. I've been more or less sober from alcohol for 22 years. I had a very bad six-week relapse right before 10 years. Pain/anxiety/muscle relaxers have always been a problem even though they were prescribed and I wasn't lying to the doctor to get them initially but down the road always getting more refills than needed. Then when I really got something bad, nothing but the oxycodone helped for quite some time. They also gave me a lot of energy and lifted my depression. After a while the effect wore off and I was just lucky that taking too many made me fall asleep. So I rarely went over my allotted amount which ended up being 180 mg/day. I tried to taper a few times, but was pretty miserable. Didn't think I had the discipline to do it, so when the doctor suggested Suboxone I was all for it. I started reading here and all you good folks' experiences gave me so much information and hope!

You are so right about not focusing on my feelings, I'm getting better but at first I was gauging them hourly. Now I'm trying to stay busy as I have energy and hope. The oxycodone and earlier depression stripped me of any ambition and hope in the end. I'm happy to be off of them. I haven't been to AA in some years but am thinking of returning. My counselor has been away while I started on suboxone but I will see her Wednesday. Lots of good things to talk about for a change!

Best,
Eliza12
Unread 08-05-2014, 12:34 AM   #28
Eliza12

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for checking in with me and your kind words about the RSD. I'm still struggling with getting to bed at a reasonable time, but doing better. I've had to take the other 2mg a couple of nights. After I take the 6mg when I first get up I feel sleepy for a while, so I hesitate to take 8 at once. What do you think?

The RSD did hurt very badly for about 3-1/2 years after the surgeries, but it is much better now. It is mild right now and I think can be controlled with anti-inflammatory meds. I am able to do much more than I could a year ago.

Have a good night,
Eliza12
Unread 08-05-2014, 08:15 AM   #29
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Elizabeth, that's good that the RSD is better now. The reason I was asking if it felt any better after taking the buprenorphine is because bupe was originally developed as a pain reliever and some people find that it helps their pain a lot. If that were the case, it's better to take a lower dose (say 2mg) every 4 to 6 hours because that's how long the pain relieving properties last.

If 6mg is making you tired, you could try taking 4mg instead and see how that goes. Getting tired like that generally means that the person's dose is a little too high. So it could be that you may be able to stick to 6mg, but by taking 4mg in the am and the other 2 in the pm? Might be something to try, especially if your doctor wants you to drop to 4mg soon. 8mg to 4mg may be a bit of a jump, since it's cutting your dose in half like that. So getting to 6mg first could make it easier.

At least you're doing better getting to bed earlier, right?

I forgot to answer your question about it being hot here. Sorry! I'm in Connecticut and today it's supposed to be hot and humid. It hasn't been that bad the past few days, but it's also been kind of rainy off and on. It's just a weird summer. We'll get a couple really hot and humid days, then a front will come in and it's not so humid any more.

Is it still incredibly hot there?

Nancy
Unread 08-06-2014, 01:52 AM   #30
Eliza12

Hi Nancy,

Sorry you have humidity too - we are spoiled and not used to it! At least you have some rain; we would give anything for some here. This drought is very serious, especially if it lasts another year.

I haven't noticed any pain relief from the sub. What I do notice is that my pain is no worse without the oxycodone and I'm really happy about that. I am going to try what you suggested tomorrow - 4mg in the am and 2 in the pm. Hopefully that will fix the getting sleepy problem and still give the evening dose which I seem to need right now. I agree, 8 to 4 is too much so better I get used to 6 now. I'll let you know how it goes, thanks for the idea.

I kept busy today, am looking forward to seeing my counselor tomorrow.

Have a good night!

Best,
Elizabeth
Unread 08-06-2014, 06:06 AM   #31
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Elizabeth, you guys really do need rain. And not a deluge, but a nice steady rain so it gets a chance to soak into the ground instead of running off. I saw where a lot of meteorologists were thinking it might be an El Nino year and you'd get that much needed rain. Of course they tempered that with 'it could change at any time'. What a job! You can be wrong and still keep it!

That's really good that the pain isn't worse without the oxycodone. Phew! That's so nice to hear.

Have a great day and a good appointment with your counselor!

Nancy
Unread 08-07-2014, 03:10 AM   #32
Eliza12

Hi Nancy,

I tried the 4/2 today and it worked pretty well. I took 6 at 8:30am and the 2 at 4pm. Right now (midnight) I'm feeling like I need to take 2 more. I still got the sleepy feeling after each dose but it only lasts for about 1/2 hour then I feel fine. I know I need to get to bed soon :-) I would rather dose just once a day as you all suggest so maybe I should just go ahead and take 8 for the next 5 days or so, then move to 6?

