Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 08-08-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
Harry

Default Any longterm health problems?

My son has been drinking at college parties. He doesn't "need " a drink but when he does drink he appears to drink a lot based on how he acts the next day. beside the obvious drinking and driving dangers are there any long term health damage caused by this type of drinking or being young will he just get through it?
Harry
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2007, 08:01 PM   #2
Chris

Harry,

College drinking is a huge issue for sure. Is your son living at home? First thing that comes to mind is what are the situations in which your son is drinking and how often is he "drinking a lot". There is some research out there that suggests that college binge drinking can cause some health issues but there isn't much information about long term effects. One thing for sure is that if he is starting at a young age, that sets him up for potential life-time dependence on alcohol not only physiologically but mentally.

I have heard that binge drinking can effect memory, physical growth, and the ability to think clearly (not just while drinking). I would think that periods of heavy drinking (especially to the point of blackout) definitely wipe out mass amounts of brain cells. I will take a look around to see if I can come up with any specific information on this idea.

I know some parents who have gone as far as to contact their child's resident advisor in the dorms or their academic advisor/dean when they have concerns about drinking and substance use. If the college has a counseling office, the deans or residence-life staff can often request and even require that the student be evaluated by a counselor before they are allowed to stay in the dorms. Check this out and see if you are truly concerned about your son's situation. Also, the next time your son is home visiting, think about setting up a doctor's visit for him to get a full physical. Often (though not often enough), primary care doctors will ask questions about alcohol use
and take some of the burden of expressing concern or asking questions off of you.

I will let you know if I find any more specific information about health damage.
Chris
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
Harry

Thanks Chris,
Those are great ideas. My son lives off campus in an apartment with some of his buddies. I know our primary care physician well enough to talk to him so that might be a good way to get the knowledge to him. I'm hoping its just a phase. I went through one myself when I was his age, but it scares me to think what he's doing. looking back I realize how reckless I was. Thanks again Chris.
Harry
Unread 08-10-2007, 12:29 AM   #4
Stacey

HI Harry

Did you read the sections here under education 'Alcohol and Health'? There are some topics there that may help. Especially the one on the brain.

I know that college life endorses this type of behavior. I hope he is smart and outgrows it quickly. Talking to your doctor for help is a good idea. It needs to be from someone he respects.

Good luck.
Stacey
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2007, 02:50 PM   #5
Stacey

Also try this link

http://www.collegedrinkingprevention.gov/

I hope this helps.

Stace
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2007, 06:19 PM   #6
Harry

Thank you both so much, the doctor is going to have a talk with him.

Stacey, That website was very helpful, thanks again.

Harry