What do you think?

Best,
Elizabeth
Unread 08-07-2014, 03:11 AM   #33
Eliza12

Sorry I meant I took 4 at 8:30 am
E
Unread 08-07-2014, 07:02 AM   #34
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Elizabeth, when you say 'I'm feeling like I need to take 2 more', is it because you're going into withdrawals? Or I'm wondering if the feeling you're getting is because you were used to taking oxycodone around then and your mind is kind of tricking you into thinking you need more?

But do think about the reason you're feeling that way. There was a guy here a few years ago, in the beginning of treatment, he said that around 7:00 each night he felt like he needed more. We asked if 7:00 had a significance at all. He thought about it and realized that was when he would take his former drug of choice - after dinner and cleaning up was done and he was ready to watch tv. What he did was switch up his schedule a little and he no longer felt like he needed more.

The other thing is that buprenorphine has a halflife of around 37 hours, so roughly half of what you took the day before is still working and a quarter of the day before that is still working. In my opinion, increasing your dose to 8mg, when soon your doctor is going to have you go to 4mg could make it harder for you.

Just wanted to see if you thought that was going on.

How was your counselor appointment?

Nancy
Thank You (08-07-2014)
Unread 08-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #35
Eliza12

Hi Nancy,

When I feel like I need more I am having that creepy feeling I call the heebee jeebees. It's usually pretty late like 11 pm and I did used to take an oxycodone around that time, so you could be on to something. I'm going to stick with the 4mg/2mg for a total of 6mg and get myself to bed earlier!

I had a good appointment with my counselor. She is happy for me that the sub is working and could tell I had a lot more positive energy. I have to be aware of self-sabotaging; when things get too good I have often done that.

All in all things are going well and I'm so glad to be off the oxycodone!

Have a good day there in Connecticut.

Best,
Elizabeth
Unread 08-08-2014, 06:42 AM   #36
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Elizabeth, how did it go last night? Fingers crossed you were able to stay at the 4mg/2mg.

Love hearing that your counselor noticed that you're feeling better! Yes, no more self-sabotaging. You've been through enough and deserve to have a good quality of life. Remember that!

I hate to say it, but right now in Connecticut, it's 59 degrees and no humidity. Feels like late summer early fall. Crazy weather. How is it for you, hopefully not 100 degrees again. Have a great day!!

Nancy
Unread 08-11-2014, 02:51 AM   #37
Eliza12

Hi Nancy,

Things are going well. On Thursday I accidentally only took 4 mg, then on purpose Friday and Saturday. Just felt ok with that. I was having some medical tests and my schedule got mixed up. Today I took 4/2 because I just didn't feel right. I wonder because of the half life if I could take 4 one day and 6 the next for a week or so?

I messed up too, I didn't make it to my doctor appointment on Friday so will have to beg forgiveness tomorrow and go in Tuesday. I have enough medicine, but don't want to get on the doctor's wrong side.

The weather has cooled into the 80s which is much more comfortable!

Hope you had a good weekend.

Best,
Elizabeth
Unread 08-11-2014, 06:38 AM   #38
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Elizabeth, you could try alternating 4 and 6mg - that would average out to 5mg a day which gets you closer to the 4mg the doctor will be tapering you down to. Many people alternate like that when tapering, especially if it's a difficult amount to cut the tablets to. Maybe as well give that a try - it might give you an easier transition to 4mg.

Glad it cooled down for you. We were in the 80s here too - very low humidity, which made it pretty nice.

Let us know how it goes with the doctor - hopefully they will understand that things get messed up.

Nancy
Unread 08-15-2014, 05:02 PM   #39
Eliza12

Hi Nancy,
So I am successfully alternating between 6mg and 4mg at the end of 3 weeks. I feel really good most of the time and am very motivated. I really have no complaints. What I have to work on now is getting out of the house! While on oxycodone I gradually got more isolated, felt little emotion except depression and rarely went out. I'm trying to get myself to go to the grocery store today and am quite anxious about it. My husband, bless his heart, has been doing all the shopping for years.

I went to the doctor today and they didn't say a word about missing the appt last Friday. I don't have to go back for a month now. My taper is apparently up to me, lol. I only saw the pharmacist today and it was basically "are you good?" Ok great. See you in a month. I have 30- 8mg strips so plenty for the next two months really. I would like to be at 4mg by the end of next week and stay there for about two weeks, if all goes well.

I just want to say thank you Nancy for supporting me through this. I read so much if what you said before I joined I felt like I knew you and the others! We're complete strangers yet you have been here for me on a daily basis and I really appreciate that.

Have a great weekend,
Elizabeth
2 Users Say Thank You to Eliza12 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (08-15-2014), Thank You (08-15-2014)
Unread 08-15-2014, 07:28 PM   #40
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Elizabeth, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you reached out and posted! Really good that nothing was said about your missing appointment and that you don't have to go back for a month. More importantly, I'm so glad you're feeling good most of the time.

You said "I would like to be at 4mg by the end of next week and stay there for about two weeks, if all goes well." I like that you're not pressuring yourself to hurry and if it works, it works; if not, just give it a little more time and try again.

I hope you do get out of the house. Even if you go into the store for a short time and then leave - that's progress. Baby steps, right?

You have a great weekend too!

Nancy
Unread 08-16-2014, 06:55 PM   #41
Eliza12

Hi Nancy,

Didn't make it out of the house yesterday :-(. I had this long list for the store and just let the anxiety get to me. I like what you said though - baby steps. I could just try it and if I get too uncomfortable then come home. Or just try going to a smaller store for a few things, just to "practice." It kills me to be this way because I used to fly all over the country for my work and back then, didn't even blink! But you are right about baby steps. I am going for a week to help my sister pack up her house. I'm so excited because she will be living only 15 minutes away instead of 5+ hours!

Last night I got that creepy feeling and took a clonodine (blood pressure med) that the doctor had prescribed to help with withdrawal symptoms and I'm happy to say it worked! I felt calmer and the creeps went away. So I'm going to keep with that and 4 mgs of suboxone for now. I'd forgotten all about that medicine so was really pleased that it helped! I can take it up to 3 times a day but I seem to only feel icky after 10pm. Still working on getting to bed earlier that will help too.

We have a family reunion next weekend at my mother's house in Sonoma and I'm feeling pretty self-conscious because I've gained quite a bit of weight. I only see this part of the family once a year, so I really shouldn't care too much about what they think. I'm just kind of embarrased about it. I'm going to clear off my treadmill and start walking on it this week, I know exercise is a big help mentally as well as physically. For now though, it is what it is. I'm afraid I got in the habit of using food to make myself feel better. Now that I feel better, I'm going to work on changing my diet and losing the weight.

Wow long-winded post! Feeling a little lonely today :-).

Best,
Elizabeth
Unread 08-16-2014, 08:35 PM   #42
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Elizabeth, it does sound like you may have overwhelmed yourself a little - could it have been the long list? I like your idea of going to smaller stores for fewer things. I think you'll be back to where you were when you were flying everywhere. It will just take time and don't push yourself. It will come with time. Going to help your sister for a week I think will be really good for you. You'll be out of your house but with your sister. ThenI bet it will be nice to have her a lot closer to you.

Good deal with the clonodine helping! Does it make you tired too - a bunch of people here have said that it makes them tired during the day if they take it.

The exercise will definitely help all around. It may even help you get to bed earlier. Sort of start a routine and make the treadmill an early 'chore' before it gets too hot. Don't even think twice of what anyone might think of you. Different things happen in people's lives and no one should judge anyone. The most important thing is that you are feeling better physically and emotionally. The weight is a non-issue, I think anyways, compared to how you feel overall. Ok, lecture is over.

Not long-winded at all either! When do you leave for your sisters?

Nancy
Unread 08-16-2014, 10:13 PM   #43
Eliza12

Hi Nancy,

I think it was big ol' list that did me in, lol! For now I will stick to a few items :-). I also want to start getting out because I'd like to find some volunteer work to do. But one thing at a time. Being at my sister's will help because I can't stay up all hours and also I will be out of my house. We will leave after the reunion, a week from tomorrow.

So far the clonodine has not made me sleepy. If I need something to help me sleep I take Trazadone. But I don't need it very often.

I agree about getting on the treadmill first thing in the morning. Besides being cooler it just seems like later on I'll find too many excuses not to do it. I'm going to start on Monday so I'll keep you posted. Thanks for what you said about the weight, that made me feel better. I might be heavier, but at least I'm not zoned out on opiates and want to participate more with my family. I'll feel a lot better when I lose some though because the weight is causing me to get bad heartburn and other stomach troubles. I had an endoscopy a week ago to rule out an ulcer or infection and I have neither. So it looks like the weight is the culprit. Great motivation to lose, because heartburn is awful!

Talk to you later,
Elizabeth
Unread 08-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #44
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Elizabeth, how was the rest of your weekend? Were you able to make a smaller list and go to a smaller store? That would be great doing volunteer work - do you have a place in mind already?

I'm happy to hear that you found out what's causing the heartburn and other stomach issues - and it might be weight related and not something requiring surgery or anything. I have a feeling that since you're feeling better, you'll probably be doing more things, which burns more calories and you'll start losing anyways!

Hope you're having a great day!

Nancy
Unread 08-19-2014, 04:52 AM   #45
Eliza12

Hi Nancy,

Well I didn't get out the weekend, but today I went over to my sister's new house and helped her work on things. I have to get my mom a birthday gift so I will be doing that on Thursday. Meanwhile I have a couple of appointments the next few days that will be getting me out of the house :-).

I am really grateful that I don't have anything seriously wrong with my stomach. Although I was kind of hoping for something that could be fixed quickly, like with an antibiotic. But no, it's on me, lol. The treadmill awaits! One thing I stopped that helped was sugarless mints. Apparently mint can cause heartburn - who knew?

I'm up really late tonight, especially when I have to be up at 7 so I'd better get to bed. Hope you had a nice weekend!

Best,
Elizabeth
Unread 08-21-2014, 08:15 AM   #46
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Elizabeth, how has it been going being out of the house? I hope you do ok getting your mom's present today. Just remember, if you get overwhelmed, leave. It's not a big deal, even if you go outside, regroup and go back into the store. It's those baby steps, right?

Wow! That's really good you figured out that the mint was causing the heartburn. It's kind of weird because it can help with some digestive problems, but what good does that do if it causes heartburn! This is pretty interesting. I wonder how many people don't know that. I sure as heck didn't until you said that.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/38...elp-heartburn/

Just remember not to put undue pressure on yourself when you go shopping today, ok?

Hope the appointments you had went well too!

Nancy
Unread 08-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #47
Eliza12

Hi Nancy,

Hope you are having a good week. I did fine with my appointments and also took the car to be washed (I could hardly see out the windshield!). Today I let myself off the hook or created more pressure, not sure which :-). Now I have to go tomorrow. Oh well, sometimes a little pressure is good.

I seem to be stable at 4mg. Sometimes I take a clonodine in the evening, sometime I forget about it. I'm going to stay at 4 until after I come back from my sister's, then go down to 4 and 2 alternating. As I mentioned, my taper has been left to me, so I'm just trying what has worked for other people. My pain management doctor and his practice are new at this, so they weren't very helpful. If not for this forum, I think I would be pretty confused!

I'm just so grateful to be off the oxycodone! I have so much more range of emotions, feel optimistic about the future and just plain happy. It's been so long since I really felt like myself.

Walked on the treadmill for 15 minutes on Tuesday for the first time. When it cools off this evening will go again. Starting slow because I am so out of shape...

Best,
Elizabeth
Unread 08-23-2014, 07:52 AM   #48
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Elizabeth! Did you get your mom's present?

Good idea of waiting to come back from your sister's to start alternating doses. The beauty is that if you feel uncomfortable, there are other ways to reduce or you just hold off and try again in another week. So there's no pressure at all to 'make' it work if it's uncomfortable.

I hope you have a great time at the reunion. You're feeling good, you're happy and optimistic and I bet that is going to shine through to everyone.

Have a fabulous weekend!

Nancy
Unread 08-29-2014, 02:29 PM   #49
Eliza12

Hi Nancy,

I'm at my sister's and we are working hard packing all her stuff up. Going to bed by 10 and getting up by 7:30. So it's sure changed my schedule! We had a very sad day yesterday, she had to have her little dog (17 yrs old) to sleep. She's feeling a little better today. We come home on Sunday and I have to say I'll be glad to get home. I brought my little dog with me, but I miss my husband. It was good for him to have some time alone though - since I'm not working I'm home almost all the time.

Still stable on 4 mg with the plan being to start alternating 4/2 next week. Still feel good and energetic although this packing is kicking my booty!

Hope you are having a good week!

Best,
Elizabeth
Unread 08-30-2014, 12:39 AM   #50
Eliza12

Oh I forgot to tell you - the reunion was very nice. I felt a little self-conscious but not too bad. I did get my Mom's present on Friday and even made a 2nd stop to get the snacks we were bringing, so saved my husband a trip. All in all, good experiences! :-)